ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-18-2024, 02:25 PM

Default 2024 Colts Cap

$242.500m = 2024 NFL Salary Cap
$008.299m = 2023 Colts Unused Rollover
=========
$250.799m = 2024 Colts Salary Cap

$176.026m = Top 51 Colts Salaries
$001.790m = Spots 52 and 53 on the "in-season" cap
$006.134m = Maximum possible 16-man practice squad salary. (*NOTE)
$008.422m = Dead Money (Leonard accounts for $8.00m of it)
$005.000m = In-Season "Churn" space
=========
$197.372m = 2024 Colts Current Obligations

* NOTE: It will be lower than this because many of the members will not make the $21,300 weekly pay maximum but it will go down by no more than about $1.5m as they will make the $16,800 weekly pay minimum.

$053.427m = 2024 Colts Free Cap to sign new players or re-sign our own

Significant 2024 Colts Unrestricted Free Agents:

Starters:
WR Michael Pittman Jr
NT Grover Stewart
CB Kenny Moore
S Julian Blackmon
P Rigoberto Sanchez

Important Depth:
QB Gardner Minshew
RB Zack Moss
OG Danny Pinter
DE Tyquan Lewis
DT Taven Bryan

Ten Biggest Cap Savings if Cut:

$20.250m = DT Deforest Buckner
$12.375m = OC Ryan Kelly
$10.683m = OT Braden Smith
$05.920m = TE Mo Allie-Cox
$03.500m = LB E.J. Speed
$03.360m = LB Zaire Franklin
$03.010m = WR Ashton Dulin
$02.251m = DE Kwitty Paye
$01.735m = DE Samson Ebkukam
$01.500m = DE Dayo Odeyingbo

Current 2024 Players by Position (in rough depth chart order from left to right):

QB: Anthony Richardson, Sam Ehlinger
RB: Jonathan Taylor, Evan Hull, Tyler Goodson
WR: Alec Pierce, Josh Downs, Ashton Dulin, DJ Montgomery, Tyler Cleveland, Ethan Fernes, Zavier Scott, Terrell Bynum
TE: Mo Alie-Cox, Jelani Woods, Kylen Granson, Andrew Ogletree (?), Will Mallory, Eric Tomlinson, Jordan Murray
OT: Braden Smith, Bernhard Raimann, Blake Freeland, Jake Witt, Arlington Hambright, Lewis Kidd
OG: Quenton Nelson, Will Fries, Josh Sills
OC: Ryan Kelly, Wesley French

DT: DeForest Buckner, Eric Johnson, Adetomiwa Abedawore
DE: Samson Ebukam, Kwitty Paye, Dayo Odeyingbo, Titus Lee
LB: Zaire Franklin, E.J. Speed, Grant Stuard, Issiah Land, Austin Ajieke, Liam Anderson
Saf: Rodney Thomas, Nick Cross, Daniel Scott, Kendell Brooks, Marcel Dabo, Michael Tutsie
CB: Julius Brents, Dallis Flowers, Jaylon Jones, Chris Lammons, Ameer Speed

LS: Luke Rhodes
PK: Matt Gay
P:

Have at it Freaks. What is YOUR plan for the off-seaons on how the Colts become a better team?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
AlwaysSunnyinIndy (01-18-2024), ChaosTheory (01-18-2024), Dewey 5 (01-18-2024), HoosierinFL (01-18-2024), omahacolt (01-18-2024), Spike (01-18-2024), ukcolt (01-18-2024), Voosh (01-19-2024), YDFL Commish (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 02:58 PM

Thanked 4,396 Times in 2,529 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong,nbut doesn't the salary cap only include the top 51 players, so practice squad, churn and 52/53 players do not affect it?
Old 01-18-2024, 03:05 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
Correct me if I am wrong,nbut doesn't the salary cap only include the top 51 players, so practice squad, churn and 52/53 players do not affect it?
I was getting ready to ask... OTC and Spotrac have us at $63.9m and $62.3m respectively. Does ^^ this explain the discrepancy?

Iron's numbers have always been good, so I'm just curious what those sites aren't accounting for.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:08 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,270 Times in 2,017 Posts

o

When I first read the thread title, I though that Ironshaft was giving away (or selling) a Colts hat.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Colts And Orioles For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:13 PM

To address the topic, I do not see any way we don't try to re-sign the 5 you listed as starters. Pittman and Grover will eat up a ton of the cap space. I think we try to sign the other three at market rate for starters at their level of performance, which eats up a good portion of it, as well. I think Pitt gets $20M for this cap year, and Grover is probably around $15M. Kenny, Blackman and Sanchez will add up to about $25M. That is $60M for all 5, and you have us with $53M available. I guess Mo-Alie gets cut, and we add no additional free agents.
Spike (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
I was getting ready to ask... OTC and Spotrac have us at $63.9m and $62.3m respectively. Does ^^ this explain the discrepancy?

Iron's numbers have always been good, so I'm just curious what those sites aren't accounting for.
I had seen where we had over $70 M before we signed a bunch of nobodies to future tenders. I really don't know this stuff like Iron does.
Old 01-18-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I had seen where we had over $70 M before we signed a bunch of nobodies to future tenders. I really don't know this stuff like Iron does.
So, the differences is between the "pre-season" cap calculations and the "in-season" cap calculations.

Pre-season, you do only count the top 51 cap hits, no practice squad cap hit nor account for any "churn" space when a player gets injured and you need to start paying another player to come up from the practice squad.

Almost all the "cap" sites out there are quoting the pre-season numbers. If I were to do so, I would say we have $66.350m in free cap space.

However, I think to do so misses out on the point that there is NO WAY that the team's cap experts do not account for all the things they know they will have to pay once we get in-season.

It is not like they are going to say "hey, look! We have $66.350m to spend this off-season, YOLO!!!" and then get to the end of pre-season and say "oh, crud, we overspent, we need to cut some cap to be legal."

The number I am sure that they have an eye on before the beginning of re-signing their own free agents and trying to attract others is the number where it accounts for ALL their known expenditures, not just the ones they say count during "pre-season." I think using that number is more accurate so....that is why I use it.

So, that, in a nutshell, is why the numbers are different.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ironshaft For This Useful Post:
ChaosTheory (01-18-2024), Dewey 5 (01-18-2024), Racehorse (01-18-2024), Spike (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironshaft View Post
So, the differences is between the "pre-season" cap calculations and the "in-season" cap calculations.

Pre-season, you do only count the top 51 cap hits, no practice squad cap hit nor account for any "churn" space when a player gets injured and you need to start paying another player to come up from the practice squad.

Almost all the "cap" sites out there are quoting the pre-season numbers. If I were to do so, I would say we have $66.350m in free cap space.

However, I think to do so misses out on the point that there is NO WAY that the team's cap experts do not account for all the things they know they will have to pay once we get in-season.

It is not like they are going to say "hey, look! We have $66.350m to spend this off-season, YOLO!!!" and then get to the end of pre-season and say "oh, crud, we overspent, we need to cut some cap to be legal."

The number I am sure that they have an eye on before the beginning of re-signing their own free agents and trying to attract others is the number where it accounts for ALL their known expenditures, not just the ones they say count during "pre-season." I think using that number is more accurate so....that is why I use it.

So, that, in a nutshell, is why the numbers are different.
That makes sense. I really didn't know churn space mattered that much, seeing that the contracts typically cancel out another player's salary.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:05 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Thanks Ironshaft. Unfortunately it looks like there won't be much room after we re-sign our own. Maybe we will restructure and extend some guys to open up some more cap room.

Of our UFA starters definitely need to keep MPJ and Grover. It'd be nice to keep both Moore and Blackmon, but I can see where it might come down to picking between the 2 of them. Sanchez was already the 7th highest paid punter, so hopefully we can re-sign him for about the same amount.

Of our depth guys listed I'd like to see us keep Minshew if we can get him back for reasonable backup QB money as well as Lewis. Obviously would like to see us keep Moss as well, but I'm guessing he'll want to go someplace where he can potentially start. No need to keep either Pinter or Bryan.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 07:22 PM

Thanked 4,290 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

When I first read the thread title, I though that Ironshaft was giving away (or selling) a Colts hat.

o
no you didn't