PDA

View Full Version : The Cleveland Guardians

Colts And Orioles
07-23-2021, 11:55 AM
o

Cleveland Indians Choose Guardians as New Team Name

(By Paul Hoynes)

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2021/07/cleveland-indians-choose-guardians-as-new-team-name.html

https://content.sportslogos.net/news/2021/07/cleveland-guardians-logos-new-indians-2022-mlb-baseball-logos-uniforms-sportslogosnet-750x944.png

o

rcubed
07-28-2021, 03:21 PM
what are they guarding?

JAFF
07-28-2021, 04:55 PM
what are they guarding?

Lake Erie

Spike
07-29-2021, 12:09 PM
That sucks. Who was offended by the name Indians?

Don't let the snowflakes determine what is and isn't offensive, damn.

Chiefs, Braves, Blackhawks are probably next on the chopping block.

rcubed
07-29-2021, 01:51 PM
Lake Erie
eww.

rcubed
07-29-2021, 01:54 PM

Yeah, redskins was derogatory, but I dont get the others you listed. I see it more as honoring those tribes/peoples but cancel culture is in full force so...

AlwaysSunnyinIndy
07-29-2021, 07:38 PM
what are they guarding?

Traffic, apparently.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/07/23/cleveland-guardians-name-change-decision-explained

So how did Cleveland land on Guardians as its new team name? The new mascot pays homage to the Guardians of Traffic statues near Progressive Field in Cleveland, located on the Hope Memorial Bridge.

The Guardians of Traffic statues have flanked both sides of the Hope Memorial Bridge since 1932. Each of the four-winged Art Deco figures sports winged helmets and crowns, and each statue holds a different vehicle to signify "the spirit of progress in transportation," per bridge engineer Wilbur Watson. Each guardian stands 43 feet tall, and they remain the only public Art Deco monuments in Cleveland.

Cleveland baseball franchises have gone through a number of name changes in their past, although most of the other name changes occurred in their early history.

Guardians was just one of many names considered by Cleveland. There was a significant push for the Cleveland Spiders, which was the Cleveland baseball team's name in the 1890s. Cleveland teams previously went by the Blues, Bronchos and Naps before becoming the Indians in 1915.

JAFF
07-29-2021, 09:20 PM

The Blackhawks never used a cartoon character as a team symbol. Maybe you might be offended by a team named reneck dumbmotherffukkers?

JAFF
07-29-2021, 09:21 PM
It wuld be a great nami if their logo had Groot in a baseball uniform.

Spike
07-29-2021, 11:35 PM
The Blackhawks never used a cartoon character as a team symbol. Maybe you might be offended by a team named reneck dumbmotherffukkers?

Nah, I don't get offended by names or symbols on a hat like snowflakes do.

Racehorse
07-30-2021, 12:46 PM
what are they guarding?

the galaxy

omahacolt
07-30-2021, 06:17 PM

was there a call for the name to be changed? i haven't heard anything about it.

Spike
07-30-2021, 08:38 PM

Yeah, there were protesters who wanted the name and logo changed. Hell, all of the high school teams in my area changed their names having anything to do with the great American Indians of this nation because of a handful of snowflakes. We're seeing the pussification of America right now. Really saddens me to say that.

omahacolt
07-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Yeah, there were protesters who wanted the name and logo changed. Hell, all of the high school teams in my area changed their names having anything to do with the great American Indians of this nation because of a handful of snowflakes. We're seeing the pussification of America right now. Really saddens me to say that.

i guess i dont pay attention. i understood the redskins issue but havent heard of people complaining about other teams.

its not my team so i don't give a shit what they call themselves.

JAFF
07-31-2021, 10:04 PM

The Indianapolis Star will not use the name Indians when they print stories on the local minor league team.

omahacolt
08-01-2021, 11:17 AM
The Indianapolis Star will not use the name Indians when they print stories on the local minor league team.

oh really? hahah thats funny

Racehorse
08-01-2021, 04:47 PM
oh really? hahah thats funny

They will probably change the name to Guardianapolis Star, lol

omahacolt
08-03-2021, 06:04 PM
They will probably change the name to Guardianapolis Star, lol

has a nice ring to it

Colts And Orioles
10-26-2021, 04:44 PM

o

We had a very strange occurrence in regard to a local high school in my area, and their name change.

Mahopac High School was the Indians. In 2001, they changed their name to the Cavaliers ...... but since then, they actually changed it back to the Indians !!!

o

Colts And Orioles
10-27-2021, 04:17 PM
o

Cleveland Indians Choose Guardians as New Team Name

(By Paul Hoynes)

https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/2021/07/cleveland-indians-choose-guardians-as-new-team-name.html

o
o

Resistance from an unexpected place ......

Cleveland Guardians Roller Derby Team Sues Baseball Club over Name Change

(By John Caniglia)

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians/2021/10/cleveland-guardians-roller-derby-team-sues-baseball-club-over-name-change.html

o