ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-23-2021, 02:28 PM

Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMugwump View Post
One of the ESPN Wonks did a column where he proposed trades for all 32 draft picks (they are all separate trades, so the same pick/guy could be traded in separate proposals).

This is what he proposed for Indy:

21. Indianapolis Colts
Colts get: 1-28, 3-98, 3-105
New Orleans Saints get: 1-21

Would you do it?

I would in a hot second. This seems like classic Ballard, to get two extra picks at the end of the third round to move down just seven spots? With it being a great year for OT, I can see something very similar to this happening.

If Ballard LT of choice will still be there in any trade down scenario, the n it's a no brainer.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
JAFF (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 06:32 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
If Ballard LT of choice will still be there in any trade down scenario, the n it's a no brainer.
I’m thinking it’s Cosmi
Old 04-23-2021, 07:50 PM

Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,177 Posts

Here were a few OT / DE tidbits from Al Breer this week from an article and a Q+A mailbag:

Article link:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/19/mm...rkout-squabble

Mailbag link:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/21/nf...falcons-trades

Quote:
While we’re on the subject of offensive linemen, this year’s group is really good, but calling it “great” might be a product of the dearth of linemen coming into the league in recent years and how hard it’s been for teams to build depth at those positions as a result. Sewell is probably the only elite, pure left tackle prospect in this year’s class (and he’s not without flaws, which we’ll get to in a minute). From there, you have a couple prospects that are bordering on elite, in Slater and Alijah Vera-Tucker, who might be better off at guard (depending on where they go). And after that, Virginia Tech’s Christian Darrisaw, who is a true tackle, but not quite at Sewell’s level, and a few other tackles (Notre Dame’s Liam Eichenberg and Texas’s Sam Cosmi) who are just solid, plus one (Michigan’s Jalen Mayfield) who’s got a lot of potential, but had a really rough predraft process (shaky pro day, etc.).
Quote:
It’s worth diving into Sewell a little bit more, because there’s just a lot there with the former Oregon star who opted out of the 2020 season. On one hand, as one scouting director said, “He’s 19 years old on the tape [from 2019], and he was a man on the film.” On the other, as another exec says, maturity remains an issue: “There’s a lot to sort through there, and there are lapses in play too. He doesn’t dominate all the time. But he’s a great athlete.” And he’s also right there with Parsons and Alabama’s Christian Barmore as fantastic talents with character flags, and guys who might have a harder time dispelling questions this year than they would in a normal year—because of the lack of opportunity to do so in person with teams.
Quote:
The edge-rusher group is intriguing in that it features a handful of striking athletes who need a lot of polish—and may wind up being two-year projects. Michigan’s Kwity Paye, still a bit raw, might be the most ready of them all, and could be first off the board (maybe as early as No. 11 to the Giants). After that, Miami’s Jaelan Phillips and Greg Rousseau, and Penn State’s Jayson Oweh all have freakish natural ability, but need plenty of development (and there’s a ton to sort through off the field with Phillips). It would be interesting to see if a team like Cleveland, which has star pass-rushers and could afford to develop one, winds up getting good value by landing one of these guys and bringing them along over time.
Quote:
Q: Other than Farley and Parsons that could potentially slip, who else can you see fall?

A: To be clear here, Caleb Farley’s issues are health-related (back surgery), and Micah Parsons’s go back to his makeup/character. Both are freak athletes. Both are capable of being top-shelf pros at their position (Farley a cornerback, Parsons a linebacker). Farley needs a little luck. Parsons needs a little maturity. I know their blemishes aren’t disqualifying for some teams, so we’ll see who takes the plunge. If either reaches the back half of the first round, the value there could be sky-high.

Some others that have slid a little …

• Michigan OT Jalen Mayfield was banged up this year, playing just two games last fall, and didn’t work out well at his pro day. At this point, I’d be surprised if he goes the first round.

• I don’t think Minnesota WR Rashod Bateman is falling so much as some of the speedy slot receivers (Ole Miss’s Elijah Moore, Florida’s Kadarius Toney) have passed him. Part of that, too, is just the NFL trending toward players like that (call it the Tyreek Hill Effect).

• Oklahoma State OL Teven Jenkins and RB Chuba Hubbard are two others who’ve slid. There are concerns over Jenkins’s injury history (back) and makeup, and Hubbard’s a back whose calling card, lacking elusiveness, was speed, and he only ran in the 4.5s.

• Miami DE Greg Rousseau is another opt-out who could have used a great spring and has just been so-so in the run-up to the draft.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
apballin (04-23-2021), Spike (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 07:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
Here were a few OT / DE tidbits from Al Breer this week from an article and a Q+A mailbag:

Article link:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/19/mm...rkout-squabble

Mailbag link:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/04/21/nf...falcons-trades
Wow, whoever wrote that hasn't watched Teven Jenkins or Jaelan Phillips. Not even mentioning Jenkins among the tackle class is crazy to me, and one of the biggest pluses about Phillips is his technical soundness and that he rushes with a plan. The whole retirement thing on Phillips is overblown, too, he was forced to retire by UCLA.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:30 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I hope it is not Phillips. He 'retired' because UCLA docs wouldn't clear him to play. He has had 3 diagnosed concussions. Those can end badly.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:44 PM
Doom -N- Gloom

Thanked 1,138 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I hope it is not Phillips. He 'retired' because UCLA docs wouldn't clear him to play. He has had 3 diagnosed concussions. Those can end badly.
If Ballard wouldn’t touch Sweatt, people having the colts pick that dude in any mock have no clue what they’re talking about. No fuckin way Ballard would take a guy with concussion issues in the 1st round if at all
Old 04-23-2021, 10:00 PM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
UCLA has a policy on concussions that if you get three, you're forced to retire, it's not about them not clearing him medically. He played all of 2020 with no injury issues, and if you look at his injury history, he's kind of had a lot of bad luck, like he was run over by a car while riding a scooter.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:31 AM

You act as if they just pulled 'if you get 3 concussions you cannot play' out of their ass. Getting three concussions were the reason he wasn't cleared to play. It puts him at increase risk. It is sound medical reasoning. To many of the heroes of my youth have been fucked up big time thru repeated head trauma. I don't think winning is worth that. So I prefer he find another way to make a living and certainly don't want my team drafting him. Before anybody has a shit fit I agree it is his right to do whatever he wants with his life. Would prefer the Colts don't get involved.

Last edited by Oldcolt; 04-24-2021 at 01:02 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
smitty46953 (04-24-2021), TheMugwump (04-24-2021)
Old 04-24-2021, 08:53 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
You act as if they just pulled 'if you get 3 concussions you cannot play' out of their ass. Getting three concussions were the reason he wasn't cleared to play. It puts him at increase risk. It is sound medical reasoning. To many of the heroes of my youth have been fucked up big time thru repeated head trauma. I don't think winning is worth that. So I prefer he find another way to make a living and certainly don't want my team drafting him. Before anybody has a shit fit I agree it is his right to do whatever he wants with his life. Would prefer the Colts don't get involved.
Has the NFL disqualified him? If not, he could be drafted by some team. I think using a first or second would be taking a big gamble.

What are the odds he suffers another concussion playing a game where you NEED to wear a helmet?
Old 04-24-2021, 09:26 AM

You are between 3-9 times more likely to have a concussion after you have had three. The real question is what are the odds of getting CTE. You are correct about the legality and that, from a football standpoint, it may be a good gamble. The 'gamble' is with a mans future intellectual function. I don't want us to be part of that gamble, that's all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
JAFF (04-25-2021)