ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 08:57 PM
Post whore

https://mobile.twitter.com/Colts/sta...98043168903168
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
I would hate Ballard coming out of FA without 1-2 OL starters. I don't want those to be high draft picks. You could maybe talk me in to Nelson at 6 (still a far distant alternative to Chubb for me), or definitely at trade down with Bills, but if this team is using the draft to collect average starting OL instead of playmakers at EDGE, LB, WR, I won't be a happy camper.
Not much left in FA, prepare to be unhappy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
Maniac (03-20-2018), njcoltfan (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Not much left in FA, prepare to be unhappy.
Not quite true. While there are no "sure fire, lock" starters left in the age range that Ballard has said that he wants to sign players (24 - 27 years old), there are some solid guys who could come in, compete to win the spot over Haeg, Good and Clark and improve the line.

OT Cameron Flemming, NE (2 year wonder without a ton of starting experience)
OG Jack Mewhort, IND (health issues; good starter when healthy)
OG Quinton Spain, TEN (RFA with only 1st right of refusal tag...no draft picks needed to poach him)
OG Jonathan Cooper, DAL (Career derailed by lots of injuries.)

Obviously, Matt Slauson is an immediate starter if signed but is well outside Ballard's target age range (turned 32 in Feb) and would be a short-term gap filler.

There is some help in free agency but we are going to have to rely on a combination of things happning for our O-Line to improve a lot in 2018:

1. Hopefully, better offensive scheme allowing for the ball to get out faster when pressure happens.
2. Hopefully, better offensive line coach who can get more out of folks.
3. Hopefully, a couple of the guys listed above signed to give better competition in training camp for starting spots.
4. Hopefully, at least 1 stud draftee who can come in and compete as well.
5. Hopefully, Andrew Luck's spidy sense has not left him to help avoid the pressure.

If a few of those things happen, then we should be in a better place in 2018 than 2017 with the offensive line.

Walk Worthy,
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 AM

There's a good possibility that the likes of Price, Hernandez, Wynn will still be available when we are selecting early in the 2nd round. Think we will struggle to find a starting calibre tackle at that point in the draft other than taking a big risk on Orlando Brown, but interior guys should still be available to choose from, and possibly more than one if Nelson isn't selected with our 1st rounder.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Thanked 1,195 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcolt View Post
There's a good possibility that the likes of Price, Hernandez, Wynn will still be available when we are selecting early in the 2nd round. Think we will struggle to find a starting calibre tackle at that point in the draft other than taking a big risk on Orlando Brown, but interior guys should still be available to choose from, and possibly more than one if Nelson isn't selected with our 1st rounder.
The only 2 OT prospects that I consistently see selected in the 1st round are Mike McGlinchey from ND and Conner Williams from Texas.

A fair number of the next tier of prospects (Orlando Brown, Jamarco Jones, Kolton Miller, Brian O'Neill or Tyrell Crosby) sometimes make it into the first round but are often picked in the 2nd round.

Chubb in the first followed by 2 of our 2nd round picks being an OG and an OT would be about my best dream scenario. Use the last of the 2nd round picks to select an athletic MLB who can cover and my dreams would come true.

I think Ballard is going to be pretty active in free agency so that desire could change for me but I think there are going to be a lot of attractive O-Line prospects at the top of the 2nd round.

Walk Worthy,
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Not quite true. While there are no "sure fire, lock" starters left in the age range that Ballard has said that he wants to sign players (24 - 27 years old), there are some solid guys who could come in, compete to win the spot over Haeg, Good and Clark and improve the line.

OT Cameron Flemming, NE (2 year wonder without a ton of starting experience)
OG Jack Mewhort, IND (health issues; good starter when healthy)
OG Quinton Spain, TEN (RFA with only 1st right of refusal tag...no draft picks needed to poach him)
OG Jonathan Cooper, DAL (Career derailed by lots of injuries.)

Obviously, Matt Slauson is an immediate starter if signed but is well outside Ballard's target age range (turned 32 in Feb) and would be a short-term gap filler.
You could have just said "scraps", because that's what's left.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:11 AM
testcase448

Ton of cap space wasted...
But early draft pick next year.
Maybe we can pick up a franchise QB after Luck is killed about game 4
Perhaps they're happy with Jacoby?

Folks, next year is going to be rough
Old 03-20-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

We got grant

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
It’s 1-year and $5M for Grant. After the physical issue in Baltimore, he’s going to prove it for a year
Old 03-20-2018, 05:41 PM

Eric Reid is still unsigned, he is one of the best safeties in the NFL, but has had an issue with his stand alongside Colin Kaepernick, which seems to be the main reason why he still hasn't been signed. He would be an immediate improvement to the team. But sounds like from what i have read he has been black balled by the owners. Just get the best players on to the team.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
The only 2 OT prospects that I consistently see selected in the 1st round are Mike McGlinchey from ND and Conner Williams from Texas.

A fair number of the next tier of prospects (Orlando Brown, Jamarco Jones, Kolton Miller, Brian O'Neill or Tyrell Crosby) sometimes make it into the first round but are often picked in the 2nd round.

Chubb in the first followed by 2 of our 2nd round picks being an OG and an OT would be about my best dream scenario. Use the last of the 2nd round picks to select an athletic MLB who can cover and my dreams would come true.

I think Ballard is going to be pretty active in free agency so that desire could change for me but I think there are going to be a lot of attractive O-Line prospects at the top of the 2nd round.

Walk Worthy,
That is my wet dream also, 36 & 37 best available guard and tackle, 49 best available middle backer, 3rd pick best available CB, the rest of the draft RB, DT and edge rushers !!!