ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-28-2023, 10:06 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Whether this is true or not, I will repeat my earlier "shit" take!

Ballard needs to try to fix this, unless JT has a career threatening injury that he is trying to hide by getting into this contract dispute, he needs to at least attempt to talk some sense into JT! If JT does suit up and give full effort and have some really good performances and the team has some level of success, he should be offered a fair extension above just franchising him twice which is what I think he is afraid will happen!
Spike (10-02-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
Whether this is true or not, I will repeat my earlier "shit" take!

Ballard needs to try to fix this, unless JT has a career threatening injury that he is trying to hide by getting into this contract dispute, he needs to at least attempt to talk some sense into JT! If JT does suit up and give full effort and have some really good performances and the team has some level of success, he should be offered a fair extension above just franchising him twice which is what I think he is afraid will happen!
I’m sure Ballard has tried to fix this and talk logic and reality with JT. Every indication is JT isn’t interested. All indications are that JT wouldn’t be happy with a contract just above the two franchise numbers. He wants to push the RB market higher. That’s why Ballard went from saying you pay great players to saying the market is what it is. JT has an interest only in money, not in reality. It’s why he’s lying about his injury while collecting a paycheck. Greed.
The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I’m sure Ballard has tried to fix this and talk logic and reality with JT. Every indication is JT isn’t interested. All indications are that JT wouldn’t be happy with a contract just above the two franchise numbers. He wants to push the RB market higher. That’s why Ballard went from saying you pay great players to saying the market is what it is. JT has an interest only in money, not in reality. It’s why he’s lying about his injury while collecting a paycheck. Greed.
Usually when there is a radical difference between two sides, neither side is completely right nor completely wrong. JT, his agent and the Colts management are all aware of the short career span of most RBs. JT wants to get paid based on (when healthy) his status as one of the best in the business. The Colts would rather wait until his rookie contract is done to consider his next contract. If JT had come back to honor his last year of the contract and fucked up his knee, he'd be SOL. If the Colts had given him an extension and the guarantees he wanted and he fucked up his knee, they'd be SOL. Is there a compromise where both sides give a little? Who knows. Perhaps both sides could take a page from our government, They're so good at reaching compromise.
CletusPyle (09-28-2023), Spike (10-02-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 11:43 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
Maybe he has tried to fix it, I never heard that but maybe he did. I suspect the Colts had/have every intention to just franchise him for 2 years and then when they have gotten his best years, let him go to free agency. I can see both sides but I do believe JT is making a huge mistake. I also am seriously starting to think that JT is hurt, and knows he may never be the player he once was...sad if true, but that doesn't excuse his behavior!
Old 09-28-2023, 12:05 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post

Whether this is true or not, I will repeat my earlier "shit" take !!! )

Ballard needs to try to fix this, unless JT has a career threatening injury that he is trying to hide by getting into this contract dispute, he needs to at least attempt to talk some sense into JT !!! If JT does suit up and give full effort and have some really good performances and the team has some level of success, he should be offered a fair extension above just franchising him twice which is what I think he is afraid will happen !!!

o

Shit ta ...... no, just kidding.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (09-28-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 06:47 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Been through 4 games. Is there anyone on this board who doesn’t want to see AR and JT line up in the same backfield? There appear to be zero offers for him, either he shows up or he doesn’t play. I’m hoping he shows up and the Colts extend him after he shows he is healthy. Damn that backfield will be exciting to see.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
BCN#1 (10-02-2023), CletusPyle (10-02-2023), Racehorse (10-02-2023), Spike (10-02-2023), YDFL Commish (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:33 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,272 Times in 2,019 Posts

o

(OCTOBER 2nd)

Jonathan Taylor to Practice With Colts Wednesday, Could Play Against Titans

(WTHR Staff)

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/...9-7aea4d48de68

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Spike (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

(OCTOBER 2nd)

Jonathan Taylor to Practice With Colts Wednesday, Could Play Against Titans

(WTHR Staff)

https://www.wthr.com/article/sports/...9-7aea4d48de68

o
Damn, that would be great!
Oldcolt (10-02-2023), Racehorse (10-02-2023)
Old 10-03-2023, 06:51 AM

Taylor and Leonard. 2 years ago, before the injury bug hit them both, they were the cornerstone of the offense and defense. Build your team around these two and anything is possible. If they can't return to their former selves, it's a fucking shame.
CletusPyle (10-03-2023), Racehorse (10-03-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 06:10 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

At the risk of being a douchey self-promoter... I felt like I must have posted this thought in the past, so I dug it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I'll preface by saying JT's ankle might be fucked and impact his season. I also suppose JT and Co. could use his ankle as an excuse in the future so he gets his $4.3m and his UFA status without actually playing. I would think the legal fiasco that would cause between JT, the Colts, the doctors, and the union would keep even the dickheads representing JT from pursuing... of course we did just see Lamar Jackson in a dubious injury situation last year amid his contract issues.

But assume that's off the table and his ankle gets healthy. The realistic outcomes for the next few seasons as I see them are:

2023 - JT has to play for us. The only way he can leave is if the Colts trade him or place an RFA tender on him which doesn't seem likely.
If he suits up, I believe human nature, the competitiveness, and the comradery take over for everyone and it flows through the season with the contract on the backburner.

2024 - Assuming JT had a good '23, he could earn an extension offer. Knowing Ballard, it probably won't be what JT wants today. He could trade him, but the Colts probably make out better if they franchise him. They either keep a great player for a relatively cheap RB Tag... or they let him sign an offer from another team and scoop up two 1st-round picks which is more than they would've gotten in any trade.

2025 - I couldn't guess here with all the previous variables... but while a Year-2 FT would be more expensive, it still would be relatively cheap for RB's. So I could see the Colts possibly trying to use it again if JT's been healthy/productive. In which case, repeat of '24: He either signs an extension going into his age-26 season, gives us one more season under the FT, or another team signs him and we get two 1st-round picks.

Beyond that, the FT becomes retarded where the pay is based on the top 5 QB's salaries. But JT is either extended or gone long before this point anyway.
Early wishful thinking, but... I think the bold might be starting to happen now judging from some of the stuff I've read from Holder, Pelissero, and others along with some of the players'/coaches' comments.

As sour as JT has turned me over the past few months... I hope he's healthy and spends the next 12 weeks (at least) earning that contract from Ballard. Just getting in the locker room with the guys can flip emotions.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-04-2023)