ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
Ballard gets judged on if a player works out or not. That’s just how it goes. Regardless of if ballard had anything to do about it
In the court of public opinion, that’s absolutely true. However, if we are trying to fairly evaluate his real-world performance, it’s irrelevant unless it can be tied to something Ballard knew or should have known at the time Campbell was drafted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Should have drafted Metcalf, he was there for the taking. As I write that he catches a TD pass and shrugs off Gilmore’s tackle like he’s a scrub.
And to address Chromeburn’s comment, yes, in retrospect of course it would have been nice to draft Metcalf instead. At the time, I believe Metcalf was considered pretty raw and potentially too muscle-bound to be as flexible as a WR needs to be, but obviously that appears to be wrong. That one is on Ballard and every other GM who didn’t pick him I guess. I will say that when healthy, Campbell has been every bit the explosive receiver that was projected when he was drafted, so it’s not like we took a talentless player instead. Just a different type of receiver, and one who unfortunately appears to be more injury prone than advertised.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:43 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I mostly agree. The most impressive thing I saw from him was the additional 2-3 yards after contact. He almost always drove and fell forward instead of being stood up up knocked back. However, from the TV angle it looked like he definitely left some yards on the field as well. It’s way too early to worry about his vision, but what I saw yesterday wasn’t significantly better than Wilkins.
The majority of his fumbles came on second effort I believe. He will have to be extra wary when going for those yards after contact.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:07 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I mostly agree. The most impressive thing I saw from him was the additional 2-3 yards after contact. He almost always drove and fell forward instead of being stood up up knocked back. However, from the TV angle it looked like he definitely left some yards on the field as well. It’s way too early to worry about his vision, but what I saw yesterday wasn’t significantly better than Wilkins.
Completely agree on the yards left on the field. He seemed to run towards the defenders instead of open space.

He’s a punishing runner though. He’s big and he packs a punch.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
The majority of his fumbles came on second effort I believe. He will have to be extra wary when going for those yards after contact.
In watching Taylor run, I believe that Rathman has already fixed the fumbling problems. You can see that Taylor wraps up the ball with 2 hands when he senses contact.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

I’d also like to point out that Blackmon looks to be the starting safety going forward. That leaves us with a rookie coming off an ACL tear and a second year guy on the back end. That, combined with our mediocre cornerback depth, leaves me a bit concerned.

I don’t agree that losing Hooker is a plus. It most certainly is not. That’s dumb. He may not be what we thought he was gonna be, but he’s an experienced starter. Losing him hurts.

Blackmon had better be ready. He’s gonna get tested. A lot.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:46 PM

Thanked 1,115 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
I doubt Covid played a role since there were like 23 people there. The roof should be shut and sealed
FLEX-GLUE®-BY-FLEX-SEAL®-PRODUCTS.jpg
Old 09-21-2020, 08:06 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Why not, here's another dopey Kravitz imitation

Passing offense: B
No major complaints outside the TY drop (and I mean really, TY?), but it wasn't a dominating passing performance, just good enough. (and that INT where Alie-Cox should have fought a little harder for the ball, but he made it up for it later)

Rushing offense: B+
Did what we should have, but I was surprised to see fewer snaps for Hines after he did a lot last week. I noticed less success running outside than is typical for us, whether that is because it isn't Taylor's strength (in comparison to Mack who could really break those outside runs) or whether Taylor isn't reading those blocks as well, or whether its a strength of the Vikings defense. I'm leaning to the latter, since we could run right up the middle on them pretty well.

Passing defense: A-
Coverage was much improved, I'd still like to see more consistent pressure on the QB. But I'll take that stat line any day: 11/26, 113 yards, 4.3 YPA, 3 sacks, 3 INTs, 0 TDs.

Rushing defense: B
Good but still a lot of inconsistency on this d-line. 4.4 yards per attempt isn't great.

Special teams: A
That's 2 weeks that special teams gets the highest grade, though its not such a big deal this week. But perfect on kicks, good coverage, good enough returns.

Coaching: B-
I'm going to continue to put penalties on the coaches, at least for the most part. It was a better called game compared to the prev week, but still not perfect. Pass/run balance was good but then its easy to do that when you're leading and the run is working well. I'll hold judgment for when its a tougher opponent. I still get the sense that Reich tries to get cute at the complete wrong time.

Overall B
A win's a win, but the Vikings look like shit, so we'll see. Still a lot of projections had us 1-1 at this point, just different in terms of who we beat and who beat us. I'd rather have the edge in the division though.

I'll be curious to see how Tennessee looks vs Vikings next week. We get another bad team next week, do we play down to them or crush them? That will inform my reaction both to this team's potential as well as the coaches.

will Houston start 0-3? They've got an easier schedule down the road but that's tough to overcome, not sure they can handle the "first place schedule".
Wtf would the pass defense need to do to get an A or A+ from you? The opposing QB completed less than 50% of his passes, had less than 5 YPA, barely over 100 yards, threw 3 picks, and was sacked 3 times including a safety. If the Colts do that to every opposing QB the rest of the year, they will go 15-1 and win the Super Bowl. I doubt they will, but it shows how good the defensive performance was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Pez (09-22-2020), Racehorse (09-24-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 09:33 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
I’d also like to point out that Blackmon looks to be the starting safety going forward. That leaves us with a rookie coming off an ACL tear and a second year guy on the back end. That, combined with our mediocre cornerback depth, leaves me a bit concerned.

I don’t agree that losing Hooker is a plus. It most certainly is not. That’s dumb. He may not be what we thought he was gonna be, but he’s an experienced starter. Losing him hurts.

Blackmon had better be ready. He’s gonna get tested. A lot.
Hooker wasn’t a good football player. Losing him doesn’t matter
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
apballin (09-21-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:46 AM

But Hooker certainly isn't a bad player either!

Feel sorry for the guy, he is screwed in terms of his options come next season and getting a decent contract. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Ballard resigned him to a mid level contract for 3 years, but also if we just let him walk and let him see what he might get in free agency.

By all accounts he was having a great training camp, so maybe Ballard was impressed by his attitude towards not getting the 5th year on his rookie contract and gives him a reasonable contract offer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (09-22-2020), TheMugwump (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 04:51 AM

Whilst discussing the safety position, when looking at the snap numbers, i was a little surprised to see how few snaps Wilson took. Once Hooker went down i thought he would have got more snaps than Blackmon as it was Blackmon's first game.

We actually had a nice set of safeties with Hooker, Willis, Blackmon, Odom and Wilson. Still don't mind the remaining 4, Willis looks to be a stud, Blackmon had a great first game, Wilson has a lot of quality starting experience and Odom has performed admirably when called upon.