ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-19-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts
Default Nice shout out from this week's MMQB:

Located here.

Quote:
FOR THE YOUNG COLTS, THE FUTURE COULD BE … 2018?

If you’ve been reading all year, you know where I’m at on the Colts. And if you read last week, you know that Andrew Luck is just about all the way back.

But one of the cool things about everything that’s going on in Indy right now—with their 38-10 bulldozing of the Titans in the books—is how it’s hard to tell where the team’s ceiling for 2018 is now. I’ve felt all along that the Colts would be a force in 2019. Could they be in the process of moving the timetable forward?

If you consider the rate at which the rookie class is improving, it’s not impossible to see a team that could sneak into the playoffs and be dangerous come January. And after talking to rookie linebacker Darius Leonard postgame on Sunday, I get the feeling they’re well aware of that, even if they are new to the NFL.

“We all have the desire to win, and the desire to be great,” Leonard said from the victorious locker room. “You see a lot of rookies coming in [to work] pretty early, before a lot of other people. We’re doing all the small things right to be great.”

Here’s how their Sunday went:

Quenton Nelson (6th pick)/Braden Smith (37th pick): Nelson started his 10th straight game at left guard and Smith his sixth in a row at right tackle, for a line that’s fast become one of the best in football. Luck hasn’t been sacked since Oct. 4, and the Colts rushed for (if you take out three kneel-downs) 105 yards on 25 carries. Also,thanks to the time he was given, Luck posted a 143.8 rating against the NFL’s top scoring defense.

Darius Leonard (36th pick): The Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate had seven tackles, a sack, a forced fumble, and the first interception of his career—“It was crazy—I was actually in Cover 2, I was just sitting and spying the quarterback. And nobody was around me, and he threw it to me. I was like, thank you, and went from there.”

Kemoko Turay (52nd pick): The edge rusher returned from injury after missing the Jacksonville game and came off the bench to register his fourth sack of the season.

Tyquan Lewis (64th pick): Lewis came off IR just before the Jaguars game and has started both games since at defensive end, though his long-term future is likely as a 3-technique tackle. He rung up a tackle for a loss against Tennessee.

Nyheim Hines (104th pick): Playing the Corey Clement/Darren Sproles role in Frank Reich’s offense, Hines had 14 yards on five carries, and a 20-yard catch on Sunday.

Jordan Wilkins (169th pick): Wilkins finished up with 30 yards on four carries, and part of that effort was an aggressive 18-yard touchdown run.

And then there’s the rookie we haven’t seen yet: ex-Clemson receiver Deon Cain, the sixth-round receiver who’d been the revelation of training camp before blowing out his ACL.

It’s easy to see—looking at the totality of the rookie performance, and the renewed brilliance of Luck—how the Colts appear to be on the front end of something big. But Leonard, at least when I talked to him, wasn’t allowing himself to start thinking about that.

“We’re just gonna take it day-by-day, and just go from there,” Leonard said. “I’m not gonna make some proclamation. I’m just taking it day-by-day, not looking for anything crazy going on.”

Funny, because it seems like something pretty crazy is going on.
I love where this team is going. I don't think that we are yet ready to compete against NO, KC or LAR but I don't know that I see any other team in the league that we cannot beat if we play like we did yesterday.

Walk Worthy,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (11-20-2018), southside asshole (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
Located here.

I love where this team is going. I don't think that we are yet ready to compete against NO, KC or LAR but I don't know that I see any other team in the league that we cannot beat if we play like we did yesterday.

Walk Worthy,
If we can repeat the play we saw yesterday I honestly think the Colts should only fear the Saints. KC and LAR would be beatable.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 PM

I think if the Colts keep playing like this they'll be in the playoffs, though still likely as a WC as it will be tough to catch the Texans. They have an easy schedule down the stretch

But in the playoffs against any good to great QB, we would have to just outscore the opponent. I still don't think the D can stop that type of offense with a solid veteran leader. The Saints would easily put up 40 on this team. The Chiefs as well.

We could always see a repeat of the Chiefs/Colts 2003 playoff game where no one punted, Colts come out on top. The Colts seem to have a knack for just ruining the Chiefs great seasons in the playoffs.

But still a year or more away on the D.

Plus depends now on what happens with Kelley
Old 11-19-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I think if the Colts keep playing like this they'll be in the playoffs, though still likely as a WC as it will be tough to catch the Texans. They have an easy schedule down the stretch

But in the playoffs against any good to great QB, we would have to just outscore the opponent. I still don't think the D can stop that type of offense with a solid veteran leader. The Saints would easily put up 40 on this team. The Chiefs as well.

We could always see a repeat of the Chiefs/Colts 2003 playoff game where no one punted, Colts come out on top. The Colts seem to have a knack for just ruining the Chiefs great seasons in the playoffs.

But still a year or more away on the D.

Plus depends now on what happens with Kelley
This is spot on. Offensively I have confidence they can score enough to be competitive with anyone. I still don’t believe in the defense at all though. I think they will struggle against any competent offense with an above average QB. NE, Pitt, K.C., and San Diego would give this D fits in the playoffs. We all knew everything couldn’t be fixed in one year though. I’d love to see them get there, but those early season losses leave little room for error.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

If we could somehow spoil the playoffs for KC again I'd count this season a wild massive success. From a team-building perspective it is probably "better" for us to miss the playoffs but with how well they're playing it's too fun to hope for draft picks at this point.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
southside asshole (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,059 Posts

They are putting the poor start behind them. They have gone on a second half run as many of us predicted. Let’s see how they deal with success. Consistency may be the hardest thing to do in the NFL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
sherck (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 02:49 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

This season is coming together perfectly. While it will be entertaining to watch the team make a playoff push in 2018, the real prize is all the improvements that are setting up the 2019 team as a legitimate contender.
The Following User Says Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
sherck (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM

Let's not get carried away. Almost every team has had a game or two that they've been dominant. Colts are capable of dominating teams, but they, like any team can be dominated too. This is a good run they're on right now, but they need to continue taking care of business. I want to see them get tested and make a strong come back. They should win their next 2 games and go into the Texans game at 7 and 5. If they can win that game, maybe they can win the division, but the Texans have an easy schedule left.
JAFF (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:12 PM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
If we could somehow spoil the playoffs for KC again I'd count this season a wild massive success. From a team-building perspective it is probably "better" for us to miss the playoffs but with how well they're playing it's too fun to hope for draft picks at this point.
Yeah we are headed for .500 which is a bad place to be. Not good enough to win, not bad enough to get good draft slots.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanked 2,261 Times in 1,218 Posts

How many times would a Pagano led team been blown out after 10 games?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
JAFF (11-20-2018), nate505 (11-19-2018), Racehorse (11-19-2018), sherck (11-20-2018)