ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I think you are right.

That scenario may be even better for the Colts, Buffalo would be quickly trying to trade up and offering whatever they could to do so. More high picks for the Colts and trade back again
Who does buffalo really need to worry about between 6 and 12 taking a QB that they would trade up? Possibly Miami but I dont think they are in a position of worry. Dolphins have a good QB if he is healthy

Doubt we could get much in a trade with Buffalo
Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Who does buffalo really need to worry about between 6 and 12 taking a QB that they would trade up? Possibly Miami but I dont think they are in a position of worry. Dolphins have a good QB if he is healthy

It is not necessarily about who between 6 and 12 needs a QB....

It is about who could also trade UP in front of them and nab the remaining QB that they might want.

While I don't see a ton of teams in the 'teens that need QBs, the 2 that jump out at me are BAL at #16 and LAC at #17. Flacco is 33 and has not been doing much lately and Rivers is 36 with his primary backup being Kellen Clemens who is 34.

If the remaining "top" QB is still sitting there at #10 or #11, then I could see a team in the low teens potentially being interesting in jumping up and snagging him.

If team management things that a kid is "da bomb diggidy," they are typically willing to trade a lot to move up and get him.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:21 AM

I don't think that anything is going to happen with the Colts 6th pick until the draft now. Especially if the Bills have their sights set on a particular QB that they have fallen in love with and he isn't available, why would they waste their picks?

There are quite a few QB's in this class who could very well become productive starters, Rosen, Darnold, Allen and Mayfield are the big 4, with the likes of Lamar Jackson also considered a 1st round prospect. But only a few weeks ago Mason Rudolph was all the rage, but he is now looking more like a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd round selection. Then you have the darling of the bowl games Kyle Lauletta, who looks like a very solid mid round selection, followed up by Mike White and Luke Falk.....that's 9 guys who look to have the chance to carve out a good career in the NFL. I like both Rudolph and Lauletta from the little i have seen of them, and with the lower expectations and pressure placed upon them being lower round selections, and the chance to maybe sit and learn from the sidelines, who knows, maybe they end up having the better long term careers than their more illustrious peers in this draft class.
The Following User Says Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

The same reason that the Jets paid so much for 3–there was another bidder (Buffalo). Miami, Arizona, and Baltimore are all interested in QBs.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM

Just wanted to weigh in again now that the situation has changed-

We are in the perfect spot now. Ballard can queue up a few situational trades, and based on the first 5 picks, he can pull the trigger on a pre-arranged trade, or pull the trigger on an elite non-QB talent.

I could make a nice flow chart for this on Excel, but here's what could happen- You've got 4 QB's that at least someone is already in love with. Darnold, Allen, Rosen, and Mayfield. It totally doesn't matter the order they are picked, it just matters how MANY of them are picked in the top 5.

If the first 5 picks are (order doesn't matter); the Colts will
QB1, QB2, QB3, QB4, and Barkley............take Chubb
QB1, QB2, QB3, QB4, and Chubb.............take Barkley

QB1, QB2, QB3, Barkley, Chubb...........Trade down, probably with the Bills, who would owe us the exact same ransom as the Jets paid us (or damn close to it) for the right to take the remaining QB. This is by far the best outcome, and I don't think it's that far-fetched. We could end up with 3 more picks (12 total), and still have a chance at Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Roquan Smith.

QB1, QB2, Barkley, Chubb, Nelson.........Same thing, trade down, except we will have double the potential trade partners since there will be 2 QB's on the board. Again, some GM out there would have taken 1 of those QB's with the FIRST overall pick if they had it.

In summary, I think the only 2 players we will actually select at #6 are Barkley or Chubb. If they are both off the board already, that would mean there is still at least one of the big 4 QB's available as trade bait, and I think we take advantage of that. I kind of doubt we would select Nelson or anyone else when we could acquire another 2 or 3 early picks.

No matter how you look at it, we are going to end up with SOMEONE who is the best at their position in the entire draft, along with a minimum of 3 2nd round picks, and a maximum of 5. We could plausibly draft an entire new starting offensive line in the 2018 2nd round.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

^^^ yep, that was a fantastic trade and we are sitting pretty!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:59 PM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

IND sends #6 overall (1,600 points).....

BUF sends #12 overall (1,200 points)
21st pick in 2nd round #53 overall (370 points)
21st pick in 4th round #121 overall (52 points)

IND 1,600 points vs BUF 1,622 points.

Is adding another 2nd round and 4th round pick worth it to move down 6 more spots?

We could demand one of their 3rd round picks for higher compensation (#32 in 3rd round #96 overall, 116 points) instead of the more appropriate 4th round pick.

Does adding a 2nd round and 3rd round pick worth it to move down 6 spots?

It feels like to me that we got GREAT value to move from 3 to 6. I don't know that dropping from #6 is going to reward in similar fashion.

#01 overall = 3,000 points
#02 overall = 2,600 points
#03 overall = 2,200 points
#04 overall = 1,800 points <== breakpoint
#05 overall = 1,700 points
#06 overall = 1,600 points
#07 overall = 1,500 points
#08 overall = 1,400 points
#09 overall = 1,350 points <== breakpoint
#10 overall = 1,300 points
#11 overall = 1,250 points
#12 overall = 1,200 points
#13 overall = 1,150 points
#14 overall = 1,100 points
#15 overall = 1,050 points
#16 overall = 1,000 points
#17 overall = 0,950 points
#18 overall = 0,900 points
#19 overall = 0,875 points <== breakpoint

The 100 point spread between #4 and #8 is worth about an early 4th round pick each step.

The 50 point spread between #9 and #18 are worth about a late 4th round pick each step.

The point being is that the first 3 picks of the draft FAR OUTWEIGHT the next 3 picks or beyond because of the much larger spread in points (400 points per step instead of 100 points per step).

We got GREAT value for the #3; we will not get nearly as much for the #6.

The key is how much better does the Colts management rate guys like Chubb, Barkley, Nelson and Fitzpatrick (the typical "elite" non-QB players of the 2018 draft) versus the next tier down?

How much of a drop off is it in their mind to go from the "Elite 4" to guys like DT Maurice Hurst, S Derwin James, DE Harold Landry, LB Roquan Smith, OT Mike McGlinchey or LB Tremaine Edmunds? All of them would fill a "need" on the Colts roster and they are typically thought of players who will be picked in the middle of the 1st round.

I am pretty much Chubb, Nelson or trade down and keep stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks. There are lots of guys in the middle or bottom of the 1st round that I really like. Not as much as Chubb or Nelson, but them PLUS someone else (some multiple someone elses)?

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

If there is somehow a top QB left at #6, the QB tax and draft day tax means that Buffalo needs to give us both their 1st round picks this year. Throw out the chart.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Swing4DaFences (03-21-2018), VeveJones007 (03-20-2018), YDFL Commish (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
If there is somehow a top QB left at #6, the QB tax and draft day tax means that Buffalo needs to give us both their 1st round picks this year. Throw out the chart.
This right here. Though I don’t think Sherk is saying it has to be that value—just gauging.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 PM

Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
^^^ yep, that was a fantastic trade and we are sitting pretty!
it was a fantastic trade

we just can't take at rb at 6
The Following User Says Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (03-21-2018)