ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-25-2020, 01:47 PM

Thanked 1,260 Times in 720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by albany ed View Post
Not only was I not familiar with Edge, I didn't know of any RW problems. I only knew of his awesome career at Texas. When they passed on Ricky, I still felt, well if you don't want him, then trade with Ditka who was offering the world for him.
Yeah, while Edge over RW was the correct move I still wish BP had extended Faulk and traded the pick to the Saints for their next 2 drafts. We could have traded back up a couple of spots and picked Champ Bailey or stayed put and drafted Torry Holt. Then reloaded just about everywhere else with the ridiculous amounts of picks we would have had.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Yeah, I remember that very well. I was fit to be tied, I thought there was no way we weren't taking Williams. Shows you how much I fucking know, basically nothing.

The other draft I remember was when the Colts didn't take Dilfer. Mel Kiper was very critical of the Colts for not taking him. I was too, but Dilfer didn't turn out to be a very good QB.

So yes, you need to trust!
To be fair to you and Kiper, Dilfer had a much better NFL career than Trev Alberts did
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Spike (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:46 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Yeah, while Edge over RW was the correct move I still wish BP had extended Faulk and traded the pick to the Saints for their next 2 drafts. We could have traded back up a couple of spots and picked Champ Bailey or stayed put and drafted Torry Holt. Then reloaded just about everywhere else with the ridiculous amounts of picks we would have had.
He couldn't extend Faulk. Faulk wanted to be the focus, and that's not how that offense needed to be run. Faulk would take too many negative plays trying to bust the big one, while Edge would go get 3 yards to keep things moving forward. Edge didnt get pissy if Manning would pull the ball on play action and throw deep to Marvin.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:47 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
Well you know all that research they do...
SOME do.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
He couldn't extend Faulk. Faulk wanted to be the focus, and that's not how that offense needed to be run. Faulk would take too many negative plays trying to bust the big one, while Edge would go get 3 yards to keep things moving forward. Edge didnt get pissy if Manning would pull the ball on play action and throw deep to Marvin.
I don't remember Faulk being a problem, but being over 20 years ago you could be right. I did read recently that BP said he really wanted to keep Faulk and draft Champ Bailey, but that Faulk was going to hold out for a new contract and BP wouldn't be able to make that work with the Colts cap situation. Of course we spent a ton reloading in FA that year and Edge got a big rookie deal as well, so that could be selective memory on BP's part.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:12 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
I don't remember Faulk being a problem, but being over 20 years ago you could be right. I did read recently that BP said he really wanted to keep Faulk and draft Champ Bailey, but that Faulk was going to hold out for a new contract and BP wouldn't be able to make that work with the Colts cap situation. Of course we spent a ton reloading in FA that year and Edge got a big rookie deal as well, so that could be selective memory on BP's part.

He wasnt a problem other than he wanted to renegotiate his contract with 2 years left. Polian refused to do so let Faulk go and drafted Edge.

Last edited by Luck4Reich; 01-26-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:54 PM
Post whore

Quote:
It's about the team. Give the ball to faulk on 1st and ten and if the hole wasnt there he would bob and weave and take a 3 yard loss. Now it's on Manning to go fix it.

You give Edge the ball on first down and fights to get 3 yards. Now it's second and 7 and the QB doesn't need to pull it out of his ass. Edge would get you 3 yards falling out of bed and NEVER bitched about getting the ball.

He played a year with TWO high ankle sprains. He bitched about not getting his bonus, but he made every freaking game. Thats why Jim payed him his bonus, he played every game and played for the team
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (01-26-2020), Racehorse (01-26-2020), YDFL Commish (01-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 11:57 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
It's about the team. Give the ball to faulk on 1st and ten and if the hole wasnt there he would bob and weave and take a 3 yard loss. Now it's on Manning to go fix it.

You give Edge the ball on first down and fights to get 3 yards. Now it's second and 7 and the QB doesn't need to pull it out of his ass. Edge would get you 3 yards falling out of bed and NEVER bitched about getting the ball.

He played a year with TWO high ankle sprains. He bitched about not getting his bonus, but he made every freaking game. Thats why Jim payed him his bonus, he played every game and played for the team
Do you guys remember the offense that Faulk was a part of with the Rams? I loved Edge but Faulk was every bit as valuable to an offense as he was. Just a different kind of back, not really an in between the tackles type of guy. If there was an issue with him in that offense it was on our coaching staff and how they used him, not on his ability. He tore it up in LA and they took home the trophy.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Do you guys remember the offense that Faulk was a part of with the Rams? I loved Edge but Faulk was every bit as valuable to an offense as he was. Just a different kind of back, not really an in between the tackles type of guy. If there was an issue with him in that offense it was on our coaching staff and how they used him, not on his ability. He tore it up in LA and they took home the trophy.
St Louis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I don't recall it that way. Faulk wanted to renegotiate his contract and stated that he would hold out to get it, like Emmet Smith did. Polian just wouldn't deal with that attitude and shipped him off for very cheap. In his last year with the Colts, he rushed for over 1,300 yards and had over 900 yards receiving. He was only 25 years old. Had they kept him, then traded with Ditka for a shit load of draft choices, I believe they could have become dominant within 2 years. I loved Edge, but he's one man, and he didn't play defense.