ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-17-2021, 10:56 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
I hope you are right about this, but do we have any evidence of that yet? Again, the pandemic could have put a damper on a lot of stupid behavior.
You believe we have seen a decrease in stupid behavior in the USA over the last year?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Butter (01-19-2021), Chromeburn (01-17-2021), IndyNorm (01-19-2021), JAFF (01-17-2021), Racehorse (01-17-2021), smitty46953 (01-17-2021), TheMugwump (01-20-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:03 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
30 million lottery tickets are purchased, none by me, cuz I don't like the odds. But hoping that Eason turns into a quality starter? I'd buy a ticket for that dream.
Every draft pick is a crap shoot. Eason has qualities that cant be taught. But he wasnt close to a finished product. Thats why he got drafted low in the draft. I am hoping the reason they didnt wait and get him as an UDFA, is that he has a good football IQ and has shown he coachable.

You dont by a ticket, you cant win. The Colts will need to find a guy like Brady, who had the tools and the brains and the work effort to succeed. And you have the right staff and coach the hell out of them
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:06 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
You believe we have seen a decrease in stupid behavior in the USA over the last year?
5 years there has seen a steady increase in dumbassery and its not just one group. Its been a nation effort.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I didn’t call Trey Lance slow. Mac Jones isn’t a good athlete. Eason isnt either but he probably had the strongest arm in last years draft.

A good player forces you to play him. We need a QB. It isn’t politics. It’s not draft position. He isn’t that good. They would love for him to be the guy. Wouldn’t have to spend a draft pick and he’s on a rookie contract.
Did I somehow misinterpret the below? Because it seems like you describe qualities that Reich prefers in QBs, including slow, then say Trey Lance fits the bill:

Quote:
One of the issues I see though is he doesn’t seem to fit the type of QB Reich likes. Shorter, slow, not a big arm. The ND state QB seems to fit Reich’s preferences.
Also, I watched enough Mac Jones to know he's more athletic than your typical 4.8+ 40 pocket passer. He is elusive in the pocket, and he's a threat to run the ball for significant yardage when the pocket breaks down. He's not as fast as Russell Wilson, but I'd be willing to bet he's not as slow as Drew Brees, either.

Regarding Eason, we'll have to agree to disagree, because all the 4th round or later QBs that I can remember coming into the NFL and spending any significant time as a starter got their opportunity because the starter in front of them got injured. I can't think of any since 2000 for whom that's not the case. That suggests a pattern to me.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:16 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post

30 million lottery tickets are purchased, none by me, cuz I don't like the odds. But hoping that Eason turns into a quality starter? I'd buy a ticket for that dream.

o

I'd buy 2 tickets for that dream as a fan/observer, but I wouldn't count on it if I were the GM of the Colts in 2021 and beyond.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 01-17-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:59 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Did I somehow misinterpret the below? Because it seems like you describe qualities that Reich prefers in QBs, including slow, then say Trey Lance fits the bill:

Also, I watched enough Mac Jones to know he's more athletic than your typical 4.8+ 40 pocket passer. He is elusive in the pocket, and he's a threat to run the ball for significant yardage when the pocket breaks down. He's not as fast as Russell Wilson, but I'd be willing to bet he's not as slow as Drew Brees, either.

Regarding Eason, we'll have to agree to disagree, because all the 4th round or later QBs that I can remember coming into the NFL and spending any significant time as a starter got their opportunity because the starter in front of them got injured. I can't think of any since 2000 for whom that's not the case. That suggests a pattern to me.
What I was saying is Mac Jones is shorter, slow and doesn’t have a big arm. I do like Jones other intangibles, but he does not fit the profile I think Reich prefers. Trey Lance seems to possess the traits Reich covets; athletic, big arm, tall.

Eason literally has an opportunity right now to step up. The reason he isn’t the starter is bc he isn’t very good, not bc there is someone in front of him. If he was good they would consider it. Teams were not impressed with his football knowledge at the combine after interviews. Ballard just said he has a long way to go. At best he is a long term project.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:12 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

o

This person asserts that Eason could be the Colts' starting QB in 2021.

Why Jacob Eason Could Be Next in Line to Take Over Colts’ Starting QB Job

(By Jerry Trotta)

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2021/01/...g-quarterback/

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 01-17-2021, 08:06 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(By Jerry Trotta)

o
I read that one earlier. I see it as he is saying that he would have the edge over a newly signed player because of familiarity with the playbook. This is based on no other QB under contract at the moment.
Colts And Orioles (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 08:50 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
o

(By Jerry Trotta)

o
That person is stupid.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
What I was saying is Mac Jones is shorter, slow and doesn’t have a big arm. I do like Jones other intangibles, but he does not fit the profile I think Reich prefers. Trey Lance seems to possess the traits Reich covets; athletic, big arm, tall.
Mac Jones is 6'3" to Trey Lance's 6'4", not exactly a huge difference, and I thought 6'3" was considered prototypical height for the position, or at least in the range. Also, when watching Mac Jones on tape, what makes you think he's not athletic? The things that make me think he is are watching him extend plays when the pocket collapses, escape sacks and find his way to open field, and outrunning oncoming pass rushers. He wouldn't be able to do those things were he slow. Also, "slow" doesn't necessarily mean unathletic at the QB position. I don't think anyone in the NFL would say Patrick Mahomes is unathletic, but his 40 time was 4.8, and he's considered one of the biggest running threat QBs in the NFL. I'll grant you he doesn't have a big arm, but he has what is IMO the most important arm trait for a QB, which is accuracy. I'll reiterate here that I hope Mac Jones is available at 21 and I hope the Colts pick him if he is.

Quote:
o

(By Jerry Trotta)

o
It would be interesting if he were, and an amazing story if he were to succeed, but I don't think either Ballard or Reich are going to bet their jobs on him basically sight unseen. If he gets forced into action and excels, that's different, but they didn't draft him in such a way that they were putting their jobs on the line in doing so.