ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

View Poll Results: With the third pick...
Barkley 7 14.29%
Chubb 17 34.69%
Nelson 3 6.12%
Trade back 21 42.86%
Other 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2018, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Still want this guy somehow ... Watched most games this year and he is one nasty basterd

Quenton Nelson, 6'5" 330# OG, Notre Dame

Nelson lined up at left guard for the Irish this past season and that is where he projects at the next level. He has a thick, hulking build -- and he's the nastiest offensive line prospect I've ever evaluated. In the run game, he is quick out of his stance and has the ability to completely wash opposing players down the line of scrimmage. He rolls his hips on contact, locks on with a powerful grip and doesn't let up until he's finished the job. Nelson is very effective when he works up to the second level on combo blocks and pulls. He can adjust in space and he blocks through the whistle consistently. In pass protection, Nelson possesses an immediate anchor vs. power rushers and effortlessly handles twists and stunts. Overall, Nelson has all of the tools to be the best run blocker in the NFL and he'll be reliable in pass protection. He's the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class.
Racehorse (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I know nothing about this kid, but a huge fast MLB sounds awesome. Just a moderately fast one who knows how to wrap up when tackling sounds great.
maybe but isn't this kid still a bit of a question mark? He had one great year.

I'm still gonna beat the Shaquem Griffin drum when thinking of LBs. He's another one to watch in the Senior Bowl
Old 01-24-2018, 11:34 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
Still want this guy somehow ... Watched most games this year and he is one nasty basterd

Quenton Nelson, 6'5" 330# OG, Notre Dame

Nelson lined up at left guard for the Irish this past season and that is where he projects at the next level. He has a thick, hulking build -- and he's the nastiest offensive line prospect I've ever evaluated. In the run game, he is quick out of his stance and has the ability to completely wash opposing players down the line of scrimmage. He rolls his hips on contact, locks on with a powerful grip and doesn't let up until he's finished the job. Nelson is very effective when he works up to the second level on combo blocks and pulls. He can adjust in space and he blocks through the whistle consistently. In pass protection, Nelson possesses an immediate anchor vs. power rushers and effortlessly handles twists and stunts. Overall, Nelson has all of the tools to be the best run blocker in the NFL and he'll be reliable in pass protection. He's the easiest player to evaluate in this draft class.
Who's evaluation is that?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post

I'm still gonna beat the Shaquem Griffin drum when thinking of LBs. He's another one to watch in the Senior Bowl
He is a complete question mark to me, I just like the big and fast thing. History has of course shown athletic freaks don't always transition well to the NFL where athleticism alone is not enough.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
He is a complete question mark to me, I just like the big and fast thing. History has of course shown athletic freaks don't always transition well to the NFL where athleticism alone is not enough.
Griffen was a one man wrecking crew vs Auburn. He either has great instincts, or was guessing right almost every play, because he was usually on the ball in a heartbeat.

If we go to a 4-3, I would take a chance on him in the 4th to 5th round as WILL.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:54 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

is that the one handed dude?
Old 01-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
I know nothing about this kid, but a huge fast MLB sounds awesome. Just a moderately fast one who knows how to wrap up when tackling sounds great.
Mac prospects don't really get press till close to draft time. I want to see how he does at the combine first, but supposedly he is 6'4 and will run around a 4.65 40. He might not be a sideline to sideline LB, but he has good instincts and is pretty good in coverage. He, right now, is a likely late first to late second prospect. I saw some having him as a middle rounds at best, but I don't think they have watched any tape or saw him in action. He will have some growing and adjusting to do, but the potential is there. If he has a good combine, I expect him to rise to middle first at best bc that combo of size speed is rare. If he does well he will also start getting buzz with mainstream media. The reason I picked him out is he reminds me of a Bobby Wagner play style with better height, and with all the ex Seahawks staff we have in the front office I bet they have noticed him too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post

He's a junior, most players don't really start and produce consistently till junior year. Plus he played 8 man football in high school. The schools aren't big enough out in those Montana Idaho boondock towns. For linebackers that wouldn't worry me as much than for say a WR or QB. For linebackers you either have it or not; hit, shed, run, tackle, one of the easier positions to evaluate. This seems to be a pretty good draft for linebackers.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-24-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Who's evaluation is that?
I don't recall where I found it, however I watched most ND games personally and would say it is very accurate ...
Old 01-24-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
is that the one handed dude?
Yes, that's him.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:12 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Griffen was a one man wrecking crew vs Auburn. He either has great instincts, or was guessing right almost every play, because he was usually on the ball in a heartbeat.

If we go to a 4-3, I would take a chance on him in the 4th to 5th round as WILL.
I watched UCF all season (it's where I work) and while he stepped it up in the bowl game (just like you'd expect a senior to do), he's played like that all year. He's in on virtually every play, either disrupting things in the backfield, or making/assisting the tackle downfield.