ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brylok View Post
That looks like the plan. Establish a base of defensive guys that are solid but not great, and draft the future greats. Just don't screw up the draft!
Yep, but you can never afford to screw up the draft, regardless of your free agent strategy.

At the same time, they are going to have plenty of cap space next year that I hope they add one or two real difference-makers, but I've already elaborated on that throughout these threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Brylok (04-08-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Yep, but you can never afford to screw up the draft, regardless of your free agent strategy.

At the same time, they are going to have plenty of cap space next year that I hope they add one or two real difference-makers, but I've already elaborated on that throughout these threads.
Take a look at KC's cap situation. On top of that they have to add 10 draft picks somehow. I bet there is either some cuts going to happen or they will be trading this yrs picks for next yrs etc...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

maybe some players Ballard has an idea that will be casualties in the coming weeks IDK
Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Thanked 4,291 Times in 1,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Absolutely, as the roster currently stands. The true difference will be from the draft (hopefully).
that is pretty sad

considering we had 50 million to spend, play in a very winnable division, and need talent everywhere.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
That looks like the plan. Establish a base of defensive guys that are solid but not great, and draft the future greats. Just don't screw up the draft!
great plan

and in 3 years we will be calling for him to be fired for being terrible in free agency
Old 04-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Great strategy to me signed up and coming guys that played on good defenses and couldn't get on the field right away because they played behind good players. IMO Sheard and Simon's game is trending up and neither is too beat up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Brylok (04-08-2017), sherck (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 04:25 PM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
great plan

and in 3 years we will be calling for him to be fired for being terrible in free agency
In three years? Sure, maybe. But you can say that about any GM in the league, let alone a rookie new-hire. I like what Ballard has done so far, and I'm at least willing to give him a chance. You post as if he's already a failure.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:28 PM
"Still at Work"

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Great strategy to me signed up and coming guys that played on good defenses and couldn't get on the field right away because they played behind good players. IMO Sheard and Simon's game is trending up and neither is too beat up
I would have liked to bring in some proven playmakers, but maybe we already did and don't realize it yet. Aiken, Simon and perhaps Sheard could be very good for us.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
In three years? Sure, maybe. But you can say that about any GM in the league, let alone a rookie new-hire. I like what Ballard has done so far, and I'm at least willing to give him a chance. You post as if he's already a failure.
i don't know what he is yet. but i am not thrilled so far.

but with a lot of money to spend, eventually you have to use it on talent and not backups. or you won't have talent.

building through the draft is a great strategy but at best you are going to hit on 50 to 60 percent of the players. and not all of those will be stars. if you have the cash, you use it to bring in talent. if he is unwilling to do that, then he will have a very hard time being successful.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:06 PM
"Still at Work"

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahacolt View Post
i don't know what he is yet. but i am not thrilled so far.

but with a lot of money to spend, eventually you have to use it on talent and not backups. or you won't have talent.

building through the draft is a great strategy but at best you are going to hit on 50 to 60 percent of the players. and not all of those will be stars. if you have the cash, you use it to bring in talent. if he is unwilling to do that, then he will have a very hard time being successful.
I agree with all of that, but I just don't think the Colts were in the position to go after the expensive talent. Outside of a handful of players, that defense is/was a shambles. And it wasn't getting any younger either. I think they need to build a foundation first and then add better talent later. It looks like Ballard is trying to do that. I'm expecting it to take at least two years. I agree with your post, but the timing is wrong.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with all of that, but I just don't think the Colts were in the position to go after the expensive talent. Outside of a handful of players, that defense is/was a shambles. And it wasn't getting any younger either. I think they need to build a foundation first and then add better talent later. It looks like Ballard is trying to do that. I'm expecting it to take at least two years. I agree with your post, but the timing is wrong.
But who are the foundational players? Are those guys coming in the draft?