ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2022, 07:28 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,280 Times in 2,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

In 2008, the Colts started the season at 3-4. Part of the reason for that slow start was because Peyton Manning was nursing a sore knee, which did not completely stop bothering him until mid-season.

Something that bothered me was the 7th game of that season, which was nationally televised on Monday Night, and was the last game that the Colts lost that season before the playoffs. The Colts were up by by score of 7-6 at halftime. In the first drive of the 2nd half, Manning promptly marched the team down the field for a touchdown, and a 14-6 lead. Then the defense made a stop, and it looked like the Colts were going to get the ball back ...... but on 3rd and long, the referees bailed the Titans out with a questionable pass interference call. Instead of the Colts getting the ball back with a 14-6 lead and all of the momentum, the Titans instead took advantage of that call and scored a TD with a 2-point conversion to tie the game at 14, then reeled off 17 more points to win the game handily. I really felt at the time the the Colts were robbed of a golden opportunity to get a stranglehold on the game because of that one crucial call. Instead, the loss dropped the Colts to 3-4 overall, with virtually no chance to catch the undefeated (7-0) Titans for the AFC South title.

Anyway, this current Colts team has also started the season at 3-4. Like that 2008 team, I believe that these Colts are better than their record would indicate, and subsequently I think that they will be back in the playoff hunt in December ...... just like that 2008 team was. I don't think that Carson Wentz is as good as Peyton Manning was, but he is a darned good quarterback who has the mobility that Manning never had. I also think that the 2008 team was better than this 2021 team is, but not by a lot. This upcoming game with the Titans is crucial, just like that game was against them back in October of 2008. One difference is that the Colts are playing this game at home, as opposed to the 2008 game which was played in Nashville. It's a potential season-saver/season-breaker for them ...... will they answer the call, or will they fall back into a nearly irrecoverable hole ???

o
o

8 days ago, this thread was looking really good ...... unfortunately, in that 8-day span it wound up being deposited in the garbage.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck