ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Everything Else > General Topics
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2023, 07:27 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Far right attacks Chik F A,

The right is going after Chik F A?

One of the best companies in terms of employer/employer relations.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/conormu...h=413f2ef57d1f

The New 'Anti-Woke' Crusade Targets DEI—And Chick-Fil-A?
Conor Murray
Forbes Staff
I'm an explainers and trends reporter for Forbes.
Follow
May 31, 2023,04:24pm EDT
TOPLINE As companies and colleges face a sudden surge in online and legislative attacks against diversity, equity and inclusion programs—the latest in an anti-”woke” political movement on the right—online critics are zeroing in on targets including, somewhat bizarrely, Christian-affiliated restaurant chain Chick-fil-A.
Chick-fil-A Ranks As America's Favorite Restaurant According To One Industry Survey
Critics are accusing Chick-fil-A of going "woke" because of its DEI commitment. (Photo by Brandon ... [+]GETTY IMAGES
KEY FACTS

Many companies and universities have made commitments to a diverse and inclusive workplace, especially since the #MeToo and Black Lives Matter movements of the last decade, with every Fortune 100 company voicing a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and an estimated 83% of companies working to implement DEI programs, according to a WorldatWork survey of 656 companies.
DEI programs have faced backlash from right-wing critics, who have moved to boycott companies who make commitments to diversity—most recently Chick-fil-A, which became the target of right-wing backlash on Tuesday when its years-old announcement of its commitment to DEI and its hiring of a vice president of DEI resurfaced on Twitter.
PROMOTED

Though the backlash is new, Erick McReynolds has served as vice president for DEI since November 2021, and was previously executive director of DEI since June 2020, according to his LinkedIn.
Chick-fil-A’s critics were further outraged by a resurfaced three-year-old video of chairman and former CEO Dan Cathy shining a Black man’s shoes onstage in an Atlanta church during a discussion about racism, a gesture meant as a means to “put words to action” in repenting for racism, that was criticized as “bizarre” at the time.

KEY BACKGROUND

On Monday, both chambers of the Texas state legislature passed a ban on DEI programs at publicly funded universities, two weeks after Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) signed a bill into law defunding DEI programs at Florida public colleges and limiting how race can be discussed in classes. At least 20 states have introduced various bills targeting collegiate DEI programs, diversity in hiring and identity-based preferences for admission, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education, though some of these bills have failed.

Forbes Daily: Get our best stories, exclusive reporting and essential analysis of the day’s news in your inbox every weekday.

You may opt out any time. By signing up for this newsletter, you agree to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy
CHIEF CRITICS

Conservative commentator Charlie Kirk, criticized Chick-fil-A’s DEI commitment on Twitter to his 2.2 million followers. He accused DEI initiatives of being “anti-white, anti-American, and anti-Christian,” as well as a “Marxist Trojan Horse with a sweet sounding name.” Conservative Blaze TV host Lauren Chen tweeted to her 500,000 followers there is “no legitimate, non-woke reason for any company to have a ‘DEI’ department or program” because “individuals will be rewarded or penalized on the basis of race, gender, or sexuality.” DeSantis, a high-profile DEI critic, has previously suggested the acronym instead stands for “discrimination, exclusion and indoctrination.”

CONTRA

McReynolds stated Chick-fil-A’s mission of “ensuring mutual respect, understanding and dignity everywhere we do business” on the company’s DEI webpage. The Chick-fil-A DEI statement commits to promoting equal opportunity for employees and cites its work with universities and organizations like the Women’s Foodservice Forum, National Black MBA Association and Association of Latino Professionals of America to hire talent. Democratic politicians have also defended DEI from right-wing attacks, including Ohio State Rep. Casey Weinstein (D-Hudson), who tweeted: “Good for @ChickfilA!” Texas Democrats, including State Rep. Barbara Gervin-Hawkins (D-San Antonio), defended diversity as “not a threat but a strength” after the Texas House passed a bill banning DEI programs in public universities.

TANGENT

Right-wing outrage against DEI programs follows increasing attacks on companies deemed to be “woke” for their marketing campaigns that include LGBTQ people or their Pride Month product lines. Bud Light faced a boycott and criticism from conservative pundits after it sent transgender TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney a custom can with her image on it in early April. Since then, a long line of companies have faced online backlash, including Target and Kohl’s for their Pride Month products, as well as The North Face and Jack Daniels for marketing campaigns featuring drag queens. Some of these marketing campaigns are old but have been dug up and recirculated on social media by angered conservatives, including a months-old Miller Lite marketing campaign that originally aired in March for Women’s History Month but went viral on Twitter more than two months later. Attacks on DEI in education also follow several states’ efforts to ban “critical race theory” in schools and books in schools and libraries.

SURPRISING FACT

The conservative backlash to Chick-fil-A’s DEI commitment is a stark contrast to its history of tension with the LGBTQ community, which has prompted some LGBTQ supporters to boycott the company and conservatives to readily embrace it. Chick-fil-A vocally abides by Christian values, stating its corporate purpose is to “glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us.” The company famously closes its restaurants on Sundays according to the wishes of its founder, Truett Cathy, who wanted employees to rest and worship if they choose. Chick-fil-A has long faced criticism from the left wing because of Dan Cathy’s statements opposing same-sex marriage in 2012, and the company’s charitable foundation’s history of donating money to anti-LGBTQ groups. Some conservatives have supported the company because of Cathy’s religious beliefs and anti-gay marriage stance: in 2012, former Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-Ark.) declared August 1 to be “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day,” and praised Cathy on Facebook for “his view that the Biblical view of marriage should be upheld.”

FURTHER READING

Kohl’s Becomes Latest Target Of LGBTQ Culture Wars: Here Are All The Others—From Bud Light To Target (Forbes)

Molson Coors Slaps Anti-‘Woke’ Critics—Like Joe Rogan And Ben Shapiro—And Defends Miller Lite Women’s History Ad (Forbes)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:52 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
1. Will the school corp provide me with a gun, or will I be expected to by my own gun and ammo? For what we pay in taxes I would expect a very nice reliable firearm and ammo

If you know anything about education and teachers, a school board will by pop guns and spit wads.

2. What gun will I be using? Hopefully something with serious stopping power. A 40 cal or 45 ACP

If its a pistol, I am going to complain. School shooters are bringing AR 15’s. What the fuck am I going to do with a pistol. Give me a shot gun, I will have a chance of hitting something. This is a fallacy. In closed quarters a pistol is your best defense, again see caliber above.

3. Will I receive training and instruction, or am I on my own? They better be providing training. I know Indiana currently will train teachers in districts where it is approved to be armed. It is approved at a state level but each district is its own little dictatorship.

Again, if you know anything about school boards, you will be on your own.

4. Liability insurance to cover my use of a gun in a school? Versus liability for lawsuits?

No shit, what happens if I shoot and miss and injure or kill a student/employee of the school? The fantasy here is that the typical educator can turn into Captain America by giving them a gun. It is not a fantasy. It is a reality that an armed teacher trained is better than a 15 minute wait until police arrive.

5. Where do I store my pistol/machine gun/ shot gun in the class room? A locked drawer with a key only you have. Nobody will know which teachers are armed. Its not like you have to hang a fucking sign. A sign is how some of this shit happen.

Am I wearing it on my hip, or is it stored in a box with a glass front to break in case of crazy shooter. Am I carrying it during passing periods, or I keep it stored until I hear gun fire? Read above, redundant question.

Educators need to educate. If the public wants fire arms in schools, they need to hire experts who are trained to do what is necessary to protect our children.

The real problem is that gun violence wont stop by hardening the security around schools. It will just look for another easy target. Parks, zoo, museums, amusement parks, theaters, resturants, …………….. Where they all have fucking gun free zones and the only ones who comply are law abiding citizens. Look at mass shootings as a whole from when they started until now. Damn near as many firearms in circulation as now, yet you didn't hear about this shit. It started gaining traction after Reagan gutted the mental health programs. Start there, not with the hundred million gun owners who go about their business every day and not harming a soul.

Making me defenseless is not going to make you safer. The decision to kill was made long before the weapon was ever chosen. Once decision was made no gun control laws have prevented one mass shooting, having gun free zones have contributed to it though.
No one is asking law abiding gun owners to give up anything. What most people want is a way to keep guns out of the hands of the criminal and mentally ill. We need to have PROFESSIONAL people to guard schools, malls, hospitals, zoos, public places. That means TRAINING, supervision, and building security systems to keep the nuts out of the buildings.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:57 PM
Post whore

Default Disney nixes $1 billion Florida development, latest casualty in DeSantis' 'war on wok

Disney nixes $1 billion Florida development, latest casualty in DeSantis' 'war on woke'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...a/70233556007/

Never fuck with someone who buys printers ink by the barrel
Old 06-01-2023, 07:08 PM
Post whore

Default Arizona announces limits on construction in Phoenix area

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/01/us/ar...ate/index.html

How humans have changed the enviroment
Old 06-01-2023, 07:38 PM

Idiots from both sides are always trying to cancel out shit instead of minding their own business and staying in their lane. Glad I grow my own food and hunt the meat. Can't protest Ma'Nature, she is always correct
Racehorse (06-02-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:11 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
Idiots from both sides are always trying to cancel out shit instead of minding their own business and staying in their lane. Glad I grow my own food and hunt the meat. Can't protest Ma'Nature, she is always correct
Which has nothing to do with the article.

Chic-F-A is one of the most successful fast food restaurants, who conquered Covid and showed the world how to run a business. The focus on the teachings of Jesus, treat all employees with respect and do not judge them for their private lives. It gets cold in Indy in the winter, so local chic-f-las put their crew in winter clothes and put heaters outside so the crew members had some cover from the weather.

They stand by the teachings of Jesus, love thy neighbor. The customers and their crew. If that is woke, then Im for it.
Old 06-02-2023, 09:37 AM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Just because of one tweet (or twit), you think the whole lot is against a company? SMH
Old 06-02-2023, 11:00 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Just because of one tweet (or twit), you think the whole lot is against a company? SMH
Not the point. They take equity and equality for their employees seriously, and are an example how a business should be run. But for some reason the far right hates them

Heres the quote

Quote:

Conservative commentator Charlie Kirk, criticized Chick-fil-A’s DEI commitment on Twitter to his 2.2 million followers. He accused DEI initiatives of being “anti-white, anti-American, and anti-Christian,” as well as a “Marxist Trojan Horse with a sweet sounding name.” Conservative Blaze TV host Lauren Chen tweeted to her 500,000 followers there is “no legitimate, non-woke reason for any company to have a ‘DEI’ department or program” because “individuals will be rewarded or penalized on the basis of race, gender, or sexuality.” DeSantis, a high-profile DEI critic, has previously suggested the acronym instead stands for “discrimination, exclusion and indoctrination.”
That is the politics of hate. They are attacking chik-f-a because the wont join their politics that divide a community. The far right wants to separate the races, put women back in the kitchen and use religion to scare people rather than bring them together.

Having a DEI office is a means to monitor how an organization is managing its hiring and employe retention. What is the make up of management, who are attracting for jobs and rate of turnover by store, by region, in the country.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:22 AM

Thanked 4,412 Times in 2,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Not the point. They take equity and equality for their employees seriously, and are an example how a business should be run. But for some reason the far right hates them

Heres the quote

Again, you are quoting one guy in the media and one politician. My point stands. You are taking what two people are saying and making it equate to an entire group. There is a word for that, but somehow you only apply it to conservatives.

Quote:
That is the politics of hate. They are attacking chik-f-a because the wont join their politics that divide a community. The far right wants to separate the races, put women back in the kitchen and use religion to scare people rather than bring them together.
HAHAHAHA. nNo. You try to make one side seem like morons, but defend the morons on your side. When will you grow up and see there are morons everywhere, including on your vote on your ballot.
Quote:
Having a DEI office is a means to monitor how an organization is managing its hiring and employe retention. What is the make up of management, who are attracting for jobs and rate of turnover by store, by region, in the country.
I have no issue with any such office. I guess you think everyone on one side of the aisle agrees with everyone else on that side. Seems mire like your side to me. The right is a fractured group, because many issues important to one segment is irrelevant to another, which is why we ended up with Trump.
JAFF (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Which has nothing to do with the article.

Chic-F-A is one of the most successful fast food restaurants, who conquered Covid and showed the world how to run a business. The focus on the teachings of Jesus, treat all employees with respect and do not judge them for their private lives. It gets cold in Indy in the winter, so local chic-f-las put their crew in winter clothes and put heaters outside so the crew members had some cover from the weather.

They stand by the teachings of Jesus, love thy neighbor. The customers and their crew. If that is woke, then Im for it.
My point being, I don't care about fast food joints, who is protesting them and who isn't. My definition of fast food is, is a 3 year old deer faster than a 4 year old deer, or how fast is that rabbit running when leading him.

Fuck em all, and fuck those who care about it.