ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 AM

Default Any word on Chad Kelly?

His suspension is up, curious to see what the Colts will do with him now, practice squad? I assume he won't be the back up since they signed one for big money.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,038 Posts

I may be wrong, but I think to go to practice squad he must first be waived and clear waiver process. Should Colts not sign him to active roster and elect to waive him he is most likely claimed. Lot of QB injuries this year?
DrSpaceman (09-17-2019), Oldcolt (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty46953 View Post
I may be wrong, but I think to go to practice squad he must first be waived and clear waiver process. Should Colts not sign him to active roster and elect to waive him he is most likely claimed. Lot of QB injuries this year?
I agree Smitty, I would figure a way to get him on the roster, then try to trade him.
The Following User Says Thank You to njcoltfan For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM

Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,092 Posts

Sheard is also coming back. Are there two guys on the current roster you want to cut? That and I'm not really sold on Kelly. He looked good against second and third stringers. Same people that made Deon Cain look like an All-Pro. I could see putting him on the roster for one week while the Jets et al get a little more stabilized at qb then waive him when Sheard is ready to improve his chances that he gets thru waivers. For his sake, I hope he makes it somehow onto this squad. I think he need quality people like Reich to mentor him. He does have talent and we could use a young mobile qb to practice against.

Just read your idea (njcoltfan) about trading him. That makes a ton of sense, especially the way Ballard love him his draft choices. For Kelly's sake, I think he is best served by staying in Indiana with this organization. I'm still hopeful he somehow makes it to our practice squad

Last edited by Oldcolt; 09-17-2019 at 10:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldcolt For This Useful Post:
njcoltfan (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcolt View Post
Sheard is also coming back. Are there two guys on the current roster you want to cut? That and I'm not really sold on Kelly. He looked good against second and third stringers. Same people that made Deon Cain look like an All-Pro. I could see putting him on the roster for one week while the Jets et al get a little more stabilized at qb then waive him when Sheard is ready to improve his chances that he gets thru waivers. For his sake, I hope he makes it somehow onto this squad. I think he need quality people like Reich to mentor him. He does have talent and we could use a young mobile qb to practice against.

Just read your idea (njcoltfan) about trading him. That makes a ton of sense, especially the way Ballard love him his draft choices. For Kelly's sake, I think he is best served by staying in Indiana with this organization. I'm still hopeful he somehow makes it to our practice squad
It's an odd feeling as a fan to want success for Brissett and at same time want to see Kelly get a chance with the 1's against someone else's 1's. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing him added to roster and if some QB challenged team wants to make an offer for him or Hoyer then they at least got something in return. Given a choice I would rather they keep Kelly vs. Hoyer. Colts aren't going anywhere anyway with Hoyer under center for any period of time.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:04 PM

Thanked 1,114 Times in 612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post
I agree Smitty, I would figure a way to get him on the roster, then try to trade him.
If Josh Dobbs can get a pick, you have to think Kelly could...unless teams are scared off by the off-field.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:27 PM

Thanked 1,655 Times in 794 Posts

I liked Kelly a lot but I gotta think Hoyer has a lot more upside, and I can't see a good reason to carry 3 QBs on this roster when we need rotational depth on the defense. I'm not sure who gets cut to make room for Sheard but we need him back setting the edge desperately.
Has Houston really done anything so far? I haven't had a chance to go back and re-watch any games, and I've spent too much time ball watching (which I always do when games get tight)
Old 09-17-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I liked Kelly a lot but I gotta think Hoyer has a lot more upside, and I can't see a good reason to carry 3 QBs on this roster when we need rotational depth on the defense. I'm not sure who gets cut to make room for Sheard but we need him back setting the edge desperately.
Has Houston really done anything so far? I haven't had a chance to go back and re-watch any games, and I've spent too much time ball watching (which I always do when games get tight)
I would think just the opposite, Kelly has more upside. You know what you are getting with Hoyer. A career back up who can fill in for a few games if a starter has a minor injury.

Houston eeked out a win over Jax and got beat on a last second FG over NO. Watson put them ahead with two great back to back long throws with 30 seconds or so left against NO, then they idiotically let NO get in FG range to beat them. NO had the ball at like the 40 or 45 yard line with 7 seconds or so, they play an extremely soft coverage and just give up the 7-8 years easily to let them get into easier FG range for the win.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I would think just the opposite, Kelly has more upside. You know what you are getting with Hoyer. A career back up who can fill in for a few games if a starter has a minor injury.

Houston eeked out a win over Jax and got beat on a last second FG over NO. Watson put them ahead with two great back to back long throws with 30 seconds or so left against NO, then they idiotically let NO get in FG range to beat them. NO had the ball at like the 40 or 45 yard line with 7 seconds or so, they play an extremely soft coverage and just give up the 7-8 years easily to let them get into easier FG range for the win.
I'm pretty sure Hoosier meant Justin Houston...unless you're going straight sarcasm and I just can't read between the lines.

Last edited by VeveJones007; 09-17-2019 at 02:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VeveJones007 For This Useful Post:
DrSpaceman (09-17-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierinFL View Post
I haven't re-watched the Titans game, but it looked like they were doing fine setting the edge. How many times did Henry break outside and turn the corner? The problems (like in Week 1) were LBs getting washed out or overpursuing.