ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Thanked 2,568 Times in 1,147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Point taken. I'm pretty sure we don't have the 2015 Broncos defense though.
Agreed. The Colts defense has a ways to go to reach that type of level.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:44 PM

Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
First thing that came to my mind was that Broncos team as well- great call. Peyton was not the Manning of old and that running game was very good and the D was flat out brilliant, probably the best since 85 Bears, at the very least right on par with the 13' Ravens.

Yes, undoubtedly we have a ways to go, and I'm not going to say we're on that level to where you can simply go three and out and say "F, it, they aren't moving the ball on these guys". However I think Ballard has put together some guys that are going to be a pretty fucking solid unit coming down the stretch.

We know we have an All-Pro LB (he will get it going...) and I really think the youngsters in Okereke and Speed are both going to prove to be very very good. Can one of them become Marshall to Leonard's Singletary- I think that is very realistic.

Twice today I heard Willis referred to in the vein of Bob Sanders by two different talking heads, Holder said that the guy has looked like the fastest and hardest hitting guy since camp started and said it's just a matter of time until he emerges as a star. Him and Hooker on the back end is pretty compelling. Ya-Sin- I think he has already started to show that in short order he is going to emerge as the sticky cover guy that can take a top guy off the table.

To reach the elite level we gotta get something more out of the DL- and maybe that happens by committee, we know that's the most glaring omission on this squad and has to be top priority in the off-season.

Most importantly, I heard Frank talking today about how much they mixed it up against KC. Talked about how we played a lot more press man coverage after playing a ton of zone against ATL and OAK. He said he thought that was a big factor in us getting a lot of pressure on Mahomes. What is so encouraging there- is just the statement that we mixed things up!

No more Chopping Wood (Pags), no more of we just have to do what we do (Dungy). Nope, in Frank we have a Belicheck, a guy that knows these coordinators n the other side are too good, you have to show them different looks and be the puncher not the counter puncher. I love that we have a coach that is game planning game by game by game, hell possession by possession, LOVE IT! So tired of seeing the same thing over and over and over and seeing the OC's pick us apart. And personally I think that puts us a hell of a lot closer to a title caliber team than having a stud QB and not much else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Pez (10-09-2019), Racehorse (10-10-2019), Spike (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Truly great win last night, but it troubles me that despite our dominant O-line, our QB managed only a meager 151 yards on 29 pass attempts (5.1 yard average) and rarely attempted - much less completed - any passes over 10 yards. He needs to improve for us to get to the promised land.
Tom Brady (yeah, I went there) has played like that for years and no body cares. One bad pass. It was bad because they were in scoring position. Everything else was very good. They had the lead most of the game. He didn't need to force it down the field. He did exactly what he needed to do to keep KC from loading the box.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Post whore

Quote:
I don't think Parcells would have been happy if Simms had put up a stat line like Brisset's in KC.

Look, all Wayne'sWorld was saying is that seeing the team play like they did in KC makes you think "What if?"
Really? Go look up Simms' stats. He had a big arm to deal with the winds in the Meadowlands but Parcells teams were know for RUNNING the ball.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-09-2019), TheMugwump (10-11-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:25 PM
Post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyinIndy View Post
They played pretty good on D considering they didn't have either starting safety and their best D player on the field. Against the best offense in the NFL.

If a team wants to beat NE in bad weather in NE, then they need to be able to run the ball.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
ChoppedWood (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Tom Brady (yeah, I went there) has played like that for years and no body cares. One bad pass. It was bad because they were in scoring position. Everything else was very good. They had the lead most of the game. He didn't need to force it down the field. He did exactly what he needed to do to keep KC from loading the box.
Something else that doesn't get any pub when there's all this talk of JB dumping dumping dumping. He's thrown two deep throws down the middle that have been huge PI's for Cain. I think the one in KC was the longest penalty in the NFL this year at 53 yards. That doesn't go to anyone's stat sheet but it's a big damn play coming off the arm of the QB.

I will say that I think it was Holder that said if he throws it a 1/2 tick earlier Cain was behind them and it's a certain 6 (assuming he catches it). Nonetheless, it's evidence he WILL throw it down the field- just need to see it more frequently with the set up by these D's that will be loading the box to try to stop the run.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChoppedWood For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Brady does not play like this at all.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Something else that doesn't get any pub when there's all this talk of JB dumping dumping dumping. He's thrown two deep throws down the middle that have been huge PI's for Cain. I think the one in KC was the longest penalty in the NFL this year at 53 yards. That doesn't go to anyone's stat sheet but it's a big damn play coming off the arm of the QB.

I will say that I think it was Holder that said if he throws it a 1/2 tick earlier Cain was behind them and it's a certain 6 (assuming he catches it). Nonetheless, it's evidence he WILL throw it down the field- just need to see it more frequently with the set up by these D's that will be loading the box to try to stop the run.
If I recall correctly, Cain did not have his defenders beat on either occasion, and was actually double or triple covered both times. So I don't give credit to Brissett for the fact that we lucked out on getting PI penalties in those circumstances. That seems like playing with fire instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaka For This Useful Post:
rcubed (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
If I recall correctly, Cain did not have his defenders beat on either occasion, and was actually double or triple covered both times. So I don't give credit to Brissett for the fact that we lucked out on getting PI penalties in those circumstances. That seems like playing with fire instead.
Anyone got the all 22 on this one? Holder said Cain had cleared and just needed an earlier pass...

I do give him credit, those are throws WE HAVE TO THROW to keep these Defenses off balance, have to do it. Can't have it both ways, can't gripe that all he does is check down (admittedly he does it more than I want to see), but then bitch when he throws it deep but guys are covered...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:10 PM

Thanked 4,275 Times in 1,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppedWood View Post
Anyone got the all 22 on this one? Holder said Cain had cleared and just needed an earlier pass...

I do give him credit, those are throws WE HAVE TO THROW to keep these Defenses off balance, have to do it. Can't have it both ways, can't gripe that all he does is check down (admittedly he does it more than I want to see), but then bitch when he throws it deep but guys are covered...
Luck could have hit it to Cain. He was late
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to omahacolt For This Useful Post:
Puck (10-10-2019), Racehorse (10-12-2019)