View Single Post
  #1  
Old 09-21-2026, 02:28 PM
Kray007 Kray007 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 957
Thanks: 56
Thanked 939 Times in 396 Posts
Default I know that Steichen is taking a lot of flak…

About running the ball on 1st down in the red zone, but.

I know that I’ve been accused, with some justification, of being an apologist for this coaching staff. Fair enough.

Without question, running the ball in that situation was the ultimate exercise in stupidity. The Chiefs had loaded the box with 10 players. A running play, barring an act of God, was never going to work.

But, after the review, Jones and the Offense lined up with a full 40 seconds left on the play clock. Plenty of time, no need to rush. In that situation, Jones has got to take a moment to look up, survey the defense, and audible out of the call.

At the very least, use a time out and give Steichen a chance to shuffle through the playbook in search of plan B.
Reply With Quote