ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-06-2022, 12:59 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,266 Times in 2,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post

Bill Russell, God bless his memory, seldom led the NBA in offensive stats ...... but he went 21-0 in winner take all games.

1 guy in 5 can make a huge difference ...... with 1 guy in 11, it's even harder to do.

o

This is a very good point, which makes what Peyton Manning did in his tenure with the Colts all the more astounding ...... on several occasions, Manning took otherwise below-average Colts teams and still found a way to lead them to records between 10-6 and 12-4. The Colts' 2-14 record in 2011 when Manning missed the entire season with an injury was as big a testament to his almost unparalleled value as a quarterback as the fact that he lead 4 teams to Super Bowl appearances in 2006, 2009, 2013, and 2015.

On the other hand, Bill Belichick's finest and most underrated season as a head coach was in 2008, when his team went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at quarterback for an injured Tom Brady ...... making at least somewhat of an argument that Tom Brady was, to a certain degree, a systems quarterback.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-07-2022), Racehorse (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 02:08 PM

Thanked 4,373 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Bill Russell, God bless his memory, seldom led the NBA in offensive stats. But he went 21-0 in winner take all games.

1 guy in 5 can make a huge difference. 1 guy in 11, its harder to do.
That is why Luck was such a stud. He literally made chicken salad out of chicken shit.
JAFF (08-06-2022), Spike (08-06-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 02:09 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

This is a very good point, which makes what Peyton Manning did in his tenure with the Colts all the more astounding ...... on several occasions, Manning took otherwise below-average Colts teams and still found a way to lead them to records between 10-6 and 12-4. The Colts' 2-14 record in 2011 when Manning missed the entire season with an injury was as big a testament to his almost unparalleled value as a quarterback as the fact that he lead 4 teams to Super Bowl appearances in 2006, 2009, 2013, and 2015.

On the other hand, Bill Belichick's finest and most underrated season as a head coach was in 2008, when his team went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at quarterback for an injured Tom Brady ...... making at least somewhat of an argument that Tom Brady was, to a certain degree, a systems quarterback.

o
Easy to do that kind of stuff when you cheat and the league just let's you.

That said, if people here don't think the QB position is the most important and impactful position in all of pro sports, they haven't been watching the NFL for the past 50 years. The largest contracts in all of sports go to QBs, despite football teams having larger rosters and similar salary caps to basketball and baseball teams (luxury tax in baseball, it's become a similar concept).
Old 08-06-2022, 04:56 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post

Easy to do that kind of stuff when you cheat and the league just let's you.

That said, if people here don't think the QB position is the most important and impactful position in all of pro sports, they haven't been watching the NFL for the past 50 years. The largest contracts in all of sports go to QBs, despite football teams having larger rosters and similar salary caps to basketball and baseball teams (luxury tax in baseball, it's become a similar concept).

o

Belichick was fined the maximum $500,000, the team was fined an additional $250,000, and they forfeited a 1st-round draft pick for Spygate I.

The Patriots were fined $1.1 Million, and forfeited a 3rd-round pick for Spygate II.

You could argue that the punishment should have been more severe, particularly for Spygate II, but the NFL didn't just let him do it. They probably should have suspended him half of a season for Spygate I, and for a full season for Spygate II.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 08-06-2022, 07:06 PM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
o

Belichick was fined the maximum $500,000, the team was fined an additional $250,000, and they forfeited a 1st-round draft pick for Spygate I.

The Patriots were fined $1.1 Million, and forfeited a 3rd-round pick for Spygate II.

You could argue that the punishment should have been more severe, particularly for Spygate II, but the NFL didn't just let him do it. They probably should have suspended him half of a season for Spygate I, and for a full season for Spygate II.

o
Basically the NFL gave them a slap on the wrist. They should have suspended Belicheat for a year w/ Spygate 1 and banned him for life w/ Spygate 2, which may not have happened if they had actually given him a legitimate penalty the first go around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (08-07-2022), Racehorse (08-07-2022)
Old 08-06-2022, 11:20 PM

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Jenkins probably would be the best LT on this team if healthy and acquired. Injuries may do him in, but you couldn't get a more aggressive block finishing left side of a line than pairing Jenkins with Nelson.

That is a big "if" at this point. Jenkins has participated in a team practice once during training camp so far in his career including last season and this season.

He has had some type of undisclosed injury this season although he returned to individual workouts today and has indicated that he is close to returning to team practice.

I just think that it is a bit of a red flag that the new front office is so ready to "move on." It is not like the Bears have an All-Pro offensive line and can give away talented players so easily.

I wonder if the new front office has a different conclusion about his back and if they think it will be a continual issue throughout his playing career.

Again, I have no issue with acquiring Jenkins although I think the acquiring team needs to be careful about putting together the trade package. I wouldn't be comfortable trading a Day 1 or 2 draft pick (Rounds 1 - 3).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
IndyNorm (08-07-2022), Ironshaft (08-07-2022), Oldcolt (08-07-2022), Racehorse (08-07-2022), Spike (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 06:49 AM
Historian

Quote:
o

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post

Basically, the NFL gave them a slap on the wrist. They should have suspended Belicheat for a year w/ Spygate 1, and banned him for life w/ Spygate 2, which may not have happened if they had actually given him a legitimate penalty the first go around.

o

Excellent point ...... a 1-year suspension in the first place probably would have prevented any cheating in the second place ...... after a 1-year suspension, the next step for any future offenses would have been a lifetime ban or an indefinite suspension, something that I don't think that Belichick (or anybody in their right mind) would have been willing to risk.

o

Old 08-07-2022, 10:40 AM

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,198 Posts

I'm smelling a Quinn Quitcock situation here with Jenkins.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (08-07-2022), Racehorse (08-07-2022)
Old 08-07-2022, 12:22 PM

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I'm smelling a Quinn Quitcock situation here with Jenkins.
That is a possibility. There have been some rumors questioning how much passion Jenkins has for football or if he mainly treats football as a job.

He hasn't completely ignored input from the new coaching staff, however. The new staff wanted their linemen to be more athletic and asked him to lose 20+ lbs. And Jenkins followed that advice and dropped the weight and body fat this year.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:04 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,608 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
o

o
If future prevention was the goal, any punishment short of lifetime bans for Brady and Belichick and official derecognition of all of their career accomplishments was and still is insufficient. Belichick made tens of millions and Brady made hundreds of millions, and COMBINED, they, along with billionaire Kraft who made billions off the scheme, had to pay fines of $1.1 million? The moral of that story to any smart businessperson is do it again as many times as you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
JAFF (08-07-2022)