ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Take note - JAX is an example of why you don't build your team through free agency. Several here were touting JAX as an example of successfully utilizing free agency to make a competitive team, and while they looked good for a year or two, but they're now dealing with the consequences of all of that spending. Keep in mind that just 2-3 years ago JAX was leading the league in available cap space, just like the Colts are now.
I think they are an example of going for broke. If they win a Superbowl, is it worth it? With competent QB play they are better than the pats. I think the pats are a better example of building through FA consistently, because they are mediocre at drafting.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
It's crazy that the Colts could sign Flowers, Collins, and Tyrell Williams and still have 50% of their cap space remaining. But I guess that's what happens when you don't have to sign players to 2nd contracts. Grigson was such a fuck up.
All he had to do was draft players they could develop, they didn't even have to be starters right away. He couldn't even do that. Couldn't build a line even though he went through countless picks and FA's. Couldn't build a D. Had a good draft that first draft, then that was it. I bet that draft was more Telesco than him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Yet, there will be armchair GM's bitching about our lack of spending during the free agent period.
Those people just want action and think just by signing guys we will be better. Ballard will probably do what he did last year. Go after a couple of top guys, but won't overspend. Then wait and see how the market shakes out. Then find some quality guys looking for more of a starting role after developing for a couple of years.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-05-2019 at 01:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:17 PM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,226 Posts

The difference between this year and last is that the winning culture has been established and FA's now know that with a healthy Luck, a dominant OL and good coaching that they could be joining a future champion.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Take note - JAX is an example of why you don't build your team through free agency. Several here were touting JAX as an example of successfully utilizing free agency to make a competitive team, and while they looked good for a year or two, but they're now dealing with the consequences of all of that spending. Keep in mind that just 2-3 years ago JAX was leading the league in available cap space, just like the Colts are now.
On the other hand, the Broncos went for broke in free agency and won the Super Bowl. The Rams went for broke and had Goff not shit the bed they’d also be (mercifully) Super Bowl champs right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coltsalr For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-08-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,665 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltsalr View Post
On the other hand, the Broncos went for broke in free agency and won the Super Bowl. The Rams went for broke and had Goff not shit the bed they’d also be (mercifully) Super Bowl champs right now.
The Broncos and Rams also drafted well in those time frames. Both teams, despite adding significantly in free agency, still had mostly drafted starters. Both teams started with good core pieces and supplemented that with free agents. Jacksonville built their core through free agency, which is why their run was so short and fell apart so quickly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (03-06-2019), Chromeburn (03-08-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
The Broncos and Rams also drafted well in those time frames. Both teams, despite adding significantly in free agency, still had mostly drafted starters. Both teams started with good core pieces and supplemented that with free agents. Jacksonville built their core through free agency, which is why their run was so short and fell apart so quickly.
Yeah, absolutely. And the Colts have now finally drafted well under Ballard.

Augment another solid draft with a couple of splash signings like the Broncos/Rams had (say if we got Flowers/Collins and then Christian Wilkins/AJ Brown as the top two picks) and this will be a dangerous team.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think they are an example of going for broke. If they win a Superbowl, is it worth it? With competent QB play they are better than the pats. I think the pats are a better example of building through FA consistently, because they are mediocre at drafting.
If I win the lottery, was it worth buying a ticket? It's a silly question. Just because the ultimate outcome ends up being good doesn't mean it was a smart decision. Every lottery winner would be a genius!

Furthermore, JAX didn't have a lot of free agent busts either - so their failures can't be blamed on poor free agent talent evaluation. It's just that excessive spending has put them in a box that will handcuff them for the next few years and severely limit their chances of getting better. And the point is that the Colts could end up the same way if they try to go for the easy fix and don't maintain financial discipline and stay true to their philosophy.

As for the Pats, well, I don't give them much credit for anything given their methods, so I won't accept them as an example of anything good or right...
Old 03-08-2019, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Jags have released DT Malik Jackson, S Tashaun Gipson, RT Jermey Parnell, LS Carson Tinker and RB Carlos Hyde.

Trying to get enough cap space to sign Foles I imagine ???

They did re-sign ex-Colt long snapper Matt Overton
Old 03-08-2019, 02:50 PM

Thanked 1,206 Times in 531 Posts

Malik Jackson? Sure, he is 29 years old but still a quality guy to put in a DT rotation!

That would be one I will be interested to see if Ballard kicks the tires.

Walk Worthy,
Old 03-08-2019, 04:06 PM
Post whore

Quote:
If I win the lottery, was it worth buying a ticket? It's a silly question. Just because the ultimate outcome ends up being good doesn't mean it was a smart decision. Every lottery winner would be a genius!

Furthermore, JAX didn't have a lot of free agent busts either - so their failures can't be blamed on poor free agent talent evaluation. It's just that excessive spending has put them in a box that will handcuff them for the next few years and severely limit their chances of getting better. And the point is that the Colts could end up the same way if they try to go for the easy fix and don't maintain financial discipline and stay true to their philosophy.

As for the Pats, well, I don't give them much credit for anything given their methods, so I won't accept them as an example of anything good or right...
So if they win the Superbowl, they still should not have done it?