ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-18-2021, 11:45 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Barely squeaking into the playoffs with the bullshit he's had to guide this team through is still incredibly impressive. I agree that he needs to loosen the pursestrings a bit in free agency, but let's not disparage what he's been able to accomplish in very trying circumstances.
I’m sorry I lied there. We are dominating our division and earning a solid seed in the playoffs every year. We were two plays away from missing the playoffs again.

Every team has trying circumstances. But QB wasn’t the issue last year. It wasn’t a strength two years ago, but it wasn’t the biggest problem either. Lacking a franchise QB doesn’t stop him from getting more talent in the WR room. Nor does it stop him from getting more pass rush help.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:36 AM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I’m sorry I lied there. We are dominating our division and earning a solid seed in the playoffs every year. We were two plays away from missing the playoffs again.

Every team has trying circumstances. But QB wasn’t the issue last year. It wasn’t a strength two years ago, but it wasn’t the biggest problem either. Lacking a franchise QB doesn’t stop him from getting more talent in the WR room. Nor does it stop him from getting more pass rush help.
I would like to add that Ballard basically gave up the first year of his reign to get Pagano his type of player for his defensive system, while doing so with the previous regimes scouting department. So essentially that was a wasted year.
The Following User Says Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:19 AM
Post whore

Thanked 1,639 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:

The Colts were also two plays away from winning the AFC South (the Texans nearly upset the Titans in Week 17), and that doesn't even factor in the way that Buckner missed the most important game of the year and that the Titans basically got handed their win against the Colts by the NFL.

Every team has trying circumstances, but even current and former GMs acknowledge that the circumstances Ballard have had to deal with are far more challenging than what most GMs face. And I'd say Ballard has guided the franchise through to a place where they're still contenders, and will be for the foreseeable future. How many GMs could've pulled that off within 20 months of unexpectedly losing the franchise QB that was entering what was supposed to be the prime of his career and was in place when they were hired? Not many. Again, I agree with you that Ballard needs to loosen the pursestrings a bit in free agency, but that's pretty much the only criticism I would say is really justifiable based on his tenure to this point.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 AM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
I would like to add that Ballard basically gave up the first year of his reign to get Pagano his type of player for his defensive system, while doing so with the previous regimes scouting department. So essentially that was a wasted year.
Yeah I know all the excuses. Most of our scouts stayed the same. The guys at the top of the office changed like Ed Dodds.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 AM
Post whore

Quote:
The Colts were also two plays away from winning the AFC South (the Texans nearly upset the Titans in Week 17), and that doesn't even factor in the way that Buckner missed the most important game of the year and that the Titans basically got handed their win against the Colts by the NFL.

Every team has trying circumstances, but even current and former GMs acknowledge that the circumstances Ballard have had to deal with are far more challenging than what most GMs face. And I'd say Ballard has guided the franchise through to a place where they're still contenders, and will be for the foreseeable future. How many GMs could've pulled that off within 20 months of unexpectedly losing the franchise QB that was entering what was supposed to be the prime of his career and was in place when they were hired? Not many. Again, I agree with you that Ballard needs to loosen the pursestrings a bit in free agency, but that's pretty much the only criticism I would say is really justifiable based on his tenure to this point.
Injuries happen, what if Turay had been healthy this year? That is why he wants to build depth. However, there is a reason you say you are what your record is. Again, squeaking in is exactly what they did. The year before, less bounces went their way and they missed. They are keeping their head above water. Mostly because they have good talent on the team. But still lacking in very influential areas, and now we have LT to deal with. We should be focused on LT and getting Wentz more weapons. Instead we are debating spending our first on another pass rusher in a mediocre, but deep, pass rusher draft.

Every team has those trying times articles. Does it suck? Sure, but other teams have lost their guy also, FA, injury. But Ballard has been shuffling QBs, a lot of teams have QB consistency issues. Hence the mad rush for the rookie QBs this year. I don’t hold Ballard responsible for Luck or the fallout. I do hold him responsible for the things he can control though.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say “we are rebuilding, this team isn’t ready.” Then turn around and say “this team is special, they have a shot, they can do it.” This mostly comes from the fanbase. If the team is a contender then you need to fill those gaps best you can. Pass rush and wide out have been understaffed for awhile. If the team comes up short, maybe it was because you didn’t do enough to get talent on the team. And with 30-60-90 million sitting there. Did your inaction cost the team a better shot? Because I keep coming back to the end of these seasons and wonder if it’s another wasted opportunity. I know I’m preaching to the choir, but it seems to others that Ballard can do no wrong and I don’t agree with that.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 04-19-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:28 PM

Thanked 1,666 Times in 796 Posts

I mean, consider it this way. In 2011 we had a terrible team, and hired Grigson/Pagano. They started kinda hot, had a good run, but the team deteriorated pretty fast.
So we started over, this time with Ballard/Reich.
They actually started kinda slow, and there's been stops and starts, but I think we see no signs of it all falling apart like we did 3-4 years into Grigson/Pagano.
No bullshit chopping wood coach speak. no rumors of locker room dysfunction, no weird press conference where Irsay has to act like the preschool teaching getting kids to hug and make up.

Ballard has been a net positive, and him not rushing out to spend big $$ in free agency, if that's his approach, I'm OK. He's the anti-Grigson.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoosierinFL For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (04-19-2021), Oldcolt (04-19-2021), Racehorse (04-20-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:41 PM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

We have had one championship in the last 49 years. We have been signing big time free agents since Will Wolford. It has not led to dominance. This is the first time I can recall when we have someone who values line play above all else. Ballard said when hired that he would build the lines and a defense that could stop the run. Every freaking GM seems to say that. He actually has done it. Our pass rush isn't there yet but does anyone believe Ballard thinks it is? He just builds a team his way. He has done enough already that I have confidence he will get it done.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
Ironshaft (04-19-2021), Racehorse (04-20-2021), TheMugwump (04-19-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Injuries happen, what if Turay had been healthy this year? That is why he wants to build depth. However, there is a reason you say you are what your record is. Again, squeaking in is exactly what they did. The year before, less bounces went their way and they missed. They are keeping their head above water. Mostly because they have good talent on the team. But still lacking in very influential areas, and now we have LT to deal with. We should be focused on LT and getting Wentz more weapons. Instead we are debating spending our first on another pass rusher in a mediocre, but deep, pass rusher draft.

Every team has those trying times articles. Does it suck? Sure, but other teams have lost their guy also, FA, injury. But Ballard has been shuffling QBs, a lot of teams have QB consistency issues. Hence the mad rush for the rookie QBs this year. I don’t hold Ballard responsible for Luck or the fallout. I do hold him responsible for the things he can control though.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t say “we are rebuilding, this team isn’t ready.” Then turn around and say “this team is special, they have a shot, they can do it.” This mostly comes from the fanbase. If the team is a contender then you need to fill those gaps best you can. Pass rush and wide out have been understaffed for awhile. If the team comes up short, maybe it was because you didn’t do enough to get talent on the team. And with 30-60-90 million sitting there. Did your inaction cost the team a better shot? Because I keep coming back to the end of these seasons and wonder if it’s another wasted opportunity. I know I’m preaching to the choir, but it seems to others that Ballard can do no wrong and I don’t agree with that.
Buckner wasn't injured for the Titans game, he was held out on a false COVID positive. It was total bullshit that cost the Colts the division. Notice I didn't bring up Autry who was actually injured for that game.

I absolutely agree that Ballard should be held accountable for his lack of use of free agency. But to me, that's basically the only thing he's gotten wrong, and only to a certain extent. When he has swung in free agency, he's hit mostly home runs. Autry, Ebron, Houston, and Rhodes all outperformed their contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I mean, consider it this way. In 2011 we had a terrible team, and hired Grigson/Pagano. They started kinda hot, had a good run, but the team deteriorated pretty fast.
So we started over, this time with Ballard/Reich.
They actually started kinda slow, and there's been stops and starts, but I think we see no signs of it all falling apart like we did 3-4 years into Grigson/Pagano.
No bullshit chopping wood coach speak. no rumors of locker room dysfunction, no weird press conference where Irsay has to act like the preschool teaching getting kids to hug and make up.

Ballard has been a net positive, and him not rushing out to spend big $$ in free agency, if that's his approach, I'm OK. He's the anti-Grigson.
Exactly, Ballard brings organizational stability to the Colts, and that's something you can't buy in the NFL that brings sustained success to a franchise for long periods of time.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Post whore

Thanked 4,808 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Zach Wilson, without a second thought.
Good choice. But have you watched a lot of tape on Wilson?

Wilson’s durability was called into question throughout his career at BYU. He underwent surgery on his right shoulder labrum in 2019 — an injury that had been bothering him since high school — and has also dealt with a right hand injury. Wilson is also somewhat undersized at 6-foot-2 and 214 pounds, which could give teams a cause for concern.

BYU dominated most of its 2020 schedule, which was weak as hell outside of Boise, but faltered in a major test against Coastal Carolina. Fucking Coastal Carolina! Wilson struggled under the bright lights and turned in his worst performance of the season, throwing for just 240 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

But, I will say this, he's a better option than your boy Jones. Lawrence is the top QB in this class, and it really isn't debatable. The Jackoffs may fuck him up, but I would take him number 1 all day, everyday over the rest!
Old 04-19-2021, 03:47 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Good choice. But have you watched a lot of tape on Wilson?

Wilson’s durability was called into question throughout his career at BYU. He underwent surgery on his right shoulder labrum in 2019 — an injury that had been bothering him since high school — and has also dealt with a right hand injury. Wilson is also somewhat undersized at 6-foot-2 and 214 pounds, which could give teams a cause for concern.

BYU dominated most of its 2020 schedule, which was weak as hell outside of Boise, but faltered in a major test against Coastal Carolina. Fucking Coastal Carolina! Wilson struggled under the bright lights and turned in his worst performance of the season, throwing for just 240 yards, one touchdown and one interception.

But, I will say this, he's a better option than your boy Jones. Lawrence is the top QB in this class, and it really isn't debatable. The Jackoffs may fuck him up, but I would take him number 1 all day, everyday over the rest!
I've watched at least 5 games of Zach Wilson that was just the game film cut to show only his plays and several different film breakdowns that were focused on him. I personally consider 3 games to be the bare minimum to get a baseline on a player. I'm not concerned about his size, and labrums typically heal and don't recur. I already touched on why I think Wilson will succeed in the NFL, which is primarily his ability to make a play positive for the offense when it breaks down.

As for the rest of what you said, we've been over why I disagree ad nauseum, so I'll just say I disagree.