ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: Who do you want at 15?
Quinyon Mitchell 6 26.09%
Laiatu Latu 1 4.35%
Jared Verse 1 4.35%
Dallas Turner 2 8.70%
Terrion Arnold 2 8.70%
Brian Thomas Jr. 2 8.70%
Adonai Mitchell 0 0%
Trade Up (Include for whom in a post) 1 4.35%
Trade Down (Include explanation in a post) 5 21.74%
Other (Include explanation in a post) 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
The offense has no outside speed, heavily invested in defense. They’ve gotta make things easier for Richardson, get him an elite weapon that’s ready to play right away
I can't remember ever seeing MJP being caught from behind, and Pierce was drafted for his deep speed. The Colts had weapons galore with Manning, but only one Lombardi trophy. IMO this team needs an elite defensive end, or the offense will be back to having to score on every possession.
The Following User Says Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 09:23 AM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
I can't remember ever seeing MJP being caught from behind, and Pierce was drafted for his deep speed. The Colts had weapons galore with Manning, but only one Lombardi trophy. IMO this team needs an elite defensive end, or the offense will be back to having to score on every possession.
I disagree, the pass rush by committee worked last year and they can draft a situational pass rush guy like Booker later in the draft
Old 04-14-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I disagree, the pass rush by committee worked last year and they can draft a situational pass rush guy like Booker later in the draft
I won't disagree that at times the pass rush by committee did work, but on more than one occasion it didn't, like game 17 vs the Texans, or against the Bengals, Saints or Falcons. The Colts need that one guy that can take over a game defensively.
Old 04-14-2024, 02:28 PM

Thanked 4,299 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
lack of pass rush was a major issue last year

and I suspect will be again this year
Old 04-14-2024, 03:14 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,139 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
I won't disagree that at times the pass rush by committee did work, but on more than one occasion it didn't, like game 17 vs the Texans, or against the Bengals, Saints or Falcons. The Colts need that one guy that can take over a game defensively.
Every team has periods of a game where the pass rush is non existent I don’t care who it is, Did Parsons take over the game vs the Packers? Bosa take over the superbowl?

DPOY didn’t even make the playoffs

Offense sells tickets and wins championships nowadays
Old 04-14-2024, 06:44 PM

Thanked 1,342 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
AR has weapons, MPJ, Downs, Pierce and JT. What this team doesn't have is a legitimate pass rusher, and Ballard knows it. This years draft is deep in WR and CB, so IMHO, if Ballard can draft a pass rushing, get to QB stud he should.
Don't disagree that we need an elite pass rusher at DE. But the most important thing both short and long term is developing AR. So surrounding him w/ enough talent to succeed should be the priority, and (at least IMO) he doesn't have enough weapons in the passing game. Yes, MPJ and Downs fit the bill, but JT and Pierce don't (again at least IMO). While JT's a great runner he is an average pass catcher. Pierce is a one trick pony who struggles to get separation and also struggles to make contested catches. So if we have the chance to add an elite receiver to the mix then we should do so IMO.

Quote:
I have heard that the bottom of this draft will be weaker than usual due to NIL deals for college players who would have been late round picks, so trading up and losing a sixth or seventh would not hurt much. However, I think it will take more than that to move up enough to get a good player.
No doubt it'll take more than just a late rounder or 2 to move up, but IMO it would be worth the draft capital to move up and draft some elite talent. Like I said before the chances of that are slim to none, but it's something I would like to see.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-14-2024), Racehorse (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 08:07 PM

Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Don't disagree that we need an elite pass rusher at DE. But the most important thing both short and long term is developing AR. So surrounding him w/ enough talent to succeed should be the priority, and (at least IMO) he doesn't have enough weapons in the passing game. Yes, MPJ and Downs fit the bill, but JT and Pierce don't (again at least IMO). While JT's a great runner he is an average pass catcher. Pierce is a one trick pony who struggles to get separation and also struggles to make contested catches. So if we have the chance to add an elite receiver to the mix then we should do so IMO.

No doubt it'll take more than just a late rounder or 2 to move up, but IMO it would be worth the draft capital to move up and draft some elite talent. Like I said before the chances of that are slim to none, but it's something I would like to see.
We should also see the return of Dulin. He can get separation and catch the ball. I just don't know if he will get onto the field much, outside of special teams.
Old 04-14-2024, 08:25 PM

Thanked 2,273 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
We should also see the return of Dulin. He can get separation and catch the ball. I just don't know if he will get onto the field much, outside of special teams.
Is Chris Ballard trolling our board?
Old 04-14-2024, 08:32 PM

Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Is Chris Ballard trolling our board?
Nah, but Dulin has speed. He just doesn't have football experience at WR to go with it.
Old 04-14-2024, 10:42 PM

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
or better yet make a big move into the top 10 to get one of the 3 elite WRs. I know chances are slim to none of us trading up,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
so trading up and losing a sixth or seventh would not hurt much. However, I think it will take more than that to move up enough to get a good player.

Reportedly, the Jets are exploring trading down from 1.10.

If you look at some of the draft value charts, a trade with the Jets would look something like this:

Jets send:

Colts send:

Basically a pick swap - the Colts would lose their mid round 2nd round pick and replace it with the Jets early 3rd round pick to move up 5 spots in the 1st Round.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (04-15-2024)