PDA

View Full Version : NFL new Anthem policy

Puck
05-23-2018, 01:14 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/05/23/nfl-adopts-policy-to-fine-club-if-players-and-personnel-dont-stand-for-national-anthem.html

rcubed
05-23-2018, 02:02 PM
I think its stupid that this is an issue.

at least they are giving the players the option to stay in the locker room so they wont be fined

Brylok
05-23-2018, 02:11 PM
I'm a veteran and I've never understood why they have to play the anthem before every sporting event. International events? Fine. Game falls on a holiday? Fine. It's just always seemed unnecessary to me.

sherck
05-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Seriously, the league needed to have left this one alone.

If players wanted to do so, they could stand or kneel, it is a free country.

If a HC had an issue with that, he could choose to play or not play a player.

If an owner or GM had an issue with that, he could choose to release or not release a player.

Let grown men make their own decisions.......but also let them reap the conquences of their own actions.

The part that I don't like is when Reid or Kappercorn whine on TV about it being "unfair" that no one will sign them. Sorry, you got to do your political protest but then you also get to reap the conquences of those actions and those conquences is that no one wants to employ you.

In the real world, you don't get to have it both ways.

But, mandating something like this? I think the NFL is dumb to do so. Just as stupid for not letting Peyton wear black hightops to honor Unitias or fining folks for wearing the wrong shade of pink on their shoes during TaTa Awareness Month.

Walk Worthy,

Chromeburn
05-23-2018, 04:43 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/05/23/nfl-adopts-policy-to-fine-club-if-players-and-personnel-dont-stand-for-national-anthem.html

Nothing more patriotic than forcing people to stand for your anthem.

albany ed
05-23-2018, 05:38 PM
I'm a veteran and I've never understood why they have to play the anthem before every sporting event. International events? Fine. Game falls on a holiday? Fine. It's just always seemed unnecessary to me.

I'm a veteran too. When it plays, I proudly stand, hand over heart, but I agree, it's an unnecessary tradition. I remember going to the movie theatre on base and they played it before the movies, and you had to stand at attention. That one seemed unnecessary too. But, if you are going to play it, you have to respect the right of protest. It's the American way.

Butter
05-23-2018, 06:21 PM

It is indoctrination. Same thing with the pledge of allegiance.

YDFL Commish
05-23-2018, 06:25 PM
Why is the NFL the only sport having this issue?

omahacolt
05-23-2018, 06:39 PM
The nfl is clueless

I hope no player comes out anymore. Easy solution is to play the anthem before the players come out. Everyone can sit down and then do some kind of special entry to get the crowd fired up

The nfl always finds ways to complicate shit

omahacolt
05-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Good question

Chromeburn
05-23-2018, 07:46 PM

I had a guy come over to fix something. I had football on and he saw it. Then he went on a rant about players being disrespectful, they should be thankful, no one kneels at his work, how dare they, he would never watch another NFL game, etc. I was kind of shocked, I didn't realize president Trump had come over to fix my toilet. I believe he represents a huge section of the NFL fanbase. That is why this is an issue. the rest don't care and don't pay any attention to it.

Butter
05-23-2018, 07:52 PM
I had a guy come over to fix something. I had football on and he saw it. Then he went on a rant about players being disrespectful, they should be thankful, no one kneels at his work, how dare they, he would never watch another NFL game, etc. I didn't realize president Trump had come over to fix my toilet. I believe he represents a huge section of the NFL fanbase. That is why this is an issue. the rest don't care and don't pay any attention to it.

I understand why the NFL is averse to this, and honestly, I really don't have a problem with an employer wanting to avoid political shit in the product they are selling. How stupid a huge part of the country disturbs me greatly.

Chromeburn
05-23-2018, 08:06 PM
I understand why the NFL is averse to this, and honestly, I really don't have a problem with an employer wanting to avoid political shit in the product they are selling. How stupid a huge part of the country disturbs me greatly.

Problem is they kind of started this. They have crafted a nationalistic image, all the flag waving, rah-rah hyperbole that goes on before a game is meant to do that, military flyovers, blasting patriotic rock songs. Even NFL films borrowed a bunch of techniques from Leni Riefenstahl. They sometimes resemble all the propaganda films from WW2. They have engineered this image on purpose over the years, then it backfired when some of the players decided they wanted to protest.

They are a corporation, they care about profit and maintaining an image that continues to support that profit. A bunch of billionaires don't want a bunch of new money millionaires to rock the boat.

testcase448
05-23-2018, 08:22 PM
The problem is this
The NFL fan base is largely Patriotic and Proud of the US...
They see the utter disrespect shown the country by a pack of over paid left wing, lying sumbitches with no real cause
They have the right to kneel at home, not to protest at your place of work.

Owners have a right to not hire a cancer like copacock, an over privileged little punk.

Owners know this idiotic bullshit hurts their revenue and have the right to protect their investment.

The truly unpatriotic part is protesting the flag that lets the mental midgets the place to make millions. Half of which without the NFL and scholarships handed out like candy would be in prison

Want to really protest the US? Move the fuck out... head to Somalia.. Show your true protest with some real skin in the game.
Until you do that you're just a stupid fuck.
I don't blame people for switching them off. They kneel I'm gone this year too.

YDFL Commish
05-23-2018, 08:23 PM

My analogy is this:

If you own a place of business, don't you have a right to discipline employees who are making your business less profitable?

Again, my original question; why aren't the NBA, MLB, NHL or NCAA having protests?

omahacolt
05-23-2018, 08:52 PM
My analogy is this:

If you own a place of business, don't you have a right to discipline employees who are making your business less profitable?

Again, my original question; why aren't the NBA, MLB, NHL or NCAA having protests?

Are the other leagues out for the anthem? I think baseball dudes are but not sure

The nfl has a bunch of hillbilly racists that watch. They have a problem with the protesters more than the protest

Butter
05-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Problem is they kind of started this. They have crafted a nationalistic image, all the flag waving, rah-rah hyperbole that goes on before a game is meant to do that, military flyovers, blasting patriotic rock songs. Even NFL films borrowed a bunch of techniques from Leni Riefenstahl. They sometimes resemble all the propaganda films from WW2. They have engineered this image on purpose over the years, then it backfired when some of the players decided they wanted to protest.

They are a corporation, they care about profit and maintaining an image that continues to support that profit. A bunch of billionaires don't want a bunch of new money millionaires to rock the boat.

You are not wrong, they screwed up when they took money from the Military for all the rah-rah flag waving bullshit.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nation/2015/11/06/Department-of-Defense-paid-53-million-to-pro-sports-for-military-tributes-report-says/stories/201511060140

rm1369
05-23-2018, 10:32 PM
They have a problem with the protesters more than the protest

Yes, they have the audacity to be black and take a stand. A much to large part of the country has a problem with that. I find it ironic that those who cheer Trump for not being politically correct are the most butt hurt about the silent protests.

Leave it to the NFL to screw this up. They’ve gave in to Trump and I think it will embolden him even more. He doesnt give a damn what people do during the anthem. He wants to hurt the NFL. If he can play to his racist base at the same time even better. The NFL comes off bad in this and gives him a win. He’ll find another way to try to hurt them.

Brylok
05-23-2018, 11:01 PM
I hope no player comes out anymore. Easy solution is to play the anthem before the players come out. Everyone can sit down and then do some kind of special entry to get the crowd fired up
Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Every owner should have their team wait in the tunnel until the anthem is over and then go out. The whole thing would be squashed within the next season.

rcubed
05-24-2018, 01:41 AM
The problem is this
The NFL fan base is largely Patriotic and Proud of the US...
They see the utter disrespect shown the country by a pack of over paid left wing, lying sumbitches with no real cause
They have the right to kneel at home, not to protest at your place of work.

Owners have a right to not hire a cancer like copacock, an over privileged little punk.

Owners know this idiotic bullshit hurts their revenue and have the right to protect their investment.

The truly unpatriotic part is protesting the flag that lets the mental midgets the place to make millions. Half of which without the NFL and scholarships handed out like candy would be in prison

Want to really protest the US? Move the fuck out... head to Somalia.. Show your true protest with some real skin in the game.
Until you do that you're just a stupid fuck.
Fucktard.

Oldcolt
05-24-2018, 04:52 AM
I guess I don’t understand patriotism. I thought that even though I disagree with you I’ll fight for your right to say it, if it’s done in a nonviolent way. This, to me, is not a patriotic move by the NFL. It is exactly the opposite of patriotism and furthermore is idiotic in that it brings MORE attention to those protesting. By the way they are not protesting our country but how they feel our country is not living up to it’s ideals. Agree or disagree it is a debate with having in my own opinion

albany ed
05-24-2018, 05:54 AM
They kneel I'm gone this year too.

Please, someone kneel.

omahacolt
05-24-2018, 06:01 AM
I guess I don’t understand patriotism. I thought that even though I disagree with you I’ll fight for your right to say it, if it’s done in a nonviolent way. This, to me, is not a patriotic move by the NFL. It is exactly the opposite of patriotism and furthermore is idiotic in that it brings MORE attention to those protesting. By the way they are not protesting our country but how they feel our country is not living up to it’s ideals. Agree or disagree it is a debate with having in my own opinion

Good post

Forced patriotism isn’t patriotic and is not what this country was founded on.

Pez
05-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Next year they they should make the fans stand up and put their phones away or revoke their seat privileges.

I stand (at home even). My opinion changed on this when I went to the Cleveland game last year. A daughter and dad were in front of me and the daughter was on her phone. Should I have talked to Dad about how he needed to teach his daughter the proper respect, no. Once you get there you come to the conclusion that how any individual chooses to respect the anthem is no ones business at all.

And the NFL didn't solve anything. They just moved the protest to the tunnel.

rm1369
05-24-2018, 06:39 AM
And the NFL didn't solve anything. They just moved the protest to the tunnel.

Where there are no cameras. A protest that isn’t seen has little to no effect. Of course the media attention is such that it will be a story for the first few games, but it will die down quickly. Unless Trump decides to continue to use it to hurt the nfl I guess. Which is entirely possible.

testcase448
05-24-2018, 07:06 AM
Fucktard.

That does some you up pretty much, as does imbecile.

testcase448
05-24-2018, 07:07 AM
Please, someone kneel.

you first... unzips pants in front of you

testcase448
05-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Simple solution...

Six game suspension for violating league rules first offense, season long second time. Permanent the third.

You can kneel all you like...

If you're truly committed to your cause, go for it.

testcase448
05-24-2018, 07:13 AM

Do it at home... do it on the street.

They hurt the league and their lively hood.. nothing like a pack of over paid snowflakes whining about "unfairness" in the US.

Want to really show your commitment? Leave the US if it's "unfair"

Then I'd listen to your idiot views

rm1369
05-24-2018, 07:32 AM

They hurt the league and their lively hood.. nothing like a pack of over paid snowflakes whining about "unfairness" in the US.

I love the snowflake reference from someone so fragile that seeing someone quietly kneel hurts their poor little feelings.

Oldcolt
05-24-2018, 07:55 AM

This country is great because we not only allow ‘idiot’ views like mine to be heard, we have a system where change can occur without resorting to violence. Name calling, while allowed and protected, isn’t very effective in changing minds. Your idea that if I disagree with your point of view I should leave the country points to your lack of understanding about what this wonderful country is all about

Pez
05-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Where there are no cameras. A protest that isn’t seen has little to no effect. Of course the media attention is such that it will be a story for the first few games, but it will die down quickly. Unless Trump decides to continue to use it to hurt the nfl I guess. Which is entirely possible.

I hope it dies.

When you start dissecting the "patriotism" of this, the league would not have done anything if there was not backlash from the public that cost them some revenue.

Anyone who thinks Godell is addressing this because of his own personal sense of patriotism is a fool. Godell is addressing this because he wants more money.

Whats worse... godell selling patriotism for money or a player exercising his 1st amendment rights?

Pez
05-24-2018, 09:55 AM

You're so full of shit.... you're telling me you have watched players kneel every game for two years now, but if you see it one more time that's it?

Are you keeping an internal kneel count before you are fed up and had enough?

The fact that you still watch football after two years of this scandal, you arent exactly eating your own soup: "If you're truly committed to your cause, go for it."

VeveJones007
05-24-2018, 10:05 AM

This is the perfect response to those saying the players don’t have the right to politicize this particular protest and the NFL can do whatever it wants. The NFL already politicized its product. You can’t just randomly turn off the faucet.

rm1369
05-24-2018, 10:44 AM
Chris Long sums it up pretty well:

“This is fear of a diminished bottom line. It’s also fear of a president turning his base against a corporation. This ¡s not patriotism. Don’t get it confused. These owners don’t love America more than the players demonstrating and taking real action to improve it. It also lets you, the fan, know where our league stands. I will continue to be committed to affecting change with my platform. I’m someone who’s always looked at the anthem as a declaration of ideals, including the right to peaceful protest. Our league continues to fall short on this issue.”

testcase448
05-24-2018, 11:01 AM
This country is great because we not only allow ‘idiot’ views like mine to be heard, we have a system where change can occur without resorting to violence. Name calling, while allowed and protected, isn’t very effective in changing minds. Your idea that if I disagree with your point of view I should leave the country points to your lack of understanding about what this wonderful country is all about

READING COMPREHENSION...

If you REALLY believe this country sucks, LEAVE for a better place.

Don't stay and cash a huge paycheck while protesting "unfairness". it makes you look stupid.

Life isn't fair to anyone, anywhere, anytime... stop whining while making millions playing a child's game

testcase448
05-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Chris Long sums it up pretty well:

“This is fear of a diminished bottom line. It’s also fear of a president turning his base against a corporation. This ¡s not patriotism. Don’t get it confused. These owners don’t love America more than the players demonstrating and taking real action to improve it. It also lets you, the fan, know where our league stands. I will continue to be committed to affecting change with my platform. I’m someone who’s always looked at the anthem as a declaration of ideals, including the right to peaceful protest. Our league continues to fall short on this issue.”

Real action? LMAO

testcase448
05-24-2018, 11:03 AM
You're so full of shit.... you're telling me you have watched players kneel every game for two years now, but if you see it one more time that's it?

Are you keeping an internal kneel count before you are fed up and had enough?

The fact that you still watch football after two years of this scandal, you arent exactly eating your own soup: "If you're truly committed to your cause, go for it."

I watched about ten minutes in the last two years

Fix it, cut the political bullshit I'll watch this year..

testcase448
05-24-2018, 11:05 AM
I hope it dies.

player exercising his 1st amendment rights?

1st amendment has nothing to do with employer rules

Nothing

none

zilch

rm1369
05-24-2018, 11:25 AM
READING COMPREHENSION...

If you REALLY believe this country sucks, LEAVE for a better place.

Don't stay and cash a huge paycheck while protesting "unfairness". it makes you look stupid

Life isn't fair to anyone, anywhere, anytime... stop whining while making millions playing a child's game

Right, instead whine over the internet about what someone does quietly during a song. That makes you look intelligent.

It’s safe to say you know absolutely nothing about what this country is supposed to stand for. The land of the free? As long as you or Trump approve I guess.

Let me ask Testcase - have you served?

omahacolt
05-24-2018, 11:44 AM
I watched about ten minutes in the last two years

Fix it, cut the political bullshit I'll watch this year..

I doubt people like you are really the type of person the nfl is wanting as a fan

FatDT
05-24-2018, 12:13 PM
Donald Trump is a liar, a criminal, an active and paid agent of hostile foreign nations, a rapist, a child molester, a racist bigot, a philanderer, a fake billionaire and failed businessman. And the NFL just caved to him. Pathetic.

Remember when Europe tried to appease Hitler? Didn't work then, won't work now. He and the GOP and ICE have already started the next holocaust. Sound unbelievable? Over the top? Look at the facts. Don't listen to their noise, watch what they DO.

Did you know we have Immigrant Detention Centers? (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/14/570984026/federal-investigation-finds-significant-issues-at-immigrant-detention-centers)

'So What? Maybe It Is a Concentration Camp' (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/how-joe-arpaio-inspired-the-immigration-crackdown/554027/)

Sexual, physical, and other abuse of immigrant children, including having toddlers represent themselves in court. (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/23/613907893/aclu-report-detained-immigrant-children-subjected-to-widespread-abuse-by-officia)

Building lots of detention centers as arrests are on the rise. (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/26/560257834/as-it-makes-more-arrests-ice-looks-for-more-detention-centers)

They tried to build one in Indiana, but gave up. (https://www.wthr.com/article/company-scraps-plan-for-indiana-immigrant-detention-center)

Maybe normal Germans felt this way when they first heard about these camps in places like Auschwitz.

testcase is a typical Trump supporter. A low-IQ dumbass with no understanding of what America is about. He don't understand history. He don't understand freedom, or what it cost, or why it is so valuable. He understands cheering for his team and against the stuff he's told is bad, that's all. He is the exact "test case" for why the internet was a mistake, it gave a voice to unintelligent dipshits like him, dipshits that should just shut the fuck up. People like him are a cancer in our country. Unfortunately for the rest of civilized society there is no humane way to cut out a semi-sentient human tumor.

FatDT
05-24-2018, 12:14 PM
I doubt people like you are really the type of person the nfl is wanting as a fan

The NFL wants any fan that will get more money under their control. That is what the overwhelming majority of powerful rich people want. Anything else is just playing an angle to get more money.

testcase448
05-24-2018, 12:41 PM
testcase is a typical Trump supporter. A low-IQ dumbass with no understanding of what America is about. He don't understand history. He don't understand freedom, or what it cost, or why it is so valuable. He understands cheering for his team and against the stuff he's told is bad, that's all. He is the exact "test case" for why the internet was a mistake, it gave a voice to unintelligent dipshits like him, dipshits that should just shut the fuck up. People like him are a cancer in our country. Unfortunately for the rest of civilized society there is no humane way to cut out a semi-sentient human tumor.

Care to compare degree(s)? That's plural monkey, you do understand the word plural right?
Mensa card?
Pay stubs?
Without people like me your welfare check would bounce but OK..
I cheer for the US over the kneeling sumbitches every day there snowflake.
BTW one of the degrees is History... one other is Engineering. You know science stuff. The minor(s) were business and economics

Show me where you have a clear idea of history I lack?

Freedom I get, that's why I'm an NRA member as an example. You you have a clue about LIBERTY dullard? The costs of it?

testcase448
05-24-2018, 12:44 PM

Yep, intelligent, gainfully employed, discretionary income.
All traits the NFL abhors :rolleyes:

Much better to have low IQ Gruber voting couch potatoes there in mom's basement every week !

sherck
05-24-2018, 12:52 PM
Moving this thread to General. It is no longer about the Colts.

Walk Worthy,

rcubed
05-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Care to compare degree(s)? That's plural monkey, you do understand the word plural right?
Mensa card?
Pay stubs?
Without people like me your welfare check would bounce but OK..
I cheer for the US over the kneeling sumbitches every day there snowflake.
BTW one of the degrees is History... one other is Engineering. You know science stuff. The minor(s) were business and economics

Show me where you have a clear idea of history I lack?

Freedom I get, that's why I'm an NRA member as an example. You you have a clue about LIBERTY dullard? The costs of it?
still a fucktard.

FatDT
05-24-2018, 01:23 PM
still a fucktard.

But but but he has a MENSA card!! He'll tell you all about it if you just ask him.

$10 says the "minions" he offhandedly likes to brag about are just the hourly employees at McDonalds, where is is assistant manager.

testcase448
05-24-2018, 01:25 PM
Donald Trump is a, a racist bigot, .

I really can't stop laughing at just how stupid you truly are, so here's another little lie of yours exposed...

Trump is a Racist/Bigot (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/05/24/trump-pardons-boxer-jack-johnson-72-years-after-death/641114002/?csp=chromepush)

Education is great thing... BTW you won't get it where your looking(MSNBC? CNN? Huffpost?)apparently

They're keeping you on the plantation it seems

rm1369
05-24-2018, 01:26 PM
still a fucktard.

Yep. But something about his posting style tells me he’s an “internet intellectual” and an “internet tough guy” anyway. Trump is the greatest, bestest person who ever lived too. Just ask him

testcase448
05-24-2018, 01:38 PM
But but but he has a MENSA card!! He'll tell you all about it if you just ask him.

$10 says the "minions" he offhandedly likes to brag about are just the hourly employees at McDonalds, where is is assistant manager.

Says"would you like fries with that FatDT"

HoosierinFL
05-24-2018, 06:11 PM
Donald Trump is a liar, a criminal, an active and paid agent of hostile foreign nations, a rapist, a child molester, a racist bigot, a philanderer, a fake billionaire and failed businessman. And the NFL just caved to him. Pathetic.

Remember when Europe tried to appease Hitler? Didn't work then, won't work now. He and the GOP and ICE have already started the next holocaust. Sound unbelievable? Over the top? Look at the facts. Don't listen to their noise, watch what they DO.

Did you know we have Immigrant Detention Centers? (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/14/570984026/federal-investigation-finds-significant-issues-at-immigrant-detention-centers)

'So What? Maybe It Is a Concentration Camp' (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/02/how-joe-arpaio-inspired-the-immigration-crackdown/554027/)

Sexual, physical, and other abuse of immigrant children, including having toddlers represent themselves in court. (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/23/613907893/aclu-report-detained-immigrant-children-subjected-to-widespread-abuse-by-officia)

Building lots of detention centers as arrests are on the rise. (https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/26/560257834/as-it-makes-more-arrests-ice-looks-for-more-detention-centers)

They tried to build one in Indiana, but gave up. (https://www.wthr.com/article/company-scraps-plan-for-indiana-immigrant-detention-center)

Maybe normal Germans felt this way when they first heard about these camps in places like Auschwitz.

Man it can hardly be said any better than that.

DragonTails
05-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Good question

Answer: Colin K.

Chromeburn
05-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Man it can hardly be said any better than that.

He won't read any of that. Part of this rampant tribalism between the two parties is any kind of counter argument is automatically dismissed. Might as well be shooting peas at the death star. Such as his one "example" of Trump not being a rascist, when there are literally dozens of counter examples to support the argument he is. I am kind of astonished that Trump does hate immigrants and other races so much considering he is married to an immigrant and being an oompa loompa himself.

Hoopsdoc
05-26-2018, 02:29 AM

“Trump is Hitler”. “The next holocaust”.

Lol. You’re an idiot.

Newsflash-they’ve had immigrant detention centers in this country since the 1890’s. As long as we have immigration laws, we will have immigration detention centers. It’s not a Trump phenomenon, as much as you crave it to be.

I get you guys need a boogeyman to be afraid of, but at least do a little research before spouting off.

I think Trump is a moron and unfit to be president, but he’s no freakin Hitler. Comparing him to a real monster like Hitler trivializes the millions who died under his thumb.

Hoopsdoc
05-26-2018, 02:35 AM
As for the the new policy, I think it’s about as fair as possible. Players aren’t forced to do anything, they can completely opt out. That’s not even an option in the NBA, which forces EVERY player to stand at attention.

Chromeburn
05-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Lol. You’re an idiot.

Newsflash-they’ve had immigrant detention centers in this country since the 1890’s. As long as we have immigration laws, we will have immigration detention centers. It’s not a Trump phenomenon, as much as you crave it to be.

I get you guys need a boogeyman to be afraid of, but at least do a little research before spouting off.

I think Trump is a moron and unfit to be president, but he’s no freakin Hitler. Comparing him to a real monster like Hitler trivializes the millions who died under his thumb.

Not everyone calls him Hitler. I think he is pretty corrupt and a snake oil salesman, there will be tons of investigations into his appointees afterwards. But Hitler he is not. He is just a old white rich bigot. My aunt is married to one and every thanksgiving I have to listen to his bs.

But this demonizing is common. 8 years of hate and vitriol aimed at Obama pretty much made sure Trump would see it. We could perhaps go back to Clinton, or Nixon, or LBJ, for criticized presidents. Could probably go back further, I heard James Monroe was a lackadaisical dandy unfit for governorship.

The detention camps for Japanese Americans during WW2 were I think a black stain on our history.

Kray007
05-26-2018, 01:20 PM

Last verse national anthem: "Oh say does that star spangled banner still wave o'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

What exactly do you not understand about the word free?

Dam8610
05-26-2018, 01:33 PM

You're one of those "incel"s, aren't you?

Butter
05-26-2018, 08:18 PM
Not everyone calls him Hitler.

He is clearly not Hitler, he is more Mussolini.

https://lgbtqnation-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/2016/11/63951991.jpg
https://voxpopulisphere.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/trump-mussolini.jpg

Lov2fish
05-27-2018, 01:19 AM

Comparing him to any of the real demons of history is a stretch. He is an idiot, but pales in comparison to any of those fine upstanding citizens of the world. The two party system is a joke, and every time I see everyone going back and forth over "MY SIDE" is better I laugh, hard. Two headed snake that feeds the same body. When was the last time a Republicans shrunk the government, or Democrats truly helped the poor? I'll wait.

rm1369
05-27-2018, 09:50 AM

Lol. You’re an idiot.

I don’t think anyone that uses a Hitler reference is suggesting Trump is on par with “Hitler”. But let’s not forget that before Hitler was “Hitler” he was a democratically elected leader that used fear, nationalism, and scapegoating of minorities as tools to increase support among his followers, consolidate power, and crush his enemies. So no Trump is not “Hitler”, but he has damn sure shown many tendencies common in ruthless strongmen from the recent past - including German Chancellor Adolf Hitler.

I personally think the only thing standing between Trump and mass atrocities is our system of checks and balances. However, these are the same checks and balances both Trump and a not insignificant portion of the Republican Party (Nunes, etc) are working to actively undermine and erode. While the rest sit by silently. Trump is not just stupid and ignorant - he is dangerous. He is a man that is not driven by any type of moral compass. He is driven strictly by power and greed. He expects and rewards only blind loyalty to himself. While he is a blubbering idiot in most regards he is a master showman and he has both a massively powerful delivery platform (Fox “news”), religious cover (thanks evangelicals), and a more than willing and largely poorly educated and pissed off support base.

He is more than merely an idiot tarnishing the US presidency and the country itself. He is the embodiment of the worst and most dangerous impulses within us. He has access to the most destructive military capabilities the world has ever produced. He has a massive PR wing that spins ever topic in his favor. And fully 1/3 of our population follows him blindly and believes his every word. I’m sorry, but that is way more that just an idiot to be laughed at and disregarded.

Hoopsdoc
05-27-2018, 10:11 AM
I don’t think anyone that uses a Hitler reference is suggesting Trump is on par with “Hitler”. But let’s not forget that before Hitler was “Hitler” he was a democratically elected leader that used fear, nationalism, and scapegoating of minorities as tools to increase support among his followers, consolidate power, and crush his enemies. So no Trump is not “Hitler”, but he has damn sure shown many tendencies common in ruthless strongmen from the recent past - including German Chancellor Adolf Hitler.

I personally think the only thing standing between Trump and mass atrocities is our system of checks and balances. However, these are the same checks and balances both Trump and a not insignificant portion of the Republican Party (Nunes, etc) are working to actively undermine and erode. While the rest sit by silently. Trump is not just stupid and ignorant - he is dangerous. He is a man that is not driven by any type of moral compass. He is driven strictly by power and greed. He expects and rewards only blind loyalty to himself. While he is a blubbering idiot in most regards he is a master showman and he has both a massively powerful delivery platform (Fox “news”), religious cover (thanks evangelicals), and a more than willing and largely poorly educated and pissed off support base.

He is more than merely an idiot tarnishing the US presidency and the country itself. He is the embodiment of the worst and most dangerous impulses within us. He has access to the most destructive military capabilities the world has ever produced. He has a massive PR wing that spins ever topic in his favor. And fully 1/3 of our population follows him blindly and believes his every word. I’m sorry, but that is way more that just an idiot to be laughed at and disregarded.

What a crock of shit, respectfully speaking. When Trump passes laws restricting the rights of and even imprisoning law abiding citizens for no other reason than their ethnicity, come find me.

When he sends out packs of goons to intimidate, harass, and even murder people like Hitler did, come find me.

When he uses the government to seize the property of groups he doesn’t like, I’ll be there protesting with you.

There is NO COMPARISON to what went on in 1930’s Germany to what is happening in this country now. It’s reckless fear mongering and hyperpartisanship to say otherwise.

rm1369
05-27-2018, 11:45 AM
What a crock of shit, respectfully speaking. When Trump passes laws restricting the rights of and even imprisoning law abiding citizens for no other reason than their ethnicity, come find me.

When he sends out packs of goons to intimidate, harass, and even murder people like Hitler did, come find me.

When he uses the government to seize the property of groups he doesn’t like, I’ll be there protesting with you.

There is NO COMPARISON to what went on in 1930’s Germany to what is happening in this country now. It’s reckless fear mongering and hyperpartisanship to say otherwise.

Is your position that Trump is morally incapable of doing such things as rounding up minorities or his enemies?

Is your position that our system of government would prevent such things from occurring?

Or is it that the current population of the US would be incapable of sitting by while such atrocities occur?

I’d like to understand. It is obvious Trump has not yet risen to the level of “Hitler”. Not sure how that’s even arguable. However your assertion that their is NO COMPARISON between events in 1930s Germany and the events in the current US appear to me to be naive.

Chromeburn
05-27-2018, 12:13 PM

Haha

Seriously though I think he is a huge narcissist. The guy makes everything about him. The way he threw the security services under the bus because they had the gall to investigate Russia trying to influence the campaign and his obvious connection to his investments. They treat the secret service like hired servants. Just kind of disgusted with him altogether. My buddy is a lobbyist in DC and he has told me some pretty ridiculous stories. I wasn’t a fan of Hillary, but man I didn’t want this.

Hoopsdoc
05-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Is your position that Trump is morally incapable of doing such things as rounding up minorities or his enemies?

No. Trump isn’t the monster he’s made out to be. He was never a racist til he became president. Hell, he got awards from Jesse Jackson and the NAACP. He’s a loudmouth moron, for sure.

Is your position that our system of government would prevent such things from occurring?

Yes, of course. How exactly would he enact oppressive policies? Executive order? Who would follow those orders? No one. In this era of social media and instant communication, he’d never get away with it.

Or is it that the current population of the US would be incapable of sitting by while such atrocities occur?

Of course they wouldn’t. Trump actually lost the popular vote. How the heck are the citizens of this country, most of whom didn’t even vote for him, gonna sit around and let him get away with crap like that? Heck, a lot of republicans have turned on him already.

I’d like to understand. It is obvious Trump has not yet risen to the level of “Hitler”. Not sure how that’s even arguable. However your assertion that their is NO COMPARISON between events in 1930s Germany and the events in the current US appear to me to be naive.

Germany in the 1930’s was a shell of its former state. The loss of WW1 and the Versailles treaty left that country in absolute ruins. In that environment, Hitlers nationalism was elixir for the people. They were casting about for a scapegoat for their predicament and Hitler offered the perfect sales pitch for a desperate people.

That is about as far away from the current situation in this country as is possible.

So no, I refuse to entertain the thought that Trump is anything like Hitler in any way, other than they’re both heads of state.

rm1369
05-27-2018, 06:41 PM
No. Trump isn’t the monster he’s made out to be. He was never a racist til he became president. Hell, he got awards from Jesse Jackson and the NAACP. He’s a loudmouth moron, for sure.

No, Trumps history of racism was not under scrutiny until he ran for for president. That doesn’t at all mean it didn’t exist. From the Trump companies being sued for racist housing policies to his embrace of birtherism there were plenty of examples of Trumps racist tendencies. Come on, do you think it’s a coincidence he has been the party of the racist element in this country since his campaign started? And even if you don’t believe Trump himself is a racist I don’t in anyway see how you can argue he hasn’t tactically aligned himself with racists and knowingly courted racist elements to his base. At best Trump is a tactical racist who fans the flames racism to further his causes.

My guess is you didn’t address the issue of being above rounding up his political enemies because the ironic “lock her up chants” from his political rallies leave little doubt to that capability.

Yes, of course. How exactly would he enact oppressive policies? Executive order? Who would follow those orders? No one. In this era of social media and instant communication, he’d never get away with it.

I mostly agree here, although I don’t believe it’s nearly as guaranteed as you seem to think. Look no further than the rash of retirements from the GOP and the types of candidates they are running in many areas. Look at how far some candidates are willing to go to win their base. Here in Indiana the GOP primary boiled down to who loved and supported Trump more. And that’s supposed to give me comfort? Way to many Republicans stand idly by while Trump is actively trying to destroy the legitimate media, the Justice Department, and many of our intelligence services. Trumps message to his followers is you can only trust me the rest of the government is crooked. That doesn’t seem dangerous or dictator like to you? Who is going to save us - guys like Nunes? The media like Fox News?

Of course they wouldn’t. Trump actually lost the popular vote. How the heck are the citizens of this country, most of whom didn’t even vote for him, gonna sit around and let him get away with crap like that? Heck, a lot of republicans have turned on him already.

His approval rating has been going up. The main republicans opposing him are either retiring or dying. Many of the new GOP candidates are more extreme and aligning themselves directly with him and his views. Your attitude is very common among Republicans I know - Trump is a laughable idiot. An embarrassment maybe, but not in anyway dangerous. They don’t like him, but he’s draining the swamp and exposing all the corruption in DC. That’s what Hannity and Fox News tells them.

Germany in the 1930’s was a shell of its former state. The loss of WW1 and the Versailles treaty left that country in absolute ruins. In that environment, Hitlers nationalism was elixir for the people. They were casting about for a scapegoat for their predicament and Hitler offered the perfect sales pitch for a desperate people.

That is about as far away from the current situation in this country as is possible.

So no, I refuse to entertain the thought that Trump is anything like Hitler in any way, other than they’re both heads of state.

As you point out things weren’t as bad as in post WWI Germany. Not even close. But economic dissatisfaction was a large factor for Trump. And the MAGA slogan itself is designed to play on nationalism and a desire for the “good old days”. Pretty similar themes to Hitler restoring Germany to its former glory, no? Trump has consistently proven that perception is more important than reality. Just because the social and economic situation isn’t as dire doesn’t mean many of the same factors and techniques aren’t in play.

I personally try to refrain from bringing Hitler into a discussion of Trump simply because it side tracks the conversation. My initial post on the subject was mainly meant to say that most don’t reference Hitler as a direct comparison but simply as an (admittedly extreme) example of the dangers of the types of actions employed by Trump and other men of his ilk. I just hope that too many don’t blow off his racist words and actions as media creations as you seem to. Same with his attacks on the press, justice department, and intelligence agencies. The idea that “good” people could believe it’s all just scare tactics by the liberal media is terrifying to me. They’ve already ratinoalized his pussy grabbing and racist remarks.

Hoopsdoc
05-27-2018, 10:04 PM
No, Trumps history of racism was not under scrutiny until he ran for for president. That doesn’t at all mean it didn’t exist. From the Trump companies being sued for racist housing policies to his embrace of birtherism there were plenty of examples of Trumps racist tendencies. Come on, do you think it’s a coincidence he has been the party of the racist element in this country since his campaign started? And even if you don’t believe Trump himself is a racist I don’t in anyway see how you can argue he hasn’t tactically aligned himself with racists and knowingly courted racist elements to his base. At best Trump is a tactical racist who fans the flames racism to further his causes.

My guess is you didn’t address the issue of being above rounding up his political enemies because the ironic “lock her up chants” from his political rallies leave little doubt to that capability.

I mostly agree here, although I don’t believe it’s nearly as guaranteed as you seem to think. Look no further than the rash of retirements from the GOP and the types of candidates they are running in many areas. Look at how far some candidates are willing to go to win their base. Here in Indiana the GOP primary boiled down to who loved and supported Trump more. And that’s supposed to give me comfort? Way to many Republicans stand idly by while Trump is actively trying to destroy the legitimate media, the Justice Department, and many of our intelligence services. Trumps message to his followers is you can only trust me the rest of the government is crooked. That doesn’t seem dangerous or dictator like to you? Who is going to save us - guys like Nunes? The media like Fox News?

His approval rating has been going up. The main republicans opposing him are either retiring or dying. Many of the new GOP candidates are more extreme and aligning themselves directly with him and his views. Your attitude is very common among Republicans I know - Trump is a laughable idiot. An embarrassment maybe, but not in anyway dangerous. They don’t like him, but he’s draining the swamp and exposing all the corruption in DC. That’s what Hannity and Fox News tells them.

As you point out things weren’t as bad as in post WWI Germany. Not even close. But economic dissatisfaction was a large factor for Trump. And the MAGA slogan itself is designed to play on nationalism and a desire for the “good old days”. Pretty similar themes to Hitler restoring Germany to its former glory, no? Trump has consistently proven that perception is more important than reality. Just because the social and economic situation isn’t as dire doesn’t mean many of the same factors and techniques aren’t in play.

I personally try to refrain from bringing Hitler into a discussion of Trump simply because it side tracks the conversation. My initial post on the subject was mainly meant to say that most don’t reference Hitler as a direct comparison but simply as an (admittedly extreme) example of the dangers of the types of actions employed by Trump and other men of his ilk. I just hope that too many don’t blow off his racist words and actions as media creations as you seem to. Same with his attacks on the press, justice department, and intelligence agencies. The idea that “good” people could believe it’s all just scare tactics by the liberal media is terrifying to me. They’ve already ratinoalized his pussy grabbing and racist remarks.

The attacks on the media started with Obama. He tried to revoke Fox’s press credentials and would have succeeded had the rest of the media not thrown a fit about it. That’s far FAR worse than anything Trump has done. All he does is talk and tweet like a blowhard.

I hated when people said Obama was destroying America and I hate it when people comp Trump to Hitler. It’s hyerpartisan, identity politics bullshit.

This is the greatest country in the world, by a large margin. And all of us, left right and center, are far closer in beliefs than those in power would have us believe.

rm1369
05-27-2018, 10:57 PM
The attacks on the media started with Obama. He tried to revoke Fox’s press credentials and would have succeeded had the rest of the media not thrown a fit about it. That’s far FAR worse than anything Trump has done. All he does is talk and tweet like a blowhard.

I hated when people said Obama was destroying America and I hate it when people comp Trump to Hitler. It’s hyerpartisan, identity politics bullshit.

This is the greatest country in the world, by a large margin. And all of us, left right and center, are far closer in beliefs than those in power would have us believe.

Can’t say I’m surprised - what Obama did is worse, Trump is just a blow hard causing no harm. Is it Obama’s fault Trump has been attacking the Justice Department and security agencies? Never mind, it’s safe to say we’ll never agree. You not seeing any danger in Trumps attacks - including on individual businesses owned by his adversaries (NFL, Amazon) - is a prime example of why I believe Trump is so dangerous. If I had to guess I’d say you typically vote republican and agree with many of his policies. It’s a similiar rationalization I see in many of my family.

For the record, I’m typically an independent that has voted for people on both sides of the aisle. But I will not support any Trump Republicans.

FatDT
05-27-2018, 11:23 PM
The attacks on the media started with Obama. He tried to revoke Fox’s press credentials and would have succeeded had the rest of the media not thrown a fit about it.

When did he do that? I Googled but couldn't find it. I did find reminders of the many attacks on the press by Trump though.

And Fox News is partisan right wing propagandist garbage. Outside of maybe Shep Smith they SHOULD have any sort of credentials revoked.

That’s far FAR worse than anything Trump has done. All he does is talk and tweet like a blowhard.

It's far worse than blowing up the Iran deal for less than no reason? It's worse than using the presidency to make money illegally? It's worse than threatening NK with nuclear war? It's worse than nominating a torturer to head the CIA? It's worse than installing dipshits like Devos, Zinke, Mnuchin, Pruitt, etc to run their agencies into the ground? Worse than obstructing justice? Worse than laundering dirty money for the Russians? Are you paying attention? No you're clearly not. Pull your head out of your ass and look.

Well despite your big feelings on this subject, the comparison is valid on a number of fronts. Some of which have been pointed out to you. But your feelings - based argument so far has been a long - winded "nuh uh", which hopefully convinces no one.

This is the greatest country in the world, by a large margin.

This might've been true at one time before the Boomer generation ruined it.

And all of us, left right and center, are far closer in beliefs than those in power would have us believe.

No thanks. I don't want anything to do with the current right. You people have lost your fucking minds.

omahacolt
05-28-2018, 12:55 AM

Trump admitted that he purposely tries to discredit the media so people won’t believe negative things about him.

Wake the fuck up

Butter
05-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Comparing him to any of the real demons of history is a stretch. He is an idiot, but pales in comparison to any of those fine upstanding citizens of the world. The two party system is a joke, and every time I see everyone going back and forth over "MY SIDE" is better I laugh, hard. Two headed snake that feeds the same body. When was the last time a Republicans shrunk the government, or Democrats truly helped the poor? I'll wait.

I agree, he is not yet anywhere near that level, nor competent enough to pull it off, I hope. I have just always been struck by how similar some of his mannerisms are to Benito and his use of tactics from the Fascist playbook of the 30's.

FatDT
05-28-2018, 10:54 PM
More recently he's doing a lot of the same things as Erdoğan in Turkey: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/democracy-post/wp/2018/01/13/want-to-see-where-trump-is-taking-america-look-at-turkey-under-erdogan/

Racehorse
05-29-2018, 07:46 AM
Trump admitted that he purposely tries to discredit the media so people won’t believe negative things about him.

Wake the fuck up

My distrust of the media pre-dates Trumps political career.

Chromeburn
06-09-2018, 07:47 PM
I'll just leave this here.

http://dailysnark.com/here-is-every-nfl-teams-logo-redesigned-as-if-it-was-donald-trump/

Chromeburn
06-09-2018, 07:48 PM
My distrust of the media pre-dates Trumps political career.

As well it should, but he acts like having a free press is some kind of burden on the country. I'm sure he likes how Putin does it, just kill a journalist if he is too critical. He would probably try it anyway and then just pardon himself.

Pez
06-11-2018, 07:42 AM
Howard Dean almost won a primary in Iowa in 2004, during his post-cacus rally, he said "Yeaaaaahahahahahhahaa!" and it ended his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6i-gYRAwM0

14 years later and you can force citizens to pay to exercise their first amendment rights, threaten to pardon yourself (despite asserting having never done anything wrong), recommend grabbing someone by the pussy, brag about your penis size, silence a porn star about an affair, send Mike Pence to Indianapolis to boycott a game, allow your head of the EPA to squander taxpayer funds, not to mention outright lie (digitally no less).

JAFF
06-16-2018, 05:47 PM
The nfl is clueless

The nfl always finds ways to complicate shit

That's dead on the money. And it's always been about money.

If the owners and players had a lick of sense, they would get together and decide to stop fighting Trumps fight. There's no winning this. And the object of this league is to make money.

Yeah. Winning is great, but if you are a player, you need to make the $ to justify sacrificing your body. And owners need to make enough to cover the expense.

Get in a room, and say, screw it. Lets play God bless America, play the game and go do what we want on our own time. Trump wants an issue, he can go find it somewhere else.

Stop getting punked and change the story.