ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-17-2023, 08:03 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default Doyel: Stay calm, but signing Minshew MEANS ANTHONY RICHARDSON IS NEXT

https://www.indystar.com/story/sport...n/70018480007/

Quote:

Stay calm, stay calm, stay calm, BUT THIS IS NOT A DRILL. This is really happening. Gardner Minshew? Sure, he’s happening, but if he were all that was happening, well, there’d be no need to stay calm. You’d already be calm. The Indianapolis Colts signing of journeyman quarterback Gardner Minshew on Thursday is a big deal not because of Gardner Minshew, but because of Anthony Richardson.

It’s like this: Gardner Minshew in 2023 equals Anthony Richardson in 2024. It’s math, people.

Now, this is an algebraic form of math, which means unknown variables. In algebra we call an unknown variable an “X.” As an example: 3X = 15, because X = 5.

I know, nobody told you there’d be math here. But this Gardner Minshew news has me using numbers you can see, and smacking my head with a hand you can’t see, and damn near has me speaking in tongues. Because Anthony Richardson!!!!

I mean gwababa wowow OMG and also: YOWZERS!

Mar 4, 2023; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Florida quarterback Anthony Richardson (QB11) participates in drills at Lucas Oil Stadium.
Seriously, Florida’s Anthony Richardson is that exciting. That dangerous, too, but let’s not focus on the negative today, please? Today let’s pretend we know all the variables in this equation, starting with this:

Carolina, with the No. 1 overall pick, will take Alabama quarterback Bryce Young or Ohio State QB C.J. Stroud. And then Houston, with the No. 2 pick, will take whichever of those two is left. Arizona, which has Kyler Murray at quarterback, won’t take a quarterback with the third pick – or the Cardinals will trade that pick to the Colts, who currently hold the No. 4 pick – which means, in either case, the Colts will get Richardson.

Now, that “X” being a variable, the Panthers could use the No. 1 pick on Richardson. They did sign veteran QB Andy Dalton this week, after all, theoretically to be their starting quarterback in 2023 while the rookie they draft can sit and learn. Do either Young or Stroud need to sit and learn? Probably not, but a year off wouldn’t hurt either. However, Carolina has a known QB whisperer at coach – his name is Frank Reich, something like that – and perhaps the Panthers are thinking of drafting the raw Richardson first, and having him learn under Reich, and behind Dalton.

Wouldn’t that be the Frank Reich-iest move ever? For him to get fired here in midseason, get scapegoated, get replaced by Jeff Saturday for heaven’s sake, and then go to Carolina and take our guy, Anthony Richardson?

Yeah, I’m calling Richardson our guy, because it seems like the Colts could have no choice but to take him.

This whole topic – or my presentation of this topic – may be confusing to you. Here’s why: Young and Stroud are more of a sure thing than Richardson. They’re safer bets, and who knows how high their ceiling could be? Young could be another Drew Brees. Stroud could be really good, too. He’s big and accurate and poised and charming. He’s going to be just fine.

Doyel:If I'm the Colts I want Anthony Richardson ... but pick Bryce Young

But Richardson…

He’s all or nothing, that guy, which is why – in a vacuum – you wouldn’t advise the Colts to take him. Not if they had a shot at Young or Stroud. Frankly, Richardson is too big of a risk, if there are safer options available. Young and Stroud are much, much safer.

But if they’re gone? Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Because at that point the Colts would have permission, even an imperative, to draft Richardson. Sure we could be salty about it three years from now, if Richardson is a bust. And we probably would be, knowing us. But three years from now we’d need to remember that the Colts were rolling the dice on greatness back in 2023, that safer choices were gone, that they swung for the fences with Richardson.

Now, this story being full of “X” variables – don’t get me started on “XY” equations – the Colts could have the damn fool idea to draft Will Levis of Kentucky over Richardson. I mean, this is the same organization that decided Philip Rivers wasn’t about to retire in 2020, that Carson Wentz wasn’t about to immolate in 2021, that Matt Ryan wasn’t about to stumble over the cliff in 2022. The Colts are capable of anything, including taking Levis over Richardson.

Why am I so down on Levis? Two names: Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen. Levis played at Kentucky like Darnold played at Southern California, physically gifted but full of mistakes and turnovers. And those mistakes, those turnovers, will go away at the next level? Don’t think so. They didn’t for Darnold. They won’t for Levis.

As for Rosen, you might recall how cocky that guy was after the 2018 NFL Draft, when he made like a tough guy and vowed to embarrass every team that chose not to take him.

Josh Rosen might be the single worst quarterback in recent NFL history. He’s on his third or fourth team … in the XFL. Maybe. Honestly I don’t care, and while Google probably could tell me where Rosen is, I’m embarrassed to type his name into the search engine. Google’s spyware might think I’m an idiot.

Enough about Rosen, other than to say: Will Levis, at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine, was as cocky as Rosen had been after that 2018 Draft.

Again: Will Levis plays like Sam Darnold and talks like Josh Rosen.

No thanks.

Anthony Richardson made some mistakes last year at Florida, too. He’s not perfect. But that was his first full season as a starter. He’s such a project. Hell, truth is, Will Levis could be safer than Richardson. Levis has a longer, Sam Darnold-like track record, which means he could be a serviceable pro. Maybe Levis could even be better than Darnold. His arm is, after all, a cannon. He told us so. This guy…

But Richardson’s physical gifts are off the charts. Literally, after decades of NFL scouting combines, there was a chart for QB workouts. And Richardson went off it. Best workout ever for that position. He’s big and powerful like an outside linebacker, explosive like a safety, fast like a No. 1 receiver … and can throw the ball 60 yards with a flick of the wrist.

Would Richardson pan out for the Colts? No idea, but listen to this: Their new coach, Shane Steichen, sounds to me like a future QB whisperer. I believe in Steichen. Granted, he hasn’t sat in the big chair long enough for any of us to know. But the way quarterbacks of varying skills sets have played under his tutelage, the way Steichen talks and carries himself, the things people say about him … I think Steichen could be the real deal.

Pair a real-deal coach with the most exciting QB prospect since … well, since forever … and see what happens.

If in three years Richardson is backing up Josh Rosen in an arena league somewhere, I sure will be sorry. But if he’s winning MVP honors in Carolina, I’ll be sick.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (12-07-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:13 AM

Doyle is a slobber drooling moron and is most likely wrong. Not sure how that fucktard keeps a job.
CletusPyle (03-17-2023), Racehorse (03-17-2023), smitty46953 (03-17-2023), Spike (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:47 AM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lov2fish View Post
Doyle is a slobber drooling moron and is most likely wrong. Not sure how that fucktard keeps a job.
Exactly my thoughts on Ballard. I don’t know who Doyle is so I will just go ahead & agree with you
Old 03-17-2023, 10:52 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I wasted time ready this shit. What an asinine article. How does this guy keep his job?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (03-17-2023), Racehorse (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 928 Posts
Thumbs up

I’m getting more and more on board for Richardson, I’m just not sure he’ll still be there.

The guy has generational physical talent. Lets see if Steichen can teach him to play quarterback.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoopsdoc For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (03-17-2023), omahacolt (03-18-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 10:53 AM

Thanked 1,477 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
Exactly my thoughts on Ballard. I don’t know who Doyle is so I will just go ahead & agree with you

He is correct, doyle is trash. But I dont read into this signing. Either Minshew is backup to whoever we get, who can also help mentor since he know steichens offense. Or if for some reason we dont get a QB at 3-4 then we roll with him and shoot a wad for caleb next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Colts And Orioles (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:00 AM

Thanked 1,339 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
No doubt. It's super annoying when he takes little snippets of quotes, pieces them together, and states this is what's going to happen like he did when he guaranteed we'd be hiring the KC ST Coordinator as our HC in '18 and like he did with his article on Bryce Young. It's also super annoying when he gets a bug up his ass about certain players and doesn't let it go while giving other guys a complete pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Lov2fish (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:03 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

I think taking a chance in AR is the way to go. There was improvement in his game as the year wore on. His TD/INT ratio over his last 6 games was 12-2. He also did a full interview, taking complete blame for the loss, after his debacle against Kentucky, his worst game. He didn’t have to speak to the press but did anyway. I like that. Dude will sit for a year probably but the upside is incredible (as is his downside )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (03-17-2023), Hoopsdoc (03-17-2023), IndyNorm (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:13 AM

Thanked 1,663 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
I wasted time ready this shit. What an asinine article. How does this guy keep his job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyNorm View Post
No doubt. It's super annoying when he takes little snippets of quotes, pieces them together, and states this is what's going to happen like he did when he guaranteed we'd be hiring the KC ST Coordinator as our HC in '18 and like he did with his article on Bryce Young. It's also super annoying when he gets a bug up his ass about certain players and doesn't let it go while giving other guys a complete pass.
He keeps his job because of the above responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey 5 View Post
The answer is he is Skip Bayless in print. Your typical "hot takes" guy that gets a rise out of people.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
Dewey 5 (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 11:43 AM
"Still at Work"

Thanked 3,036 Times in 1,865 Posts

Richardson can't throw a 5 yard out route.
Lov2fish (03-17-2023)