ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Everything Else > General Topics

Old 03-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Mexican Dip
(Can also use as a filling for pin wheels in flour tortillas 8-10)

8 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
4 ounces chopped drained black olives
2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
1 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chives
garlic powder, to taste
1 tsp season salt (optional)
8 oz salsa
1 jalapeno, chopped very fine, I take seeds out if don't want it too hot

1. Mix all items together.
2. Chill
3. If you add to much salsa and it is to Spicy, just add in some more sour cream, not Cream Cheese.
Pez (11-25-2019), Spike (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Accidental Administrator

Default The Return of Sunday Sauce

ok, here's another go at our Pez House Sunday Sauce. I posted this once before but made a botch of it and it got lost to the ether somewhere.

This is a great sauce, time consuming, and labor intensive. I'm a bit of an early riser so I start my Sunday Sauce before anyone else in the house wakes up and it's a chill way to start a Sunday, especially a game day Sunday. Music in my headphones, coffee, a quiet house, and preparing the mise. I make the sauce and simmer it all day. The only two ingredients I would not substitute would be the San Marzano tomatoes, they are the best for long simmered sauces. Also, this recipe calls for wine and there is a rule in the Pez house that if you are cooking with wine, you use a wine that you would drink, not that bottle of weird Holland House "red cooking wine" thats been in the spice cabinet for eight years. Throw that shit away.

The sauce and the meatballs use many of the same ingredients, so some of the prep overlaps. Anyway, off we go:

Sauce Ingredients:
2T. EVOO
1/2 a red bell pepper - fine dice (you use the other half later so dice the whole thing)
1 medium white onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced (this is not a precise measurement, you measure garlic with love)
6 oz. Tomato paste
28 oz. crushed San Marzano tomatoes (I dont dig on big tomato chunks in my sauce, sometimes I just get two cans puree, see below)
28 oz. San Marzano tomato puree
1 C. red wine, divided into two 1/2 cups
3/4 C. fresh grated parm
1 T. Sugar
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 T. Italian herb mix (I use Penzey's brand)
1 T. chopped basil (or 1 t. of dried basil)
1 t. Oregano

Meatball Ingredients:
I swear, one day I'm going to make square meatballs. Seems like that would be a hell of a lot easier to brown properly. Anyway, I digress:

3 T. EVOO, divided into 1 T. and 2 T.
The other half of the red pepper
1 medium white onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, fine diced (see note above)
1 lb. 80/20 ground beef (the fat is important so get the cheap stuff)
1 lb. ground veal & pork mix (dont sweat it if you cant find veal, get groupnd pork, or just do another pound of ground beef).
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 C. plan bread crumbs
1/2 C. whole milk (whole is best flavor, 2%, skim etc still ok)
1/2 C. red wine
1/2 C. fresh grated parm
2 t. Italian herb mix (dried)
1 T. chopped Basil
1 T. chopped oragano
1 T. choppped parsely
2 t. salt
2 t. black pepper

I can be a bit of a freak sometimes, but I like to chop and prep all of the stuff above before I do anything else, the full mise en place. Yes, it takes longer. Yes, you could chop the garlic while the peppers and onions are cooking. For me, this adds stress to the act of cooking, and I think you can taste stress in your food. I like to get everything in it's place before I even get the stock pot out, then the cooking is all about linear execution. This is just me, your kitchen is your kitchen, do it how you want.

Make the Sauce
1. In a very large stock pot (we use a Le Creuset knockoff we got for $80 instead of $500), heat EVOO over med-high
2. When hot, add peppers & onion, saute 3-4 mins
3. add the garlic and saute 1-2 mins (if you burn your garlic here, start over)
4. Once the garlic is fragrant add the tomato paste from the 6oz can, then refill the can with water and add that also, stir well
5. Add crushed tomatoes
6. Add tomato puree, then use the can to put in 42 oz water (1.5 of the 28 oz cans)
7. Add one of the half cups of wine, add cheese, add sugar, give this a good stir
8. Add salt, pepper, the dried herbs, basil, parsely & oregano, stir well and give it a min to settle
9. Taste it, then add salt and pepper to taste
10. reduce heat to low, sauce should be at a very low simmer (no lid)
11. Tidy up your space, take a break & drink the other half cup of wine

Make the Meatballs

1. In a small skillet, heat 1 T. of the EVOO over med-high heat
2. Once hot, add peppers, onion & saute 3-4 mins
3. Add the garlic and saute 1-2 mins more (if you garlic gets brown, start over with less heat)
4. Once garlic is fragrant, remove from skillet and spread the mixture out on a dinner plate, put this plate in the fridge or even the feezer (this mixture needs to cool or it does weird shit like cooking the raw eggs that you add later. The plate is to increae the cold surface area it's touching. If you use a bowl instead, stir it every now and then).
5. Combine all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the red wine in a large bowl
6. Once the onion / garlic / pepper mixture has cooled, add to the bowl
7. Mix with your hands until well mixed
8. Form into 24 meat balls, about golf ball sized, perhaps a bit smaller. (meat squares, go for it, you will be forever remembered as an innovator)
9. In a large skillet, heat 2 T. EVOO until hot
10. Brown the meatballs in 3 batches of 8 (this is just for texture, and to keep them together during the long simmer). As a meatball is browned enough, go ahed and drop it into the sauce.
11. After all the browned meatballs are in the sauce, get it back to a slow simmer
12. Tidy up your space, relax and drink the remaining 1/2 cup of red wine.
13. Simmer the sauce for at least two hours, but all day is better. At least two hours so the meat cooks and you don't kill someone with trichinosis. The fat in the meat will render into the sauce as it cooks, thus all day is the sweet spot. Stop by every now and then and give it a stir.

It's usually about 10:00 AM by the time I get to this step. The house is starting to wake up. It's a chill Sunday. I've had 3 glasses of red wine and have 3 hours before the games start. After we watch the colts win their 1:00 game it's 4:30 and we start thinking about making some spaghetti and sitting down.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (11-25-2019), Spike (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 PM
Accidental Administrator

Default Asian Meat Monday

Yea, cultural appropriation. It's got soy sauce so it must be Asian. This is a simple recipe that is a go to on school nights. Can be done end to end in about 30 mins.

Note, it's super easy to get this too salty, do not add salt to anything until you get to the end and taste it. Not all my recipes are complicated.

Note on meat. This recipe is originally made for beef, but can be chicken, pork, even (very firm) tofu, hell it might be good with hamburger and served as a side over veg. I think the best beef for this is a cheap sirloin. The meat ends up being braised, so it gets tender even if it's not one of the best cuts. Once we ordered a whole strip loin and cut it into steaks. We had over a pound of meat scraps leftover and cooked it on an Asian meat Monday. This is a great way to get rid of that one steak you have in the freezer etc.

Asian Meat

1 lb. beef
3 T. Sugar (less if you are not a sweet meat fan)
2 T. Sesame oil (yea, this makes it tend toward Thai food, but it's a great flavor)
1 T. Sesame oil (another for later)
3 T. of soy sauce (low sodium if you have it)
3 T. of Oyster Sauce (if you don't have this, use more soy. In general, 6 T. of an asian sauce, primarily soy. If you use the full 6 T. of full sodium soy, this will be too salty)
2 Pinches of crushed red pepper
2 green onions, chopped thin on a bias (a quarter of a regular onion is fine)
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 T. Flour
1/3 C. water (for later)

1. Start cooking 2 cups of rice, we use sushi rice... I'm not going to tell anyone how to cook rice, just that you need to start it now as you will be done in about 25 mins.
2. Cut the beef into thin slices, about 1" x 2" x 1/4". I cut whatever beef I'm using into 2" wide strips and then slice it thin. Put the slices in a medium sized bowl.
3. Add remaining ingredients, EXCEPT the water and the single T. of Sesame oil.
4. Let marinate at least 20 mins.
5. Add reserved sesame oil to 10" lidded skillet. Heat over high-medium heat.
5. Once hot, dump the bowl Into the skillet.
6. Cook until meat is just browned. Longer if you are using chicken or pork.
7. Add the water and wait until it boils.
8. reduce heat to Low, cover and simmer 20 mins.

Serve over rice.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
smitty46953 (11-25-2019), Spike (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Accidental Administrator

Default Pizza dough

Pizza dough / how I make pizzas at home

Ok, I think my pizza is better than any pizza I have had in this town. If you think differently, I want you to come over and we will make your recipe too. I'm including two formulae here. One has a pre-ferment and takes two days. The other you can start in the morning and finish in the afternoon. a good home-sized pizza weights about 300g when it's dough.

As far as techniques go, my method would probably shock your great great grandfather in Naples (Italy, not Florida). I've NOT been making pizzas every day for 40 years, I'm not super fast at it, and most of mine are not perfectly round. My method lends itself to a community / party atmosphere. People get to make their own pizza and all that needs done is 6 mins in the oven and they are nearly perfect.

I wont take credit for these recipes. The first is from Jeffrey Hamelman, the second is from Ken Forkish. If you make either of these and like them, support these guys by buying their books. Hamelman uses oil, and I like the texture this gives the dough. Forkish does not. It's my opinion that the Hamelman dough is more of a New England style of dough, Forkish's dough is more of a traditional Italian dough. Both are excellent. I slightly prefer the Hamelman, as I think the preferment imparts a level of flavor subtlety that is perhaps lacking in Forkish's also fantastic dough (note too, that Forkish has many pizza dough recipes that have a preferment, I'm just not sharing any here).

Note on flour: there are 3 acceptable types of flour. If you are making pizzas that require this level of effort with Generic Kroger brand flour, you should rethink a few of your priorities. The best flour for pizza is Caputo 00 Chefs flour. You can find this on amazon, it's expensive, but not prohibitively so. The second best flour is King Arthur All Purpose. KA is very serious about their flour and have acheived a very consistent process wherby each bag of KAAP flour has a consistent 11.7% protein content. Gold Medal Flour is also very consistent at 10.5%. (Caputo is 13.5%). I cannot speak for other brands. You might have a great experience with Kroger brand flour, however the experience between this bag of Kroger brand flour and your next bag of Kroger brand flour can the very different.

There's generally two proteins in flour, glutenin and gliadin. Add water to these and they make gluten. The amount of gluten in bread is proportional to it's ability to hold gas bubbles. The yeast eats and produces gas, the gluten strands make it difficult for this gas to escape, bubbles form inside the bread and it makes holes in the bread's crumb. Crumb is all the parts of bread that is not the crust.

Hamelman's Pizza Dough:

Biga (preferment)
102g Caupto 00 Pizza Flour
62g Water at 32 C (I used the metric system here, it's better thats about 90 F)
0.02g yeast. Hamelman cracks me up as he actually says the amount is 0.001 oz. If you have a scale at home that measures ounces out to the thousdandths place, you likely have to rethink some priorities. 0.02g of yeast is as much as you can fit between your thumb and index finger in a single (not greedy) pinch. It's a very small amount of yeast. (Yes I have a metric scale that measures centigrams, I had my own personal priority rethink whereby I decided that pizza is fantastic enough to be a nerd about it.)

1. Add the water to a smallish mixing bowl.
2. Add the pinch of yeast
3. wait 5 mins
4. add flour

Mix this up with a danish whisk, then follow up with your hands. This will look like it's too dry and will feel wrong. Dont sweat it, just focus on getting as much as you can incorporated into the ball. This will take a few mintes of kneading.

Put the biga into a clean bowl (will be easer to get it out tomorrow), cover and put on a high shelf in your kitchen (heat rises).

Do this step in the evening on Saturday, then sunday morning start at 6:00 AM if you want pizza for lunch, 10:00 AM if you want pizza for dinner.

Anyway, it's now Sunday mornining and time to make the final dough.

Final Dough:
289g water @ 32C
414g Flour
8.5g salt
3.7g yeast
24g EVOO
164g Biga you made last night (all of it)

1. Add water to the bowl of your stand mixer or mixing bowl. I use a kitchen aid mixer that is the best I could afford but is not that great of a mixer. When I win the lottery I will own a spiral mixer and then will have the joy of rethinking all my bread recipes.

2. Add the yeast to the water and set a 5 mins timer

3. measure the rest of your ingredients, then wait for the timer to go off

4. Add the flour

5. Add the salt

6. Start mixing on low speed with the dough hook

7. As it's mixing scrape down the sides to make sure it's properly incorporating. Set a timer for 5 mins.

8. once it's well on it's way, start tearing the Biga into pieces, add a piece, wait for it to mix, add another, add another until it's all in there

9. After your five min timer goes off, stop. Take the mixer bowl out and check for flour on the bottom. You may need to use a bowl scraper and get the mass turned over in the bowl. You can also knead a couple times by hand here. Kitchen Aid makes a great mixer that is designed for a wide range of uses. It's great for bread but it's not perfect for bread.

10. Put the bowl back in the mixer and mix on your second speed for 5 mins. My second speed on my mixer is 3. While this is mixing, slowly drizzle in the EVOO at different places in the bowl. One of the problems I have is that the EVOO tends to overly lubricate the sides of the bowl as well as the dough hook. Its possible that the dough hook will just start moving over the dough and will be no loonger mixing it. If this happens, stop and turn the dough ball over in the mixing bowl, then resume. LIke soccer, make note of such stoppage time and make up a figure at the end that is how much additional time needed to assure that you got your dough mixed on second speed for a full 5 mins.

11. Remove the bowl from the mixer and give it a couple hand kneads to help incorporate the stray oil. Proceed to step 12.

Forkish's "Saturday Pizza Dough"

This is meant to be a single day dough, Start in the morning and finish in the evening. This dough is much more gently mixed, and is mixed by hand over a mixer.

350g water at 32C
15g fine sea salt
0.3g yeast
500g caputo 00 Pizza Flour

1. add water to mixing bowl

2. add yeast to water, set 5 mins timer

3. measure flour and salt

4. After 5 min timer, add flour and salt to bowl

5. mix by hand, sittring first, then kneading for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

6. let rest for 20 mins

7. knead again for 30 to 60 seconds

8. proceed to step 12

Steps common to both doughs:

12. Dump the dough into your proofing bin and set a 1 hour timer. I use a an 8 quart lidded cambro square for this.

13. After the 1 hour timer goes off, given the dough an 8 way fold with a wet hand. wet you hand, fold north over south, northeast over southwest, east over west etc until you have folder it 8 times. The sexiest thing here is that the dough will figh you more and more with each point of the compass. This is a muscular dough and will fight you. Sometimes instead of folding, the entire dough ball will come out of the bin. Dont sweat it, just get it folded. Re-cover the bin, high shelf, one hour timer

14. repeat step 13

15. Get your scale and a large bowl. Heavily flour your work surface and dump the douhg in the middle of it. Flour the top of the dough as well. Ue your bench knife to fold the dough on itself all around, then flip it over and over until it's reasonably well floured and you can pick it Up with your hands.

16. Weigh the dough and divide by 3. cut the dough into 3 equal chunks that weigh approx 294g.

17. fold the individual balls onto themselves so each is a coherent mass in the shape of a ball. Get 3 ceral bowls and spray them with canola oil cooking spray (get the bottom and the sides).

18. Drop the dough ball in seam side up and swirl it around a bit, then flip it over so it is seam side down.

19. If you used Hamelman's recipe: Cover, let rest 1.5 hours. If you used Forkish's recipe, cover, let rest 6 (yes, six) hours.

20. Put your pizza stone in the over and preheat to 550.

21. once preheated, flour your work surface again and shape one dough ball into a 10-12 inch pizza.

22. Load this crust onto your peel and slide onto you stone

23. par bake 3 mins, then remove to cooling rack

24. repeat with other two crusts

25. Cover until you are ready to make pizzas.

26. To the par baked crust, add sauce, toppings, cheese

27. baked topped crust for 6 mins, enjoy

smitty46953 (11-26-2019), Spike (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:11 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Thanks Pez & Smitty. I appreciate you guys taking the time to share this.
smitty46953 (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I want to hear your best wing recipe's. I will post my wife's if she will let me
Hey Puck, When I was 12 or 13, my dad and I used to make wings every Sunday in the garage before we watched the Colts and thought we had a pretty bad assed recipe going, we even revive it now that I'm almost 50 and my dada is 75.

Mrs. Puck's wings are the best. wings. I. have. ever. had. in. my. life. I just love how they were just unapologetically killing it with good flavor vs masking it with heat.

Hook us up with the recipe if you can.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pez For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Thanks Pez & Smitty. I appreciate you guys taking the time to share this.
Pez should own a restaurant …
Puck (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Hey Puck, When I was 12 or 13, my dad and I used to make wings every Sunday in the garage before we watched the Colts and thought we had a pretty bad assed recipe going, we even revive it now that I'm almost 50 and my dada is 75.

Mrs. Puck's wings are the best. wings. I. have. ever. had. in. my. life. I just love how they were just unapologetically killing it with good flavor vs masking it with heat.

Hook us up with the recipe if you can.
Read this to Mrs Puck She was extremely grateful. And yes she will share the post on here.

But seriously dude you were the talent with the crust and sauce
Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts
Default Mrs Puck wing recipe

Here ya go. You won’t be disappointed

This recipe is comprised of two recipes put together.

Brine:
2 beers
2 Tbls brown sugar
2 Tbls salt
Marinade 5 lbs of wings overnight in brine.

Place wings on a rack over a bar pan (spray liberally with non-stick spray).
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

While the wings are baking mix the sauce (this makes enough for 15lbs of wings and will store in the fridge for a couple weeks):
3 Sticks of Butter, softened
1/2 cup Tabasco Sauce
3 Tbls Brown Sugar
3/4 tsp. Paprika
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 Tbls Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbls Sriracha, Chili Sauce

After the wings have baked or 20 minutes baste with sauce, turn wings over and baste second side.
Bake until done...approx 20 more minutes.

Enjoy
Pez (11-27-2019), smitty46953 (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 PM
Accidental Administrator

Oh yes.... thank you

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk