ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I'd target Fleming and the guard from Carolina, but they'd be lower priority to me than Ansah and Bradham.
I like Ansah and would like to sign him, but he's 29 (this surprised me, but he's from BYU so he probably did the mormon thing after graduation) with a significant injury history so I don't think our offseason hinges on signing him either.

With all our cap space there's no reason to have to prioritize. Bradham isn't going to cost that much, no one contract from any FA is going to significantly dent our cap space.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I like Ansah and would like to sign him, but he's 29 (this surprised me, but he's from BYU so he probably did the mormon thing after graduation) with a significant injury history so I don't think our offseason hinges on signing him either.

With all our cap space there's no reason to have to prioritize. Bradham isn't going to cost that much, no one contract from any FA is going to significantly dent our cap space.
That is the result of a combination of years of careful cap management and poor drafting by Grigson. Fortunately, the latter portion has been eliminated, but if the former is not retained, the team could end up in cap hell very quickly.

As far as the targets are concerned, no free agent is going to be perfect, teams make retaining their best players their top priority. Ansah having an injury history and likely being a poor fit for Patricia's defense are what will allow him to be on the market in the first place.

Last edited by Dam8610; 02-15-2018 at 05:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
littlepickle13 (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
They don't worry me at all either, in the run game. But for once in my lifetime I would like to start seeing some consistent pressure up the middle.
There's are a few DTs in this draft that excel at getting into the backfield. Hurst is my favorite, some worry about his size. Also the kid from Florida, he may be a second or third rounder. There are a few to choose from. To me, getting that penetration up the middle is what makes this type of scheme truly sing. We never really had that till we picked up booger. Otherwise we just watch guys like Tom Brady step up in the pocket to complete the throw.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

I'll be fascinated to see what the Colts do if they trade out of #3, especially with reports of BUF looking to jump in for a QB.

On paper, Chubb makes almost too much sense to pass up. He has all the making of a 10+ sack 4-3 DE.

But if Ballard's scouting team feels like they can find enough of a pass rush further down, it would be hard to pass up on that draft capital.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
That is the result of a combination of years of careful cap management and poor drafting by Grigson. Fortunately, the latter portion has been eliminated, but if the former is not retained, the team could end up in cap hell very quickly.

I think we still have the Cap guy how was helping write those contracts. Mike Bluem is his name. https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/2/...the-salary-cap
Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I'll be fascinated to see what the Colts do if they trade out of #3, especially with reports of BUF looking to jump in for a QB.

On paper, Chubb makes almost too much sense to pass up. He has all the making of a 10+ sack 4-3 DE.

But if Ballard's scouting team feels like they can find enough of a pass rush further down, it would be hard to pass up on that draft capital.
I agree, if we could come out of the 1st round with Raquon Smith and Maurice Hurst, that has to be a better haul then just Chubb.

I think this defense could improve in a hurry under that scenario, and then add a guy like Michel in the 2nd.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I agree, if we could come out of the 1st round with Raquon Smith and Maurice Hurst, that has to be a better haul then just Chubb.

I think this defense could improve in a hurry under that scenario, and then add a guy like Michel in the 2nd.
Chubb is going to be the next Freeney/ Mathis, I just don't see how you pass on a guy like that, if available.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:47 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I think we still have the Cap guy how was helping write those contracts. Mike Bluem is his name. https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/2/...the-salary-cap
Right, my point was if the team goes on a free agency spending spree and signs 5 or 6 mega contracts, that will hurt them a few years down the road.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Depends on how they write the contracts.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Right, my point was if the team goes on a free agency spending spree and signs 5 or 6 mega contracts, that will hurt them a few years down the road.
That ain't happening and I think we all know it. If Ballard signs more than 3 high level FA's I would be surprised.I