ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 PM
Banned

They knew we wanted to run and we knew they knew we wanted to run and we still run and won. I've literally never seen a Colts team do that. Not that I can remember. It ruled.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flexo For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (10-07-2019), Pez (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexo View Post
They knew we wanted to run and we knew they knew we wanted to run and we still run and won. I've literally never seen a Colts team do that. Not that I can remember. It ruled.
Have seen it done to the Colts many times.... It was nice seeing it done by the Colts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (10-07-2019), Ironshaft (10-08-2019), Racehorse (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Truly great win last night, but it troubles me that despite our dominant O-line, our QB managed only a meager 151 yards on 29 pass attempts (5.1 yard average) and rarely attempted - much less completed - any passes over 10 yards. He needs to improve for us to get to the promised land.
Agreed.
His inability to take advantage of all-out blitz packages is also a big worry. There were a couple of plays yesterday where, had he made the right adjustment, he could easily have torched the blitzing Chiefs. He just holds on to the ball too long, scrambles out of the pocket and comes up with nothing.
Chaka (10-08-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Truly great win last night, but it troubles me that despite our dominant O-line, our QB managed only a meager 151 yards on 29 pass attempts (5.1 yard average) and rarely attempted - much less completed - any passes over 10 yards. He needs to improve for us to get to the promised land.
I agree. What you're pointing out just further highlights how frustratingly painful Andrew Luck's decision to retire was.

We have a lot in place of what's needed to be a truly elite team. We have the elite head coach. We have a really good GM. We have an elite offensive line. Our offensive playmakers are good but could use a few upgrades. Our defense is still bad (although last night indicates otherwise), but we have an uber-elite defensive stud in tow who's only in his second season.

We're just missing the QB. Luck is/was good enough to cover up some of the other flaws that are still pretty glaring. Brissett, as good of a locker room guy and leader he is, isn't good enough to consistently cover up those weaknesses.

This is going to be a season of extreme highs and extreme lows because it's so heavily dependent on our so-so/mediocre QB. But I am excited about the franchise's future with Reich and Ballard leading the way. We really are just an upgrade at QB away from being back into contender status. Unfortunately, upgrading at QB is no small feat, especially if the expectation is to find someone of Luck's caliber or at least 90% of Luck's caliber.
The Following User Says Thank You to WaynesWorld87 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaynesWorld87 View Post
I agree. What you're pointing out just further highlights how frustratingly painful Andrew Luck's decision to retire was.

We have a lot in place of what's needed to be a truly elite team. We have the elite head coach. We have a really good GM. We have an elite offensive line. Our offensive playmakers are good but could use a few upgrades. Our defense is still bad (although last night indicates otherwise), but we have an uber-elite defensive stud in tow who's only in his second season.

We're just missing the QB. Luck is/was good enough to cover up some of the other flaws that are still pretty glaring. Brissett, as good of a locker room guy and leader he is, isn't good enough to consistently cover up those weaknesses.

This is going to be a season of extreme highs and extreme lows because it's so heavily dependent on our so-so/mediocre QB. But I am excited about the franchise's future with Reich and Ballard leading the way. We really are just an upgrade at QB away from being back into contender status. Unfortunately, upgrading at QB is no small feat, especially if the expectation is to find someone of Luck's caliber or at least 90% of Luck's caliber.
Disagree. New York Giants under Parcells- that's what a friend characterized us as in this new version, and it fits perfectly. They had Phil Simms at QB, he was never asked to be Dan Marino, he was asked to play good football and make great decisions and to rely on the strength of the team around him, call it game manager if you need, but he constantly put the team in a position to win. They were a constant SB threat behind a brilliant coach, a great running game and a tremendous D. You can't name a WR from that era, they had a great TE in Bavaro but never had a standout WR for Simms to throw to but time and time again their coach proved he was better than the others in the league. I think that's exactly what we have in Frank.

I fully believe a tandem of Ballard and Reich are the perfect guys to construct a team that is contrarian to the current cheat code offenses proliferating the landscape, a team that just imposes their will. Without the massive investment at the QB position you can build up a lot of skill in different areas. I loved the arcade level excitement of the Manning years throwing the ball all over the field, but all that top end offensive expense, it got us one title.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-08-2019), smitty46953 (10-08-2019), TheMugwump (10-11-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Disagree. New York Giants under Parcells- that's what a friend characterized us as in this new version, and it fits perfectly. They had Phil Simms at QB, he was never asked to be Dan Marino, he was asked to play good football and make great decisions and to rely on the strength of the team around him, call it game manager if you need, but he constantly put the team in a position to win. They were a constant SB threat behind a brilliant coach, a great running game and a tremendous D. You can't name a WR from that era, they had a great TE in Bavaro but never had a standout WR for Simms to throw to but time and time again their coach proved he was better than the others in the league. I think that's exactly what we have in Frank.

I fully believe a tandem of Ballard and Reich are the perfect guys to construct a team that is contrarian to the current cheat code offenses proliferating the landscape, a team that just imposes their will. Without the massive investment at the QB position you can build up a lot of skill in different areas. I loved the arcade level excitement of the Manning years throwing the ball all over the field, but all that top end offensive expense, it got us one title.
I don't think Parcells would have been happy if Simms had put up a stat line like Brisset's in KC.

Look, all Wayne'sWorld was saying is that seeing the team play like they did in KC makes you think "What if?"

Last edited by Chaka; 10-08-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:13 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
I don't think Parcells would have been happy if Simms had put up a stat line like Brisset's in KC.

Look, all Wayne'sWorld was saying is that seeing the team play like they did in KC makes you think "What if?"
I understand the what if, and it's intriguing as it's hard to think that Luck probably hasn't gashed some of those zero blitzes for TD's, that said, Luck also probably has at least a couple more picks than JB has right now because let's face it, Luck was never guilty of being the most accurate passer in the NFL.

Simms was a 55% passer and passed for an average of just a tad over 200 per game (yeah I know it was a far different era...). What we saw as a fairly crappy game by JB Sunday- he was at 62%. He had a bad INT for sure, but that's only his 3rd through 3 games, that's certainly tolerable when you have a running game that 3 times in 5 games has rushed for more than we have passed for.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post

I'm not saying it can't happen, but has any team in the last 15 years won a SB with that strategy?
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 08:07 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I'm not saying it can't happen, but has any team in the last 15 years won a SB with that strategy?

Perhaps Peyton's win with the Broncos? PM put up some ridiculous numbers the first few years in Denver, but he was a shell of his former self in 2015 when they won it all. He was basically a game manager. They had a good running game and an awesome defense.

Here were Peyton's numbers over the 3 playoff games that year:

51 for 92 (55% comp), 539 yards, 5.9 Y/A, 2 TD, 1 INT

In two of the three playoff games, he didn't even throw a TD.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-08-2019), JAFF (10-09-2019), YDFL Commish (10-08-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Perhaps Peyton's win with the Broncos? PM put up some ridiculous numbers the first few years in Denver, but he was a shell of his former self in 2015 when they won it all. He was basically a game manager. They had a good running game and an awesome defense.

Here were Peyton's numbers over the 3 playoff games that year:

51 for 92 (55% comp), 539 yards, 5.9 Y/A, 2 TD, 1 INT

In two of the three playoff games, he didn't even throw a TD.
Point taken. I'm pretty sure we don't have the 2015 Broncos defense though.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (10-08-2019)