ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-31-2023, 05:06 PM

Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Reggie is usually my fallback example, but I’m sure he knows that. Everyone was declaring him a bust after year two I think.
I am not in that camp. Reggie's growth was somewhat stunted by the 2002 signing of Qadry Ismail. Reggie was clearly outplaying Ismail but was not getting the playing time. Also I believe he suffered a foot injury in his rookie season that somewhat kept him back.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:17 PM

Thanked 1,325 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I am not in that camp. Reggie's growth was somewhat stunted by the 2002 signing of Qadry Ismail. Reggie was clearly outplaying Ismail but was not getting the playing time. Also I believe he suffered a foot injury in his rookie season that somewhat kept him back.
Yeah, Reggie had some injuries his rookie year. Think he got a high ankle sprain in training camp and then something else later in the year. And as you pointed out he was sharing reps w/ Ismail his 2nd year (although he had a pretty good year stats-wise). I would consider his '03 season his "breakout" year even though he didn't get to 1,000 yards until '04. But the league was nowhere near as pass happy back then.

I'm probably being too harsh on Pierce. Just saw in the preseason games that he wasn't getting any separation and has had some bad drops, which makes me think he hasn't improved since last year. But it's a small sample size, so hopefully he shows improvement when the games start to count.
Old 09-01-2023, 12:09 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Well, that's true in that there are more Randy Moss-esque cases of a rookie coming in playing well right away. But there are still plenty of WR's that require time before they flourish.

Davante Adams is a more recent, post-2011 boom example:

446yds, 3tds
483yds, 1td
997yds, 12td
885yds, 10td

Slow first two years, broke out in year-3, still didn't crack 1000yds til year-5 when he became a consistent 1300-1500yd guy. Doesn't mean Pierce will become that good, just means we might not know for the first few years.
yeah i understand that some guys will still take a bit. just saying that it isn't the norm as it was back in the day. i mean most players get better after a few years in the league if they are worth being in the league