ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 11-13-2020, 12:22 AM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts
Default 2 Failures that Might Have Broken the Colts Tonight, but Didn't

o

In the 1st half, the Colts came away with 0 points on their first possession of the game after going for it on 4th down deep in Titans territory.

In the 2nd half, the Colts failed to score on 4th and goal from the 1 yard-line on their opening drive ...... but the Colts' defense held the Titans deep in their own territory, and allowed the offense to have great field position to put it in the end zone soon afterward anyway.

These are the kinds of things that can often break a bad or average team within the scope of a single game, but good teams will more often than not overcome them. I'm not necessarily proclaiming the 2020 Colts to be a good team, but it certainly was reassuring for me as a fan of theirs to see them have 2 potentially very big failures in a crucial game and still find a way to be patient, not panic, and outplay their opponent for the victory.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
JAFF (11-13-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

In the 1st half, the Colts came away with 0 points on their first possession of the game after going for it on 4th down deep in Titans territory.

In the 2nd half, the Colts failed to score on 4th and goal from the 1 yard-line on their opening drive ...... but the Colts' defense held the Titans deep in their own territory, and allowed the offense to have great field position to put it in the end zone soon afterward anyway.

These are the kinds of things that can often break a bad or average team within the scope of a single game, but good teams will more often than not overcome them. I'm not necessarily proclaiming the 2020 Colts to be a good team, but it certainly was reassuring for me as a fan of theirs to see them have 2 potentially very big failures in a crucial game and still find a way to be patient, not panic, and outplay their opponent for the victory.

o
o

(1 Weeks Later, vs. PACKERS)

Wow ....... there were numerous situations this week which might have turned the Colts back. And I admit, when the Packers went up by 14 points TWICE in the first half, I was pretty worried.

The fumble early in the first quarter, immediately after our own defense caused one of their own.

The missed 50-yard field goal attempt, which was arguably a 10-point swing. In addition to not getting the 3 points, the miss gave the Packers a short field and helped them drive for a touchdown.

The ensuing INT on the Colts' next possession, which Rodgers and company converted into another TD and a 14-point lead.

The Packers TD just before halftime to reclaim a 14-point lead (aided by a pass-interference call on a bomb.)

And of course, the failure of the offense to put the game away late in regulation ...... all of the holding calls and incomplete passes allowed the Packers to save one of their timeouts. Plus, the Colts had a field goal in their pocket which they blew by going backwards. That allowed Rodgers and the Pack to only need a field goal to tie the game (as opposed to needing a touchdown if the Colts had had a 6-point lead.)

Finally, just losing the coin-flip in OT sank the hearts of many Colts fans, as they projected the likelihood of Aaron Rodgers methodically working his offense down-field for the winning TD.

The Colts stood tall through all of that, and still had the intestinal fortitude to find a way to come away with the win.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (10-26-2021), Racehorse (11-23-2020), Spike (11-23-2020), TheMugwump (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:07 PM
Historian

o

This is how big of a trick that the Colts pulled against the Packers ...... Aaron Rodgers is 96-4 when his team leads by 14 or more points.

Rodgers is 95-2 against every other team besides the Colts ...... but he is 1-2 against the Colts with those 14-plus point leads !!! )

SOURCES: ) ESPN News Services. Also Jim Ayello and Joel E. Erickson of the Indy Star

o

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (10-26-2021), TheMugwump (11-23-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:54 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

AND the Packers have still never won in Indy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (11-23-2020), JAFF (11-23-2020), Puck (10-26-2021), Racehorse (11-23-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 08:02 PM
Historian

o

(vs. RAIDERS, 12/13)

There was a non-call early in the game on what appeared to be a pass interference on the Raiders. At the time, some Colts fans were wringing their hands at the potential implications/momentum swing of a play like that.

Fortunately, the Colts did what good teams often do ...... they didn't get flustered and/or look to that questionable call as an excuse, they kept their bodies and minds in the present, and they outplayed their opponent after that unfortunate situation for the victory.

o

Old 10-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Historian

o

(vs. 49ers, 10/24)

1) ) The Colts' defense gave up a touchdown on a disastrous opening drive of the game.

2) ) The Colts' offense fumbled the ball away deep in their own territory on their first play from scrimmage immediately after that opening drive touchdown.

In danger of going down by a score of 13-0, the defense bore down and held the 49ers to a field goal to minimize the damage ...... down by a score of 9-0 only 7 minutes into the game, the Colts outscored the 49ers 30-9 the rest of the way to give them a desperately-needed 2nd consecutive win which kept them within striking distance of the 1st-place Titans.

o

Last edited by Colts And Orioles; 10-26-2021 at 02:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-26-2021), Spike (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 05:33 PM

Thanked 1,550 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(vs. 49ers, 10/24)

1) ) The Colts' defense gave up a touchdown on a disastrous opening drive of the game.

2) ) The Colts' offense fumbled the ball away deep in their own territory on their first play from scrimmage immediately after that opening drive touchdown.

In danger of going down by a score of 13-0, the defense bore down and held the 49ers to a field goal to minimize the damage ...... down by a score of 9-0 only 7 minutes into the game, the Colts outscored the 49ers 30-9 the rest of the way to give them a desperately-needed 2nd consecutive win which kept them within striking distance of the 1st-place Titans.

o
Great post.

I would add a third failure that might have broken the Colts (especially in light of the collapse two weeks ago at Baltimore). With 14:18 left in the game, and San Fran down by one score (20-12), they slashed through Indy's defense to the tune of 70 yards in three plays for a touchdown to set up a potential tying two-point conversion. That conversion was the climax of the game, and after stopping it, the drives went Indy FG, 49ers Intercepted, Indy TD, 49ers Intercepted, Indy punt, 49ers sacked, end of game. If that conversion is successful, well, it may not have just been the fans having nightmares about a repeat from 13 days prior.

Instead, they refused to be broken, and they won going away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheMugwump For This Useful Post:
apballin (10-26-2021), CletusPyle (10-26-2021), Colts And Orioles (10-27-2021), Racehorse (10-26-2021), Spike (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 07:50 PM

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,543 Posts

Did anyone ever explain why the Colts did not get a safety on the punt? I know what the refs said, but was that really a muff?
Old 10-26-2021, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Great thread C&O.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
Did anyone ever explain why the Colts did not get a safety on the punt? I know what the refs said, but was that really a muff?
Accidental kick into endzone. I wasnt even drinking but my wife thought I was nuts yelling for safety. And she knows I have never been wrong before
CletusPyle (10-26-2021)