ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts
Default Senior Bowl Discussion

I thought I would start a thread on the senior bowl since our front office loves to draft guys that do well at it. I'll post articles I come across and my thoughts on the tidbits I catch. If you want to watch some practices they will be on the NFL network in the afternoon of this week.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-for-patriots

Quote:
MOBILE, Ala. -- With Reese's Senior Bowl practices getting underway on Tuesday, 100-plus prospects for the 2020 NFL Draft are in the midst of a crucial job interview. NFL.com's Lance Zierlein and Chase Goodbread provide a look at standouts from Day 1, as well as notes from the player media day held on Tuesday.

Tune in for one-hour 2020 Senior Bowl Practice recap shows Tuesday, Jan. 21-Thursday, Jan. 23 at 8 p.m. ET on NFL Network and watch the Senior Bowl game live on NFL Network as well as the NFL and Network apps at 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 25.

Five stars from Day 1 of Senior Bowl practice
Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina. Kinlaw was ruining people during Tuesday's practice. His length and size were just too much for the competition, and he played with a lot of momentum. He projects as a first-round pick. The question is, how early will he be picked in the opening stanza? He measured 6-foot-5 and 315 pounds with an 84-inch wingspan on Tuesday morning, so just walking across the stage at the weigh-in pushed him up the board. This guy has some rare physical traits. If he convinces teams he can rush the passer during the pre-draft process, he can push himself toward the first half of Round 1.

Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic. No one could guard Bryant out here. When I watched his tape from the 2019 season opener against Ohio State (6 catches for 79 yards), it was easy to see that he can play against high-level talent. He did the same thing at practice on Tuesday. In one-on-one matchups, he dominated. He can split out wide, play him from the slot, in-line or at H-back. I think he's going to keep making himself money and lock in as a top-40 pick.

Jason Strowbridge, DE, North Carolina. All I could think of standing next to Bill Belichick on the sideline on Tuesday while watching Strowbridge was Deatrich Wise. The former Tar Heel looks like a Patriots pass rusher. Wise went to the Pats in the fourth round in 2017. A lot of times you'll see guys with traits who are kind of raw go in that round, and Strowbridge might fit that mold. He's tough. He's physical. And he helped himself on Tuesday. His North team is being coached this week by the Lions' Matt Patricia, Belichick's former D-coordinator. So who knows? Maybe Detroit and New England will both be targeting him come April.

Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin. I knew coming into this week, based on my tape study, that Baun can dip and rip and get around the corner. I wanted to see him use counters this week, and on Tuesday, he had a spin counter that was fantastic. He played on the line and off the ball during practice, showing his versatility. I expected him to have a good week and I think he's off to a really good start.

Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty. Gandy-Golden had some moments on the Ladd-Peebles Stadium field today. He showed he belonged. That's the one thing you want to see right off the bat with a small-school guy like him. You could tell that he was not intimidated by the big stage. I was really impressed by the way he blocked, too.

-- Lance Zierlein

MEDIA DAY: What we learned from Zac Taylor, Justin Herbert and more
Bengals coach understanding of Burrow's absence. As much as the Cincinnati Bengals might have liked to spend a week coaching former LSU QB Joe Burrow at the Senior Bowl, coach Zac Taylor wasn't at all put off by Burrow's decision to pass on an invitation. The length of LSU's run to win a College Football Playoff national championship, Taylor noted, made his absence unsurprising. LSU went 15-0 and knocked off Clemson for the title just eight days ago.

"I certainly understand -- I mean, the guy just played an NFL season. There is still plenty of time to get to know all the players in the draft before April rolls around," Taylor said on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl's media day event. "... To go undefeated, win the national championship, be the leader he is, that stuff is really impressive. He certainly has a lot of great traits, things you get excited about as a coach. (We're) still going through the evaluation process with him, just like all the quarterbacks here."

The Bengals hold the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft, and Burrow's demolition of LSU opponents in leading the NCAA's top-ranked offense (568 yards per game) has generated heavy speculation that Cincinnati could make him the top selection. Taylor addressed a report that the Bengals have no intention of trading the selection by saying that no decisions have been made.

Herbert takes on leadership questions. Oregon's Justin Herbert is using the Senior Bowl week as an opportunity to flip the perception that he's overly quiet and, therefore, not what some NFL clubs might look for in a face-of-franchise quarterback. It's a label he doesn't accept.

"I think people are worried about leadership and me being a pretty quiet guy," Herbert said. "I would say I'm not too quiet, and unfortunately, I'll talk your ear off. ... I think early in my career I was a pretty quiet guy. I was shy, but as the years went on, I kind of stepped out of my comfort zone. I forced myself to be uncomfortable and kind of found myself and where I fit in the offense."

Herbert is the top prospect in Mobile this week, according to Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy. The Cincinnati Bengals will coach Herbert on the South squad, giving head coach Zac Taylor and his staff an up-close look at Herbert's assertiveness not only on the field, but in team meetings as well. Taylor extolled that advantage Monday, saying it's a perspective other NFL clubs can't get just from Senior Bowl interviews.

Hurts on Hurts. What does Jalen Hurts offer NFL clubs that Joe Burrow doesn't? The South squad quarterback wasn't going there when asked to compare himself with the former LSU star who is widely expected to be the first QB selected in the draft.

"I don't want to get into comparisons or things like that. That's kind of like the kiss of death," Hurts said. "I think I try and be the best version of myself. ... Keep your head down and go to work -- everybody has an opinion, and rightfully so, but I control what I can control. My effort, my mindset, my mental approach to handle my business."

Truth is, the two aren't much alike as prospects. Burrow stands 6-foot-4 and is more of a pure passer, although he proved to be dangerous as a runner in 2019 as well. Hurts measured at 6-foot-1 at the Senior Bowl on Tuesday and brings a resume as a rusher like no other quarterback in Mobile this week. He ran for 1,298 yards at OU last year and has over 3,000 for his college career, with a strong lower body that translates for both power and speed. According to an AFC scout, accuracy and ball placement are the traits Hurts needs to show most in Senior Bowl practices.

Loving Mahomes. Former Utah State QB Jordan Love said Kansas City Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is his favorite quarterback to watch in the NFL today, and relishes comparisons between himself and the new AFC champion QB, as you might expect from any prospect mentioned with a reigning NFL MVP.

"Both (of us) have strong arms. He obviously can make some ridiculous throws, off-schedule (throws) and stuff like that," Love said. "It's something I've seen and tried out with my game, being able to make throws like that. I hope to be on the same platform as him."

One area where the two don't compare at all is hand size. Mahomes' measured at 9 1/4 inches at the 2017 NFL Scouting Combine, considered acceptable but on the small side by NFL scouts who value larger hands in quarterbacks for ball security reasons. Love had the biggest hands of any quarterback at the Senior Bowl, measuring 10 5/8 inches.

Love struggled last season in throwing an FBS-high 17 interceptions in a season of adjustments, as he lost most of his key targets from a prolific 2018 season and played under a new coaching staff in 2019. Love said he forced the ball downfield too often last year in certain situations, and believes it will be crucial for him this week to show scouts he can make smarter decisions and read the field effectively.

LATEST ANALYSIS
▶ Jeremiah mock draft 1.0
▶ Unsung hero for each AFC team
▶ Landing spots for Rivers
Kinlaw likes Panthers. The aforementioned Javon Kinlaw got a strong vibe from the Carolina Panthers after meeting with new coach Matt Rhule and other club staffers on Sunday evening.

"I know they like me, for sure. A whole lot," said the former South Carolina defensive tackle. "They have some free agency guys (on the defensive line), so I definitely feel like I could go in there and make something happen."

Nagy called Kinlaw likely the second-best draft prospect in Mobile this week, behind Herbert.

Dugger staying at safety? Lenoir-Rhyne S Kyle Dugger said he was initially told by Nagy to be prepared to be asked to participate in some linebacker drills this week, but is beginning to wonder if it will happen.

"I haven't heard any more about it, so right now it looks like I'll just be at safety," he said.

At a shade under 6-foot-1 and 217 pounds, Dugger was massive for a Division-II safety and is considered one of the top D-II players in Mobile this week. His size and power as a tackler have led some scouts to consider him more of a hybrid linebacker who could play effectively in coverage against running backs and tight ends on passing downs.

Extra points. Auburn OT Prince Tega Wanogho is one of several players who were withheld from the game following their physical examinations upon arrival. Wanogho said fluid in his knee caused some swelling and forced him to sit out the week, but he intends remain in Mobile to interview with clubs and attend South team meetings. ... Alabama DL Raekwon Davis was a late withdrawal from the Senior Bowl due to an ankle injury.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-22-2020), Puck (01-22-2020), Racehorse (01-22-2020), Spike (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:33 PM
Post whore

Todd Mcshay talking about the first day

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/i...ft-risers-more

Quote:
The first practices of the 2020 Senior Bowl, an invite-only showcase of the top upperclassmen in the country, are in the books.

With one session down for each team, NFL draft experts Todd McShay and Steve Muench break down how the best prospects fared on Day 1, which under-the-radar prospects are rising and more. Ten participants in last year's event ended up being 2019 first-round picks. Who might join them in 2020?

Tune in for coverage of the rest of the workouts on Wednesday and Thursday at 1:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU/ESPN App. The game is Saturday at 2:30 p.m. ET on NFL Network.

McSHAY'S QUARTERBACK REPORT
Let's look at how the signal-callers did on Day 1 (rankings are from Scouts Inc.):

Justin Herbert, Oregon
Team: South | QB ranking: 3

Herbert is very clearly the most talented quarterback on the field, and that's going to work in his favor. The Senior Bowl is a great opportunity for him to stand out and firmly entrench himself as a first-rounder. On Tuesday, he looked natural with his footwork, showcased some athleticism and was consistently accurate. Throw in his 6-foot-6, 227-pound size and 10-inch hands, and you can see why scouts like his physical traits.

Jordan Love, Utah State
Team: North | QB ranking: 6

My early impression is that Love stands to benefit from this week as much as anyone else on the field. Some scouts still think he might have Round 1 potential, and he performed well in Day 1 workouts. He moves well, extending plays and effectively throwing on the run. And he certainly has a good arm and isn't afraid to use it. I'd like to see him work on consistency and protecting the football, though. He takes risks. But you can see the talent, and I'm excited to see how he performs the rest of the week.

Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma
Team: South | QB ranking: 9

Senior Bowl preview: 2020 NFL draft prospects you need to know
Hurts is smart, possesses a good arm and is super athletic. But he just has to be more accurate. His ball placement was very inconsistent Tuesday -- as it was during the season -- and frankly, it's a difficult area to improve. He ended his season with a 15-of-31 performance in the College Football Playoff semifinal, and he picked right up where he left off in his first Senior Bowl workout. I love the way he competes and battles, but that accuracy issue is going to hold him back.

Anthony Gordon, Washington State
Team: North | QB ranking: 8

I didn't see as many reps from Gordon as I would have liked on Tuesday, but he missed some throws and seemed to be playing a little fast at times. I do like his game, but he really needs to find a rhythm over the next few days. When he settles in, the Day 3 quarterback has some game.

Steven Montez, Colorado
Team: South | QB ranking: 13

Montez has a big arm. But while he can drive the ball vertically, he is often late on timing throws. Rather than anticipating, he wants to see his target open or facing him before throwing. That's an issue. He has good 6-foot-4, 240-pound size, but his feet looked slow during drills. And when going through his progressions, his feet aren't always tied to his eyes, leading to some off-balance throws.

Shea Patterson, Michigan
Team: North | QB ranking: 16

Patterson's 6-foot-1 size was pretty surprising to me (he is listed as 6-2 at Michigan). It's not the end-all, be-all, but it's worth noting. He went through some ups and downs on Tuesday, missing some easy throws. I'd like to see him tighten that up as the week goes on. He is a Day 3 guy at this point.

DAY 1 DRAFT RISERS
These are the under-the-radar prospects who had a strong day of practice Tuesday and whose college tape deserves closer inspection:

Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas
Team: South

Duvernay's top-end speed is decent, but it was his quickness in getting off the line and then transitioning upfield after the catch that really stood out all day long. He was consistently open and looked very natural making the catch and then turning and going. Duvernay is undersized at 5-foot-11, but make no mistake: He produces. He hauled in 106 balls for 1,386 yards and nine touchdowns this season. A likely midrounder in April, Duvernay was really fun to watch on Tuesday. -- McShay

2020 NFL draft coverage

What you need to know:
• First-round draft order: Picks 1-28 »
• McShay's 2020 NFL Mock Draft 1.0 »
• Kiper's Big Board » | McShay's Top 32 »
• First Draft podcast » | 32 draft nuggets »
• Full draft rankings from Scouts Inc. »
More NFL draft coverage »

Davon Hamilton, DT, Ohio State
Team: North

For a guy who came in at 327 pounds, Hamilton looked quick, carrying his weight well in practice. He got into blockers, driving them back and redefining the line of scrimmage. He particularly stood out in one-on-one drills both against the run and as a pass-rusher. While Hamilton definitely has some room to grow as a hand-fighter, you can see he has violent hands and good snap. He's someone to keep an eye on. -- Muench

Troy Pride Jr., CB, Notre Dame
Team: North

Plain and simple, no one could run past him all day. Pride has tremendous speed, and it was on full display in Mobile on Tuesday. I have him as a Day 2 guy right now, and he's someone to watch. -- McShay

Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
Team: South

Kinlaw was unblockable Tuesday -- the most impressive defensive lineman I saw. He has length and quick hands, and he's really tough to stop coming through the middle. Kinlaw beat Clemson guard John Simpson clean at one point. We have him ranked No. 14 at Scouts Inc. right now, and he looked every bit the part of an early first-rounder. -- Muench

QUICK HITTERS
Here are some additional scouting notes on players who stood out on the practice field:

McShay:

I love the talent of Wisconsin outside linebacker Zack Baun. He measured at 6-foot-2, 240 pounds, and he is quicker than he is given credit for. Baun is a really instinctive player, and you could see it on Tuesday. I have him as an early Day 2 pick right now.

James Proche, a wide receiver out of SMU, stood out for me. He looked great catching punts, exuding natural ability and lots of confidence.

UCLA cornerback Darnay Holmes had a really good Tuesday workout. He is flying under the radar a bit after dealing with some injuries this season, but he has some serious wheels.

Georgia Southern cornerback Kindle Vildor was sticky in man-to-man coverage on Tuesday and tracks the vertical ball very well. Not many people knew him coming in, but he stands to make a name for himself this week. He had a big interception downfield and then another on a tipped ball.

Lamical Perine runs behind his shoulder pads. I saw it during the Orange Bowl, and I saw it again Tuesday at practice. He is a bit small, but the Florida running back has good forward lean and always finishes falling forward.

Muench:

South Carolina State's Alex Taylor and St. Johns (Minnesota)'s Ben Bartch went through some ups and downs on Day 1, but they also competed. For a couple of lesser-known, small-school guys, Tuesday was a good jumping-off point. I'm excited to see how these Day 3 value picks perform the rest of the week.

Temple center Matt Hennessy was steady Tuesday. He won't wow you with power and lacks natural ability, and he was beaten a few times. But he gets into position and is the definition of making the most of what you've got.

Penn State defensive tackle Robert Windsor is a candidate to rise this week. Despite being a little heavier than expected, he showed good quickness. I'm keeping a close eye on the midrounder right through the weekend.

Overall, I felt the defensive line got the better of the offensive side in the trenches Tuesday. I'd characterize the offensive line play as choppy, with too many offside jumps. Both team's units need to jell a bit this week and get in sync.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 PM
Post whore

So it obviously will be important to watch the QB's this week. I think Herbert, Hurts, Love, and Gordan are all potentials picks if they go QB. At least there is a good chance his first name starts with a J.

If we don't go QB, another J name is Javon Kinlaw and my top choice. I think he will show off what he has got this week. Huge at 6-6, athletic, and disruptive. He doesn't have a ton of sacks but he always seems to blow up plays. Equally disruptive against the run and pass. I almost like him better than Brown who I see as more of a run plugger; kind of like Suh. I think Kinlaw will bring great pressure up the middle as a 3-tech and will be a nitemare for guys to block. Ballard talked about the pressure up the middle being the driving force in this style defense and that starts with a good 3-tech. So you know Ballard is thinking about the position. If we like him, we might becareful of teams trading above us to get him. There is some fall-off after him and you are looking at guys later in the 2nd round. Carolina and Denver have shown an interest in him.

I also like Duverney, the Texas WR in the later rounds. I have been following him all season. His coaches were raving about his hands in spring practices and they said he had the best hands on the team and maybe in the whole conference. He has great short area quickness and runs great routes causing separation. But his long speed is only decent. What I really like about him is his toughness, the guy runs like a running back and is thickly built for the rigors of the NFL. When they played LSU early in the year he took on Grant Delpit, one of the top safeties this year, and he hit Delpit so hard I think he almost knocked him out. Delpit tried to tackle him and Duverney knocked him to the ground.

Thing is, he mainly works out of the slot, Cambell's spot, and he isn't an athletic freak. But I like him and I think he represents a toughness and steadiness they could use in the WR core.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Pez (01-23-2020), Racehorse (01-22-2020), Spike (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:09 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

I really like Javon Kinlaw. I think he could be the kind of guy added to this Defense that would put the D well on it's way to a top 10 Defense. Obviously adding some more strength to the secondary along with that.

Kinlaw is a game destroyer for opposing offense.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
apballin (01-22-2020), Chromeburn (01-22-2020), Pez (01-23-2020), Puck (01-22-2020), Racehorse (01-22-2020), Spike (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:54 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

From everything I've seen/read so far I would be ecstatic with either Kinlaw, Herbert or Lamb at #13. I know that Lamb isn't in the Senior Bowl...But I would still be happy just the same.

Actually, Jeudy would be fine at #13 as well.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
From everything I've seen/read so far I would be ecstatic with either Kinlaw, Herbert or Lamb at #13. I know that Lamb isn't in the Senior Bowl...But I would still be happy just the same.

Actually, Jeudy would be fine at #13 as well.
I would be fine with any of the top guys really. Kinlaw seems like a realistic possibility, one of the LT's, maybe one of the top 7-8 drop, I hate to take a WR so high but Jeudy and Lamb look like franchise WR's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (01-23-2020)