ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 06-16-2019, 12:44 AM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
Seems unnecessarily early, but good to have him locked up. Will be interesting to see what the exact contract details are.
Contracts keep going up, locking him in now will make the later years look like a bargain if he continues to stay healthy and play at a high level.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butter For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (06-16-2019), Racehorse (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Here you go

http://https://profootballtalk.nbcsp...-rest-of-team/
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 PM
Accidental Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
It took a decade to get together a good OL for this team

No need to get rid of a key piece now and risk destroying all that

Castonzo should be back
All respect, but it didnt take a decade. It took two years. Fuck polian and fuck grigson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"I want to dominate all my opponents, and take their will away to play the game, by each play, and finishing them past the whistle."
Old 06-17-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
So it's a true extension then - he's under contract for five more seasons (2019-2023) following this extension, and we've bought out three of his free agent years.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
All respect, but it didnt take a decade. It took two years. Fuck polian and fuck grigson.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
We had two GMs before Ballard that didnt understand you win in the trenches. Wasted a lot of years with 2 great QBs... should have won a minimum of 4 SBs with Manning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (06-17-2019), Pez (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck4Reich View Post
We had two GMs before Ballard that didnt understand you win in the trenches. Wasted a lot of years with 2 great QBs... should have won a minimum of 4 SBs with Manning.
I dont understand that comment. When Polian got here there was T Glen. He found Diem And scott in the draft' Liljia off the KC pratice squad and pulled Saturday out of his ass.

He drafted linemen, Costanzo for one. He had some misses, like His successor. He drafted two potential HOF DE’s. He found WIL for dungy and two outstanding safties, Sansders and Bethea.

Polian did his job, coaches need to coach and players need to play. You want a legit complaint, Caldwells TO against the Jets
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (06-18-2019), Pez (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
I dont understand that comment. When Polian got here there was T Glen. He found Diem And scott in the draft' Liljia off the KC pratice squad and pulled Saturday out of his ass.

He drafted linemen, Costanzo for one. He had some misses, like His successor. He drafted two potential HOF DE’s. He found WIL for dungy and two outstanding safties, Sansders and Bethea.

Polian did his job, coaches need to coach and players need to play. You want a legit complaint, Caldwells TO against the Jets
I'm not dismissing the great things Polian did. More could have been done on defense. I just wish we would have won more SBs.. was that all on Polian? Absolutely not. I just feel Ballard is placing more emphasis in that area so far. We will see if it ends in more SBs.

Last edited by Luck4Reich; 06-17-2019 at 07:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luck4Reich For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (06-17-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.
Various starters on that line in the last 5-6 years of Polian's tenure:
Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).
And all these guys actually started. Look at the depth chart:
Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.
I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Discflinger (06-18-2019), Oldcolt (06-18-2019), Pez (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I don't think Polian put enough emphasis in offensive lineman. Moore was a genius at getting guys to play well together but they just did not have the physicality that you can get with high draft choices. There is a reason everyone considered us soft (we were-if that even can apply to a football team) during Polian's reign and nobody but nobody would say that about this team now. We will see if this philosophy (spend high draft choices in building your offensive line) gets us more championships than the last one. I like it a lot better and have been wanting us to go down this route for decades.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
Polian's problem is that he didn't have a successor plan in place for the OL. In the early 2000s it was a great line. Tarik Glenn, Saturday, Scott, Diem, Lilja, DeMulling, all in their prime. By 2010, if not sooner, Lilja, Diem, and Saturday were getting old, Glenn, Scott, Peko and DeMulling were gone - and we didn't have guys waiting in the wings to take over. Hell, it wasn't until Castonzo was picked that they even found a replacement for Glenn. That was about a 4 year gap of failures.
Various starters on that line in the last 5-6 years of Polian's tenure:
Mike Pollack, Charlie Johnson (was good depth but never a true starter), Kyle Devan, Tony Ugoh, Jeff Linkenbach, Joe Reitz (another good depth but never a true starter).
And all these guys actually started. Look at the depth chart:
Seth Olsen, Mike Tepper, Quinn Ojinakka, Michael Toudouze, Jamey Richard, Jaimie Thomas, Jacques Mclendon.
I could go on, but if that isn't a depressing list of O-lineman, I don't know what is.
Polian believed in a good center and strong tackles. He treated the guards as recyclable and would use low round picks on them. He did not find a tackle to replace Glenn. Poor left tackle play was mitigated by Manning’s quick release. This was also a different time in oline play, teams could practice longer and work on technique. Today many oline attribute the decreased practice time from the CBA as the reason for decreased oline play across the league. Also may be why teams are spending higher picks for oline because they can’t develop them like they used to.

However, I think Polian’s olines were elevated by Manning. For years Manning was the highest hit QB in the league after release. I think it’s what led to his injury and decline. Too many high picks spent on skill positions. But Polian believed in a design of having a big three on offense and a dominant pass rusher on defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Coltsfever (06-19-2019)