ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 09:04 AM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts
Default Secondary

I'm not sure I've seen a worse game by a secondary. For as much talent as they have there, that kind of effort is pretty inexcusable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maniac For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (12-09-2019), Thorgrim (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 694 Posts

Winston threw for a career high 456 yds. Two of his touchdowns came after he fractured his thumb in the third quarter! Nobody here can convince me that Winston is a good quarterback. Like much of the team the secondary is overrated and the fast start to the season was smoke and mirrors. Need upgrades here as well. This team is still rebuilding and the secondary is still a work in progress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thorgrim For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (12-09-2019), njcoltfan (12-17-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:25 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

A young team that's going through a lot of growing pains. A lot of rookie and 2nd and 3rd year players on the defense. Not making excuses but bad games happen. This Defense is starving for some good young pass rushers. The coaches have to get better at I. Game adjustments too. Hard to run against #2 run defense so what are you doing to keep the ball from their offense Reich?
Old 12-09-2019, 09:29 AM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I'm not sure I've seen a worse game by a secondary. For as much talent as they have there, that kind of effort is pretty inexcusable.
If indeed the talent is there, which I’m not sure is the case, you must question either the scheme or whether they are unmotivated. For a certainty, Winston’s talent is not part of the equation.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

They just aren't good zone defenders. I don't know when Eberflus and Reich are going to realize this. But when they go to zone they get torched.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (12-09-2019), Racehorse (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:30 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Bucs had the ball nearly 10 more minutes than the Colts and almost twice as many first downs. Terrible!
Old 12-09-2019, 09:44 AM

We have played so much better in man coverage the last few weeks, but that was when we had Kenny Moore on the field. Not having him was a HUGE factor in why we played the way we did yesterday. It was as if they didn't trust the guys to try to play man coverage...why not? It couldn't have gone any worse than it did.

Have we had a single game this season where Desir, Moore, Ya-Sin, Tell/Wilson have played together? And the bigger question is have we had a game where they have played together when they are pretty much healthy and not just suited up because we need them (which seems to have been the case with Desir for large chunks of this season). I like our corners and the depth....they are young and have struggled to recover from injury, but they have generally been in pretty good coverage all year, just not making the play on the ball as often as you would like.

It looked like Ya-Sin hurt his hand/arm in this game, have we heard any update on that?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukcolt For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (12-09-2019), YDFL Commish (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 11:39 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

I think this is more an indictment of the offense than the defense. If not for the turnovers we would never have been in this game. Also the fact they held the ball ten minutes more tells me the offense could not sustain drives. We won’t play the number 2 run defense every week. But our over reliance on the run game is no different than the over reliance on the passing game we used to have. We need a QB that can convert passes. A guy that has good accuracy and will keep defenses honest, but also can pick up the slack if the running game isn’t up to the task.

Could their coverage have been better? Yeah. But a team is symbiotic, offense and defense don’t work in a total vacuum.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I think this is more an indictment of the offense than the defense. If not for the turnovers we would never have been in this game. Also the fact they held the ball ten minutes more tells me the offense could not sustain drives. We won’t play the number 2 run defense every week. But our over reliance on the run game is no different than the over reliance on the passing game we used to have. We need a QB that can convert passes. A guy that has good accuracy and will keep defenses honest, but also can pick up the slack if the running game isn’t up to the task.

Could their coverage have been better? Yeah. But a team is symbiotic, offense and defense don’t work in a total vacuum.
Sorry, but no. The defense allowed far too many 3rd down conversions, even some ridiculous 3rd and long ones. They kept allowing easy passes even without the bucs best WR. That was a pathetic effort by the secondary.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
They just aren't good zone defenders. I don't know when Eberflus and Reich are going to realize this. But when they go to zone they get torched.
This could be, and if so, and the coaches don't see that or adjust to that, then we have another problem.