ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 04-07-2018, 10:59 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,595 Times in 925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeveJones007 View Post
Hooker had a better rookie year than Allen and Harris. Allen also hit IR and Harris was a non factor.
Hooker is probably the best of the picks the Colts could've made there at this point given the scheme switch, I just hope he doesn't turn into Bob Sanders in terms of injuries. Reddick and Barnett getting taken the two picks ahead of the Colts didn't help, either.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:20 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

From Peter King's MMQB quoting gil Brandt
Quote:
“This is a draft where 13 to 17 guys I could point to and say for sure, This guy’s a first-round pick. After that, there’s a lot of starting-type players who could go anywhere. Let me put it to you this way: My guy who I have 21st overall on my list could go 64th. The guy I rank 47th could go 19th.
I really don't want to drop down below 12th in a trade out situation.

CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State
SS Derwin James, Florida State
LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
LB Roquan Smith, Georgia
OT Connor Williams, Texas
CB Josh Jackson, Iowa
DE Marcus Davenport, UTSA
DE Harold Landry, Boston College
OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

I want one of those guys on the Colts. Most are going to go between 7 - 20. I want our choice of them at #12 at worst.

Other quotes:
Quote:
His order of the quarterbacks: “Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, Jackson.”
Quote:
Biggest surprise in the top 10: “[Notre Dame] tackle Mike McGlinchey. He’ll go in the top 10.”
Quote:
Player who will go higher than everyone thinks: “Will Hernandez, guard, UTEP. Reminds me of Mike Iupati—both drafted higher than anyone thought.”
Quote:
Draft invitee who fascinates Brandt: “Leighton Vander Esch, the Boise State linebacker. He’ll be the first man ever invited to the draft who played eight-man football in high school. He’s from Salmon River High School in Riggins, Idaho. A true rising star.”
Quote:
Happiest draft invitee: “We’ve got 22 guys coming in, and maybe the happiest is a guy who won’t be picked in the first round: Shaquem Griffin [the UCF linebacker who lost his left hand because of a birth defect at age 4]. When I called his mother to invite them, she started crying because of how much this means to the family.”
Walk Worthy,
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Indiana V2 (04-09-2018), Racehorse (04-09-2018), Spike (04-09-2018), VeveJones007 (04-09-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 PM
testcase448

if they have f-cked up and missed CHubb, this wouldn't suck and might keep Luck alive long enough to actually make the playoffs again in what ever is left of his career.

Trading back again

Round 1: 12th Overall Pick (from Bills)
Trading down with the Bills still allows the Colts to take one of the top offensive linemen in the draft, Notre Dame tackle Mike McGlinchey.

Round 1: 22nd Overall Pick (from Bills)
Indianapolis doubles down on drafting offensive line talent in the first round by selecting UTEP guard Will Hernandez with their other first round pick.

Last edited by testcase448; 04-09-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcase448 View Post
if they have f-cked up and missed CHubb, this wouldn't suck and might keep Luck alive long enough to actually make the playoffs again in what ever is left of his career.

Trading back again

Round 1: 12th Overall Pick (from Bills)
Trading down with the Bills still allows the Colts to take one of the top offensive linemen in the draft, Notre Dame tackle Mike McGlinchey.

Round 1: 22nd Overall Pick (from Bills)
Indianapolis doubles down on drafting offensive line talent in the first round by selecting UTEP guard Will Hernandez with their other first round pick.
That would be terrible. If you get Edmunds and LVE out of that trade, it's worth it, but that's a disaster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dam8610 For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (04-10-2018), Racehorse (04-10-2018), VeveJones007 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
That would be terrible. If you get Edmunds and LVE out of that trade, it's worth it, but that's a disaster.
I agree. I want Luck protected as much as anyone, but that wouldn’t be the best use of picks. There are other ways to protect Luck than using two first rounders on OL prospects. Scheme will help as Reich has suggested. And building a D that helps keep Luck from having to throw 40 times a game will help as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:13 PM

Thanked 1,304 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
I agree. I want Luck protected as much as anyone, but that wouldn’t be the best use of picks. There are other ways to protect Luck than using two first rounders on OL prospects. Scheme will help as Reich has suggested. And building a D that helps keep Luck from having to throw 40 times a game will help as well.
There is no reason to spend 1st round picks doing it, but they absolutely still need to upgrade the talent on the right side, scheme change or not. Scheme only helps so much, and then you need the talent to do the job well, and that needs to be addressed.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:48 AM

Thanked 1,189 Times in 523 Posts

In a trade with the Bills scenario, I agree that I would want both 1st round picks to be on the defensive front 7.

1 or 2 of the 2nd round picks could then be O-Line as there are a lot of talented kids who should be available there. We need a right OT for sure and I would not be against drafting a talented OG as well.

But, as Dam said, drafting Edmunds / Smith at #12 and then either a DE or another LB at #22 improves that side of the ball MUCH more than replacing Mewhort/Slauson/Good/Haeg on the offensive line.

Those guys have shown they have at least a bare minimum of NFL talent when healthy.

The delta between them and a stud on the O-line, while probably measurable, is not as big as the gain at LB or DE from whom we have there.

Again, the only proven guys are Sheard and Simon at all 5 of those positions (DE, DE, SSLB, MLB, WSLB). Perhaps Basham progresses. Perhaps Autry shows he is ready for prime time. Perhaps Walker or George or Grace show that they can be the answer but they are all unknowns right now.

Massive Upgrades Needed

Walk Worthy,
Old 04-10-2018, 07:00 AM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
In a trade with the Bills scenario, I agree that I would want both 1st round picks to be on the defensive front 7.

1 or 2 of the 2nd round picks could then be O-Line as there are a lot of talented kids who should be available there. We need a right OT for sure and I would not be against drafting a talented OG as well.

But, as Dam said, drafting Edmunds / Smith at #12 and then either a DE or another LB at #22 improves that side of the ball MUCH more than replacing Mewhort/Slauson/Good/Haeg on the offensive line.

Those guys have shown they have at least a bare minimum of NFL talent when healthy.

The delta between them and a stud on the O-line, while probably measurable, is not as big as the gain at LB or DE from whom we have there.

Again, the only proven guys are Sheard and Simon at all 5 of those positions (DE, DE, SSLB, MLB, WSLB). Perhaps Basham progresses. Perhaps Autry shows he is ready for prime time. Perhaps Walker or George or Grace show that they can be the answer but they are all unknowns right now.

Massive Upgrades Needed

Walk Worthy,
Like you implied, "perhaps" is not good enough. We have to get defensive help from this draft, and we have to do it early.
Indiana V2 (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post

Massive Upgrades Needed

Walk Worthy,
I wouldn't be upset if they used all 4 (or 5 if they can get the Bills to trade 12 and 22 for 6) top 50 picks on the front 7. I'm probably in the minority there, but there's a lot of quality DL and LB talent in the top 50 of this draft.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I wouldn't be upset if they used all 4 (or 5 if they can get the Bills to trade 12 and 22 for 6) top 50 picks on the front 7. I'm probably in the minority there, but there's a lot of quality DL and LB talent in the top 50 of this draft.
Too bad we didn't do more for the OL in FA so they could've used all those picks for the defense.