PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Body Slams Student Over a Box of Chocolates

Colts And Orioles
02-20-2018, 06:07 PM
o

Substitute Teacher is Fired after Body-Slamming a Student Over a Box of Chocolates

(By Jessica Chia)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/substitute-teacher-fired-body-slamming-student-article-1.3830530

THE VIDEO: ll https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LIq4UQBqhg

o

Racehorse
02-20-2018, 07:12 PM
There is a vast difference between a teacher and a substitute teacher. Your title is incorrect.

Colts And Orioles
02-20-2018, 09:17 PM
There is a vast difference between a teacher and a substitute teacher. Your title is incorrect.

o

I'm sorry about the oversight. However, while there is a difference between substitute teachers and permanent teachers in terms of experience and tenure, fundamentally that doesn't matter much in this particular case. The person was still a teacher that was employed and entrusted by that school district. Teachers are screened and scrutinized much more heavily these days before being allowed to be in charge of a classroom of kids than they were 40-50 years ago ........ even substitute teachers.

o

Racehorse
02-21-2018, 10:03 PM
o

I'm sorry about the oversight. However, while there is a difference between substitute teachers and permanent teachers in terms of experience and tenure, fundamentally that doesn't matter much in this particular case. The person was still a teacher that was employed and entrusted by that school district. Teachers are screened and scrutinized much more heavily these days before being allowed to be in charge of a classroom of kids than they were 40-50 years ago ........ even substitute teachers.

o
Some school systems are so hard up for subs that they don't go through all of the protocols when hiring subs.

Colts And Orioles
02-21-2018, 10:35 PM
Some school systems are so hard up for subs that they don't go through all of the protocols when hiring subs.

o

If they are that hard-up for substitute teachers, then they are probably are also hard-up for permanent teachers. And in those cases, they are almost always the poorer and severely disadvantaged school systems. School systems that are at least average or better (middle class or higher) rarely find themselves in such dire straits with their teacher and/or their substitute teacher situations which would force them to take such major risks.

o

Racehorse
02-22-2018, 08:08 AM
o

If they are that hard-up for substitute teachers, then they are probably are also hard-up for permanent teachers. And in those cases, they are almost always the poorer and severely disadvantaged school systems. School systems that are at least average or better (middle class or higher) rarely find themselves in such dire straits with their teacher and/or their substitute teacher situations which would force them to take such major risks.

o

Finding someone to work for ~$30K/year is much easier than finding someone for ~$50/day.

Colts And Orioles
02-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Finding someone to work for ~$30K/year is much easier than finding someone for ~$50/day.

o

Yes. And as I just explained, that is not a problem for well-run school districts, as it is for poorer school districts that are underfunded and have overcrowded classrooms.

More significantly, that has little to do with the topic at hand. A teacher that was employed and entrusted by that school district body-slammed a student over a box of chocolates, and was immediately fired. The fact that it was a substitute teacher as opposed to a tenured teacher has no relevance to any of the parents of the kids from that school district who were horrified and outraged at what happened. They're not particularly concerned about the distinction, and I'm sure that they take no comfort in the fact that it was not a tenured teacher.

o

Racehorse
02-22-2018, 06:59 PM
o

Yes. And as I just explained, that is not a problem for well-run school districts, as it is for poorer school districts that are underfunded and have overcrowded classrooms.

More significantly, that has little to do with the topic at hand. A teacher that was employed and entrusted by that school district body-slammed a student over a box of chocolates, and was immediately fired. The fact that it was a substitute teacher as opposed to a tenured teacher has no relevance to any of the parents of the kids from that school district who were horrified and outraged at what happened. They're not particularly concerned about the distinction, and I'm sure that they take no comfort in the fact that it was not a tenured teacher.

oNo, a babysitter did it, not a teacher.

Colts And Orioles
02-22-2018, 08:23 PM
o

o

No, a babysitter did it, not a teacher.

o

Considering how obstinate you continue to be, I'm not going to bother explaining this to you anymore.

It was a teacher that did this to the kid, whether you like it or not. Nobody involved in this particular situation (the kids that witnessed it, the parents of said kids, the school system which fired him, or even the press which covered it) is making the distinction and arguing the point of it being a substitute teacher as opposed to a tenured teacher, and why that subsequently changes everything (which is what you are bent on insisting.)

o

Racehorse
02-23-2018, 07:56 AM
o

Considering how obstinate you continue to be, I'm not going to bother explaining this to you anymore.

It was a teacher that did this to the kid, whether you like it or not. Nobody involved in this particular situation (the kids that witnessed it, the parents of said kids, the school system which fired him, or even the press which covered it) is making the distinction and arguing the point of it being a substitute teacher as opposed to a tenured teacher, and why that subsequently changes everything (which is what you are bent on insisting.)

o

Yeah, I'm being obstinate. And, yeah, you're not going to explain it again.

As for accuracy, compare your thread title to the title of the article. There is where the real story is.

Racehorse
02-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Also, it HAS to be noted that you keep saying "tenured teacher" instead of licensed teacher. There is a distinction there, too. That said, I have never seen teachers, licensed or licensed and tenured do some of the things that subs do. Subs do not all have the training or mindset of real teachers. Yes, some are former teachers and some have the right heart for kids. Most teachers only call the good ones, but sometimes have to scrape the bottom of the barrel and get bad ones. Word gets out and those do not get called again.

I DO agree that in the mind of the parents, the distinction is irrelevant. However, to paint this as the same as a regular teacher is so irresponsible that even a newspaper won't stoop so low. Let that sink in for a moment.

Colts And Orioles
02-23-2018, 06:04 PM
Also, it HAS to be noted that you keep saying "tenured teacher" instead of licensed teacher. There is a distinction there, too. That said, I have never seen teachers, licensed or licensed and tenured do some of the things that subs do. Subs do not all have the training or mindset of real teachers. Yes, some are former teachers and some have the right heart for kids. Most teachers only call the good ones, but sometimes have to scrape the bottom of the barrel and get bad ones. Word gets out and those do not get called again.

I DO agree that in the mind of the parents, the distinction is irrelevant. However, to paint this as the same as a regular teacher is so irresponsible that even a newspaper won't stoop so low. Let that sink in for a moment.

o

I know that I said that I would not continue explaining/debating this to you, but particular statement is very questionable/ambiguous.

There have been countless licensed teachers (quite often tenured teachers) in this country over the last 2 decades that have been fired for (and often convicted of) sexual misconduct with their students ........ both male AND female teachers.

Other than that, I believe that you are correct in your assertion that the general mindset of substitute teachers is considerably different than that of regular teachers. I have my master's degree in elementary education and was a student teacher for one semester to complete my degree, and the substitute's job is indeed considerably harder (and different) than that of the regular/licensed/permanent teacher.

o

Racehorse
02-23-2018, 07:06 PM
o

I know that I said that I would not continue explaining/debating this to you, but particular statement is very questionable/ambiguous.

There have been countless licensed teachers (quite often tenured teachers) in this country over the last 2 decades that have been fired for (and often convicted of) sexual misconduct with their students ........ both male AND female teachers.

Other than that, I believe that you are correct in your assertion that the general mindset of substitute teachers is considerably different than that of regular teachers. I have my master's degree in elementary education and was a student teacher for one semester to complete my degree, and the substitute's job is indeed considerably harder (and different) than that of the regular/licensed/permanent teacher.

o
Fair enough on the sexual misconduct part.