ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
Explains the interest in Jordan Love.
Has that been confirmed? That came from Dakich didn’t it? Honestly I think he can likes to troll colt fans and the Colts. Especially since Grigson is his boy. Also maybe why Ballard mentions Grigson’s kelvin Shepard deal.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:49 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

I’m fine with it. I didn’t think he had enough left to win a shootout. And at some point in the playoffs you will need your QB to get you there. It was just delaying the inevitable.

Time to look to the future. I don’t think the QB is on the roster yet.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 01-20-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
On another note, thinking back, I remember Polian saying that there are 3 positions you don't pass up if you can get a good one: a passer (QB), a pass rusher (DE/OLB/Edge), and a pass protector (LT). For the past 20 years or so, definitely the Polian era but also most of the Grigson era, it seemed like the Colts were set at those positions and struggled to fill everything else. Now under Ballard, it seems like everything else is filled well and they're struggling to fill those positions.
Good observation.

The LT situation is somewhat new. It will be interesting to see how that is addressed.

We do not have a pass rusher that is capable of changing the game, and we are still in "limbo" concerning quarterbacks.

Hopefully Rivers getting out of the way enables them to come up with some kind of plan at quarterback that is longer than one or two years. As I said in the other thread, I would hate to see us finally get the position addressed just for the rest of the team to regress (naturally) and we're back at the point where we have a Franchise QB trying to carry a less talented supporting cast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:10 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Good. Glad he got it out of the way early.

On another note, thinking back, I remember Polian saying that there are 3 positions you don't pass up if you can get a good one: a passer (QB), a pass rusher (DE/OLB/Edge), and a pass protector (LT). For the past 20 years or so, definitely the Polian era but also most of the Grigson era, it seemed like the Colts were set at those positions and struggled to fill everything else. Now under Ballard, it seems like everything else is filled well and they're struggling to fill those positions.
well..... ballard did have quite the large wrench thrown into his tenure. I know there are all the quotes saying its about more than one player, but Luck had to factor heavily into his decision to come to indy. Then the sudden retirement right before the season left him no room.

He built an extremely solid line, but again this is the first time he has had to deal with LT. Maybe you could criticize that he should have had a backup in place knowing that AC was nearing the end of his career, but there are opportunity costs that come with that.

Now pass rusher.... ok. but at least he has made moves by getting the likes houston and buckner. turay was looking good before he got hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Has that been confirmed? That came from Dakich didn’t it? Honestly I think he can likes to troll colt fans and the Colts. Especially since Grigson is his boy. Also maybe why Ballard mentions Grigson’s kelvin Shepard deal.
No it hasn’t
The Following User Says Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Just think of it this way, we'll be at the top of the heap of the Cam Newton sweepstakes
Old 01-20-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Just think of it this way, we'll be at the top of the heap of the Cam Newton sweepstakes
get the fuck out
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Session For This Useful Post:
Maniac (01-20-2021), Racehorse (01-20-2021), TheMugwump (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
If the reports about Ballard inquiring about Love are correct then this was not based on the Colts decision. The only way you say no to Rivers, especially this early, is if you already have something in place that’s an improvement. I do not believe Ballard is that big a gambler- or that irresponsible.
That’s a good data point to add to the mix, and I agree with your interpretation if the Love inquiry is true. I kinda question that report, though, since why would the Colts think the Packers would be willing to trade Love at this point, after the Packers have invested a year of development? The Packers drafted Love when they already had Rodgers in the fold and playing at a high level, so nothings really changed except Rodgers is a year older. And I really don’t see the Colts going into next year with an inexperienced QB at the helm, particularly one coming from another organization.

It is also possible Rivers sensed that the Colts were going to find someone else, and just decided to retire now rather than to drag it out. I would think the Colts would want to keep the appearance that Rivers is in play for as long as possible, so potential trade partners / free agents would not sense any urgency or desperation. So I suppose that works against my theory as well. I just have a hard time believing that Rivers had an abrupt change of heart on something as significant as retirement in a little more than a week.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
That’s a good data point to add to the mix, and I agree with your interpretation if the Love inquiry is true. I kinda question that report, though, since why would the Colts think the Packers would be willing to trade Love at this point, after the Packers have invested a year of development? The Packers drafted Love when they already had Rodgers in the fold and playing at a high level, so nothings really changed except Rodgers is a year older. And I really don’t see the Colts going into next year with an inexperienced QB at the helm, particularly one coming from another organization.

It is also possible Rivers sensed that the Colts were going to find someone else, and just decided to retire now rather than to drag it out. I would think the Colts would want to keep the appearance that Rivers is in play for as long as possible, so potential trade partners / free agents would not sense any urgency or desperation. So I suppose that works against my theory as well. I just have a hard time believing that Rivers had an abrupt change of heart on something as significant as retirement in a little more than a week.
This is what I was thinking. So unless they already have this figure out, it would have been better for us if PR informed the Colts of his decision in private and let it play out a while while they explore options.

Who cares if the fans and media would be informed. Seems we lose some leverage now that teams know we have to do something now
Chaka (01-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

I read somewhere today that Rivers called Reich middle of last week ?