ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,268 Times in 2,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(vs. TEXANS, 10/20)

Jacoby Brissett became just the 3rd QB in franchise history (1953 - Present) to have thrown 4 TD passes, 0 INT's, and 300 or more yards in a single game.

The other 2 to have done so ......... Johnny Unitas and Peyton Manning.

SOURCE: ) ESPN News Services

o
o

To keep this in perspective, regarding the eras in which these 3 different quarterbacks played in ........

Johnny Unitas: llllll),, 1956-1973 lll.) (1956-1972 with the Colts)

Peyton Manning: ll..,, 1998-2015 llll) (1998-2010 with the Colts)

Jacoby Brissett: llllll,) 2016- 2019 llll. (2017-2019 with the Colts)

A) ) Prior to 1974, a defensive player could hit a receiver an unlimited number of times downfield, so long as the ball was not in the air.

Starting in 1974, the most severe rule change regarding pass receivers and defenders was enacted ...... a player could only make contact one time beyond 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. This makes one appreciate what Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Fran Tarkenton, Bart Starr, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. accomplished. These quarterbacks all had most or all of their careers played prior to the 1974 season.

B) ) In 1977, the rule was amended to aid the pass receivers a second time. Starting that season, a defender could only make contact with a receiver one time, and one time only ........ whether it be within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage, or further downfield.

C) ) In 1978, the rule was amended to aid the pass receivers yet again. Starting that season, a defender could make contact with a receiver only one time, and within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. If the defender made contact with a receiver 6 yards or more from the line of scrimmage it was now considered pass interference, even if the ball was not yet in the air.

* ) In the last 10-15 years, more rule changes protecting both the receivers and the quarterbacks has allowed offensive statistics to increase even higher than they already had been.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Pez (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
That's the natural progression of salaries.

He's the 24th highest avg salary WR, and tied for 155th in overal league avg salary.

I still am not seeing why there is this expectation of him being a game changer.
There are 32 teams, and each team starts 2 WRs most of the time. That's 64 starting WRs. Quick math tells me he'd the highest paid WR on at least 8 teams.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:41 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,613 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Not sure where it was said, BUT, there's 13 million rea$ons to think that Ballard thought as much.
Funchess is on a 1 year, $10 million deal.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:02 AM

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,200 Posts

I look at it this way. If Funchess comes back and tears it up in the playoffs, the $13 million will look like a wise investment, and nobody will care where he is on the scale of WR pay.

Besides, that $13 million hasn't prevented Ballard from making a single move that he could or may make.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,616 Times in 2,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I look at it this way. If Funchess comes back and tears it up in the playoffs, the $13 million will look like a wise investment, and nobody will care where he is on the scale of WR pay.

Besides, that $13 million hasn't prevented Ballard from making a single move that he could or may make.
Funchess was worth the try, we need a 2nd receiver that complements TY. Still might pay off.

We could use one of those pass rushers Green Bay signed, that we were in on, right now.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Post whore

One thing I wanted to say about Brisset in this last game is his touch on throws seemed to be a little better. He still strong armed some stuff, but he didn't strong arm every throw, which might mean things are slowing down for him and he is processing in the pocket more.

Also a shout out to the protection he is receiving which is allowing him to process things. Except for Glowinski who is the weak link there I think the line has been doing well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 10:52 AM

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Funchess was worth the try, we need a 2nd receiver that complements TY. Still might pay off.

We could use one of those pass rushers Green Bay signed, that we were in on, right now.
I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Vic Beasley on a 1 year rental. I think his lack of production in Atlanta is largely due to how he is being misused there. That entire defense is a hot mess, and much of it is due to coaching.

No more than a 3rd round pick though.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Vic Beasley on a 1 year rental. I think his lack of production in Atlanta is largely due to how he is being misused there. That entire defense is a hot mess, and much of it is due to coaching.

No more than a 3rd round pick though.
Beasley scares me, I think he might be fools gold. He had that one good year then has been largely disappointing since. I remember reading an article and they went through his rookie sacks and they were mostly due to luck and opportunity and not effort. For example; he is unblocked and has an easy path to the QB. I'd say no to the Von Miller rumors also.

Grady Jarrett on the other hand...

Last edited by Chromeburn; 10-24-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
There are 32 teams, and each team starts 2 WRs most of the time. That's 64 starting WRs. Quick math tells me he'd the highest paid WR on at least 8 teams.
And the vast majority of those are just decent players. Very few are game changers. Explain to me why Funchess is one of those... Salary doesn't make a player a game changer.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
And the vast majority of those are just decent players. Very few are game changers. Explain to me why Funchess is one of those... Salary doesn't make a player a game changer.
Of course salary doesn't make a player a game changer, but it does make me feel that Ballard, who I have enormous faith in, does value Funchess. He's big, and can create problems for the smaller DBs, and he's fast enough to be a mismatch for any LBer. Like Ebron, he's a red zone man. When he returns, we'll see, I can't wait.