ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-04-2022, 08:37 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Kicking competition

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...b/65391406007/

Quote:
Insider: Can Jake Verity beat out Rodrigo Blankenship for Colts kicking job?
Joel A. Erickson
Indianapolis Star
View Comments

0:15
0:33

WESTFIELD — Jake Verity sat on his couch on the final day of the draft last April, waiting for the phone to ring.

Verity didn’t expect to be drafted, but no team called to sign him as an undrafted free agent. Nobody called with an offer to try out at the team’s rookie minicamp.

Two weeks passed. Verity wondered if he’d get an NFL chance.

Then a team called. The right team.

When Verity picked up the phone, Baltimore Ravens kicking coach Randy Brown was on the other end of the line, offering the former East Carolina kicker a chance to try out.

“I mean, at that point, whatever comes, I’ll take it,” Verity said. “I had a pretty good day, and I was excited just to get into the NFL, just to get a shot.”

Colts camp observationsJonathan Taylor leads big day for running backs

Verity signed with the Ravens after the tryout, knowing full well that he had little shot at landing a spot on the 53-man roster as a rookie. Baltimore’s kicker, Justin Tucker, is the best leg in the NFL, a legend making his case to be considered one of the greatest of all time.

ADVERTISING

“I knew it was going to be a stepping stone,” Verity said. “But I learned a ton.”

Outside of being handed a starting job, few places are better for a rookie kicker than the team with, arguably, the least chance in the league of earning a roster spot. Baltimore is one of the only franchises in the NFL with a dedicated kicking coach in Brown, plus the opportunity to learn from Tucker and a long history of developing NFL kickers who earn starting jobs in other cities. Robbie Gould, Graham Gano, Steven Hauschka and Wil Lutz all began their careers in Baltimore before landing a starting job somewhere else.

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
Sink Your Teeth In
National Geographic’s beloved SharkFest is back for its 10th year! Dive in and enjoy the wonders beneath the waves, big and small.
Read Now in the e-Edition
Verity quickly understood why the Ravens have been so good at producing NFL kickers.

“(Brown) is a very conversational coach, as far as your technique, and he understands that everybody’s going to be a little bit different,” Verity said. “Working with Justin, who’s arguably the best ever, they work together so well, and you learn so much. It’s easy.”

Verity’s built a lot like Tucker, tall and lean, with a remarkably powerful leg.

“I would say I was a little bit of a late bloomer coming out of high school and college, but I got in the weight room a little bit, put on 20 or 30 pounds, and my leg got stronger,” Verity said. “Since then, I think that’s been one of my strong suits.”

Verity improved quickly.

So quickly that he earned the admiration of his legendary teammate, a kicker who would blast an NFL-record 66-yard field goal to beat the Lions in October.

“I’ll just say it,” Tucker told the Baltimore Sun last August. “I’ll be shocked if he’s not on somebody’s 53-man roster to start the season.”

Verity made 4 of 5 kicks in the preseason, including a 53-yarder that convinced Tucker his prediction would come true. A few teams called Verity’s agent, and at times it felt like an offer was close, but nothing ever materialized.

Baltimore still liked Verity enough to sign him to the practice squad, giving him a chance to keep developing, although he suffered a quadriceps injury in October that he had to spend a significant amount of time rehabilitating.

ADVERTISING

“It was my only opportunity at the time,” Verity said. “But I was hoping it would lead to something like being able to come here.”

Baltimore released Verity after the season, and Indianapolis tried him out in February, signing the young kicker after he impressed the Colts with his leg strength.

“He’s got a cannon,” general manager Chris Ballard said.

Indianapolis had plenty of chances to bring in another kicker this offseason but ultimately passed, deciding to give Verity a chance to compete with incumbent Rodrigo Blankenship, who is coming off a struggle of a season marred by injury and ineffectiveness from long range.

Colts kickersRodrigo Blankenship knows he has to prove leg in Colts kicker competition vs. Jake Verity

Kicking from distance is one of Verity’s specialties.

“On a day like this, with this wind at my back, I think I can hit from 70,” Verity said. “No wind, on a gray day, I’d say about 65, 66 indoors.”

Distance has been a problem for the Colts, who have made just 1 of 5 field goals from beyond 50 yards the past two seasons. Blankenship is 1 of 4 from beyond 50 and 3 of 8 from beyond 46 yards, one of the NFL’s worst marks over that span.

“We’re just looking for consistency, production,” Colts head coach Frank Reich said. “Like we said, Rod has been our guy. We’re really happy with the way Rod’s continued to develop. Jake looks good. We’ll just continue to kind of compete through training camp. … It’ll work itself out.”

Verity knows he’s at something of a disadvantage, given Blankenship’s history in the organization, and the second-year kicker went out of his way to say how much he respects the Colts’ incumbent.

But he’s in Indianapolis to make good on Tucker’s prediction.

“I’m confident,” Verity said. “And I’m here to win.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
apballin (08-04-2022), Colts And Orioles (08-08-2022), Indystu2 (08-04-2022), Ironshaft (08-04-2022), Spike (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Accidental Administrator

Wild... I don't remember specs missing 3 kicks in 5 games last year.

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 08-04-2022, 12:34 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,804 Times in 2,677 Posts

I don't have much confidence in Specs.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:18 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Imagine knowing you got a guy that can hit from 60
Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I don't have much confidence in Specs.
same. lets roll with the new guy
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
omahacolt (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 04:03 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apballin View Post
Imagine knowing you got a guy that can hit from 60
Yeah, but he must hit from 35.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:59 PM

Thanked 2,632 Times in 1,168 Posts

Kicking stats including today's practice:

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...75415086956546

Quote:
Blankenship went 2 of 4 today. Misses from 42 and 55

Verity went 3 of 4. Miss wide right from 55

So far Blankenship is 7 of 9 in camp, Verity is 8 of 9
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
apballin (08-08-2022), ChaosTheory (08-08-2022), Lov2fish (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 03:44 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Kicking stats including today's practice:

https://twitter.com/JoelAErickson/st...75415086956546
Verity could be the secret weapon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apballin For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (08-08-2022), Spike (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:34 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,804 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Yeah, but he must hit from 35.
And 42 also. Fuck Specs, sick of that guy.
Lov2fish (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 10:04 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
And 42 also. Fuck Specs, sick of that guy.
That’s where I’m at, but whatever let Verity “win” the job but it’s not even close

Fuck the story, fuck the emotions, the goggles had a good ride but he’s done now

Verity has a goddam sonic boom leg