ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I don’t get why so many people say Luck gave the team a heads up. Because it was the right thing to do? People do make impulsive moves. I have zero information as to what went down. I have not read anything that says he told everybody in the organization for months that he wasn’t into football anymore. I don’t blame him for his decision but is it reported anywhere that Ballard are a heads up and just blew it off?
In the real world, imagine a top salesperson in a Fortune 500 company who makes that company a ton of money. Salesperson gets burned out and goes to management and says it's time to move on in life. What do you think happens? Management instantly sees a lot of lost revenue, money made that can't possibly be replaced since there are no other sales staff who make the company anywhere near as much money. So management tells the money-maker to take some time off, come back in a week and things will be great. Maybe a few months pass with things seemingly being good enough, but eventually, the salesperson has once and for all had enough--totally checked out, no going back. Of course, when it actually goes down, management is going to do what they can to save face and say they had no idea and thought everything was great.

You don't see how any of that would translate to the Luck situation? Of course, I have no sources, but no one here has sources for whether or not the Colts would be better off punting or going for it on 4th down, but here we are.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Classic View Post
The main talkers on 1070 the Fan's daily shows are basically Irsay's mouthpiece, especially JMV (with his sources in the Irsay family) and Rakestraw. Throughout the season, they've fed the naive "only Luck knew he was going to walk away up until the last minute" viewpoint. Of course, Irsay himself isn't going to lob bombs at Luck now, he has too move on and Ballard has to try to continue to pursue free agents.
So, you have an “opinion”. You don’t have the truth.

Luck himself said he had been considering it for 2 weeks before the announcement. And that he promised himself after the shoulder injury that he wouldn’t go through that again.

That tells me the ankle not responding is what led directly to his retirement. That isn’t a long time frame.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
So, you have an “opinion”. You don’t have the truth.

Luck himself said he had been considering it for 2 weeks before the announcement. And that he promised himself after the shoulder injury that he wouldn’t go through that again.

That tells me the ankle not responding is what led directly to his retirement. That isn’t a long time frame.
No shit, you mean my posts are my opinion?! Holy fuck, thanks for that revelation. I obviously was stating everything I've said as fact, let me attach my bibliography.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ment-in-march/

Last edited by Colt Classic; 12-08-2019 at 07:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt Classic For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
...and I say the front office heard from him months before week 3 of the preseason that his mind wasn't in it to win it any longer. Anyone thinking he just woke up on that Saturday and said "fuck it, I'm done" without any prior word to Ballard or Irsay is naive. Why else was Peyton Manning randomly brought in just before the announcement? He was Irsay's Hail Mary attempt to save this whole fiasco by having Peyton talk him off the ledge.

Luck's a dipshit for what he did, but Ballard and Irsay are part of the clown show too.

Beyond that, fuck Ballard for having two long-term projects taking up roster spots in Fountain and Cain. Neither of those two were "next man up" levels of being ready and it fucked up the offense as soon as injuries happened. He needs to stop being cute with the depth spots. Sure, they won't be All-Pro's, but these guys couldn't replace Blair White or John Standeford.
They absolutely knew, as did the rest of those on the inside throughout the nfl. They had appearances to uphold and tickets to sell.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:15 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

OK I get why you all think that way. I just don’t know as none of us really know. Maybe they knew. Maybe they didn’t. Doesn’t matter to me. It’s a football team so everyone gets to believe whatever they want.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Well, since a friend with family who works for the nfl told me a month beforehand, I am pretty damn certain. The probability that he was fucking with me and it ended up true is next to nothing. Unfortunately, he got like his fifth dui and I likely will never see him again to pick his brain further.
The Following User Says Thank You to Discflinger For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (12-08-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discflinger View Post
Well, since a friend with family who works for the nfl told me a month beforehand, I am pretty damn certain. The probability that he was fucking with me and it ended up true is next to nothing. Unfortunately, he got like his fifth dui and I likely will never see him again to pick his brain further.
I take it that after his 5th DUI, he no longer works for the NFL. I also believe that AV had an injury he was trying to work through, but I imagine that if he retired just before the season, fans would have lambasted him too.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Thanked 1,889 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
No shit, you mean my posts are my opinion?! Holy fuck, thanks for that revelation. I obviously was stating everything I've said as fact, let me attach my bibliography.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ment-in-march/
Why would Luck lie about the two week timeline? What would he have to gain? He’d just be providing cover for management. And don’t say it was agreed that Luck would lie if Irsay would honor his contract. That’s bullshit. Anyone who knows Irsay knows that’s how he rolls.

Furthermore, if Luck truly was considering retirement all summer and the franchise knew it, how did it not get leaked like his actual retirement? There’s no way that news would have stayed under wraps that long. There would have been rumors, and not just after the fact.

The bottom line is, there’s more evidence that this caught the Colts off guard then there is that they knew.