ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-27-2022, 08:20 PM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

That's not necessarily the same correlation.

Reich has been the Colts' head coach since 2018, and is in his 5th season with the team.

On the other hand, the starting quarterbacks in Reich's tenure have been Andrew Luck (2018). Jacoby Brissett (2019), Philip Rivers (2020), Carson Wentz (2021), Matt Ryan (2022), and now Sam Ehlinger (2022.)

I'm not necessarily saying that the Colts won't fire Reich at the end of this season, because they might ...... but the fact that they have gone threw a slew of starting quarterbacks in the last 5 seasons is not necessarily comparable to whether or not they will give the heave-ho to a head coach who has been here throughout those 5 seasons.

o
You really can't count Luck, Jacoby, or Rivers....Luck quit, Jacoby was never going to be the long term answer here, and Rivers was what we thought he was and his retiring was no surprise. That leaves Wentz, a guy we paid a big price for and even though we could have got stuck big time, Irsay still pulled the trigger on him after one season. We are 7 games in and it appears he is insisting we pull Ryan....just my opinion, but if I am Reich I am not joining a spring bowling league till we make the playoffs!
Old 10-27-2022, 08:48 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,271 Times in 2,018 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post

You really can't count Luck, Jacoby, or Rivers ...... Luck quit, Jacoby was never going to be the long term answer here, and Rivers was what we thought he was and his retiring was no surprise. That leaves Wentz, a guy we paid a big price for and even though we could have got stuck big time, Irsay still pulled the trigger on him after one season. We are 7 games in and it appears he is insisting we pull Ryan....just my opinion, but if I am Reich I am not joining a spring bowling league till we make the playoffs !!! )

o

Irsay might fire Reich even if the Colts do make the playoffs.

I don't think that the jettisoning of Wentz in the off-season and/or Ryan during this current season will necessarily have much bearing on his decision.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 10-27-2022, 08:53 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Looks like Austin TX figured out that Ehlinger is starting this week

Brylok (10-28-2022), CletusPyle (10-27-2022), Colts And Orioles (10-27-2022), IndyNorm (10-29-2022), Racehorse (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc View Post
These are valid points but the thing to keep in mind is, as Bowen points out, Jim GENUINELY believes that this team will be BETTER with Ehlinger at quarterback. He thinks forcing this change will be the catalyst that sends this team to the playoffs.

He may be the only one who thinks that and he may actually be crazy, but his opinion is the only one that matters.
No question the guy has the right as the owner to demand whatever he wants. Whether its a good idea or not is a different question. I feel like in recent years, Irsay has been gradually been conditioning himself to become more and more involved in personnel decisions. He gets largely positive press when he allegedly demanded that Carson Wentz be run out of town, which only encourages him further. He then posts comments like his infamous "all chips in" statement which sounds OK at the time, and again fuels his personal perception that he's a badass owner laying down the law.

But this also makes him more personally accountable when things don't go right...which then makes him inject himself further into personnel decisions. Less publicly-involved owners can let things play out and then make rational decisions from their desk without the unnecessary public pressure of having these kind of comments thrown back to them constantly. It's entirely self-created, and I think destructive unless you think that Irsay knows better than Ballard/Reich how to address the situation. I don't.

Perhaps I'm overstating all of this, I don't know. It just feels like a terrible decision, and unless Ehlinger lights it up it will make the Colts look like they are just as clueless as the rest of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (10-30-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 09:13 PM

Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
No question the guy has the right as the owner to demand whatever he wants. Whether its a good idea or not is a different question. I feel like in recent years, Irsay has been gradually been conditioning himself to become more and more involved in personnel decisions. He gets largely positive press when he allegedly demanded that Carson Wentz be run out of town, which only encourages him further. He then posts comments like his infamous "all chips in" statement which sounds OK at the time, and again fuels his personal perception that he's a badass owner laying down the law.

But this also makes him more personally accountable when things don't go right...which then makes him inject himself further into personnel decisions. Less publicly-involved owners can let things play out and then make rational decisions from their desk without the unnecessary public pressure of having these kind of comments thrown back to them constantly. It's entirely self-created, and I think destructive unless you think that Irsay knows better than Ballard/Reich how to address the situation. I don't.

Perhaps I'm overstating all of this, I don't know. It just feels like a terrible decision, and unless Ehlinger lights it up it will make the Colts look like they are just as clueless as the rest of us.
I would feel like it's a terrible decision if I thought it could get much worse. I'm sure it can get worse, but man, this offense in all but one, maybe two games if we're being generous, has just flat out sucked. Like badly, and most of it is due to horrible pass protection and Ryan having the mobility of a sloth on quaaludes. At the very least I hope Ehlinger can figure out how to run for a first down or two.
Racehorse (10-28-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 10:32 PM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate505 View Post
I would feel like it's a terrible decision if I thought it could get much worse. I'm sure it can get worse, but man, this offense in all but one, maybe two games if we're being generous, has just flat out sucked. Like badly, and most of it is due to horrible pass protection and Ryan having the mobility of a sloth on quaaludes. At the very least I hope Ehlinger can figure out how to run for a first down or two.
Some fans are ready to pack it in but I'm not there yet. Could get there soon, but not yet. Like you said, this disaster on offense and somehow we're still 3-3-1 with 10 games left. All he has to do is not be a disaster. Anything extra would be a bonus. But we haven't seen anything from him, so all we can do is speculate.

His arm can't be weaker than Ryan's. His mobility is a plus IF he has poise (obviously the O-line has to do its part). Using mobility wisely like 2018 Andrew Luck is one thing. Becoming hero Carson Wentz after every first read would be ugly.

I'm really hoping his mobility will also help in the run game. Not by scrambling, but possibly by doing some wider runs + play-action/boot + misdirection. We were more creative in run concepts last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:39 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,660 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Some fans are ready to pack it in but I'm not there yet. Could get there soon, but not yet. Like you said, this disaster on offense and somehow we're still 3-3-1 with 10 games left. All he has to do is not be a disaster. Anything extra would be a bonus. But we haven't seen anything from him, so all we can do is speculate.

His arm can't be weaker than Ryan's. His mobility is a plus IF he has poise (obviously the O-line has to do its part). Using mobility wisely like 2018 Andrew Luck is one thing. Becoming hero Carson Wentz after every first read would be ugly.

I'm really hoping his mobility will also help in the run game. Not by scrambling, but possibly by doing some wider runs + play-action/boot + misdirection. We were more creative in run concepts last year.
You underestimate the weakness of Sam Ehlinger's arm. I'm just hoping this disaster of a decision nets the Colts a high enough pick that they can draft a franchise QB and we can all look back on this and laugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
TheMugwump (10-30-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 12:52 AM

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
You underestimate the weakness of Sam Ehlinger's arm. I'm just hoping this disaster of a decision nets the Colts a high enough pick that they can draft a franchise QB and we can all look back on this and laugh.
Ehlinger is not particularly weak this season. He has improved in that area and I would definitely put him above Rivers, Brees and Ryan.

The important thing is that Ehlinger can make off schedule throws, not have to have his feet set and not have to put his whole body into certain throws.

Also, this is not a disaster of a decision. The best we were going to finish was 9-7-1 w/Ryan anyway.

Who the fuck wants that, who going to get excited about that? Not me. If we 9-7-1 with Ehlinger, then maybe there's something to build on. If we go 6-9-1 (which I expect we will), then Ballard has to find a way to parlay that into the future QB.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Spike (10-28-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 09:00 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Irsay might fire Reich even if the Colts do make the playoffs.

I don't think that the jettisoning of Wentz in the off-season and/or Ryan during this current season will necessarily have much bearing on his decision.

o
You may be right about Reich being fired, playoffs or not? I don't think his decisions on Wentz or Ryan have any impact on his decision to keep or fire Reich, but I think it shows that his patience is wearing thin, he wants to win now and he will not hesitate to make any move that he feels will hasten that outcome.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:42 AM

Thanked 1,664 Times in 795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Maybe I am. But I'm only comparing him to 2022 Matt Ryan. Looking at some preseason throws (forget coverage, decisions, etc.), his motion looks a little different than last year and I don't see any throws that I feel would've had more zip if Ryan threw them.

If anything, a throw like vs. DET where he's drifting left, doesn't set, and throws it 51yds in the air is one that Ryan can't make anymore.

I'm really not trying to delude myself over this kid. I'm just trying to look for some elements they claim to see during practice. They promoted him 2-3 weeks ago. Could just all be bullshit and Ehlinger won't be worth a fuck.

Last edited by ChaosTheory; 10-28-2022 at 12:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-28-2022)