ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > NFL > NFL Discussion Forum

Old 04-11-2022, 03:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Doyle on Kaepernick

Doyel: Colin Kaepernick is more dangerous than Deshaun Watson or Tyreek Hill?

Quote:
We’re nearing closure on Colin Kaepernick, but it shouldn’t end this way. It can’t end this way, not with one side claiming victory and the other side claiming martyrdom and both sides holding up Kaepernick not as a mirror, but as a looking glass. You know, to stare right through as we judge the other side.

You remember Kaepernick, the guy who took a knee and started a movement that tore through the NFL, then other sports, then other countries. When this whole thing began, Kaepernick was a quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers.

When it ends – and it ends soon – will he be a quarterback or a martyr?

Let me tell you something: Neither side wants him to be a martyr. Not you on the left, not you on the right. This country doesn’t need that, using Kaepernick as a wishbone and pulling, pulling, pulling until we’re just a little more splintered.

Would someone in the NFL, a league that considers itself so macho, find the courage to let this man into training camp? So he can give the game one last try? And everyone can move on?

Moreo the Colts need a veteran backup for Matt Ryan?

More:Why Liberty QB Malik Willis is an unlikely but tantalizing swing for the Colts to consider

Colin Kaepernick was the first protester. He is no longer in the league. (2016 AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)
Scarier than Deshaun Watson?

Seriously, if you’re on the right side of the aisle, you don’t want the blackballing of Colin Kaepernick to be the way this story ends. Those of us not on the right, but in the right, we’ll use that as a hammer forever. And we’ll be correct:

The quarterback-starved NFL ignored a quarterback who once reached the Super Bowl, a quarterback still in his prime, because the league was terrified of a portion of its white fanbase.

Is that who we want to be, here in America? A country that encourages an NFL team to give a $230 million contract to Deshaun Watson, accused of sexual assault by 22 different women, but intimidates its NFL franchises into ignoring a quarterback guilty only of protesting racial injustice?

The way this story is going, the way it is ending, has almost nothing to do with Kaepernick’s ability to play quarterback. Not anymore. Frankly, I doubt he could still do it. There are some who would argue he wasn’t able to do it in his final year in the NFL, back in 2016 – has it really been that long? – when he started 11 games, and the 49ers lost 10 of them.

SUBSCRIBER EXCLUSIVE
Universal e-Edition
Access the digital replica of USA TODAY and more than 200 local newspapers with your subscription.
Read Now in the e-Edition
There are numbers within the numbers: Kaepernick threw 16 touchdowns with just four interceptions, which is very good. He completed just 59.2% of his passes, which is very bad. He ran for 468 yards in 11 starts: good. He fumbled nine times: bad. His passer rating of 90.7 was 17th in the league (not great), but still above his career passer rating of 88.9 – and in his career, Kaepernick led the 49ers to two NFC title games and one Super Bowl in five seasons as a starter (great).

But the 49ers were 1-10 in 2016. Bad.

See what you want in those numbers, but believe this: Kaepernick would be a shell of himself now. People in the NFL like to say playing quarterback in their league is the hardest position in sports, and they’re probably right, because the mental requirements are every bit as demanding as the physical.

At age 34, Kaepernick’s arm and legs might well be as fantastic as they were when he last played at age 29. But his ability to read a defense, to react, to make the split-second decisions required play after play? No chance. This is not a position where a player can spend five years out of the game and come back with the same ability as before to see the field.

Understand what I’m saying there. Kaepernick isn’t merely a smart man, but borderline brilliant. He scored a 38 on the Wonderlic test given to NFL draft prospects, and this is information that came out in 2015, back when nobody cared about – or even knew – how Kaepernick felt about the social issues around him. He scored one point higher than Andrew Luck, three higher than Aaron Rodgers and seven points higher, ahem, than I did when I took it for fun 10 years ago.

Kaepernick’s intelligence is beyond question. His ability to play NFL quarterback in 2022, after six years off? That, to me anyway, also is beyond question. As in: I’m sure he couldn’t do it.

So what harm would it be for someone – how about you, Jim Irsay? – to give him a shot?

Scarier than Tyreek Hill?

The NFL is a place where Tyreek Hill can be rewarded repeatedly for his 4.25-second speed in the 40-yard dash, including a three-year, $54 million contract in 2019 from the Kansas City Chiefs, who drafted him in 2016 despite his guilty plea to charges that he choked and punched – in the stomach – his pregnant girlfriend.

Three years after that baby was born, the child suffered a broken arm. The Johnson County, Missouri, district attorney’s office determined a crime had occurred, but couldn’t prove who had injured the child. Charges were not filed, though in a leaked audio recording the child’s mom was heard telling Hill, “He’s terrified of you.”

To which Hill replied: “You need to be terrified of me, too, b–– .”

That was 2019. This offseason, the Miami Dolphins gave the Chiefs almost an entire draft’s worth of future picks for Hill, then signed him to a four-year, $120 million extension.

Because that’s where we are, in this world: NFL teams aren’t afraid to pay a fortune for Deshaun Watson or Tyreek Hill, but they’re terrified to let Colin Kaepernick into training camp. The Cleveland Browns and Miami Dolphins, like every other NFL team that would have acquired either player if given the chance – and there were plenty – aren’t worried their business will suffer with someone like Watson or Hill on roster.

Someone like Colin Kaepernick?

Now, that’s dangerous.

Last edited by JAFF; 04-11-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 04-11-2022, 05:31 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,793 Times in 2,672 Posts

Fuck Kaepernick and all of his propaganda bullshit. This idiot compared the NFL Draft combine process to slavery, WTF!!!! Wouldn't want his sorry ass on the Colts that's for damn sure.
BCN#1 (04-12-2022), CanuckColt (04-11-2022), CletusPyle (04-11-2022), Indystu2 (04-11-2022), Ironshaft (04-11-2022), Puck (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 06:27 PM

Thanked 1,882 Times in 918 Posts

Didn’t he blow off a special workout set up by the NFL for him only?

Does he even WANT to play?
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 06:34 PM

Thanked 1,882 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Fuck Kaepernick and all of his propaganda bullshit. This idiot compared the NFL Draft combine process to slavery, WTF!!!! Wouldn't want his sorry ass on the Colts that's for damn sure.
Kap is a douchebag for sure but at this point I’d like to see some team try to sign him for 2 reasons-

1. I honestly don’t believe he’d sign somewhere just to be a backup. I think he feels like he deserves to be a starter and that’s not true by a long shot. That wasn’t true already the last season he played.

2. If someone genuinely tries to give him a job, if nothing else, it will shut up guys like Doyle and Florio from sobbing about how wronged he was. And that seems like it’s constant these days.

So offer the man a contract Jim.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:51 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Didn’t he blow off a special workout set up by the NFL for him only?

Does he even WANT to play?
Yep, he blew off the workout too. As far as wanting to play, I doubt it. He just wants to remain relevant so he can keep spewing his BS.
Old 04-11-2022, 07:01 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
Kap is a douchebag for sure but at this point I’d like to see some team try to sign him for 2 reasons-

1. I honestly don’t believe he’d sign somewhere just to be a backup. I think he feels like he deserves to be a starter and that’s not true by a long shot. That wasn’t true already the last season he played.

2. If someone genuinely tries to give him a job, if nothing else, it will shut up guys like Doyle and Florio from sobbing about how wronged he was. And that seems like it’s constant these days.

So offer the man a contract Jim.
Let those two slobber knockers cry, Kaep wasn't wronged, he flat out sucked. And with all the excess baggage that goes with him, NO Thanks! Just let him make more lies for Netflix films.
CletusPyle (04-11-2022), Racehorse (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 07:48 PM
Post whore

Wow, but its ok for watson and hill to have jobs, because they just abuse, beat or act as sexual predators.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (04-12-2022), rm1369 (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Yep, he blew off the workout too. As far as wanting to play, I doubt it. He just wants to remain relevant so he can keep spewing his BS.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...id-not-appear/
Old 04-11-2022, 08:11 PM
Post whore

Kaepernick doesn't get to dictate his terms. He could take it or leave it.
Old 04-11-2022, 08:13 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Wow, but its ok for watson and hill to have jobs, because they just abuse, beat or act as sexual predators.
I never said that.