ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-11-2022, 09:16 PM

Default Colts 20 - Texans 20 : My Thoughts

The Good:

- JT....JT.....JT A stud among men. Golden performance showing that he is one of the main reasons we will win games this season.

- Pittman. The only true receiving weapon on the roster at the moment. I have hopes that Reggie and Ryan will develop others but for now, he is it.

- Grover Stewart. Great game, big man! And he was so close to a couple of other TFLs.

- Kwity Paye. Not much going on in regulation but came up BIG in OT. Yeah, Austin Mills held the ball for too long but Pays was the one to make him.....pay (heh...)

- O-line (minus Braden Smith). I did not hear Pryors' or Raimann's or Pinter's names all game. Team ran for 150+ and Ryan had time on most of his attempts. They won their matchups.

The Bad:

- Defense scheme was soft. Sub-par QB should have had us pressing receivers to disrupt timing routes. Instead, we played soft zone and allowed Mills time to hurt us. Luckly, this is bad and not ugly because Mills is not skilled enough to hurt us badly.

- Braden Smith. Is he hurt? Was he drunk? Did a neighbor have a loud party that kept him up all night? Whatever it was, he did not play one of his best games today.

The Ugly:

- Specs. Needs to be cut NOW! 2 kickoffs out of bounds? Missed field goal to win the game? If a kicker has questionable leg strengthening like Specs, then he better be accurate as all get out inside his range. He is not.

- Offensive play calling. The wildcat at 4th and goal took half of possible play calling (the pass) off the table. The two play before the failed FG in overtime? Unneeded and harmful. Lack of downfield passing early in the game to back the box off. This offensive system was terrible...it was only saved by JT...JT.....JT.

- Coaching. We started well-ish but the failed 4th down was a let down that the team folded over. Coaches could not scheme them out of it. Situation football was terrible.

In the end, a tie is better than a loss but I have no idea what kind of team we have.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
1965southpaw (09-12-2022), apballin (09-11-2022), CletusPyle (09-11-2022), Dewey 5 (09-11-2022), IndyNorm (09-11-2022), omahacolt (09-11-2022), Racehorse (09-12-2022), Spike (09-11-2022), YDFL Commish (09-11-2022), ZionsvilleColtsFan (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 09:23 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
The Good:

- JT....JT.....JT A stud among men. Golden performance showing that he is one of the main reasons we will win games this season.

- Pittman. The only true receiving weapon on the roster at the moment. I have hopes that Reggie and Ryan will develop others but for now, he is it.

- Grover Stewart. Great game, big man! And he was so close to a couple of other TFLs.

- Kwity Paye. Not much going on in regulation but came up BIG in OT. Yeah, Austin Mills held the ball for too long but Pays was the one to make him.....pay (heh...)

- O-line (minus Braden Smith). I did not hear Pryors' or Raimann's or Pinter's names all game. Team ran for 150+ and Ryan had time on most of his attempts. They won their matchups.

The Bad:

- Defense scheme was soft. Sub-par QB should have had us pressing receivers to disrupt timing routes. Instead, we played soft zone and allowed Mills time to hurt us. Luckly, this is bad and not ugly because Mills is not skilled enough to hurt us badly.

- Braden Smith. Is he hurt? Was he drunk? Did a neighbor have a loud party that kept him up all night? Whatever it was, he did not play one of his best games today.

The Ugly:

- Specs. Needs to be cut NOW! 2 kickoffs out of bounds? Missed field goal to win the game? If a kicker has questionable leg strengthening like Specs, then he better be accurate as all get out inside his range. He is not.

- Offensive play calling. The wildcat at 4th and goal took half of possible play calling (the pass) off the table. The two play before the failed FG in overtime? Unneeded and harmful. Lack of downfield passing early in the game to back the box off. This offensive system was terrible...it was only saved by JT...JT.....JT.

- Coaching. We started well-ish but the failed 4th down was a let down that the team folded over. Coaches could not scheme them out of it. Situation football was terrible.

In the end, a tie is better than a loss but I have no idea what kind of team we have.
My favorite part of this analysis!

We also had some terrible penalties in this game, we also had our share of these last season. I suppose they could be bad calls, I thought both PIs were bad, but those holding penalties are drive killers!

Last edited by CletusPyle; 09-11-2022 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:31 PM

Thanked 1,344 Times in 758 Posts

Good analysis, but too soft on the coaching staff. We beat this team twice by a combined score of 62-3 last year. Them adding Jerry Hughes shouldn't be a 30 point swing, especially considering the better upgrades we made in comparison to them (at least we were lead to believe they were better). There's a reason why we're 0-4-1 in openers under Reich despite not having played a single playoff team to open the season in that stretch.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 09:52 PM

Thanked 1,900 Times in 927 Posts

Pittman and Taylor are absolute studs.

Pierce had an awful game. That drop on a perfectly thrown ball really pissed me off. My dogs thought I was nuts cursing at the tv.

Strachan had a decent game, which for the Colts means he actually caught the ball when it was thrown to him.

Gransen had a drop but I expect that from him. The man has tree limbs for hands.

Stuard was a good pick up. Good special teams guy. Also, great hair.

I think this catastrophe makes next week in Jacksonville almost a must win.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:58 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Pittman and Taylor are absolute studs.

Pierce had an awful game. That drop on a perfectly thrown ball really pissed me off. My dogs thought I was nuts cursing at the tv.

Strachan had a decent game, which for the Colts means he actually caught the ball when it was thrown to him.

Gransen had a drop but I expect that from him. The man has tree limbs for hands.

Stuard was a good pick up. Good special teams guy. Also, great hair.

I think this catastrophe makes next week in Jacksonville almost a must win.
That hit Pierce took didn't help much...a win next week makes the pain go away!
Old 09-11-2022, 10:05 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Smith took his money and ran. He was a stud until he got paid. POS

We root for a mediocre at best team. Lots of talk about what if's, just like every other losing team. For this season to work we needed defense with a pass rush and for receivers to step up. Neither has happened. We are not elite anywhere. It will be a long frustrating season again.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 09-11-2022 at 10:11 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CanuckColt (09-12-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 11:26 PM

Thanked 1,670 Times in 798 Posts

This was a game of player-induced miscues. Gameplan my ass. Rewatch and you'll see how many times we tripped over our own dick.

-First off, the Texans played better than expected. Especially some young guys on D, and especially early. Lovie Smith is a good (defensive) coach.

-That said... from what I looked up, this was the 3rd most total yards the Colts have gained since moving to IND. The offense moved the ball like crazy. The issues they had were situational errors that they couldn't overcome. But as far as offensive gameplan, they passed and ran it all over the field.

-On the failed 4th and Goal... You can question not taking the points. But at that point in the game, the Colts had the ball basically the entire 1st qtr and HOU had only managed 13yds on two 3-and-outs. Not a crazy gamble.

-As for the wildcat play being dumb... I mean, whatever. Jonathan Greenard made a great play by faking like he was taking Taylor and forcing Hines to keep it before nailing him. We've done goofy wildcat shit before like vs the Patriots last year when Taylor was lead blocker for Hines and nobody criticized it then.

-Colts moved the ball from their own 25 to HOU 22 before Ryan throws that baffling INT to Hughes. And later they move from their own 25 to HOU 30 before Braden Smith gives up a sack-fumble and false-start on consecutive plays, killing that drive. Neither of those drives failed due to gameplan.

-Moore gives up a 33yd PI before the TD, they hit a flea-flicker for another FG, and then Ryan fumbles the snap in HOU territory. Not gameplan.

-Roughing the passer, and then their TE beats us up the seam again. 20-3.

-After another Ryan fumble (he had 4), we pin them at the 1yd line, about to get great field position, right?... and then we run into the kicker... add another 21yd PI call and it turns into a 6+min drive that bleeds into the 4th qtr.

-4th qtr they keep moving the ball minus the fuck-ups and the D straightens out, gets a clutch turnover, and then boom, 20-20.

-In OT, same story, D stuffs them and the offense continues to moves the ball right down to the 19. I don't know why Ryan didn't throw the ball away instead of taking the sack... but it was only a 5yd difference, which didn't matter because...

-Whether that FG attempt was 42yds or 37yds, Goggles did his best Vanderjagt impersonation and shit himself. That's not even mentioning the fact that he gave those fuckers the ball at the 40 on consecutive kicks before that.

Add up all these miscues by the players and the world won't be a mystery to you.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-11-2022), Indystu2 (09-13-2022), Ironshaft (09-12-2022), omahacolt (09-12-2022), Racehorse (09-12-2022), TheMugwump (09-12-2022), YDFL Commish (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 12:41 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Three players have not been living up to their contracts and seem to be in a downward spiral. Smith and Kelly have not been the same players they were starting the last year and certainly this game. Moore has had three lousy games in a row. Not sure what the issues are, they seem to be fine physically, but they need to turn it around pronto.
Old 09-12-2022, 01:51 AM

Pretty obvious that the refs and Vegas are much richer.

Other than that, Ryan’s arm strength is less than I had hoped.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
Pretty obvious that the refs and Vegas are much richer.

Other than that, Ryan’s arm strength is less than I had hoped.
After rewatching the game I question everything. I love Jim, I love the shoe but damn the big $!