ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,646 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Polite didn’t interview well. I guess he rubbed a lot of teams the wrong way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
I followed that and it seemed like the media over-covered it. I think he got some bad advice from his agent and flubbed it some, but I've read people talking about him falling to day 3 of the draft and I just don't see that at all.
Everything I read was that he was upset teams were showing him his bad plays and wouldn't break down the film they showed him with them. That's part of the draft (and the NFL) process. If he can't handle that, I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Colts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
There's risk from a draft capital standpoint, but to me the reward potential of two perennial pro bowlers far outweighs it. To me, Sweat is the guy you have to get if available, he's top 5 from a pure talent standpoint in this draft IMO. I also wouldn't be disappointed with something like Sweat and Tillery.
I fully agree with you on the upside. I’m just pointing out that there’s a decent probability you could end up with nothing. Though the fact that there are pro soccer players in Europe playing through Sweat’s condition gives me a degree of optimism on his ability to have a long career.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:38 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Everything I read was that he was upset teams were showing him his bad plays and wouldn't break down the film they showed him with them. That's part of the draft (and the NFL) process. If he can't handle that, I'm not sure he's a good fit for the Colts.
That's the spin I read, the fuller account included his comments saying he understood it was their job to do that and, in context, he didn't sound that bad. Underprepared, which is his agents fault.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
That's the spin I read, the fuller account included his comments saying he understood it was their job to do that and, in context, he didn't sound that bad. Underprepared, which is his agents fault.
To be fair, you can be underprepared and still demonstrate a lack of maturity. Will be interesting to know how the Colts view him.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:50 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,646 Times in 954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
I fully agree with you on the upside. I’m just pointing out that there’s a decent probability you could end up with nothing. Though the fact that there are pro soccer players in Europe playing through Sweat’s condition gives me a degree of optimism on his ability to have a long career.
There's a decent probability of ending up with nothing for any draft pick outside the top 10 (top 5?). To me, the reward outweighs the risk at 26 and 34.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:39 PM

Holder says, among other things, to expect Offensive Line early and he doesn’t see it with Jeffery Simmons and that it won’t be a WR and that they aren’t trading up/down:

Quote:
Look for an early offensive line pick
You’d think the offensive line wouldn’t be a priority topic of conversation after a 2018 draft that netted the Colts a pair of offensive linemen at pick Nos. 3 and 37 overall. Quenton Nelson (No. 3) and Braden Smith (37) went on to become the starting left guard and right tackle, respectively. The Colts also have all five of their 2018 starting linemen returning, a rarity in the ever-changing NFL.

And yet, the Colts are still investing significant time evaluating various offensive linemen in this class, according to sources. That includes offensive linemen projected to be chosen in the first round. Specifically, the odds of an offensive line pick during the first two days of the draft (Rounds 1 through 3) are strong.
Quote:
I don’t see the Colts picking Jeffery Simmons
There’s not much consensus on where Mississippi State standout defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons will be picked. He’s a difficult player to project given his recent torn ACL. Without it, he’d likely be an early first-round selection. With the injury, he’s perhaps a late-first-round choice. No one knows.

Either way, the possibility exists that he could be on the board when the Colts pick at No. 26 or 34. If so, then what?

Here’s what: The Colts pass. And it will be, in my humble opinion, as much because of his character flag as his injury. If Simmons heals, he could be a beast in 2020.
Quote:

The first-rounder won’t be a wide receiver
This prediction is, admittedly, based more on gut feeling than hard information. But it’s not a mere dart thrown at the proverbial board, either.

The Colts in the past two offseasons haven’t shown any real urgency about the wide receiver position. While they signed free agent Devin Funchess to a significant one-year, $10 million contract this spring, the key words there are “one year.” That is hardly a long-term commitment and is not the kind of move a team makes when it is deeply concerned about a particular unit.

The Colts don’t seem to view receiver the same way they do offensive or defensive line and other critical positions. That doesn’t mean they are willing to play with just anyone. But because of the confidence coach Frank Reich possesses — he believes he can win with truly elite talent at the position — it’s very possible the Colts will prioritize other areas in Round 1 (to be clear, a receiver pick feels likely in subsequent rounds).

Quote:
The Colts won’t trade up or down at No. 26
I don’t have a crystal ball, so I’m going out on a shaky limb here.

But, here’s the rationale for this prediction: The Colts, as Ballard said Monday, have a “cluster” of eight players they have targeted for the No. 26 pick. They are extremely confident one or more of them will be available. If they’re right, it seems likely they’re content to let one of their preferred players fall to them and then pounce. Ballard and others around the league have said there are fewer truly elite players at the top of this draft, so unless one of the very best players falls unexpectedly, it’s not a given there is someone they even consider worthy of trading up for.

As for the trade-down possibility, I don’t see it. Here’s why: There’s a growing consensus that the depth of the draft is consistent throughout the second round and into the third round. If that’s true, are you going to be motivated to trade up to No. 26 if you’re a team possessing an early- to mid-second-round pick? The conventional wisdom — obviously without knowing which players will be available — is to stay put and get a player of comparable talent
https://theathletic.com/938751/2019/....co/S7kQZMmmps
Old 04-22-2019, 08:19 PM

Interesting that Holder doesn't think the Colts would take Simmons. He tends to be tuned in pretty well to the front office.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

I still say DT, but the RB from bama wouldn’t surprise me keep hearing his name thrown around since the game of horse with Reich and add in they brought in ajayi and decided not to sign him. The more I read about the Jacobs guy the more he screams horseshoe
Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
I still say DT, but the RB from bama wouldn’t surprise me keep hearing his name thrown around since the game of horse with Reich and add in they brought in ajayi and decided not to sign him. The more I read about the Jacobs guy the more he screams horseshoe
They are not taking a RB at 26.

Last edited by Luck4Reich; 04-22-2019 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Butter (04-22-2019), FatDT (04-23-2019), YDFL Commish (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
They are not taking a RB at 26.
I don’t want them to but it wouldn’t surprise me
The Following User Says Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (04-22-2019)