ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Jim Irsay on why he spoke out against Daniel Snyder: “The shield is taking some damag

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...g-some-damage/

Jim Irsay became the one to say on Tuesday what many have been thinking.

Daniel Snyder needs to go.

I’ll pause right there to pose a very simple question. Does anyone disagree with me on this? At a time when there are two sides to every single question imaginable, including but not limited to the geometric shape of the planet, is there a pro-Snyder cabal out there of which I’m not aware? Other than Snyder, his family, and his paid representatives, does anyone think he should continue to enjoy the privilege of holding the pink slip to the Washington Commanders franchise?

As a practical matter, owners become owners by having the most cash to offer when a team is for sale. The litmus test should extend beyond paper money, however. Is the potential buyer a good person, a desirable partner, a respectable steward of the game? Wherever those lines may be, Snyder seems to be (in my opinion) on the wrong side of each of them. Again, if someone believes otherwise, speak now or forever hold your piece.

Irsay spoke loudly on Tuesday, telling reporters that the time has come for Snyder to go. After his public diatribe, Irsay shared some details with Albert Breer of SI.com regarding the impetus for Irsay’s comments.

“Knowing Wellington [Mara] and Dan Rooney and Lamar [Hunt] and the owners through the years, I know what we’re about as owners,” Irsay told Breer. “Even in the last day, I had a chance to talk to [former 49ers owner] Eddie DeBartolo [Jr.] and [former Commissioner] Paul Tagliabue and just kind of reminisce about the context of decades that have passed and things that have happened. All those things give you certain direction and vision.”

DeBartolo isn’t necessarily an ideal example of responsible ownership. He was forced out more than 20 years ago after some unsavory involvement in the corrupt dissemination of gambling licenses in Louisiana.

“I don’t like the fact that sometimes the way owners are viewed, people think we can do whatever we want, with all the sorts of issues that are out there,” Irsay said. “Because that’s not true. This is not what we stand for, this sort of thing. I mean, it’s absolutely not. So the league’s very important to me. I’ve been taught by founders of the league and, like I said, Lamar and Wellington and Dan Rooney that you do what’s best for the Colts but what’s best for the league, too.

“You have to protect the shield to protect the league, and I don’t like to see the shield damaged. And right now, the shield is taking some damage from all this.”

Indeed it is. While I’ll respectfully disagree with Irsay’s contention that the other 31 owners have squeaky-clean hands (for more, see Playmakers), none has done as much damage to the shield as Snyder has done, in my opinion.

And while other owners have from time to time done things that resulted in discipline, or that didn’t but should have, the toxic workplace in Washington compelled Irsay to speak out.

“Just having three daughters and seven granddaughters, I can relate to that sort of thing,” Irsay told Breer. “My seven granddaughters, as they venture off in different forms of working for organizations. I know the culture that we have in Indianapolis. I know the special culture that we have and the family atmosphere that we have developed there. That’s important to me, and I believe it’s important to many owners in this league, because that’s what we’re about.”

Yes, it’s gotten better in Washington. In part because it apparently couldn’t have gotten much worse, and in part because if it didn’t improve Snyder would already be long gone. The question becomes whether full and proper accountability has occurred for the things that have happened.

In July 2021, the league protected Snyder. It happened not because he’s popular among his peers (he’s not), but because: (1) the league didn’t want a precedent that could be applied to other owners; (2) the league doesn’t want to fight with Snyder; and/or (3) the league fears that, eventually, questions will be asked about what the league office knew about the situation in Washington, when it knew it, and what it did or failed to do to put an end to it.

Even though Snyder got a pass in the aftermath of the Beth Wilkinson investigation, he may not be getting a break as a result of the Mary Jo White follow-up. Whatever the final tally of votes, Irsay has made it clear where he stands. At the appropriate time, the other owners will have an opportunity to do the same.

It will be interesting to see how many choose to protect Snyder at a time when no one seems to be saying that he deserves any further protection.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Brylok (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 05:47 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

I would guess the other owners who have the most power have asked Jim to speak out and run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes the flag.
Brylok (10-19-2022), Colts And Orioles (10-19-2022), omahacolt (10-20-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 06:41 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I would guess the other owners who have the most power have asked Jim to speak out and run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes the flag.
I dont know. My wag, Jim grew up with a bully for a dad. Snyder is the worst kind. I think Irsay just decided to do the right thing, it was time to push the owner in the correct direction
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (10-20-2022), Brylok (10-19-2022), TheMugwump (10-19-2022)
Old 10-19-2022, 08:35 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
I dont know. My wag, Jim grew up with a bully for a dad...
Your wag? Wives and girlfriends? Wat?
Old 10-19-2022, 08:48 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
Your wag? Wives and girlfriends? Wat?
Sorry, Wild Ass Guess = wag. Science/math geek phrase.
Old 10-20-2022, 06:18 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
thats retarded

stop it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-20-2022), Racehorse (10-20-2022), YDFL Commish (10-20-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 07:56 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
thats retarded

stop it
Quit whining. Sometimes you make decisions based on what you know from experience. It a guess, something you feel to be true, without absolute proof. Also used in raising children.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:11 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Fair enough.
JAFF (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 12:03 PM
Post whore

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...is-litigation/

This has more guess work, but the author has a better resume than myself

Jim Irsay has reached an important point in his tenure as an NFL owner. He no longer cares about how his words are received by others.

That attitude publicly manifested itself on Tuesday, with Irsay’s stunning tirade against Commanders owner Daniel Snyder. Privately, Irsay spoke his mind about a different issue.

by TaboolaPromoted Links
Bombas
Go Full Fall In These New Bombas
Jeff Pash preempted ownership discussion of Daniel Snyder - ProFootballTalk
Faherty Brand
Our Fall Collection Is Finally Here
Kyle Shanahan: Up in the air whether Christian McCaffrey plays Sunday - ProFootballTalk

Ad
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Irsay delivered pointed comments behind closed doors regarding the handling of the St. Louis relocation litigation. From complaining (accurately) about poorly-drafted documents that gave Rams owner Stan Kroenke a stronger argument to foist responsibility for the settlement onto his partners to questioning the legal strategy regarding the handling of a case that resulted in a payment of nearly $800 million, Irsay once again said what plenty of others have been thinking.

Irsay’s ire could be increased based on the information contained in a new report from Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal. Per Fischer, the details of the deal that results in Kroenke supposedly shouldering the majority of the settlement include the ability to recover roughly $283 million by retaining ticket revenue that ordinarily would be shared with the league. The arrangement lasts for 30 years, which makes the present value of that amount FAR less than $283 million.

But to the extent that someone with the Rams felt compelled to crow about a caveat that reduces Kreonke’s out-of-pocket expense, pointing out that specific detail does nothing to bolster the effort to persuade interested parties that Kroenke finagled a far better outcome than previously disclosed.

It’s unclear whether Irsay knew about this wrinkle. If he didn’t, maybe he’ll have something to say about it.K
Old 10-22-2022, 12:40 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,661 Times in 2,046 Posts

I think Irsay did it with the backing of other owners. Also he is an open book and not much Snyder could reveal about him if he stays the face of this situation.

Everyone is sick of Snyder. The fans hate him, the org is poorly run with this paranoid jerkoff at the top. The owners think the Commanders should be a top five revenue generating team instead of a bottom five with this inept leadership and they are right. Wonder how far this will go. What if they just cut the team off from playing other teams?