ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Post whore

Thanked 3,663 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Jones came in light and had a poor combine showing that makes his athleticism, which was one of his biggest selling points, come into question. Tillery, OTOH, is exactly what Eberflus wants in a DL if his time with Dallas and here last year is any indication. Tillery is big, long, fast for his size, and weighed in just under 300 pounds. From strictly a size and athleticism perspective, Tillery is very similar to David Irving (and again I stress, this comparison is limited to body type and on field play style), a player who produced very well when he was on the field for Dallas. If the choice is between Tillery, Jones, and Jaylon Ferguson or someone of the like at 26, Tillery is the pick for me easily.

I like the idea of picking up Simmons at 34 because he's a top 15-20 talent in this draft, but I can understand the argument against.

I think in this draft, unless someone like Clelin Ferrell unexpectedly falls, the value at edge rusher likely won't be there until the end of Round 2.
I agree that Tillery seems to fit what the Cowboys would look for in a d-lineman almost to a T. Long, athletic, tall. He might be the pick at 26, I also wonder if Omenihu might sneak in there also, he seems to fit the mold as well. I think Rennell Wren might be in that group also.

I like Jones for a couple of reasons. I thought Jones had a good combine. His 40 was lackluster but I don't care about that concerning DT's. His explosion showed up in his shuttle which was excellent, and his long jump and verticle jump. They were good. Also Jones is very advanced in technique and strategy for a DT, more so that the other guys in his class. When Bosa went down, Jones still had a good season even though he was the main focus of the opposing offensive line. I think he could have an early impact. We drafted Lewis who is very similar. Jones is bigger, has better production, and is a better athlete. I think he will be a very good internal disrupter.

I would love Simmons on this team. I think he is a top ten pick in this draft healthy. The year off doesn't scare me if I think he will become what I think he will.

I hear a lot of differing opinions on Ferguson, I'm not quite sold. I certainly don't want to spend 26 on him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
FatDT (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 PM

Thanked 1,099 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
I agree that Tillery seems to fit what the Cowboys would look for in a d-lineman almost to a T. Long, athletic, tall. He might be the pick at 26, I also wonder if Omenihu might sneak in there also, he seems to fit the mold as well. I think Rennell Wren might be in that group also.
Reading this paragraph and the one below it about Jones got me excited all over again for this draft. There are just so damn many good front 4 players available. And for the first time ever as a Colts fan I have a good reason to think our GM is going to prioritize that, take the easy win, and get one. No Anthony Gonzalez or Philip Dorsett when we need defensive help.

I read up and watched Wren about a month ago and I think he's going to be really good. As in Richard Seymour good, if he gets the coaching he needs to clean up technique and put his athleticism to work. And I think we have the DL coach that can do that. 6'5, 320, albatross wingspan, plenty of strength. I expect teams value him more than mock drafters on the internet. We might need to use a 2nd on him if we want him.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:19 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Completely forgot about Jihad Ward. He looked pretty good early this season before his ankle injury put him on IR. If he comes back healthy, he could definitely contribute to the rotation on the interior DL.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDT View Post
Reading this paragraph and the one below it about Jones got me excited all over again for this draft. There are just so damn many good front 4 players available. And for the first time ever as a Colts fan I have a good reason to think our GM is going to prioritize that, take the easy win, and get one. No Anthony Gonzalez or Philip Dorsett when we need defensive help.

I read up and watched Wren about a month ago and I think he's going to be really good. As in Richard Seymour good, if he gets the coaching he needs to clean up technique and put his athleticism to work. And I think we have the DL coach that can do that. 6'5, 320, albatross wingspan, plenty of strength. I expect teams value him more than mock drafters on the internet. We might need to use a 2nd on him if we want him.
Yeah no 'Dammit' Donald Brown. That's only an easy win with some fans who can't see past a 2nd receiver. And DK Metcalf's talent is enticing, but too many other flags for me to pick at 26 and he is the only receiver that could go in the 1st for me. I don't like WR's in the first anyway, too much of a high bust rate.

I went back and looked at Wren after reading the huge Reddit post that guy made and had us picking Wren at 26. I think that is high for him, I think right now he is a late 2nd to 4th round pick. He does have very good potential and as you can see in the graphic he actually topped out on the Next Gen Stats defensive tackle board over even Quinnen Williams. The Reddit poster claimed ASU misused him as a NT in their system and he should be more of a penetrating 3-tech. He has the first step for it, but the coaches wanted him to use his bull rush so much b/c it was effective he needs work on his other moves. Because of that I see him more as a 3rd rounder, about the same as where Chris Jones went. He will need some coaching and development, but the talent is there if he is willing. Also notice Tillery and Hill is on there as well.

I'm trying to figure out who will be available and where they might go with the picks. Ballard has said he wants an 8 man rotation on the line. We resigned Hunt so I believe we now have:

Defensive End:
Tyquan Lewis
Jabaal Sheard
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Kemoko Turay

Nose Tackle:
Margus Hunt
Grover Stewart

Under Tackle:
Denico Autry
Hassan Ridgeway
Jihad Ward

I think we will take a DT and DE in the draft. The only guys I think will definitely make the roster are Sheard, Lewis, Turay, Hunt, and Autry. Everyone else will likely be in competition. So hopefully upgrading two dline positions. I would almost like the top three picks on dline, but I have a hard time seeing them spend three on dline. Might be like last year where they spent two oline, 2 dline, and slipped another position in there. A BPA is my guess.

Last edited by Chromeburn; 03-08-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Thanked 1,197 Times in 528 Posts

Quote:
I would almost like the top three picks on dline, but I have a hard time seeing them spend three on dline.
We have SO much flexibility in free agency with the huge pile of cap space we are sitting on that almost anything is possible.

If Ballard signs in free agency:

1x UFA WR capable of being WR2 plus Inman as WR3 before competition.
1x UFA SS capable of starting plus Geathers as Safety3 and RFA tag Farley
1x UFA CB capable of starting to put alongside Wilson and Moore and then perhaps a value CB as quality depth

Then I could see the possibility of drafting 3x D-Linemen in the 1st and 2nd rounds if that is where he thinks the value is.

The above UFA signing scheme is very doable; in fact, if that is ALL that happens besides signing some low level jouneymen for depth which will happen every year, most Colts fans will be disappointed that is all we accomplished with the huge pile of cash.

If Ballard wants the D-Line "fixed" like he fixed the O-Line last year with 3 new staters, he WILL devote the resources to do that.

Walk Worthy,
The Following User Says Thank You to sherck For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 03:35 PM

Thanked 2,651 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
We resigned Hunt so I believe we now have:

Defensive End:
Tyquan Lewis
Jabaal Sheard
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Kemoko Turay
Geneo Grissom

Nose Tackle:
Margus Hunt
Grover Stewart

Under Tackle:
Denico Autry
Hassan Ridgeway
Jihad Ward

Grissom is an unrestricted free agent.
The Following User Says Thank You to AlwaysSunnyinIndy For This Useful Post:
Chromeburn (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah no 'Dammit' Donald Brown. That's only an easy win with some fans who can't see past a 2nd receiver. And DK Metcalf's talent is enticing, but too many other flags for me to pick at 26 and he is the only receiver that could go in the 1st for me. I don't like WR's in the first anyway, too much of a high bust rate.

I went back and looked at Wren after reading the huge Reddit post that guy made and had us picking Wren at 26. I think that is high for him, I think right now he is a late 2nd to 4th round pick. He does have very good potential and as you can see in the graphic he actually topped out on the Next Gen Stats defensive tackle board over even Quinnen Williams. The Reddit poster claimed ASU misused him as a NT in their system and he should be more of a penetrating 3-tech. He has the first step for it, but the coaches wanted him to use his bull rush so much b/c it was effective he needs work on his other moves. Because of that I see him more as a 3rd rounder, about the same as where Chris Jones went. He will need some coaching and development, but the talent is there if he is willing. Also notice Tillery and Hill is on there as well.

I'm trying to figure out who will be available and where they might go with the picks. Ballard has said he wants an 8 man rotation on the line. We resigned Hunt so I believe we now have:

Defensive End:
Tyquan Lewis
Jabaal Sheard
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Kemoko Turay
Geneo Grissom

Nose Tackle:
Margus Hunt
Grover Stewart

Under Tackle:
Denico Autry
Hassan Ridgeway
Jihad Ward

I think we will take a DT and DE in the draft. The only guys I think will definitely make the roster are Sheard, Lewis, Turay, Hunt, and Autry. Everyone else will likely be in competition. So hopefully upgrading two dline positions. I would almost like the top three picks on dline, but I have a hard time seeing them spend three on dline. Might be like last year where they spent two oline, 2 dline, and slipped another position in there. A BPA is my guess.
I’m still operating under the assumption that DL and EDGE are taken at 26 and 34. That would be a serious talent infusion and deep group on paper. In free agency, I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard grabs a low tier NT and an upside EDGE like Shaq Barrett.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 03-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
We have SO much flexibility in free agency with the huge pile of cap space we are sitting on that almost anything is possible.

If Ballard signs in free agency:

1x UFA WR capable of being WR2 plus Inman as WR3 before competition.
1x UFA SS capable of starting plus Geathers as Safety3 and RFA tag Farley
1x UFA CB capable of starting to put alongside Wilson and Moore and then perhaps a value CB as quality depth

Then I could see the possibility of drafting 3x D-Linemen in the 1st and 2nd rounds if that is where he thinks the value is.

The above UFA signing scheme is very doable; in fact, if that is ALL that happens besides signing some low level jouneymen for depth which will happen every year, most Colts fans will be disappointed that is all we accomplished with the huge pile of cash.

If Ballard wants the D-Line "fixed" like he fixed the O-Line last year with 3 new staters, he WILL devote the resources to do that.

Walk Worthy,
I suspect Ballard is in a holding pattern on Inman until he sees how the free agent market shapes up (and maybe even after the draft). Inman is primarily an outside receiver, so his role is redundant if you find an upgrade.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:10 AM
Administrator

Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,402 Posts

Quote:

Defensive End:
Tyquan Lewis
Jabaal Sheard
Al-Quadin Muhammad
Kemoko Turay

Nose Tackle:
Margus Hunt
Grover Stewart

Under Tackle:
Denico Autry
Hassan Ridgeway
Jihad Ward

You don't think Ward is a for sure to make the roster? I do
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
You don't think Ward is a for sure to make the roster? I do
Depends how much they invest in the dline. I think Ward has a better shot than say Muhammed. But if they draft a couple DTs or draft one and get another through FA, yeah I think he is on the bubble.