ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Too bad we didn't do more for the OL in FA so they could've used all those picks for the defense.
If they sign Howard for right OT, I am then pretty good with then using all the 1st and 2nd round picks on other spots; mostly defense but I could see a RB or WR.

A starting O-Line of 'Stanzo / Mewhort / Kelly / Slauson / Howard with depth of Haeg / Good / Bond / Clark / Vujnovich is really pretty darn solid. That is replacing 3 of our "starters" from last year with upgrades and if they can stay healthy, represents a really solid potential line.

That said, the only potential long-term starter of the "new" group is Mewhort if he can stay healthy and get back to being a quality starter like he was early.

Both Slauson and Howard are 1 year rentals whom let the team get to next year's draft for long-term replacements or allows them to pick guys this year who need a year of maturity / seasoning in the 3rd / 4th rounds to hopefully slide into starting spots next year.

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
testcase448

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I agree. I want Luck protected as much as anyone, but that wouldn’t be the best use of picks. There are other ways to protect Luck than using two first rounders on OL prospects. Scheme will help as Reich has suggested. And building a D that helps keep Luck from having to throw 40 times a game will help as well.
As currently constituted if Luck tries to throw three times a game he won't last long. There aren't enough "schemes" to keep the complete dog shit we have in the O-line from letting Luck get killed.

And some run blocking will keep the other O off the field.

If the plan is to rebuild around Luck, you best invest in his well being, plus with the D they've built in Jackoffville you best get some offense on the field.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I wouldn't be upset if they used all 4 (or 5 if they can get the Bills to trade 12 and 22 for 6) top 50 picks on the front 7. I'm probably in the minority there, but there's a lot of quality DL and LB talent in the top 50 of this draft.
I am a big fan of improving the front 7. Mostly edge and LB with the current roster.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM

If Chubb is not there at #6, I am hoping that Ballard can do one more trade down to #8, #9 or #10, pick up one more 2nd round pick for the compensation and then pick one of (in order of preference):

LB Termaine Edmunds
LB RoquanSmith
CB Denzel Ward
SS Derwin James

That would give us, say we traded with CHI, the following picks in the 2nd round:

#36 overall (4th in 2nd round)
#37 overall (5th in 2nd round)
#39 overall (7th in 2nd round)
#49 overall (17th in 2nd round)

5 guys in the top 50, if picked well, would definantely give a jump start to our youth re-build.

Chubb is worth the #6 pick but otherwise? I would love to trade down one more time for one of these "2nd tier" guys (i.e. not Chubb, Nelson or Barkley).

Walk Worthy
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
VeveJones007 (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:46 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
If Chubb is not there at #6, I am hoping that Ballard can do one more trade down to #8, #9 or #10, pick up one more 2nd round pick for the compensation and then pick one of (in order of preference):

LB Termaine Edmunds
LB RoquanSmith
CB Denzel Ward
SS Derwin James

That would give us, say we traded with CHI, the following picks in the 2nd round:

5 guys in the top 50, if picked well, would definantely give a jump start to our youth re-build.

Chubb is worth the #6 pick but otherwise? I would love to trade down one more time for one of these "2nd tier" guys (i.e. not Chubb, Nelson or Barkley).

Walk Worthy
I'm fully on board with this, but remember that it takes two to tango. I'm not sure Chicago, SF, Oakland, or Miami would be willing to send a 2 to move up to #6 (unless a QB is there for Miami). I had recently held out hope that Chicago would do something silly to get Nelson, but they wouldn't have a 2nd or 3rd rounder in this situation.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:

LB Termaine Edmunds
LB RoquanSmith
CB Denzel Ward
SS Derwin James

Walk Worthy
Rather see Ballard trade down w/Buffalo, there is a lot of value in 12 & 22. Of course, I would be asking for more than 12 & 22.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Rather see Ballard trade down w/Buffalo, there is a lot of value in 12 & 22. Of course, I would be asking for more than 12 & 22.
That would be pretty nice, I would want at least a future 2 and some change.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 AM

From an NFL.com article published on the 16th written by Daniel Jeremaih and Bucky Brooks (located here):
Quote:
1) Josh Rosen is the QB most likely to slide: Everyone I've talked to around the league believes there will be three quarterbacks selected within the first five picks of the draft. That means someone out of the "big four" QBs -- USC's Sam Darnold, Wyoming's Josh Allen, Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield and UCLA's Rosen -- could slide a little bit.....

3) Colts are looking to trade down again: The Colts' roster is in bad shape and many around the league expect them to trade down from the No. 6 spot to gain more draft picks. As you'll recall, Indianapolis traded down from the No. 3 spot in a deal with the Jets last month. I would keep an eye on teams like the Bills and Cardinals as potential trade partners should their quarterback of choice make it to Indy's pick at No. 6.

4) Quenton Nelson's range is between picks 6-8: I have the Notre Dame guard rated as the No. 3 player in this class, but he's probably not going to be a top-five pick. Most evaluators expect the first five picks of the draft to consist of three quarterbacks, Bradley Chubb and Saquon Barkley. The teams picking next -- Colts (No. 6), Bucs (No. 7) and Bears (No. 8) -- would be ideal fits for Nelson.

5) Teams are in love with Georgia's Roquan Smith and Virginia Tech's Tremaine Edmunds: These two linebackers are universally praised by the executives I've spoken to in the last week. I've been asked this question multiple times: "Do you think either of those linebackers will be there when we pick?" To those teams picking outside the top 10, my answer is brief: "No."
Put that all together and it could mean that:

A. The only one of the "elite 3" non-QBs left on the board after pick 5 is Nelson.
B. If Colts trade out and someone picks up the last of the 4 big QBs with the #6 pick, then Nelson, Edmunds and Smith could be the next 3 picks off the board at 7/8/9.
C. Secondary should then go from 10 to the early teens with Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward probably being the best defensive players left on the board.
D. OT McGlincy should be somewhere in the mess of the top 15.
E. DT Vea should be somewhere in the mess of the top 15.

I think this all means that dropping to #12 means we will be "settling" for a Tier 1B players like Vea, McGlincey, Davenport, Alexander, Payne or LVE.

After Barkley, I don't feel like there are any offensive skill players in high demand until the late teens. I think it will be QB and defense in the top 15 except for Nelson (and Barkley).

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Seems crazy to me that two MLB/ILBs could go in the top 10. Especially in a draft with so many QB prospects. I was ok trading w/Buffalo because I figured then we'd get at least a top defensive front 7 player and then a good starter prospect in the 20s. But we can't devalue talent for quantity. We need difference-makers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatDT For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (04-17-2018), Oldcolt (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 AM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
From an NFL.com article published on the 16th written by Daniel Jeremaih and Bucky Brooks (located here):

Put that all together and it could mean that:

A. The only one of the "elite 3" non-QBs left on the board after pick 5 is Nelson.
B. If Colts trade out and someone picks up the last of the 4 big QBs with the #6 pick, then Nelson, Edmunds and Smith could be the next 3 picks off the board at 7/8/9.
C. Secondary should then go from 10 to the early teens with Fitzpatrick, James, and Ward probably being the best defensive players left on the board.
D. OT McGlincy should be somewhere in the mess of the top 15.
E. DT Vea should be somewhere in the mess of the top 15.

I think this all means that dropping to #12 means we will be "settling" for a Tier 1B players like Vea, McGlincey, Davenport, Alexander, Payne or LVE.

After Barkley, I don't feel like there are any offensive skill players in high demand until the late teens. I think it will be QB and defense in the top 15 except for Nelson (and Barkley).

Walk Worthy,
Keep in mind that TB, CHI, and OAK all desperately need help in the secondary. While the LBs are in play, I expect at least two of those teams to go DB.