ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts
Default Colts own free agents

I'm with Smitty. Miss the discussion around here. With that in mind, what do you folks think about our own free agents? Which ones do you definitely want back? I would like to see Geathers, Desir, Vinnie, Glowinski, Hunt, Milton and Rhodes resigned. Iffy on Farley, Boehm and Mitchell.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

From the "Off Season" thread:
Quote:
1. Exclusive Rights Free Agents Tag:

- WR Marcus Johnson. Showed a bit of ability early in the season before his week six season ending injury with 6 receptions in 5 games played. Happy to bring him back as TC fodder and potential WR4/WR5 depth if he makes the team.

- LS Luke Rhodes. Sure, he has done fine. Whatever.

2. Restricted Free Agent Tag:

- Evan Boehm (26). Tag him with an "original round" tag for around $2.1m for 2019. He was originally a 4th round draft pick in 2016 for Arizona. Valuable part of the depth of the 2018 Colts O-Line interior with position flexibility for OC or OG.

- SS Matthias Farley (27). In his five games prior to IR, he racked up 17 tackles (10 solo), 4 PD, 1 INT, 1 FF and 2 special team tackles. I think he showed ample ability to potentially be that Big Safety-3 when needed or quality depth behind oft-injured Geathers. He was undrafted in 2016 and I would probably be willing to sign him to the 2nd round RFA tender to ensure he is with us next season for around $3.2m for the season. I think he could be important for the secondary going forward.

- CB Chris Milton (27), SS Corey Moore (26), WR Chester Rogers (25), TE Ross Travis (26). All were undrafted and would require the 2nd round tag in order to retain them for the 2019 season (for sure) and I am unsure that any of them are worth it. Signing them to the "original round" tag only ensures that we have the right to match any contract offer someone else might give them. I don't think any of them are more than JAG (Just Another Guy) so I would let them hit free agency and see what happens and sign them back later if they are available and we need to fill the 90 man roster.

3. Unrestricted Free Agents:

First of all, I don't think there is anyone that we use the Franchise Tag or Transition Tag on. No need for either of those.

- OG Mark Glowinski (27). My top free agent re-signing priority as he has really found a home in Indy. Rated the #10 OG by PFF, Glowinski obviously performed fantastically in our offense and I believe he has earned a veteran contract in return for both his performance and his potential to get better with a full off-season with us. Top OGs in the league are making in excess of $10m a year and while I don't think he is there, he should get paid well as I think he is a valuable building block going forward. OGs cap hits between #10 highest and #20 highest are between $7.750m and $5.450m so I think a 3-year, $18m contract at $6m a year seems about right for him. It puts him in the top half of the top paid 32 OGs in the league, is a massive upgrade in the amount of money than he has ever received previously, a nice reward for 1 year of service but also a reminder that it is only 1 year of service at top levels. He will still be able to sign another veteran contract at age 30 if he is still performing at high levels.

- SS Clayton Geathers (27). I like his performance when on the field; however, he is suffering from the Bob Sanders effect; he is not on the field as much as you would like. In the last 3 seasons, he has played in 9, 5 and 12 games for a total of 26 of 48 possible games. When on the field.... Ballard in his end of year presser sounded like he loves Clayton so I suspect that he will be back in 2019 on a veteran contract but it it might have lower guaranteed money with more performance based money for being on the field. Like OGs, top Safeties make over $10m a year but most are not making that much. A 3-year, $18m contract looks about right up his alley as well making him the 16th highest paid safety in the league for 2018 (don't know what safety contracts will do in 2019). I like him.....when on the field.

- CB Pierre Desir (28). Not a top ten CB in the league but capable of throwing up "top ten" performance at times. Held in check some of the best WRs in the league down the stretch while then disappearing at times in other games. You have to keep him as he appears to be a very valuable CB in our scheme and we have thin depth already but the big question is "how much do you pay him?" The journey man jumped up to starter is ripe for disappointment once paid. I am going out on a limb to say a bit less than above, 3-year, $15m contract which would have put his cap hit at #36 for CBs in 2018. I don't want him to walk but we need better starting CBs than him in the long run.

- WR Dontrelle Inman (30). 2nd best WR on the roster for 2018 coming up big down the stretch as the only solid complement to T.Y. we had. Would love to see him get a 1-year priority contract at around $3m in order to lock him in as the WR3 to start 2019 (or WR2 if we fail completely to find better). My hope would be that younger studs (Cain, Fountain, Pascal, 2019 rookies) would step up and take the WR2/3/4 spots by mid-season pushing Inman down to depth but if that does not happen, he is a great safety blanket.

- PK Adam Vinatieri (47). Yeah, $3.750m, bring him back.

- DL Margus Hunt (32), FS Mike Mitchell (32), OG Matt Slausson (33), OT J'Marcus Webb (32), NT Al Woods (32). I.E. "The Old Guard." Loved the play of all these older guys at times during the season but, honestly, I hope we can fill the roster with younger guys of similar or better talent to take their places. If a few of them get 1-year contracts for "one more year" then I would not be concerned but none should get multiple-year contracts. We have to invest the money in younger, longer term solutions.

- LB Najee Goode (30), WR Ryan Grant (28), DE Geno Grissom (28), TE Ryan Hewitt (28), S J.J. Wilcox (30). Just, no. Hope some other team finds use for you but not the Colts.
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

glowinski
desir
farley or geathers (preferably for depth)
boehm (depth)
inman (WR#3)
Old 01-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I'm with Smitty. Miss the discussion around here. With that in mind, what do you folks think about our own free agents? Which ones do you definitely want back? I would like to see Geathers, Desir, Vinnie, Glowinski, Hunt, Milton and Rhodes resigned. Iffy on Farley, Boehm and Mitchell.
There are 27 of them, IIRC. There is no way we can turn over that many this offseason. I would guess we see 15 return. Which 15 is up for debate. I will have to find the list and see which ones should be pursued and which should be let look elsewhere.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
There are 27 of them, IIRC. There is no way we can turn over that many this offseason. I would guess we see 15 return. Which 15 is up for debate. I will have to find the list and see which ones should be pursued and which should be let look elsewhere.
I was more thinking about just players other teams might want to steal. I totally agree that we will sign a lot more than just the guys I mentioned to fill out the roster.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Find an O line coach who can teach and reinforce technique
Old 01-17-2019, 08:00 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
All that you mentioned except Milton, Boehm and then it's a tossup between Farley and Mitchell, but they should keep one of the two for now.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
From the "Off Season" thread:
So dumb how the NFL doesnt differentiate by individual position within offensive line for the franchise tag. The tag is $14M, full stop.

I feel like a franchise tag value for OG’s would be significantly lower (not factoring all the enormously wealthy LT’s) and that with all our stupid cap space that we could justify whatever it would be for Glowinski on a one year deal to ensure continuity.

But even with our stupid cap space, can’t justify $14M for Glowinski.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:25 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
So dumb how the NFL doesnt differentiate by individual position within offensive line for the franchise tag. The tag is $14M, full stop.

I feel like a franchise tag value for OG’s would be significantly lower (not factoring all the enormously wealthy LT’s) and that with all our stupid cap space that we could justify whatever it would be for Glowinski on a one year deal to ensure continuity.

But even with our stupid cap space, can’t justify $14M for Glowinski.
Why the hell are people saying “full stop” now? Sounds fucking retarded
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:59 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Why the hell are people saying “full stop” now? Sounds fucking retarded
Are you from the past? It has been a thing for a long time. Shit, I am probably older than you I knew it was a thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
sherck (01-18-2019)