ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 04:18 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
Polian believed in a good center and strong tackles. He treated the guards as recyclable and would use low round picks on them. He did not find a tackle to replace Glenn. Poor left tackle play was mitigated by Manning’s quick release. This was also a different time in oline play, teams could practice longer and work on technique. Today many oline attribute the decreased practice time from the CBA as the reason for decreased oline play across the league. Also may be why teams are spending higher picks for oline because they can’t develop them like they used to.

However, I think Polian’s olines were elevated by Manning. For years Manning was the highest hit QB in the league after release. I think it’s what led to his injury and decline. Too many high picks spent on skill positions. But Polian believed in a design of having a big three on offense and a dominant pass rusher on defense.

Great point. People forget that Peyton got rid of the ball fast and his command of the playcalling made the olines look a lot better than they actually were.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (06-19-2019), Coltsfever (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Let us not forget who gradually got more control within the Colts organization after the 2006 Championship.

I believe that had more to do with the poor drafting than any other factor.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 PM

Thanked 1,180 Times in 356 Posts

This is incredible, if anyone missed it today:

https://www.albertbridgecapital.com/...ay-in-the-game

My best friend is basically this guy's kid. Powerful read. I really felt this one. Forever a K-Mo fan.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoBigBlue88 For This Useful Post:
Chaka (06-20-2019), Pez (06-19-2019), Racehorse (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBigBlue88 View Post
This is incredible, if anyone missed it today:

https://www.albertbridgecapital.com/...ay-in-the-game

My best friend is basically this guy's kid. Powerful read. I really felt this one. Forever a K-Mo fan.
As a dog lover, I can really relate to this story. I have been through some down times like we all have but my dogs always keep me in the game.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:04 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.

Various starters on that line in the last 5-6 years of Polian's tenure:

Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).

And all these guys actually started. Look at the depth chart:

Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.

I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.
Great post...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Polian believed in a good center and strong tackles. He treated the guards as recyclable and would use low round picks on them. He did not find a tackle to replace Glenn. Poor left tackle play was mitigated by Manning’s quick release. This was also a different time in oline play, teams could practice longer and work on technique. Today many oline attribute the decreased practice time from the CBA as the reason for decreased oline play across the league. Also may be why teams are spending higher picks for oline because they can’t develop them like they used to.

However, I think Polian’s olines were elevated by Manning. For years Manning was the highest hit QB in the league after release. I think it’s what led to his injury and decline. Too many high picks spent on skill positions. But Polian believed in a design of having a big three on offense and a dominant pass rusher on defense.
Yeah he did. He drafted Costanzo. He also drafted Charlie Johnson, who played for the Colts and then they lost him in free agency, cap problems.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh23.htm

Part of it was the cap, part of it was Howard Mudd. He could work with guys like Llija and ________ and make them searvicable. But he drafted Jake Scott and we lost him to free agency. Polian was working with a tighter cap and he made his own problems when he hit on so many players.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm

And remember, all that winning kept putting the Colts at the back end of the draft year after year. He hit on a bunch of late round guys who played long careers. Go look at the list. He had guys who were lost to free agency who played a long time. If there was a "failure", they should have let some guys go sooner than later, and kept the young guys.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:47 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
I'm not dismissing the great things Polian did. More could have been done on defense. I just wish we would have won more SBs.. was that all on Polian? Absolutely not. I just feel Ballard is placing more emphasis in that area so far. We will see if it ends in more SBs.
Like Jerry Hughes? A douche bag here, and he figgured out if he didn't get his butt in gear he was out of the league after the Colts let him go. Its' a crap shoot on the draft. Antone Bethea is still playing, and he was a 6th rounder?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Like Jerry Hughes? A douche bag here, and he figgured out if he didn't get his butt in gear he was out of the league after the Colts let him go. Its' a crap shoot on the draft. Antone Bethea is still playing, and he was a 6th rounder?
Every team has to decide what to emphasize. Where to invest the limited resources they have. Polian chose to play to Manning’s strengths - skill position players on O and a D that was designed to play with a lead. On the surface it makes some sense. However the team would have been better off to put resources into areas that would have allowed them to win when Manning wasn’t brilliant. Building a D that didn’t need a two touchdown lead to be at its best would be the best example. A stronger offensive line that could move the pile to get a yard when needed is another.

That change in philosophy needed to be made early in the building process. Once they started drafting at the bottom of every round and the cap space was tied up in the core of skill position players it became much harder to change the teams direction and identity. I’m thankful that, so far, Ballard doesn’t appear to be repeating that mistake (although like a few others I’m a little worried about the size of the interior D line).
Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Yeah he did. He drafted Costanzo. He also drafted Charlie Johnson, who played for the Colts and then they lost him in free agency, cap problems.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JohnCh23.htm

Part of it was the cap, part of it was Howard Mudd. He could work with guys like Llija and ________ and make them searvicable. But he drafted Jake Scott and we lost him to free agency. Polian was working with a tighter cap and he made his own problems when he hit on so many players.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm

And remember, all that winning kept putting the Colts at the back end of the draft year after year. He hit on a bunch of late round guys who played long careers. Go look at the list. He had guys who were lost to free agency who played a long time. If there was a "failure", they should have let some guys go sooner than later, and kept the young guys.
Castonzo was drafted by his son and they were on their way out because they couldn’t fill those talent holes that they used to. Also Castonzo was just ok early in his career, not exactly a pass blocking prodigy. I think he was a poor fit for that system. Johnson was serviceable, and really did little once he moved on. Remember Ugoh beat him out initially for the job, Ugoh actually looked pretty good very early on then declined rapidly. Johnson benefited from Manning’s play, and was really on the field because he was the only one healthy.

As for the other stuff, doesn’t really change anything I said.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 06-19-2019 at 11:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Luck4Reich (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Castonzo was drafted by his son and they were on their way out because they couldn’t fill those talent holes that they used to. Also Castonzo was just ok early in his career, not exactly a pass blocking prodigy. I think he was a poor fit for that system. Johnson was serviceable, and really did little once he moved on. Remember Ugoh beat him out initially for the job, Ugoh actually looked pretty good very early on then declined rapidly. Johnson benefited from Manning’s play, and was really on the field because he was the only one healthy.

As for the other stuff, doesn’t really change anything I said.
Polian was in charge, and took the blame.