PDA

View Full Version : With the third pick....

Pages : [1] 2

rcubed
01-02-2018, 12:23 PM
What would you do with the third pick?

rcubed
01-02-2018, 12:30 PM
I am finding it harder to pass up Barkley. I know I shouldn't draft a RB that high with our line issues, but he does look awesome. Draft him, build the line with best FA available and some picks over the next two years....

If ballard truly goes with BPA, I could see him pick barkley.

In the end, I would probably pick chubb though.

Hoopsdoc
01-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Chubb please. Pass rush, inside linebacker, pass rush would be my first three picks in the upcoming draft.

albany ed
01-02-2018, 12:42 PM
If a marquee QB is still there, you might get a 1, 3 and a 1 next year for the pick.

Hoopsdoc
01-02-2018, 12:46 PM
If a marquee QB is still there, you might get a 1, 3 and a 1 next year for the pick.

That’s a great point. I guess it all depends on who Ballard likes and how badly a team would want that qb.

I still say if Chubb is still there, you have to take him.

Dam8610
01-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Chubb please. Pass rush, inside linebacker, pass rush would be my first three picks in the upcoming draft.

If they stay with 3-4, my hope is they'll go LB for at least rounds 1-4. Address the other positions in free agency.

As for who, Chubb seems to be the hot name right now, and I like the consistent production in a power conference. I've also heard some still believe Key is the best pass rusher in this draft, though he missed a decent amount of time this year and wasn't incredibly productive in the time he played.

Coltsalr
01-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Trade it away.

There's talent to be had in the early-middle 1st round, particularly at OL and LB.

Maniac
01-02-2018, 12:50 PM
If they can trade back and get a ton of picks while still staying in the top 10, then do that and get Nelson. Otherwise stay there and get Chubb.

jasperhobbs
01-02-2018, 01:05 PM
I can't see Chubb being a top ten pick. Barkley yes

Puck
01-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Fitzpatrick

sherck
01-02-2018, 03:16 PM
I voted trade back.

Stockpile more 1st and 2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts (prefer them in this year's draft) and then pick the best available OT with whatever pick we end up sticking with.

Pick OLB[RUSH] in the 2nd round along with other picks if we have them from trade (ILB, OG are top of my list after OLB).

We have a lot of holes to fill. Getting one stud is nice if he works out. Getting a shot at 3 or 4 studs is even better even if their ceiling is lower than the kid picked at #3.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007
01-02-2018, 03:45 PM
I voted trade back.

Stockpile more 1st and 2nd round picks over the next 2 drafts (prefer them in this year's draft) and then pick the best available OT with whatever pick we end up sticking with.

Pick OLB[RUSH] in the 2nd round along with other picks if we have them from trade (ILB, OG are top of my list after OLB).

We have a lot of holes to fill. Getting one stud is nice if he works out. Getting a shot at 3 or 4 studs is even better even if their ceiling is lower than the kid picked at #3.

Walk Worthy,

That would be nice, but I don't think the offers will be there. They blew their chance by missing out on the 2nd pick.

If the 1st two picks are Rosen/Darnold, would you really offer that kind of package to move up to #3 as an opposing GM?

Racehorse
01-02-2018, 04:11 PM
That’s a great point. I guess it all depends on who Ballard likes and how badly a team would want that qb.

I still say if Chubb is still there, you have to take him.

Jests, Denver and maybe Miami may be in the market for a QB and our pick.

Racehorse
01-02-2018, 04:12 PM
If they stay with 3-4, my hope is they'll go LB for at least rounds 1-4. Address the other positions in free agency.

As for who, Chubb seems to be the hot name right now, and I like the consistent production in a power conference. I've also heard some still believe Key is the best pass rusher in this draft, though he missed a decent amount of time this year and wasn't incredibly productive in the time he played.

I forget the name, but Georgia has a really good LB that I'd like to see. Not in the first round, though

Coltsalr
01-02-2018, 04:44 PM
I forget the name, but Georgia has a really good LB that I'd like to see. Not in the first round, though

Roquan Smith, but he'll go in the 1st round, possibly the first half of the 1st round it appears.

I'd definitely be very interested if we trade back.

testcase448
01-02-2018, 04:56 PM
I voted for Chubb, barring a block buster trade, at least two 1's and a couple 2's
I wouldn't mind that RB from Louisiana in a later round
Kid has heart

ukcolt
01-02-2018, 04:57 PM
Pointless to discuss too much at this point in time, need to wait until free agency has started and what positions we have addressed.

I personally think that Chubb is the most likely pick if we stay at No. 3 as it is easier to find a decent guard in free agency than a true pass rushing threat. I also think that Barkley will end up being great, but not with the current offensive line. We HAVE to address the offensive line to enable proper production from our offense, both from a rushing and passing standpoint.

I am ok with Castonzo, Kelly, Haeg and Good, along with Clark, Person and probably Bond as a group of guys to be added to. There are probably 3 guys who are going to be acceptable as starters, but there needs to be a big injection of talent to the starting line.

DrSpaceman
01-02-2018, 05:30 PM
At the very least you have to explore trading back.

You have a top 3 pick and there are several potential franchise QBs that teams will be considering trading up for, so you have to at least ask.

Now will the price and moving down be worth it? I don't know. But the first thing you do with this pick is see if you can turn it into more. It has the potential to be the type of trade that can be used to turn around a franchise with a big haul.

If its not traded and the 3rd pick is used I would be OK with Chudd or Nelson.

No to a RB at this spot no matter how good they might be.

nate505
01-02-2018, 05:45 PM
I would trade back all day and every day.

Hopefully a team desperate for a QB does it.

Unless it looks like the Colts will need one, which I'm really hoping isn't the case (and don't think it will be).

I also have the suspicion that Irsay will push for Barkley hard as well, and I'm sorta resigning myself to that pick.

Racehorse
01-02-2018, 05:45 PM
At the very least you have to explore trading back.

You have a top 3 pick and there are several potential franchise QBs that teams will be considering trading up for, so you have to at least ask.

Now will the price and moving down be worth it? I don't know. But the first thing you do with this pick is see if you can turn it into more. It has the potential to be the type of trade that can be used to turn around a franchise with a big haul.

If its not traded and the 3rd pick is used I would be OK with Chudd or Nelson.

No to a RB at this spot no matter how good they might be.
I am with you on Chubb or Nelson. I know some say you can't draft a guard that high, but if it solves a huge problem, then so be it.

Further, I would prefer to not go RB in the first round, hoping for Gore to go one more year, but if Gore leaves, then we'll have to "do something, Grigs!:

Racehorse
01-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Oh, and Mayfield is going to get drafted pretty high, even if Rosen and Darnold come out. This means that our pick could have value even if the first two go QB.

Pez
01-02-2018, 06:37 PM
I dont want to see a RB in 1st round either. I think Gore will be back and I like to believe that Ballard and someone not named Pagano will look to do a better job with his development.

My simple opinion is that we look at free agency, pay big $$ for a lineman. Then trade down and draft two more early. Gore and Mack will be serviceable behind an improved line.

The colts have tons of problems. Addressing the OL in an aggressive and definitive way solves more problems than addressing anywhere else.

omahacolt
01-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Trade it away.

There's talent to be had in the early-middle 1st round, particularly at OL and LB.

no

we need playmakers. not just solid dudes

njcoltfan
01-02-2018, 07:32 PM
That would be nice, but I don't think the offers will be there. They blew their chance by missing out on the 2nd pick.

If the 1st two picks are Rosen/Darnold, would you really offer that kind of package to move up to #3 as an opposing GM?

Mark my words, Cleveland is going to take Barkley with the first pick, the Giants will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold, Colts will take ???, and the Browns will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. Darnold and Rosen have yet to declare for the draft, so this prediction is based on if they do.

VeveJones007
01-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Mark my words, Cleveland is going to take Barkley with the first pick, the Giants will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold, Colts will take ???, and the Browns will take Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. Darnold and Rosen have yet to declare for the draft, so this prediction is based on if they do.

Browns will take their choice of QB at 1 and then get Barkley at 4. Your way doesn’t make sense for them.

njcoltfan
01-02-2018, 09:56 PM
Browns will take their choice of QB at 1 and then get Barkley at 4. Your way doesn’t make sense for them.

Unless they think the Colts are gonna take him.

rcubed
01-02-2018, 10:04 PM
No, QB is too important and they have screwed it up too many times. They wont just take whats left at 4. They will choose the one they want at hope barkley is there at 4.

VeveJones007
01-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Unless they think the Colts are gonna take him.

No team goes into a draft with three QBs with the exact same grade. They’ll have a higher grade on one of the QBs and take him 1st.

YDFL Commish
01-02-2018, 11:13 PM
I had to go BPA, and that is Barkely.

Indiana V2
01-03-2018, 12:10 AM
Is Barkley even go to be there at three? The way people talk about him he may go 1st overall.

FatDT
01-03-2018, 12:53 AM
Is Barkley even go to be there at three? The way people talk about him he may go 1st overall.

No way two QBs aren't picked first and second.

Butter
01-03-2018, 12:54 AM
Trade back build the trenches.

daedge
01-03-2018, 03:55 AM
no

Agreed. None of this trading down BS.

Coltsalr
01-03-2018, 04:28 AM
no

There’s playmakers to be had in the early-mid 1st Round.

Oldcolt
01-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Denver and the Jets both need qbs. Trading a few spots down, especially if qbs go one and two, we should still get a blue chip player. I dont want to trade out of the top 5-6 picks

albany ed
01-03-2018, 08:06 AM

I agree. This year there's a big difference between 1 and 2, if as expected, Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2. Even if the Browns and Giants don't want to draft a QB, they'd be crazy not to trade down. I hated seeing the Giants win which made me torn between rooting for my team and rooting against my team.

sherck
01-03-2018, 08:45 AM
QB Needy Teams in the Top 15 Picks of 2018:

#1 CLE
#2 NYG
#5 DEN
#6 NYJ
#11 MIA ?
#12 CIN
#13 WAS ?
#15 ARI

The thought that the #3 pick has little trade value but that the #2 pick had a lot is, I think, false.

Even if QBs go #1 and #2, there is little clear consensus that there are only 2 QBs who are worthy of being a top 5 pick. Sure, DEN or NYJ could just sit tight and hope that their guy falls to them but they also might want to come up and ensure that they get their guy.

Best non-QB pick in the draft? #3. You sure someone else is not going to want to come up for the right to pick Barkley? Or Chubb? Or Fitzpatrick? Or Nelson? Or Williams? Or whomever they are in love with? Heck, if CLE is indeed enamored with Barkley, they might trade up 1 spot to make sure that no one else gets him. Then that #4 pick is more in range for DEN and NYJ for QB.

We don't know how it is going to work out until April, but I think there will be a ton of trade offers for the #3 pick conditioned on how the first 2 picks go. Those all get worked out ahead of time and then triggered on draft day.

If Ballard picks a guy at #3, then he is convinced that the kid is a stud. Cool.

However, if Ballard wants to trade down, I have little doubt that he will find trade partners.

Walk Worthy,

Indiana V2
01-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Another question, Cleveland drafted Kizer last draft, will they draft another one this season? I voted for trading the pick.

sherck
01-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Another question, Cleveland drafted Kizer last draft, will they draft another one this season? I voted for trading the pick.
CLE fans here in Dayton who are as fanatical about their interest in the Browns as I am in the Colts are convinced that the team is not invested in Kizer and will pick a QB with one of their top picks in 2018.

15 games started / 53.6% completion rate / 2,894 yards / 11 TD / 22 INT / 60.5 QB rating / 9 FUM / sacked 38 times

Granted, CLE as a whole always needs to be graded on a curve but those are not the stats of a kid whom inspires confidence.

For comparison with Jacoby Brisett in 2017:

15 games started / 58.8% completion rate / 3,098 yards / 13 TD / 07 INT / 81.7 QB rating / 8 FUM / sacked 52 times

I fully expect CLE to take QB #1 overall.

Walk Worthy,

DrSpaceman
01-03-2018, 11:35 AM
I am with you on Chubb or Nelson. I know some say you can't draft a guard that high, but if it solves a huge problem, then so be it.

Further, I would prefer to not go RB in the first round, hoping for Gore to go one more year, but if Gore leaves, then we'll have to "do something, Grigs!:

I would be surprised if Gore is back next year.

Going into a season with a #1 RB 34 years old is just asking for problems.

Plus with a new GM making a decision on his contract and likely wanting a new direction for the team, I don't see it happening.

Gore has been perfectly fine as the #1 back. But I would like to see more than someone who can churn out 3-4 yards per carry and chug away for the usual 50-70 yards a game. I know he had a few 100 yard games, but those were outliers.

Of course upgrading the OL would help that, but changing to a younger, faster RB group would as well.

Hoopsdoc
01-03-2018, 11:42 AM

#1 CLE
#2 NYG
#5 DEN
#6 NYJ
#11 MIA ?
#12 CIN
#13 WAS ?
#15 ARI

The thought that the #3 pick has little trade value but that the #2 pick had a lot is, I think, false.

Even if QBs go #1 and #2, there is little clear consensus that there are only 2 QBs who are worthy of being a top 5 pick. Sure, DEN or NYJ could just sit tight and hope that their guy falls to them but they also might want to come up and ensure that they get their guy.

Best non-QB pick in the draft? #3. You sure someone else is not going to want to come up for the right to pick Barkley? Or Chubb? Or Fitzpatrick? Or Nelson? Or Williams? Or whomever they are in love with? Heck, if CLE is indeed enamored with Barkley, they might trade up 1 spot to make sure that no one else gets him. Then that #4 pick is more in range for DEN and NYJ for QB.

We don't know how it is going to work out until April, but I think there will be a ton of trade offers for the #3 pick conditioned on how the first 2 picks go. Those all get worked out ahead of time and then triggered on draft day.

If Ballard picks a guy at #3, then he is convinced that the kid is a stud. Cool.

However, if Ballard wants to trade down, I have little doubt that he will find trade partners.

Walk Worthy,

With Marvin Lewis back, Cincy isn’t drafting a qb in the first, IMO.

rcubed
01-03-2018, 11:44 AM
I would be surprised if Gore is back next year.

Going into a season with a #1 RB 34 years old is just asking for problems.

Plus with a new GM making a decision on his contract and likely wanting a new direction for the team, I don't see it happening.

Gore has been perfectly fine as the #1 back. But I would like to see more than someone who can churn out 3-4 yards per carry and chug away for the usual 50-70 yards a game. I know he had a few 100 yard games, but those were outliers.

Of course upgrading the OL would help that, but changing to a younger, faster RB group would as well.
also factor that gore probably wants to go to a team that will get him a championship. next year is probably his last. he came to the colts because he thought he was a piece to put us over the edge, but the team fell apart right after he got here.

I really hate to say it, but I wonder if he might travel east for one last chance next year...

Dam8610
01-03-2018, 12:20 PM
I wouldn't mind trading down to 5 if Denver is willing to mortgage their future for it. Other than that, though, stay put and draft the biggest defensive difference maker.

DragonTails
01-03-2018, 01:54 PM
If we draft a RB with our first pick then fk this team and fk Ballard.

We need trenches and then LB.

Are we still running a 3-4 or switching to a 4-3. (fu pags)

GoBigBlue88
01-03-2018, 02:56 PM
These draft simulators are so bad this time of year (Guice in the 2nd, Bryant in the freaking 7th LOL) but had some time to kill, so with Fanspeak's draft simulator...

R1P3: EDGE Bradley Chubb
R2P3: RB Derrius Guice (LOL no way he's here)
R3P3: OG/OT Isaiah Wynn
R4P3: OT Jamarco Jones
R5P3: ILB Josey Jewell
R6P3: ILB/OLB Josh Allen
R7P3: EDGE Austin Bryant (again he's 2nd round at worst...)

VeveJones007
01-03-2018, 03:41 PM

#1 CLE
#2 NYG
#5 DEN
#6 NYJ
#11 MIA ?
#12 CIN
#13 WAS ?
#15 ARI

Also, two of those teams (NYJ and CIN) passed on QBs at their spots last year. Why would they suddenly pay a king's ransom to move up to get the 3rd best QB in this draft?

Walk Worthy,

We'll see how the pre-draft buzz-machine works, but the QBs after Rosen/Darnold have mid- to late-1st grades from the scouting accounts I've read. If that's really how teams feel, why would they trade 2 1sts and a 2nd to move up to #3 to get one?

Not to mention that two of those teams (NYJ and CIN) passed on QBs last year. Now they're suddenly going to pay a ransom to get the 3rd best QB in this draft?

Dam8610
01-03-2018, 04:46 PM
We'll see how the pre-draft buzz-machine works, but the QBs after Rosen/Darnold have mid- to late-1st grades from the scouting accounts I've read. If that's really how teams feel, why would they trade 2 1sts and a 2nd to move up to #3 to get one?

Not to mention that two of those teams (NYJ and CIN) passed on QBs last year. Now they're suddenly going to pay a ransom to get the 3rd best QB in this draft?

Would a team have given that package up to take the 3rd best of Marino/Elway/Kelly? Just because he'd be the 3rd best in his class doesn't mean he wouldn't be worth it or a hall of famer.

VeveJones007
01-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Would a team have given that package up to take the 3rd best of Marino/Elway/Kelly? Just because he'd be the 3rd best in his class doesn't mean he wouldn't be worth it or a hall of famer.

That's also my point. This class of QBs isn't 1983. Nobody thinks so.

Dam8610
01-03-2018, 05:03 PM
That's also my point. This class of QBs isn't 1983. Nobody thinks so.

Baker Mayfield will likely rise up boards. I'd rather stay put, but if Denver or NYJ come calling with a king's ransom for the pick, trading down is an option IMO.

Colt Classic
01-03-2018, 08:32 PM
If you were GM and the Browns offered #1 and #4 for Luck, would you hang up on them?

Racehorse
01-03-2018, 08:34 PM
If you were GM and the Browns offered #1 and #4 for Luck, would you hang up on them?

Yes

Luck4Reich
01-03-2018, 08:48 PM

Anything that the Colts ever got from the Browns hasn’t been worth much... so hang up? No.... I wouldn’t even answer it.:cool:

Dam8610
01-03-2018, 08:54 PM

If Darnold declares, I'd ask if they'd be willing to throw in their 2019 & 2020 1st & 2nd rounders. If they say no, then I hang up.

Racehorse
01-03-2018, 09:10 PM
If Darnold declares, I'd ask if they'd be willing to throw in their 2019 & 2020 1st & 2nd rounders. If they say no, then I hang up.

Both he and Rosen have declared.

Dam8610
01-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Both he and Rosen have declared.

Did Darnold declaring happen today? Because earlier today I read that he hadn't declared yet and might not.

VeveJones007
01-03-2018, 09:30 PM
Did Darnold declaring happen today? Because earlier today I read that he hadn't declared yet and might not.

Darnold and Rosen both declared today.

Racehorse
01-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Darnold and Rosen both declared today.
He is obtuse, so you have to tell him twice.

apballin
01-03-2018, 10:50 PM
Barkley slam dunk not even close

DrSpaceman
01-04-2018, 12:38 AM
Barkley slam dunk not even close

I am beginning to think you are Jim Irsay himself.

Dam8610
01-04-2018, 01:12 AM
He is obtuse, so you have to tell him twice.

At 3, Darnold hadn't declared. It isn't unreasonable to not know that he declared in the intervening 4 hours.

Racehorse
01-04-2018, 07:54 AM
At 3, Darnold hadn't declared. It isn't unreasonable to not know that he declared in the intervening 4 hours.

If you have a smartphone, you get alerts on that sort of thing. Step out of the 80s and into the 21st century, Pags.

albany ed
01-04-2018, 08:17 AM

I would have to give this one serious consideration.

ukcolt
01-04-2018, 08:42 AM
I might entertain it, and then go get Kirk Cousins in free agency, trade the 1st overall pick for a kings ransom, draft Barkley and Chubb with the 3rd and 4th picks, and hope that with the trade of the 1st pick i am able to still grab guard Nelson.

Don't think that there is any chance that the Browns would offer that much for a damaged Luck though.

Pez
01-04-2018, 09:25 AM

I would have a hard time doing that to Andrew Luck...

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 09:32 AM

Yes.

omahacolt
01-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Yes

VeveJones007
01-04-2018, 12:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/04/mike-maccagnan-jets-may-trade-up-for-a-quarterback/

The Jets’ 5-11 record in 2017 was better than most people expected, and so their first-round draft pick, No. 6 overall, is worse than most people expected. General Manager Mike Maccagnan says if he has to trade up to get a better pick, he’ll do it.

Maccagnan was asked on ESPN 98.7 if he would consider trading up, and he said he absolutely would.

“The simple answer to that question is yes,” Maccagnan said. “If that was a player we felt strong about, we would have no qualms of potentially trying to go up and get him.”

Presumably if the Jets trade up, they would be targeting one of the three top quarterbacks, Josh Allen of Wyoming, Sam Darnold of USC and Josh Rosen of UCLA. The Colts, who have the third overall pick but are set at quarterback with Andrew Luck, could be a team fielding plenty of calls from other teams who want a guarantee at one of those three passers.

1.06 would be a great spot. If three QBs and Barkley go top 4, you could have your pick of Chubb, Roquon Smith, or OL depending on who Denver takes at 5.

sherck
01-04-2018, 01:57 PM
30 games / 1,169 attempts / 0,711 completions / 60.8% / 09,301 yards / 059 TD / 26 INT / 139.9 College QB Rating / 6'4" / 218 lbs / Josh Rosen, UCLA
27 games / 0,846 attempts / 0,539 completions / 64.9% / 07,229 yards / 057 TD / 22 INT / 153.7 College QB Rating / 6'4" / 220 lbs / Sam Darnold, USC
27 games / 0,649 attempts / 0,365 completions / 56.2% / 05,066 yards / 044 TD / 21 INT / 137.7 College QB Rating / 6'5" / 233 lbs / Josh Allen, Wyoming
48 games / 1,429 attempts / 1,026 completions / 68.5% / 14,607 yards / 131 TD / 30 INT / 175.4 College QB Rating / 6'1" / 220 lbs / Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
38 games / 1,086 attempts / 0,619 completions / 57.0% / 09,043 yards / 069 TD / 27 INT / 142.9 College QB Rating / 6'3" / 211 lbs / Lamar Jackson, Louisville
42 games / 1,447 attempts / 0,915 completions / 63.2% / 13,618 yards / 092 TD / 26 INT / 159.7 College QB Rating / 6'5" / 230 lbs / Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

I honestly could see NFL teams falling in love with any of those 6 guys and wanting him to be "their" guy and going and trading up to get him.

Sure, Darnold and Rosen may go #1 and #2....but Mayfield, Allen, Jacksona nd Rudolph are also as viable of franchise QB candidates as the other two.

I could easily see all six guys going in the top 15 picks of the draft.

And, I could see the Colts being able to trade down multiple times to end up in the middle of the draft with a ton of O-Linemen or defensive picks on the board with Top Ten grades and multiple 2nd round picks.

Who knows, but all 6 of those QBs make a case to fall in love with their potential.

Walk Worthy,

albany ed
01-04-2018, 03:03 PM
30 games / 1,169 attempts / 0,711 completions / 60.8% / 09,301 yards / 059 TD / 26 INT / 139.9 College QB Rating / 6'4" / 218 lbs / Josh Rosen, UCLA
27 games / 0,846 attempts / 0,539 completions / 64.9% / 07,229 yards / 057 TD / 22 INT / 153.7 College QB Rating / 6'4" / 220 lbs / Sam Darnold, USC
27 games / 0,649 attempts / 0,365 completions / 56.2% / 05,066 yards / 044 TD / 21 INT / 137.7 College QB Rating / 6'5" / 233 lbs / Josh Allen, Wyoming
48 games / 1,429 attempts / 1,026 completions / 68.5% / 14,607 yards / 131 TD / 30 INT / 175.4 College QB Rating / 6'1" / 220 lbs / Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma
38 games / 1,086 attempts / 0,619 completions / 57.0% / 09,043 yards / 069 TD / 27 INT / 142.9 College QB Rating / 6'3" / 211 lbs / Lamar Jackson, Louisville
42 games / 1,447 attempts / 0,915 completions / 63.2% / 13,618 yards / 092 TD / 26 INT / 159.7 College QB Rating / 6'5" / 230 lbs / Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

I honestly could see NFL teams falling in love with any of those 6 guys and wanting him to be "their" guy and going and trading up to get him.

Sure, Darnold and Rosen may go #1 and #2....but Mayfield, Allen, Jacksona nd Rudolph are also as viable of franchise QB candidates as the other two.

I could easily see all six guys going in the top 15 picks of the draft.

And, I could see the Colts being able to trade down multiple times to end up in the middle of the draft with a ton of O-Linemen or defensive picks on the board with Top Ten grades and multiple 2nd round picks.

Who knows, but all 6 of those QBs make a case to fall in love with their potential.

Walk Worthy,

Rosen and Darnold are coveted much higher than the rest. True, the others can have teams wanting them, but I don't think a King's ransom would be given for them. A decent 1 and a 4 maybe, but not much more.

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Rosen and Darnold are coveted much higher than the rest. True, the others can have teams wanting them, but I don't think a King's ransom would be given for them. A decent 1 and a 4 maybe, but not much more.

The Texans traded the Browns their 1st round pick (#25) and their 2018 first round pick (which will be #4, but obviously they had no way of knowing that ), for the #12 overall pick last year to grab Deshaun Watson.

The Chiefs traded the Bills their first round pick (#27 overall), their 3rd rounder and their 2018 first rounder to move up to #10 to grab Patrick Mahomes.

I think that guys like Mayfield/Allen will have similar value and that if it's moving up to #3, the asking price should be, at a minimum, this year's #1 (and it better be a first half selection) and next years' as well as another round pick in 2018.

I agree with you that guys like Mayfield/Allen aren't going to grade out as being "Trade The Franchise Worthy", but I do think that it's possible that if two QB's go one-two and there's a bunch of other QB-starved teams that it's possible a run on QB's to open the draft could cause a team to desperately trade the Colts a healthy sum.

rcubed
01-04-2018, 06:08 PM
What did the Bears give up to move up and get Trebisky?

Coltsalr
01-04-2018, 06:19 PM
What did the Bears give up to move up and get Trebisky?

The Chicago Bears traded up one spot in the draft with the San Francisco 49ers to select quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Chicago dealt the No. 3 pick, their third round pick (No. 67), one of their fourth round picks (No. 111) and a 2018 third-round pick to move up and take Trubisky, considered one of the draft’s top quarterbacks.

YDFL Commish
01-04-2018, 08:19 PM
One thing that may devalue this QB draft class is the potential FA or trade able QB's in 2018.

Alex Smith
Kirk Cousins
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Jay Cutler
Tyrod Taylor
Teddy Bridgewater
Sam Bradford
Case Keenum

GoBigBlue88
01-04-2018, 08:31 PM
The only pick I'm really against at 3 is Nelson. I know Colts have a huge hole at guard, but I've lost track of how often there's a "can't miss" guard like Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper, etc. People act like Nelson is can't-miss because he's a guard.

I'm just categorically against that draft investment for a guard.

Racehorse
01-04-2018, 08:33 PM
One thing that may devalue this QB draft class is the potential FA or trade able QB's in 2018.

Alex Smith
Kirk Cousins
Eli Manning
Drew Brees
Jay Cutler
Tyrod Taylor
Teddy Bridgewater
Sam Bradford
Case Keenum
Manning and Brees are short-term fixes which would not negate drafting a QB. Cutler is likely a back-up going forward, as could be one or two of those listed here. Smith is on the back 9, too. Further, teams who would lose one of these guys, except MINN, would need to replace them.

VeveJones007
01-04-2018, 09:29 PM
The Texans traded the Browns their 1st round pick (#25) and their 2018 first round pick (which will be #4, but obviously they had no way of knowing that ), for the #12 overall pick last year to grab Deshaun Watson.

The Chiefs traded the Bills their first round pick (#27 overall), their 3rd rounder and their 2018 first rounder to move up to #10 to grab Patrick Mahomes.

I think that guys like Mayfield/Allen will have similar value and that if it's moving up to #3, the asking price should be, at a minimum, this year's #1 (and it better be a first half selection) and next years' as well as another round pick in 2018.

I agree with you that guys like Mayfield/Allen aren't going to grade out as being "Trade The Franchise Worthy", but I do think that it's possible that if two QB's go one-two and there's a bunch of other QB-starved teams that it's possible a run on QB's to open the draft could cause a team to desperately trade the Colts a healthy sum.

I would feel significantly more confident in being able to command that type of package with the 2nd pick. Ugh.

omahacolt
01-04-2018, 10:31 PM
The only pick I'm really against at 3 is Nelson. I know Colts have a huge hole at guard, but I've lost track of how often there's a "can't miss" guard like Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper, etc. People act like Nelson is can't-miss because he's a guard.

I'm just categorically against that draft investment for a guard.

I agree

Even if you have no holes on the roster, you don't take a guard that high

DrSpaceman
01-05-2018, 11:08 AM
The Chicago Bears traded up one spot in the draft with the San Francisco 49ers to select quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Chicago dealt the No. 3 pick, their third round pick (No. 67), one of their fourth round picks (No. 111) and a 2018 third-round pick to move up and take Trubisky, considered one of the draft’s top quarterbacks.

Did they swap first round picks as well in that deal?

I don't think that type of deal would be worth it to trade down.

I'd only trade down for swapping first round picks in the top 10 and at least one other first round pick thrown into the mix.

YDFL Commish
01-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Manning and Brees are short-term fixes which would not negate drafting a QB. Cutler is likely a back-up going forward, as could be one or two of those listed here. Smith is on the back 9, too. Further, teams who would lose one of these guys, except MINN, would need to replace them.

Elway may be looking for a short term fix in Denver, as the window is closing on that roster to compete for another championship.

smitty46953
01-05-2018, 11:24 AM
Did they swap first round picks as well in that deal?

Yes, they did the 3rd pick for the second plus their third round pick (No. 67), one of their fourth round picks (No. 111) and a 2018 third-round pick to move up...

I would do that everyday and twice on draft day :cool:

Racehorse
01-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Elway may be looking for a short term fix in Denver, as the window is closing on that roster to compete for another championship.

Yes, that is for sure.

VeveJones007
01-05-2018, 03:05 PM

They’ve been scouting Josh Allen a lot.

GoBigBlue88
01-05-2018, 03:14 PM
They’ve been scouting Josh Allen a lot.

And I don't follow CFB closely, but I do know some NFL scouts are super high on Josh Allen despite CFB fans not understanding the hype about him. Like, top 3 pick high on him.

Hey, it only takes one team... Let's hope it's the Broncos. If QBs go first three picks and CLE is up next, I doubt CLE needs another EDGE, so they probably go Barkley. Which means Colts could grab Chubb at 5 in the trade down AND still be able to add starting caliber OL/RB/ILB/whatever with two high picks in the second. (Not to mention future picks acquired.)

Coltsalr
01-05-2018, 03:18 PM
I wonder if Denver would be willing to toss in one of their defenders along with their 1st round pick to get their coveted QB.

If they'd start out with offering us the #5 overall pick and Shaq Barrett, I'm sure we could work something out.

VeveJones007
01-05-2018, 03:27 PM
And I don't follow CFB closely, but I do know some NFL scouts are super high on Josh Allen despite CFB fans not understanding the hype about him. Like, top 3 pick high on him.

Hey, it only takes one team... Let's hope it's the Broncos. If QBs go first three picks and CLE is up next, I doubt CLE needs another EDGE, so they probably go Barkley. Which means Colts could grab Chubb at 5 in the trade down AND still be able to add starting caliber OL/RB/ILB/whatever with two high picks in the second. (Not to mention future picks acquired.)

Yep, 5 or 6 are good spots to target in a trade down. You get more picks and still get a premium talent. We just have to hope someone falls in love with one of the QBs at 3.

Oldcolt
01-05-2018, 05:58 PM
What's your opinion on trading Brissett? Would you and if so what would it take in return. I would if we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

Coltsalr
01-05-2018, 06:04 PM
What's your opinion on trading Brissett? Would you and if so what would it take in return. I would if we could get a 2nd rounder for him.

I'd love it, so long as it's not reckless (Luck has an indisputably clean bill of health).

It'd be even better if we could package Brissett with our #3 overall pick. Like, if Denver (again), believes they can win with Brissett and then drafting Saquon Barkley (which, hell, they might be able to) and will trade us a king's ransom for both, then yes, rape Elway right then and there.

Dam8610
01-05-2018, 06:06 PM
I wonder if Denver would be willing to toss in one of their defenders along with their 1st round pick to get their coveted QB.

If they'd start out with offering us the #5 overall pick and Shaq Barrett, I'm sure we could work something out.

I'd want Ray and their 2018 1.

rcubed
01-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Trade if we can get something decent for him or include him in some trade containing our pics.

omahacolt
01-05-2018, 07:55 PM

haha

nobody is trading a 2nd for fucking brissett

Coltsalr
01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
I'd want Ray and their 2018 1.

He had a pretty underwhelming 2017.

VeveJones007
01-05-2018, 11:15 PM
He had a pretty underwhelming 2017.

Well he did spend half the year on IR.

FatDT
01-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Brisset will not command much in a trade right now. 5th at best. I'd rather keep him.

DrSpaceman
01-06-2018, 12:20 AM
haha

nobody is trading a 2nd for fucking brissett

Yes that is wishful thinking

ANd I would keep him because he is a solid back up, though not a great option as a long term starter.

You are not going to get back in value in a trade what he is worth to the team. I still think Luck will be back and will be OK next year, but he has been injury prone and you never know with the bad OL if he will survive the season

YDFL Commish
01-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Brisset will not command much in a trade right now. 5th at best. I'd rather keep him.

I disagree. He was a late 3rd rd pick. Isn't his value higher now, than when he was drafted?

So I can easily see him being worth an early 3rd rd. pick.

GoBigBlue88
01-06-2018, 12:08 PM
Yes that is wishful thinking

ANd I would keep him because he is a solid back up, though not a great option as a long term starter.

You are not going to get back in value in a trade what he is worth to the team. I still think Luck will be back and will be OK next year, but he has been injury prone and you never know with the bad OL if he will survive the season

Amen. Just wanted to add some redundancy here given my criticism of Brissett over the season to get on record that, while I don't think Brissett is a QB1, I think with an offseason of actual coaching in an actual system, he's about as good as it gets if Luck has to miss 2-3 weeks at any point or isn't ready to go at the start of the season.

indycolts2
01-06-2018, 12:34 PM
I disagree. He was a late 3rd rd pick. Isn't his value higher now, than when he was drafted?

So I can easily see him being worth an early 3rd rd. pick.

Yeah I don't understand the thinking that Brissett isn't worth much more than a late round pick. Rushed into a new system, learning on the fly with an admittedly weak o-line and some skill position players without much skill or desire I think he did pretty well all things considered.

VeveJones007
01-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Amen. Just wanted to add some redundancy here given my criticism of Brissett over the season to get on record that, while I don't think Brissett is a QB1, I think with an offseason of actual coaching in an actual system, he's about as good as it gets if Luck has to miss 2-3 weeks at any point or isn't ready to go at the start of the season.

Agreed. He has a lot of tools. He just made so many misreads that a better coach might be able to correct them or simplify the scheme (or both).

FatDT
01-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Yeah I don't understand the thinking that Brissett isn't worth much more than a late round pick. Rushed into a new system, learning on the fly with an admittedly weak o-line and some skill position players without much skill or desire I think he did pretty well all things considered.

I don't think he sucks. I like Brisset. I just don't think he has much trade value.

Maniac
01-07-2018, 02:42 AM

It's pretty simple. From what he showed so far, he looks to be a backup qb. Didn't see open guys, held onto the ball too long, etc. Can he correct those things? Possibly, but at this point, I don't see a team being willing to give up a decent draft pick to acquire him.

DrSpaceman
01-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Brissett has a strong arm and can make all the needed throws in this league.

When his first read was not open though and he had to read the field, decide what to do, he struggled mightily.

now yes, granted, the coaching did him no favors. And he was basically a rookie. But still, he has not yet shown he can be a starter on a consistent basis and win. Maybe he will develop into that, but no team would count on that based on what was seen so far

Maniac
01-09-2018, 09:44 AM
I hadn't seen Georgia play before, but after watching last night, it would be awesome if the Colts could trade back some and get Roquan Smith.

YDFL Commish
01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing. That guy has some serious game speed.

FatDT
01-09-2018, 10:23 AM
Isn't he tiny though? Like 5'11 and 215?

Maniac
01-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Isn't he tiny though? Like 5'11 and 215?

wikipedia has him at 6'1", 225 lbs

FatDT
01-09-2018, 11:07 AM
wikipedia has him at 6'1", 225 lbs

I may be misinformed then. I'm still wary of spending a high pick on a LB like him unless he's on a level with Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchley.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 01:48 PM
I hadn't seen Georgia play before, but after watching last night, it would be awesome if the Colts could trade back some and get Roquan Smith.

He's currently ranked higher than Chubb on Matt Miller's big board (#5 overall), so you wouldn't be able to trade back very far. Miller also sees him as more of a WLB in a 4-3 due to his size.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 01:49 PM
I may be misinformed then. I'm still wary of spending a high pick on a LB like him unless he's on a level with Patrick Willis or Luke Keuchley.

Regardless of where they draft a player like him, that sideline to sideline playmaking ability is something they desperately need at LB.

Maniac
01-09-2018, 02:22 PM
He's currently ranked higher than Chubb on Matt Miller's big board (#5 overall), so you wouldn't be able to trade back very far. Miller also sees him as more of a WLB in a 4-3 due to his size.

I believe it. He looks like a better playmaker than Chubb does.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 02:27 PM
I believe it. He looks like a better playmaker than Chubb does.

But he doesn't rush the passer or set the edge like Chubb, either.

It looks like Allen and Mayfield are starting to creep up some draft boards. If we could get the Broncos or Jets to move up to #3, that would be pretty ideal. Get something like #6, #38, a 4th, and still get a very good player like Chubb, Smith, OL. That would give you multiple early 2nds to augment the defense or OL.

Dam8610
01-09-2018, 02:44 PM
But he doesn't rush the passer or set the edge like Chubb, either.

It looks like Allen and Mayfield are starting to creep up some draft boards. If we could get the Broncos or Jets to move up to #3, that would be pretty ideal. Get something like #6, #38, a 4th, and still get a very good player like Chubb, Smith, OL. That would give you multiple early 2nds to augment the defense or OL.

The ideal scenario is that the Broncos get so enamored with Allen or Mayfield that they send the #5 pick, the #38 pick, and their 2019 1 for the #3 pick. Browns will likely take Barkley, Williams, or Fitzpatrick at 4 (who cares) which means the Colts could stay put and grab Chubb at 5 if they believe in him, or potentially find another trade in the top 10 and pick up another 2019 1 and STILL grab a playmaker like Smith. I'd be thrilled if the latter happened.

YDFL Commish
01-09-2018, 02:45 PM

He's the same height and approximately 10 lbs. lighter than Timmons and Shazier. Didn't they both play ILB for the Stillers?

He'll put on 10 lbs. easily as pro. Besides, as has been mentioned previously, we desperately need to improve the defensive team speed.

Dam8610
01-09-2018, 02:48 PM
He's the same height and approximately 10 lbs. lighter than Timmons and Shazier. Didn't they both play ILB for the Stillers?

He'll put on 10 lbs. easily as pro. Besides, as has been mentioned previously, we desperately need to improve the defensive team speed.

I'd be shocked if he isn't listed at something around 6'1" 240 on whatever roster he's on on opening day next year.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Too early to say until he weighs in at the combine (or pro day). I don't trust listed height and weight provided by the colleges.

VeveJones007
01-09-2018, 02:52 PM
The ideal scenario is that the Broncos get so enamored with Allen or Mayfield that they send the #5 pick, the #38 pick, and their 2019 1 for the #3 pick. Browns will likely take Barkley, Williams, or Fitzpatrick at 4 (who cares) which means the Colts could stay put and grab Chubb at 5 if they believe in him, or potentially find another trade in the top 10 and pick up another 2019 1 and STILL grab a playmaker like Smith. I'd be thrilled if the latter happened.

FWIW, the draft value chart shows roughly equal value for #3 and #5 + #37. You'd need to move down closer to #10 to warrant a 2019 1st according to the chart.

Realistically, the only way to drive up the value of #3 for the Broncos is to get multiple teams bidding. If the Browns go QB, then the Broncos don't have to worry about QBs being taken at 3 or 4 unless there's the possibility of a trade with another team.

Dam8610
01-09-2018, 04:40 PM
FWIW, the draft value chart shows roughly equal value for #3 and #5 + #37. You'd need to move down closer to #10 to warrant a 2019 1st according to the chart.

Realistically, the only way to drive up the value of #3 for the Broncos is to get multiple teams bidding. If the Browns go QB, then the Broncos don't have to worry about QBs being taken at 3 or 4 unless there's the possibility of a trade with another team.

Draft value charts aren't gospel. By the draft value chart, the Redskins NEVER should've given up what they did for RGIII, but they thought he was a franchise QB, so they pulled the trigger. Like I said, it would require Elway becoming heavily enamored with Allen or Mayfield, or one of Rosen or Darnold falling out of the Top 2, but if he wanted an available QB enough, he'd pull the trigger.

YDFL Commish
01-10-2018, 12:54 AM
I've already stated my preference to just take Barkely at #3. But, after watching Sony Michel for 2 games, I wouldn't mind him at RB, in whatever round he's graded at ( probably 2nd or 3rd).

I actually like him better than Chubb.

FatDT
01-10-2018, 06:33 AM
I've already stated my preference to just take Barkely at #3. But, after watching Sony Michel for 2 games, I wouldn't mind him at RB, in whatever round he's graded at ( probably 2nd or 3rd).

I actually like him better than Chubb.

I do too. I think there might be some others in this class that would be worth taking somewhere in the first three rounds.

sherck
01-10-2018, 07:32 AM
I do too. I think there might be some others in this class that would be worth taking somewhere in the first three rounds.
Please. No.

Frank Gore, who is a top 5 ALL TIME running back in just about every stat has averaged 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 ypc in his 3 seasons with the Colts. Granted, he is 61 years old but anyone watching could see that his effort on the field was that of someone a decade younger than his actual age. He brought it EVERY game and he could not crack 4.0 ypc behind this line.

I don't know that Barry Sanders would average 4.0 ypc behind this offensive line.

Fix the O-Line FIRST before getting a high-pick RB.

Okay, sure. We sign 2 sure-fire OG starters in free agency better than Good & Haeg and draft OT in the 1st round of the draft, then, yeah, draft RB in the 2nd or 3rd round (but after Pass Rush, please).

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 08:03 AM
Please. No.

Frank Gore, who is a top 5 ALL TIME running back in just about every stat has averaged 3.7, 3.9, 3.7 ypc in his 3 seasons with the Colts. Granted, he is 61 years old but anyone watching could see that his effort on the field was that of someone a decade younger than his actual age. He brought it EVERY game and he could not crack 4.0 ypc behind this line.

I don't know that Barry Sanders would average 4.0 ypc behind this offensive line.

Okay, sure. We sign 2 sure-fire OG starters in free agency better than Good & Haeg and draft OT in the 1st round of the draft, then, yeah, draft RB in the 2nd or 3rd round (but after Pass Rush, please).

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

Getting a RB in the 3rd round is a great idea. No reason they can’t sign two quality OL and draft two more to go with that RB.

Pez
01-10-2018, 08:37 AM
Please. No.

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

This exactly, overpay as needed.

This high pick makes it easy to justify bad decisions, perhaps somewhat like heroin. We have a top 5 QB and a bottom 5 line. I don't see that there is any priority above the OL.

This team absolutely sucks without Andrew Luck. Lets protect that first. God forbid we somehow manage to create a running game out of the deal.

YDFL Commish
01-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Please. No.

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

Barry Sanders would've averaged over 5 ypc behind this O-Line. As far as run blocking goes, I would say the O-Line was middling to average. Now, if you wanna talk about the pass blocking, then that's a different conversation.

If we really wanna face the facts, Gore just doesn't have the speed anymore to not only hit some of the holes, but to break the big runs. If there is a cutback lane to the outside, you can see that he can't take full advantage of it.

Also, I'm not sold on Mack as Gore's replacement either. We've got to get another dynamic dual threat RB.

sherck
01-10-2018, 11:31 AM
Barry Sanders would've averaged over 5 ypc behind this O-Line. As far as run blocking goes, I would say the O-Line was middling to average. Now, if you wanna talk about the pass blocking, then that's a different conversation.

If we really wanna face the facts, Gore just doesn't have the speed anymore to not only hit some of the holes, but to break the big runs. If there is a cutback lane to the outside, you can see that he can't take full advantage of it.

Also, I'm not sold on Mack as Gore's replacement either. We've got to get another dynamic dual threat RB.
I am not disagreeing with this in the least. I want Andrew Luck to have his Edge.....

But, I want the order to be O-Line first, RB second. Taking a RB with one of our top three choices in the 2018 draft reverses that order.

That is all I am trying to say. Fix the O-Line; find an Edge. That is the order Ballard should take.

Walk Worthy,

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 01:01 PM
I am not disagreeing with this in the least. I want Andrew Luck to have his Edge.....

But, I want the order to be O-Line first, RB second. Taking a RB with one of our top three choices in the 2018 draft reverses that order.

That is all I am trying to say. Fix the O-Line; find an Edge. That is the order Ballard should take.

Walk Worthy,

I’d love it if they signed two solid OL in UFA, drafted one in the top 2 rounds, and hit on a 3rd round RB like KC and NO did.

FatDT
01-10-2018, 04:33 PM
Please. No.

But, otherwise? No.

Walk Worthy,

Sherck. Don't explain things to me like I don't know about the OL problems. Of course the OL is top priority. But we are not fixing the OL with a second or third round pick. We're fixing it with FA, a new scheme on offense, better coaching, and maybe a high first round pick. Most OL don't develop enough in college anymore.

Frank Gore is a very good back for his age. I'm happy to bring him back for another year to transition to our new lead back. But he's old and will slow down or get hurt. Happens to everyone.

I'm not convinced Mack is the guy at all. I don't think he can carry the ball 20 times a game and I don't think there's evidence to expect him to. We do need a Gore replacement. Whether he re-signs or not.

I don't really want Barkley. I don't believe in high first round RBs. You don't need one to succeed, at all. But even if you just look at the numbers, the large majority of top RBs are drafted in the first three rounds. If a guy like Michel is available in the third and we got some good prospects in the first couple of rounds I'm in favor of drafting him. A dynamic back like him coupled with a better OL will only help Luck and our new OC better implement the new offense.

rcubed
01-10-2018, 05:11 PM
I would prefer a bad ass defensive player, but if ballard actually takes barkley, I wont kill him for it.

apballin
01-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Last year 3 RB's went 1st round

All 3 teams made the playoffs

A dynamic back like Barkley can make a hell of a difference

Oldcolt
01-10-2018, 07:04 PM
I am in the fix the line at all costs line. Open the vault and bring in two guards. Spend the high pick on a tackle. I love Barkley but this draft is thick with running backs. You'll get a damn good one in the second or third round. I think we have a much better chance of winning the super bowl with a great offensive line than with a transcendent running back

rcubed
01-10-2018, 07:12 PM
I am in the fix the line at all costs line. Open the vault and bring in two guards. Spend the high pick on a tackle. I love Barkley but this draft is thick with running backs. You'll get a damn good one in the second or third round. I think we have a much better chance of winning the super bowl with a great offensive line than with a transcendent running back
there seems to be a lot of either-or in these posts. drafting barkley doesnt precludes you from building an o-line. Most here say get some FA guards and draft some guys. The only o-lineman worth drafting that high (that I have read about) is nelson and most dont want to draft a guard at #3.

so the question comes down to do you want barkley or a defender with our first pick?

Mr. Session
01-10-2018, 07:26 PM
We need some explosion at that position (RB). Someone who can convert the short yardage gains that Gore can give us, but also take advantage of openings like Mack can; Without having to sacrifice one to get the other.

I like where FatDT's head is at. If we can find that value later, we should wait. I also think Barkley could make our offensive line look a lot better. I'm interested to see how things shake out during the combine and offseason. It seems like kid's stock always changes. Who really knows how these kids will be valued through the spring?

I voted trade down, but if the trades aren't there and Chubb is no longer considered as strong as a pick as he is now, go with Barkley. It's going to take a couple of years, lets get better in the OL next year when our record doesn't allow us to pick a true impact player like we can this year (assuming Chubb's stock suffers).

If Chubb is still the man when the draft rolls around I will completely understand the heat for passing on him for Barkley. We really do need someone who can get in the opposition's cheeks and Chubb plays with a nice edge.

Indiana V2
01-10-2018, 11:23 PM
I initially voted to trade back, but I'm leaning towards a disruptive pass rusher.

VeveJones007
01-10-2018, 11:49 PM
Last year 3 RB's went 1st round

All 3 teams made the playoffs

A dynamic back like Barkley can make a hell of a difference

No, two RBs went in the 1st round last year. Yes, both of their teams made the playoffs, but two RBs in the 3rd round had better years and both of their teams also made the playoffs.

Dam8610
01-11-2018, 02:01 AM
I initially voted to trade back, but I'm leaning towards a disruptive pass rusher.

Is that guy there, though? Chubb could be, he could not be. If you have to squint too much to see it, it might be wiser to trade down and pick up Roquon Smith or someone else that they feel will be a playmaker.

nate505
01-11-2018, 02:32 AM
I would prefer a bad ass defensive player, but if ballard actually takes barkley, I wont kill him for it.

Same here. If he really is the next AP then I couldn't be too upset. It also doesn't hurt his case when there is not a Von Miller slam dunk defensive pass rusher or a sure fire 10+ year pro bowler tackle available.

VeveJones007
01-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Is that guy there, though? Chubb could be, he could not be. If you have to squint too much to see it, it might be wiser to trade down and pick up Roquon Smith or someone else that they feel will be a playmaker.

Might be able to trade down to 5 or 6 and still get Chubb. I'd feel very good about that.

sherck
01-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Might be able to trade down to 5 or 6 and still get Chubb. I'd feel very good about that.

#3 overall is valued at 2,200 points according to most charts.

#5 overall (1,700) + 2nd round 5th pick, #37 overall (530) = 2,230 points. About an even trade with us perhaps having to throw in a 6th or 7th round pick to even it out.

To drop from #5 with same year compensation, you need to drop down to #11 overall to get another 2nd rounder:

#11 overall (1,250) + 2nd round 11th pick, #43 overall (470) = 1,720 points.

So, some of the options appear to be something like:

Option A = Pick #03 + #35.

Option B = Pick #05 + #35 + #37

Option C = Pick #11 + #35 + #37 + #43

Honestly, I choose option C above. 4 guys in the top 43 beats 2 guys in the top 35 when we have as many holes on our roster as we do.

Of course, you can slide down less from pick #5 if you want to just pick up 3rd or 4th round choices instead of 2nd round choices. I would rather get guys in the top 50 than guys in the 100s.

Walk Worthy,

YDFL Commish
01-11-2018, 01:42 PM
To drop from #5 with same year compensation, you need to drop down to #11 overall to get another 2nd rounder:

Walk Worthy,

I really like this scenario. Because it could yield:

#11 Harold Landry
#35 Sony Michel
#37 Will Hernandez

Dam8610
01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
#3 overall is valued at 2,200 points according to most charts.

#5 overall (1,700) + 2nd round 5th pick, #37 overall (530) = 2,230 points. About an even trade with us perhaps having to throw in a 6th or 7th round pick to even it out.

#11 overall (1,250) + 2nd round 11th pick, #43 overall (470) = 1,720 points.

So, some of the options appear to be something like:

Option A = Pick #03 + #35.

Option B = Pick #05 + #35 + #37

Honestly, I choose option C above. 4 guys in the top 43 beats 2 guys in the top 35 when we have as many holes on our roster as we do.

Of course, you can slide down less from pick #5 if you want to just pick up 3rd or 4th round choices instead of 2nd round choices. I would rather get guys in the top 50 than guys in the 100s.

Walk Worthy,

I understand the draft value charts, but they're static and don't take into account things like a team deciding they have to have a certain player, i.e. Washington with RGIII. I'm really hoping Denver ends up deciding they need a certain QB (don't care which one as long as they're likely to be available at 3) and "overpays" based on the draft chart to move up to 3 while the Colts get 5, 36, and Denver's 2019 1. They still have their choice of defender at 5 in all likelihood, and there are still trade opportunities there if for some reason the front office feels this draft is deeper than it is topheavy.

Thorgrim
01-11-2018, 05:14 PM
I understand the draft value charts, but they're static and don't take into account things like a team deciding they have to have a certain player, i.e. Washington with RGIII. I'm really hoping Denver ends up deciding they need a certain QB (don't care which one as long as they're likely to be available at 3) and "overpays" based on the draft chart to move up to 3 while the Colts get 5, 36, and Denver's 2019 1. They still have their choice of defender at 5 in all likelihood, and there are still trade opportunities there if for some reason the front office feels this draft is deeper than it is topheavy.

Not sure we can swing this but I'm all in favor of more draft picks. I'm just not enamored with who's likely hitting free agency and we have a lot of holes to fill. I would go out and pay whatever it takes to get Pugh from the giants and then one other quality starter at a position of need. Overpay if necessary. Follow that up with a slew of picks in the draft and we should see improvement on the field.

Chromeburn
01-11-2018, 06:17 PM
I am finding it harder to pass up Barkley. I know I shouldn't draft a RB that high with our line issues, but he does look awesome. Draft him, build the line with best FA available and some picks over the next two years....

If ballard truly goes with BPA, I could see him pick barkley.

In the end, I would probably pick chubb though.

I wouldn't feel too bad, they guy is a dynamic weapon. And not just a RB but a WR too and maybe best pass blocking back in the draft. Venturi had a nice quote, he was told early on by another coach that you draft a guy who gets the ball in the end zone or goes after the QB with a top ten pick.

Coltsalr
01-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Matt Miller is a guy I trust (I know GBB88 can back me up on this):

@nfldraftscout
Bradley Chubb is special.

That is all.

albany ed
01-12-2018, 12:29 PM
On this site, http://walterfootball.com/draft2018charlie.php the mock draft has the Browns taking Barkley, G-men take Rosen, Colts take Chubb and then the Browns take Darnold. If the first two picks actually went this way, there are a few teams that would give up a lot to move ahead of the Browns and take Darnold.

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Matt Miller is a guy I trust (I know GBB88 can back me up on this):

@nfldraftscout
Bradley Chubb is special.

That is all.

He followed that with:

Since a lot of you are asking: I don't think Chubb is on Myles Garrett's level. Bet I end up grading him similar to Joey Bosa. His agility at 6'4 1/2" and 275 lbs is pretty damn rare.

YDFL Commish
01-12-2018, 12:51 PM
On this site, the mock draft has the Browns taking Barkley, G-men take Rosen, Colts take Chubb and then the Browns take Darnold. If the first two picks actually went this way, there are a few teams that would give up a lot to move ahead of the Browns and take Darnold.

The rankings of the QB talent among the top 5, Rosen, Arnold, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph are all over the place.

I have seen at least 2 sites that have Mason Rudolph as their top QB? Then you throw in the wildcard of Lamar Jackson, who IMO is not a 1st rd QB, and I can see teams falling in love with smoe of these guys and moving up to get them.

sherck
01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Dang....

I was doing research on the potential hiring of Josh McDaniels and found a few tidbits.

From this article on a Cheats board (Pats Pulpit....here (https://www.patspulpit.com/2014/8/11/5991735/breaking-down-the-josh-mcdaniels-offense)), they looked at McDaniels' offense from 2006 - 2014 and who got the ball (touches) and who gained the most yards.

This period includes McDaniels' 1st time as Cheats OC (2006 - 2008), Denver HC (2009 - 2010) and St. Louis OC (2011) before returning to the Cheats for a 2nd time as OC (2012 - 2014).

What did he find?
Running backs have accounted for 63.3% of offensive touches and 41.3% of the offensive yards from scrimmage.
Roughly 30% of the touches will go to the wide receivers, as will 45-50% of the yards from scrimmage.
So, through the majority of his time as OC or HC, his offenses have featured his RBs followed by his WRs with his TEs coming in dead last.

I did some spot analysis of the Cheats 2016 / 2017 numbers and they are in line with the above figures.

So, to bring that back to this thread.

Fact A = Ballard says that he drafts BPA pretty much exclusively (obviously, not at QB but otherwise...).

Fact B = Under a McDaniels' offense, the RBs average touching the ball on 63% of the offensive plays (run or pass).

Fact C = The Colts RB corps for 2018 currently is underwhelming. Even if they re-sign Frank Gore, they are still, at best, NFL average.

Fact D = Penn State RB Saquon Barkley is considered by many to be the best player in the 2018 draft and completely NFL ready to start and succeed from day one. Obviously, the combine and the vetting process may change this assessment but as of now....

Ergo, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, Barkley will be our pick at #3 overall in the 2018 draft. Need plus BPA marry up on this one.

Further, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, I fully expect that at least 2 "monster" free agency contracts signed by us will be offensive line.

Sigh....not the way that I want it to happen. I like Barkley but our O-Line / Defensive Front-7 are not stocked well enough for us to pick a "luxury" pick of RB at #3 overall, IMO.

But, he will be Andrew's "Edge" and that will make Irsay and McDaniels very happy.

Walk Worthy,

YDFL Commish
01-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Dang....

I was doing research on the potential hiring of Josh McDaniels and found a few tidbits.

From this article on a Cheats board (Pats Pulpit....here (https://www.patspulpit.com/2014/8/11/5991735/breaking-down-the-josh-mcdaniels-offense)), they looked at McDaniels' offense from 2006 - 2014 and who got the ball (touches) and who gained the most yards.

This period includes McDaniels' 1st time as Cheats OC (2006 - 2008), Denver HC (2009 - 2010) and St. Louis OC (2011) before returning to the Cheats for a 2nd time as OC (2012 - 2014).

What did he find?

So, through the majority of his time as OC or HC, his offenses have featured his RBs followed by his WRs with his TEs coming in dead last.

I did some spot analysis of the Cheats 2016 / 2017 numbers and they are in line with the above figures.

So, to bring that back to this thread.

Fact A = Ballard says that he drafts BPA pretty much exclusively (obviously, not at QB but otherwise...).

Fact B = Under a McDaniels' offense, the RBs average touching the ball on 63% of the offensive plays (run or pass).

Fact C = The Colts RB corps for 2018 currently is underwhelming. Even if they re-sign Frank Gore, they are still, at best, NFL average.

Fact D = Penn State RB Saquon Barkley is considered by many to be the best player in the 2018 draft and completely NFL ready to start and succeed from day one. Obviously, the combine and the vetting process may change this assessment but as of now....

Ergo, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, Barkley will be our pick at #3 overall in the 2018 draft. Need plus BPA marry up on this one.

Further, if McDaniels' is the next HC of the Colts, I fully expect that at least 2 "monster" free agency contracts signed by us will be offensive line.

Sigh....not the way that I want it to happen. I like Barkley but our O-Line / Defensive Front-7 are not stocked well enough for us to pick a "luxury" pick of RB at #3 overall, IMO.

But, he will be Andrew's "Edge" and that will make Irsay and McDaniels very happy.

Walk Worthy,

But the Pats have done it W/O a superstar RB (other than Corey Dillon), it been mostly a RB by committee. Even back in 2006, there were times that Dillon was a healthy scratch.

The Pats RB's have been Corey Dillon, Lawrence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Green Ellis, Fred Taylor, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vareen, Brandon Bolden, Jonas Gray, LaGarrette Blount, James White, Dion Lewis, Mike Gilesllee, Rex Burkhead.

Notice a trend? All role playing RB's for the most part.

Although, the Pats offense is labeled a Erhardt/Perkins scheme, essentially BB and McDaniels are running a Ted Marchibroda modified offense from the '70's.

The old timers here can back me up on this, but the Baltmore Colts under Marchibroda threw to the RB's a lot.

I can see a lot of what Brady does under center is very similar to what Bert Jones did.

So, in theory, we would not need a superstar RB.

Dam8610
01-12-2018, 01:54 PM
He followed that with:

Since a lot of you are asking: I don't think Chubb is on Myles Garrett's level. Bet I end up grading him similar to Joey Bosa. His agility at 6'4 1/2" and 275 lbs is pretty damn rare.

I'd be okay with a Joey Bosa type at 3. The production scares me a bit with him, though, especially how hot and cold he can be.

sherck
01-12-2018, 02:02 PM
But the Pats have done it W/O a superstar RB (other than Corey Dillon), it been mostly a RB by committee. Even back in 2006, there were times that Dillon was a healthy scratch.

The Pats RB's have been Corey Dillon, Lawrence Maroney, Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Green Ellis, Fred Taylor, Stevan Ridley, Danny Woodhead, Shane Vareen, Brandon Bolden, Jonas Gray, LaGarrette Blount, James White, Dion Lewis, Mike Gilesllee, Rex Burkhead.

Although, the Pats offense is labeled a Erhardt/Perkins scheme, essentially BB and McDaniels are running a Ted Marchibroda modified offense from the '70's.

The old timers here can back me up on this, but the Baltmore Colts under Marchibroda threw to the RB's a lot.

I can see a lot of what Brady does under center is very similar to what Bert Jones did.

I don't disagree with you; however....

The Cheats have had the luxury of having a top defense for the majority of their run since 2006. This contributes to....

An effective offense centered around a stud QB. Yeah, I hate Tommy Cheater but he is a stud. This is fueled by....

An offensive line that, while not top five, has been solidly good for a long time. I think that Tommy Cheater's quick release and intelligence game plan design does a lot of this but....

Leading to the fact that RB, while getting 63% of the touches, is RARELY the focus of opposing defenses or opposing game plans. Early on, folks game planned to score on the Pats defense. Later, they game planned to stop Tommy Cheater. Rarely, if ever, did they gameplan to stop the run.

The Colts do not have a top defense, they don't have a stud QB (that might change but currently, and they don't have a demonstrated good game plan. That means that running back by committee will probably not work out much better than it has over the past couple of years for the Colts.

Also, our owner wants Barkley. He wants his next Edge. Big factor there.

I am with you, brother. I want a complete team with studs at QB, O-line, and on Defense before I want a stud RB.

However, if McDaniels' is our next HC, I see all the factors coming together at Barkley at #3 overall.

Walk Worthy,

YDFL Commish
01-12-2018, 02:13 PM

The Cheats have had the luxury of having a top defense for the majority of their run since 2006. This contributes to....

An effective offense centered around a stud QB. Yeah, I hate Tommy Cheater but he is a stud. This is fueled by....

An offensive line that, while not top five, has been solidly good for a long time. I think that Tommy Cheater's quick release and intelligence game plan design does a lot of this but....

Leading to the fact that RB, while getting 63% of the touches, is RARELY the focus of opposing defenses or opposing game plans. Early on, folks game planned to score on the Pats defense. Later, they game planned to stop Tommy Cheater. Rarely, if ever, did they gameplan to stop the run.

The Colts do not have a top defense, they don't have a stud QB (that might change but currently, and they don't have a demonstrated good game plan. That means that running back by committee will probably not work out much better than it has over the past couple of years for the Colts.

I am with you, brother. I want a complete team with studs at QB, O-line, and on Defense before I want a stud RB.

However, if McDaniels' is our next HC, I see all the factors coming together at Barkley at #3 overall.

Walk Worthy,

I was just pointing out that the Pats did it w/o the stud RB. Do I want the stud RB, you bet I do.

Barlkely IMO, can be something special. But if Colts brass believes that a guy like Michel is just a notch below and a better value, than I would rather go that route.

Really good evaluation of Michel here:https://www.pewterreport.com/cover-3-revitalizing-bucs-run-game-ugas-michel-sony-shake/

I really like the way he can make his cuts w/o gearing down.

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 02:14 PM

This was going to be my reply as well.

I think the "safe" conclusion is simply that the offense would need a lot of work to get the personnel the way that McDaniels would want it. He likes the quick-hitting passing game underneath and the current roster is not equipped for that style outside of Hilton.

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 02:15 PM
I was just pointing out that the Pats did it w/o the stud RB. Do I want the stud RB, you bet I do.

Barlkely IMO, can be something special. But if Colts brass believes that a guy like Michel is just a notch below and a better value, than I would rather go that route.

Really good evaluation of Michel here:https://www.pewterreport.com/cover-3-revitalizing-bucs-run-game-ugas-michel-sony-shake/

I really like the way he can make his cuts w/o gearing down.

I would much rather have Chubb+Michel than Barkley+best pass rusher available.

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 02:16 PM
I'd be okay with a Joey Bosa type at 3. The production scares me a bit with him, though, especially how hot and cold he can be.

Bosa is an absolute stud who had similar concerns based on his college tape. If Chubb is a similar player, the Colts should take him and not even consider trading down.

Racehorse
01-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Walk Worthy,
I think much of the angst about our line had to do with how inept the coaching staff/plans were. We could do the quick, short passes the Cheats do, but our plan is to run the WRs all the way down the field, giving opponents a chance to get to whichever QB was under center that game. Moronic! Also, I do not believe any of them ever gave Luck any idea of what he should do better (IOW, developing him) between games/seasons. I think McDaniels would do better at both and a RB like Barkley would make it easier on the line and on Luck. That said, I would love to see us nab a great pass-rusher, if there is actually one in the draft this year. From what I read, there really isn't one. :eek: Now, some of that is due to the difference between the college offenses and the NFL offenses, so there may be a guy who has the skill, but never got to use it in college, which means he may slip a round or two.

1965southpaw
01-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Walk Worthy,[/QUOTE]

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.......With all due respect Sherck, central to your analysis is the presumption that McDaniels is a slave to one mental model of how to design/run an offense. He very well may be.....I don't know. However, if Ballard is half the leader and assessor of talent that people like Polian purport him to be then I hope that a key criteria to his assessment is finding a leader that understands the long term key to winning is adaptability. It's no different than any other industry......you adapt or quickly become irrelevant. This, I think, was the central failing of Pagano (with all due respect to those that think coaching doesn't matter). He simply wouldn't (or I think couldn't) realize that stubborn enslavement to that "we just do what we do" mentality was a recipe for irrelevance as everyone else (including the AFC South) passes you by. I think the right question to be in for McDaniels is is he capable of flexible thinking?

VeveJones007
01-12-2018, 03:38 PM
“Interesting thing @SeniorBowlPhil just told me and @HorowitzJason on @ESPNUonSiriusXM: The Broncos staff requested that Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the Senior Bowl.“

If he makes a good enough impression, then maybe the Broncos will thin about trading up.

smitty46953
01-12-2018, 04:33 PM
I may be wrong but for some reason I get feeling Baker Mayfield might turn out to be Johnny Manziel part 2 ... :cool:

smitty46953
01-12-2018, 04:37 PM
I don't have a trade chart, but curious since Bills aren't sold on Tyrod Taylor as their QB if they might offer their two first round picks #21 and #22 for our #3 ? :cool:

rcubed
01-12-2018, 06:08 PM
“Interesting thing @SeniorBowlPhil just told me and @HorowitzJason on @ESPNUonSiriusXM: The Broncos staff requested that Baker Mayfield be placed on their team at the Senior Bowl.“

If he makes a good enough impression, then maybe the Broncos will thin about trading up.
I think they would wait and see if he is there at 5. They will assume that cle and ny will take rosen and darnold. We are not taking a QB and cle picks at 4 and wont take 2 QBs. They would just have to hope no one else trades into 3 or 4 but I dont see any of those other QBs worth trading high for, maybe I am wrong...

YDFL Commish
01-12-2018, 07:26 PM
I may be wrong but for some reason I get feeling Baker Mayfield might turn out to be Johnny Manziel part 2 ... :cool:

You are very much wrong.

FatDT
01-12-2018, 07:38 PM
If we got Chubb and Michel I wouldn't care much so else we draft. IMO Michel is this year's Kamara, but less overlooked.

GoBigBlue88
01-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Again, haven't watched Chubb, not familiar with the film, but one thing I do love is his attitude. Seems like a good kid who hasn't got in trouble at all, but is just a mean dude who loves being an asshole to other players and always playing with a chip on his shoulder. Colts need more of that.

Bet anything he starts a fight in training camp.

Coltsalr
01-12-2018, 08:48 PM
He followed that with:

Absolutely I take a guy at Joey Bosa’s level.

FatDT
01-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Absolutely I take a guy at Joey Bosa’s level.

Who wouldn't?

VeveJones007
01-13-2018, 12:41 AM
I don't have a trade chart, but curious since Bills aren't sold on Tyrod Taylor as their QB if they might offer their two first round picks #21 and #22 for our #3 ? :cool:

It’s short, according to the chart, by 520 points, which is the equivalent of pick #38. They would need to add a 2nd and a 3rd based on the chart.

Mr. Session
01-13-2018, 01:21 AM
Again, haven't watched Chubb, not familiar with the film, but one thing I do love is his attitude. Seems like a good kid who hasn't got in trouble at all, but is just a mean dude who loves being an asshole to other players and always playing with a chip on his shoulder. Colts need more of that.

Bet anything he starts a fight in training camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA6m6nX-Xvs

I wish we could embed here.

Dude is a dick.

Butter
01-13-2018, 01:33 AM
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.......With all due respect Sherck, central to your analysis is the presumption that McDaniels is a slave to one mental model of how to design/run an offense. He very well may be.....I don't know. However, if Ballard is half the leader and assessor of talent that people like Polian purport him to be then I hope that a key criteria to his assessment is finding a leader that understands the long term key to winning is adaptability. It's no different than any other industry......you adapt or quickly become irrelevant. This, I think, was the central failing of Pagano (with all due respect to those that think coaching doesn't matter). He simply wouldn't (or I think couldn't) realize that stubborn enslavement to that "we just do what we do" mentality was a recipe for irrelevance as everyone else (including the AFC South) passes you by. I think the right question to be in for McDaniels is is he capable of flexible thinking?

Now that there is a pretty damn good rebuttal post, supports their opinion and is respectful. We can all learn from this and I do included myself in this.

1965southpaw
01-13-2018, 01:49 AM
Now that there is a pretty damn good rebuttal post, supports their opinion and is respectful. We can all learn from this and I do included myself in this.

Why thank you, kind sir. :p

FatDT
01-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Shut up fag

Indiana V2
01-13-2018, 11:06 AM

Dude is a dick.

I'll take him, we can use some dicks, and he's a beast.

Pez
01-13-2018, 11:19 AM
...we can use some dicks....

Omaha says that nearly every Friday night.

omahacolt
01-13-2018, 11:24 AM

Dude is a dick.

i like that dude.

that shit is funny

omahacolt
01-13-2018, 11:24 AM
Omaha says that nearly every Friday night.

and saturday.

omahacolt
01-13-2018, 11:25 AM

nobody has time for that nonsense

HoosierinFL
01-13-2018, 11:33 AM
i like that dude.

that shit is funny

Yea he's just being a punk and pissing guys off, getting in their heads.

HoosierinFL
01-13-2018, 11:34 AM
So something like Chubb in round 1, UCF's Shaquem Griffin in round 3 or 4, and we've got a pass rush.

Spike
01-13-2018, 12:17 PM
I'll take him, we can use some dicks, and he's a beast.

Yep, he is a hell of a ballplayer. This team could use a few more guys like him. Like omaha said, that shit is funny.

smitty46953
01-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Why thank you, kind sir. :p

Get a room .... :cool:

GoBigBlue88
01-14-2018, 08:00 PM
These playoff games really cementing why it would be dumb to not come away with a top EDGE presence in this draft. Jaguars and Vikings pressure just wrecking these games, while Saints pressure got them potentially back in it.

Puck
01-14-2018, 08:11 PM
These playoff games really cementing why it would be dumb to not come away with a top EDGE presence in this draft. Jaguars and Vikings pressure just wrecking these games, while Saints pressure got them potentially back in it.

And anyone wanting Barkley especially now with the probablility that it will be McDaniels is going to be disappointed. Even the Oline is going to look much much better with that quick passing attach. Gonna need another receiver, and probably another TE. Otherwise I hope he loads up on D in FA

The offense will be better with just the subtraction of Chud and of course if Luck is back it is a playoff caliber offense. Need a D to get them deep into the playoffs now

VeveJones007
01-14-2018, 09:57 PM

Matt Miller posted a column a couple months ago, saying that his source told him Ballard would pick EDGE or DB in Rd 1 last year.

Since he went DB, have to think EDGE is his priority in year 2.

VeveJones007
01-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Matt Miller's latest mock draft today. Has the Colts going with Chubb at 1.03. Here's the write-up:

The Pick: DE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

Bradley Chubb is special. At 6'4 ½", 275 pounds, he plays with a ridiculous amount of energy, agility and burst. As far as pure pass-rushers go, he's not quite on the level of former No. 1 picks Jadeveon Clowney or Myles Garrett, but he's right behind them. The Indianapolis Colts should be all about that.

The Colts don't have a head coach yet so we can't speculate about how Chubb would fit into a scheme, but you can be comfortable in knowing he fits in every scheme. Whether it's as a 4-3 defensive end or a 3-4 defensive end (think Joey Bosa), he's a fit.

Chubb's talent and potential are special enough that he should be the first defensive player off the board.

DrSpaceman
01-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Matt Miller's latest mock draft today. Has the Colts going with Chubb at 1.03. Here's the write-up:

Based on this write up, he has to be the pick.

Best chance to get a difference maker, a true impact player, for the D, which is badly needed

Though I think Hooker once he is back and healthy in the secondary will be that type of player as well.

1965southpaw
01-18-2018, 10:38 AM
With the third pick the colts select........Bradley Chubb. This is per Mel Kiper. He just released his first mock draft and is discussing it on ESPN right now. He clarifies that his mock is what he thinks teams WILL do not SHOULD do but with Chubb he could not be more enthusiastic both in regard to his skill at his position but also with his work ethic. He says he will NEVER take a play off.

VeveJones007
01-18-2018, 11:07 AM
With the third pick the colts select........Bradley Chubb. This is per Mel Kiper. He just released his first mock draft and is discussing it on ESPN right now. He clarifies that his mock is what he thinks teams WILL do not SHOULD do but with Chubb he could not be more enthusiastic both in regard to his skill at his position but also with his work ethic. He says he will NEVER take a play off.

Everything I hear about Chubb makes it more of a no-brainer. He seems like exactly what the Colts need and the type of player that Ballard loves.

I hope that also involves a heavy investment in the OL in free agency, as well as a decent MLB.

rcubed
01-18-2018, 12:47 PM
yeah, chubb seems like the best pick here. good that a player and need actually line up

Oldcolt
01-18-2018, 12:54 PM
I remember Polian saying your never pass on a franchise qb or an elite pass rusher. The two most difficult things to find in football. If Chubb has a chance to be an elite pass rusher take him. Don't fool around with trading back unless you are absolutely sure you'll get who you want. No to Nelson, good guards appear to be available in free agency but guys that can put pressure on qbs never do (unless they have beaten the shit out of the women in their lives). I agree that there are tons of holes on this team. But you can only get elite pass rushers thru the draft and it is something we are desperate for.

DrSpaceman
01-18-2018, 01:31 PM
I remember Polian saying your never pass on a franchise qb or an elite pass rusher. The two most difficult things to find in football. If Chubb has a chance to be an elite pass rusher take him. Don't fool around with trading back unless you are absolutely sure you'll get who you want. No to Nelson, good guards appear to be available in free agency but guys that can put pressure on qbs never do (unless they have beaten the shit out of the women in their lives). I agree that there are tons of holes on this team. But you can only get elite pass rushers thru the draft and it is something we are desperate for.

There was an article a few years back, or probably more than a few by now, that pointed out that the key to the NFL is passing the ball and defending the pass. If you look at passer rating differential, its a high predictor of success in this league

And this is not just in this era, it goes back many years, even to the rush heavy days of the 70s.

Its always been true to some extent and just has become more true in the last decade : passing the ball and stopping the pass. ANd you can't stop the pass without pass rushers.

I actually think the Colts secondary has a chance to be solid next year. Not great, but good. But without a pass rush, defenders can't cover guys forever in this league. They eventually get open.

Plus with the upgraded DL that I thought performed very well last year, adding a pass rusher will made it harder to defend against the D.

testcase448
01-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Unless we get some guards, and a tackle they're going to beat Luck like he's their wife in this division.
I agree though, gotta be Chubb. Just hope he doesn't end up like "can't miss" that misses lol

DrSpaceman
01-18-2018, 01:37 PM
This is not the article I was thinking of, but is strongly illustrates the same point :

https://thepowerrank.com/2014/01/10/which-nfl-teams-make-and-win-in-the-playoffs/

Edited to add :

This is actually the article I first recall reading about it. Its from 2011

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/06/23/most-importantstatpasserratingdifferential

DrSpaceman
01-18-2018, 01:44 PM
And this is from 2016, I believe, not last year, but illustrates the point of the lack of pressure and how it affects the Colts D.

I know some don't like Football outsiders rankings, but I point it out mainly to illustrate the Colts had the lowest pressure ranking in the league that year, only less than 20% of pass plays.

They secondary actually performed middle of the pack when compared to with and without pressure standings vs the rest of the league

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/defense-and-pass-pressure-2016

VeveJones007
01-18-2018, 02:44 PM
There was an article a few years back, or probably more than a few by now, that pointed out that the key to the NFL is passing the ball and defending the pass. If you look at passer rating differential, its a high predictor of success in this league

And this is not just in this era, it goes back many years, even to the rush heavy days of the 70s.

Its always been true to some extent and just has become more true in the last decade : passing the ball and stopping the pass. ANd you can't stop the pass without pass rushers.

I actually think the Colts secondary has a chance to be solid next year. Not great, but good. But without a pass rush, defenders can't cover guys forever in this league. They eventually get open.

Plus with the upgraded DL that I thought performed very well last year, adding a pass rusher will made it harder to defend against the D.

Agree on all this, but wanted to add that the current LBs blow chunks in coverage. They definitely need upgrades to help cover TEs and RBs.

DrSpaceman
01-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Agree on all this, but wanted to add that the current LBs blow chunks in coverage. They definitely need upgrades to help cover TEs and RBs.

Oh yeah they suck bad, have for years under pagano. Get killed over the middle on this every game.

Butter
01-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Unless we get some guards, and a tackle they're going to beat Luck like he's their wife in this division.
I agree though, gotta be Chubb. Just hope he doesn't end up like "can't miss" that misses lol

Hopefully, the change in scheme that emphasizes getting the ball out quicker will help as well.

Oldcolt
01-18-2018, 06:07 PM
According to what I read there should be good, even great, upgrades available at guard in free agency. Tackle is an issue but if we could upgrade ourselves at guard and only have one weak link in the offensive line(even if it is right tackle), then thru coaching/schemes and half-ass decent play calling you can manage that one weak link and still not get Luck killed. And as far as Luck's health, since nobody has the slightest idea I choose to believe he took a little longer to heal (it happens) and is going to be incredibly fun to watch him kick ass next year. I'm excited and once again really enjoying being a Colts fan. If it doesn't work out I'll deal with it then.

rcubed
01-18-2018, 06:21 PM
According to what I read there should be good, even great, upgrades available at guard in free agency. Tackle is an issue but if we could upgrade ourselves at guard and only have one weak link in the offensive line(even if it is right tackle), then thru coaching/schemes and half-ass decent play calling you can manage that one weak link and still not get Luck killed. And as far as Luck's health, since nobody has the slightest idea I choose to believe he took a little longer to heal (it happens) and is going to be incredibly fun to watch him kick ass next year. I'm excited and once again really enjoying being a Colts fan. If it doesn't work out I'll deal with it then.
agree. I think luck took the long approach when things didnt bounce back quickly and he realized the team was crap lead by a lame duck coach. if the first surgery fixed everything he would have played, as soon as there needed to be more he was done for the year.

Racehorse
01-18-2018, 06:29 PM
agree. I think luck took the long approach when things didnt bounce back quickly and he realized the team was crap lead by a lame duck coach. if the first surgery fixed everything he would have played, as soon as there needed to be more he was done for the year.

Based on his comments on video after Pagano was fired, it would not surprise me if he and Ballard decided to shut him down so that he wouldn't save Pagano's job...again.

Chromeburn
01-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Yup, thanks Chuck. Couldn't even lose right.

Colts And Orioles
01-19-2018, 06:45 PM
o

Mel Kiper: Bradley Chubb Might Be 'The Best Player in the Draft'

(By Mike Wells)

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22637/mel-kiper-could-make-the-argument-bradley-chubb-is-the-best-player-in-the-draft

o

Racehorse
01-19-2018, 06:49 PM
o

Mel Kiper: Bradley Chubb Might Be 'The Best Player in the Draft'

(By Mike Wells)

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/22637/mel-kiper-could-make-the-argument-bradley-chubb-is-the-best-player-in-the-draft

o
But, I thought Barkley was??

rcubed
01-19-2018, 06:51 PM
he said 'might be.' geez race, get with it.

Racehorse
01-19-2018, 07:01 PM
he said 'might be.' geez race, get with it.

LOL. I am just saying the mediots can't ever get their stories straight.

rcubed
01-19-2018, 07:09 PM
LOL. I am just saying the mediots can't ever get their stories straight.
eh, they are all just talking out of their asses.

I am always amazed kiper has made a career out of "assessing" the draft.

Racehorse
01-20-2018, 10:48 AM
http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/tracking-who-the-experts-currently-believe-the-colts-will-take-in-mock-drafts/13/

IN summary, most say it will be Chubb, then it is Barkley, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Oklahoma and Texas OTs. I would love to have Smith, but would hate to pass on Chubb.

YDFL Commish
01-20-2018, 12:10 PM
http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/tracking-who-the-experts-currently-believe-the-colts-will-take-in-mock-drafts/13/

IN summary, most say it will be Chubb, then it is Barkley, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Oklahoma and Texas OTs. I would love to have Smith, but would hate to pass on Chubb.

Fix the o-line in free agency. Draft BPA, which is either Chubb or Barkley.

sherck
01-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Fix the o-line in free agency. Draft BPA, which is either Chubb or Barkley.The problem is that you, most likely, cannot fix the line in free agency alone.

While we will probably be able to find 2x OG of starter quality in free agency, the only OT for sure better than Good or Haeg is Solder from NE with no guarantee he makes it to free agency...or that he would come here.

Most likely, we need to use a draft pick on OT to fix the line and a top one at that. The free agent OTs are just not there.

Walk Worthy,

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Racehorse
01-20-2018, 05:50 PM
The problem is that you, most likely, cannot fix the line in free agency alone.

While we will probably be able to find 2x OG of starter quality in free agency, the only OT for sure better than Good or Haeg is Solder from NE with no guarantee he makes it to free agency...or that he would come here.

Most likely, we need to use a draft pick on OT to fix the line and a top one at that. The free agent OTs are just not there.

Walk Worthy,

I agree that most quality starters will not make it to free agency. However, I disagree that our line is as bad as it looked this year. Improved schemes will make our line serviceable enough that we could just add one solid piece and be where we want it to be.

YDFL Commish
01-20-2018, 06:11 PM
I agree that most quality starters will not make it to free agency. However, I disagree that our line is as bad as it looked this year. Improved schemes will make our line serviceable enough that we could just add one solid piece and be where we want it to be.

Agreed and that 1 solid piece could be Solder or Andrew Norwell or Trai Turner. I don't see Carolina as being able to afford both.

VeveJones007
01-20-2018, 06:13 PM

I’d still like two guards in UFA, but I agree that scheme can help a ton.

Oldcolt
01-21-2018, 01:08 AM
One below average offensive tackle isn’t going to kill us or Luck. Good play calling scheming better and giving help with backs and tight end can cover one weak link. If you can’t put pressure on qb then we will keep getting our lunch handed to us at the end of games. Use the top pick on Chubb

1965southpaw
01-21-2018, 10:35 AM
One below average offensive tackle isn’t going to kill us or Luck. Good play calling scheming better and giving help with backs and tight end can cover one weak link. If you can’t put pressure on qb then we will keep getting our lunch handed to us at the end of games. Use the top pick on Chubb

Patriots have been consistently using Duane Allen as a 6th lineman to block for Brady. Wonder if McDaniels will use the same strategy in the short term with Luck.

smitty46953
01-21-2018, 12:54 PM
Still say trade back if can and get more picks. draft big ugly guys :cool:

VeveJones007
01-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Mort is reporting that Gettleman and Schermer like Eli, but will still evaluate QB class. If Giants aren’t going QB at 2, they could trade out or take someone the Colts may be interested in at 3.

Spike
01-21-2018, 02:06 PM
Mort is reporting that Gettleman and Schermer like Eli, but will still evaluate QB class. If Giants aren’t going QB at 2, they could trade out or take someone the Colts may be interested in at 3.

Giants would be stupid not to take a QB. Eli is toast and the Giants may never be in this good of a position to take one again.

VeveJones007
01-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Giants would be stupid not to take a QB. Eli is toast and the Giants may never be in this good of a position to take one again.

Agree, but it’s apparently in question.

1965southpaw
01-21-2018, 02:53 PM

I'm more worried about the Browns picking up someone like Kirk Cousins in free agency and taking someone we want.

omahacolt
01-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Agree, but it’s apparently in question.

it is probably just bs that happens every year before the draft. just games. unless they don't like any of the qb's, they would be retarded not to take one

sherck
01-21-2018, 03:23 PM
I'm more worried about the Browns picking up someone like Kirk Cousins in free agency and taking someone we want.Or being okay with 3 different QBs, taking Barkley or Chubb #1 and taking QB at #4.

Of course, that then makes trading down better for us but....

Walk Worthy,

FatDT
01-21-2018, 03:31 PM

It's not impossible to get Norwell, Pugh, and Solder in FA. No OT in this draft is going to outplay Haeg or Good for OT this season.

njcoltfan
01-21-2018, 04:18 PM
Or being okay with 3 different QBs, taking Barkley or Chubb #1 and taking QB at #4.

Of course, that then makes trading down better for us but....

Walk Worthy,

I suggested this weeks ago and was told by multiple Freaks that I was nuts, but I do agree with this senerio.

omahacolt
01-21-2018, 05:30 PM
I suggested this weeks ago and was told by multiple Freaks that I was nuts, but I do agree with this senerio.

It is stupid

njcoltfan
01-22-2018, 06:41 AM
It is stupid

Why, if they have 2 QB's rated close ?

sherck
01-22-2018, 08:00 AM

Please don't feed the trolls.

Omaha does not have a reason. He is just running on instinct.

Walk Worthy,

njcoltfan
01-22-2018, 11:34 AM

Walk Worthy,

Don’t feed him after midnight and don’t throw water on him !!

VeveJones007
01-22-2018, 12:10 PM

If they wait until 4, they’ll miss on both.

njcoltfan
01-22-2018, 01:04 PM
If they wait until 4, they’ll miss on both.

Only if the Colts draft one.

sherck
01-22-2018, 02:09 PM
Only if the Colts draft one.Naw.

If non-QB is taken at #1, then our #3 pick will be very valuable. Lots of trade value.

Walk Worthy,

njcoltfan
01-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Naw.

If non-QB is taken at #1, then our #3 pick will be very valuable. Lots of trade value.

Walk Worthy,

Right, that’s if there is a trade

falloutboy14
01-22-2018, 04:48 PM
I've been reading about Maurice Hurst from Michigan. He's drawing Aaron Donald comparisons. He's a top 15 pick who might be top 5 by draft time.

GoBigBlue88
01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
I keep seeing the opinion that Chubb doesn't have an elite skill. As in: he doesn't have elite strength or elite speed or an elite rip, etc.

I think everyone is overcomplicating it. Can he get to the QB consistently at the next level? Is he the best player with that ability in this class? Then you take him. I don't care how he gets to the QB, I just care that he applies edge pressure.

FatDT
01-22-2018, 05:06 PM
I keep seeing the opinion that Chubb doesn't have an elite skill. As in: he doesn't have elite strength or elite speed or an elite rip, etc.

I think everyone is overcomplicating it. Can he get to the QB consistently at the next level? Is he the best player with that ability in this class? Then you take him. I don't care how he gets to the QB, I just care that he applies edge pressure.

Jadaveon Clowney had elite everything (except production) as a prospect and hasn't come close to being the DPOY or winning the sack title. Being an elite freak athlete is overrated.

YDFL Commish
01-22-2018, 08:45 PM
Jadaveon Clowney had elite everything (except production) as a prospect and hasn't come close to being the DPOY or winning the sack title. Being an elite freak athlete is overrated.

While Terrell Suggs impressed nobody at anything he did in his workouts, and He will be in the HOF.

omahacolt
01-22-2018, 10:25 PM

Walk Worthy,

Please don’t feed the trolls?

Shrek the self righteous dildo has spoken. Nice zinger champ.

John Dorsey is running the browns. The dude is smart enough to realize the opportunity to finally correct the franchise by picking a qb. He not pick a fucking rb first and then just take whatever leftover qb is there. That is retarded

omahacolt
01-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Oh yeah

Fucking walk worthy

omahacolt
01-22-2018, 10:29 PM
While Terrell Suggs impressed nobody at anything he did in his workouts, and He will be in the HOF.

Suggs had like 20 something sacks in a year in college.

Racehorse
01-23-2018, 07:45 AM

Yes, and that is why I think Chubb and Smith will be great in the NFL. Both have game instincts that make them elite.

VeveJones007
01-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Yes, and that is why I think Chubb and Smith will be great in the NFL. Both have game instincts that make them elite.

Agree completely. For Chubb, it isn't about him not having an elite trait. It's his combination of athleticism, size, strength, and instincts that make him an elite prospect.

It's impossible for the Colts to get both, but I hope Ballard is able to find one or two LBs with Smith's traits. They need that kind of speed at LB.

FatDT
01-23-2018, 11:10 AM
Agree completely. For Chubb, it isn't about him not having an elite trait. It's his combination of athleticism, size, strength, and instincts that make him an elite prospect.

It's impossible for the Colts to get both, but I hope Ballard is able to find one or two LBs with Smith's traits. They need that kind of speed at LB.

ILBs always fall. Might be able to get Evans or Edmunds (I really like Edmunds) in the early 2nd. Not as fast as Smith but I bet they're both more durable in the NFL.

Chromeburn
01-23-2018, 09:00 PM
I've been reading about Maurice Hurst from Michigan. He's drawing Aaron Donald comparisons. He's a top 15 pick who might be top 5 by draft time.

It's funny, I have been starting to think of him as an option also. The guy is the most consistently disruptive DT out there. Applying pressure up the middle now is invaluable. Those guy are almost harder to find than good edge rushers. He was tearing it up in his bowl game. Check him out in the senior bowl.

1. Hurst
2. Sony Michel
3. Hernandez

Would be a pretty cool draft for me. And no way I'm drafting a guard in the top 15 picks, period. Overkill for a pick.

Chromeburn
01-23-2018, 09:03 PM
ILBs always fall. Might be able to get Evans or Edmunds (I really like Edmunds) in the early 2nd. Not as fast as Smith but I bet they're both more durable in the NFL.

Kid from Boise St is huge, fast, and a playmaker. I like him as a 2nd as well.

Butter
01-23-2018, 11:13 PM
Kid from Boise St is huge, fast, and a playmaker. I like him as a 2nd as well.

I know nothing about this kid, but a huge fast MLB sounds awesome. Just a moderately fast one who knows how to wrap up when tackling sounds great.

smitty46953
01-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Still want this guy somehow ... Watched most games this year and he is one nasty basterd :cool:

Quenton Nelson, 6'5" 330# OG, Notre Dame

Nelson lined up at left guard for the Irish this past season and that is where he projects at the next level. He has a thick, hulking build -- and he's the nastiest offensive line prospect I've ever evaluated. In the run game, he is quick out of his stance and has the ability to completely wash opposing players down the line of scrimmage. He rolls his hips on contact, locks on with a powerful grip and doesn't let up until he's finished the job. Nelson is very effective when he works up to the second level on combo blocks and pulls. He can adjust in space and he blocks through the whistle consistently. In pass protection, Nelson possesses an immediate anchor vs. power rushers and effortlessly handles twists and stunts. Overall, Nelson has all of the tools to be the best run blocker in the NFL and he'll be reliable in pass protection. He's the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class.

HoosierinFL
01-24-2018, 11:33 AM
I know nothing about this kid, but a huge fast MLB sounds awesome. Just a moderately fast one who knows how to wrap up when tackling sounds great.

maybe but isn't this kid still a bit of a question mark? He had one great year.

I'm still gonna beat the Shaquem Griffin drum when thinking of LBs. He's another one to watch in the Senior Bowl

YDFL Commish
01-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Still want this guy somehow ... Watched most games this year and he is one nasty basterd :cool:

Quenton Nelson, 6'5" 330# OG, Notre Dame

Nelson lined up at left guard for the Irish this past season and that is where he projects at the next level. He has a thick, hulking build -- and he's the nastiest offensive line prospect I've ever evaluated. In the run game, he is quick out of his stance and has the ability to completely wash opposing players down the line of scrimmage. He rolls his hips on contact, locks on with a powerful grip and doesn't let up until he's finished the job. Nelson is very effective when he works up to the second level on combo blocks and pulls. He can adjust in space and he blocks through the whistle consistently. In pass protection, Nelson possesses an immediate anchor vs. power rushers and effortlessly handles twists and stunts. Overall, Nelson has all of the tools to be the best run blocker in the NFL and he'll be reliable in pass protection. He's the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class.

Who's evaluation is that?

Butter
01-24-2018, 11:38 AM

I'm still gonna beat the Shaquem Griffin drum when thinking of LBs. He's another one to watch in the Senior Bowl

He is a complete question mark to me, I just like the big and fast thing. History has of course shown athletic freaks don't always transition well to the NFL where athleticism alone is not enough.

YDFL Commish
01-24-2018, 12:20 PM
He is a complete question mark to me, I just like the big and fast thing. History has of course shown athletic freaks don't always transition well to the NFL where athleticism alone is not enough.

Griffen was a one man wrecking crew vs Auburn. He either has great instincts, or was guessing right almost every play, because he was usually on the ball in a heartbeat.

If we go to a 4-3, I would take a chance on him in the 4th to 5th round as WILL.

rcubed
01-24-2018, 12:54 PM
is that the one handed dude?

Chromeburn
01-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Mac prospects don't really get press till close to draft time. I want to see how he does at the combine first, but supposedly he is 6'4 and will run around a 4.65 40. He might not be a sideline to sideline LB, but he has good instincts and is pretty good in coverage. He, right now, is a likely late first to late second prospect. I saw some having him as a middle rounds at best, but I don't think they have watched any tape or saw him in action. He will have some growing and adjusting to do, but the potential is there. If he has a good combine, I expect him to rise to middle first at best bc that combo of size speed is rare. If he does well he will also start getting buzz with mainstream media. The reason I picked him out is he reminds me of a Bobby Wagner play style with better height, and with all the ex Seahawks staff we have in the front office I bet they have noticed him too.

He's a junior, most players don't really start and produce consistently till junior year. Plus he played 8 man football in high school. The schools aren't big enough out in those Montana Idaho boondock towns. For linebackers that wouldn't worry me as much than for say a WR or QB. For linebackers you either have it or not; hit, shed, run, tackle, one of the easier positions to evaluate. This seems to be a pretty good draft for linebackers.

smitty46953
01-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Who's evaluation is that?

I don't recall where I found it, however I watched most ND games personally and would say it is very accurate ... :cool:

YDFL Commish
01-24-2018, 02:04 PM
is that the one handed dude?

Yes, that's him.

HoosierinFL
01-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Griffen was a one man wrecking crew vs Auburn. He either has great instincts, or was guessing right almost every play, because he was usually on the ball in a heartbeat.

If we go to a 4-3, I would take a chance on him in the 4th to 5th round as WILL.

I watched UCF all season (it's where I work) and while he stepped it up in the bowl game (just like you'd expect a senior to do), he's played like that all year. He's in on virtually every play, either disrupting things in the backfield, or making/assisting the tackle downfield.