ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherck View Post
After doing some key term searches, I cannot find any evidence that the Colts every talked to Campbell or Bouye. I can find a lot of sports news articles saying things like "a good fit for xxxx is the Colts" but not anything that actually says we were talking to them.

I am not saying that we were not talking to them, but I find no evidence that we were.

Anyway, I think the 2019 off-season will be different because he is/has established the team's identity this season. Regardless of our ending record (which I now think will be around 8 wins), this team's identity will be established on:

Offense: Luck, Hilton, Doyle, Ebron, AC, Nelson, Kelly, Smith, Hines and Wilkins.

Defense: Hunt (assuming he is re-signed), Sheard, Turay, Leonard, Walker, Hooker (I am not sold on any of the CBs as a long term solution).

I expect us to add at least a couple of higher priced free agents (CB and WR especially) this season to help fill in the holes. If Ballard sits on his pile of money again, I will be very surprised.

Walk Worthy,
We inquired, that's all I'm saying we did. I know we looked into Bouye bc my buddy's sister works for the Colts and she said they were talking to his agent. But it didn't go anywhere. Pags was a lame duck, Luck's future was up in the air, the big FA's were not interested. And I don't know if Ballard wanted to spend a ton bc things were going to change. Some of those tweets and things are just put out by speculative articles for landing destinations. But some are leaked by the agents, the ones where they say interested teams but not linked to an article.

But like I said it doesn't really matter. I'm sure we inquire about a lot of guys, and it doesn't go much beyond that.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
After doing some key term searches, I cannot find any evidence that the Colts every talked to Campbell or Bouye. I can find a lot of sports news articles saying things like "a good fit for xxxx is the Colts" but not anything that actually says we were talking to them.

I am not saying that we were not talking to them, but I find no evidence that we were.

Anyway, I think the 2019 off-season will be different because he is/has established the team's identity this season. Regardless of our ending record (which I now think will be around 8 wins), this team's identity will be established on:

Offense: Luck, Hilton, Doyle, Ebron, AC, Nelson, Kelly, Smith, Hines and Wilkins.

Defense: Hunt (assuming he is re-signed), Sheard, Turay, Leonard, Walker, Hooker (I am not sold on any of the CBs as a long term solution).

I expect us to add at least a couple of higher priced free agents (CB and WR especially) this season to help fill in the holes. If Ballard sits on his pile of money again, I will be very surprised.

Walk Worthy,
I asked this in the offseason, and it seems the rule is based over a number of years, not a single year, but still, at some point Ballard will have to spend more money just to meet the salary cap minimum. You can't consistently be $50 million under the cap.

Nor would it make any sense to do so long term.

There will still be plenty of holes to fill this offseason and you could still almost pick a group and add to it with FA money for upgrading.

DL, OL, LBer, WRs, secondary.......any of them.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:47 PM

Thanked 4,361 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpaceman View Post
I asked this in the offseason, and it seems the rule is based over a number of years, not a single year, but still, at some point Ballard will have to spend more money just to meet the salary cap minimum. You can't consistently be $50 million under the cap.

Nor would it make any sense to do so long term.

There will still be plenty of holes to fill this offseason and you could still almost pick a group and add to it with FA money for upgrading.

DL, OL, LBer, WRs, secondary.......any of them.
I agree. The problem is that worthy free agents are often tagged or resigned quickly. This means we will be doing the chase all over again and get left at the altar. That said, we will be much more attractive for free agents with Luck being Luck again.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Thanked 1,476 Times in 814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post
I agree. The problem is that worthy free agents are often tagged or resigned quickly. This means we will be doing the chase all over again and get left at the altar. That said, we will be much more attractive for free agents with Luck being Luck again.
that last part is the key.....and having a competent staff helps as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to rcubed For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:

Walk Worthy,
I really believe that what has been the biggest contributor to establishing this teams identity and culture is the stark contrast between Pags and Reich.

Ballard, even after a few months could've known what he had in Reich. But, when the bullets started flying and the games are being played, then it becomes clear what Reich brings to the team.

Look at Reich at the post game pressers after a loss. He looks so pissed, like he wants to rip somebodies head off. But at the same time he's cordial, as informative as he can be and will crack a smile once in awhile.

Pags on the other hand was shitting his pants and repeating one catch phrase after another, while never taking the blame.

I'm not discounting the players here. They also contribute to a winning culture. But my experience, at least in business is...watch the leader, and most of his team will perform to the same standards as he has himself, and no more, than the expectations that he has set for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YDFL Commish For This Useful Post:
Coltsalr (10-11-2018), Racehorse (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Historian

Thanked 3,247 Times in 1,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njcoltfan View Post

Didn’t Vinnie miss like a 27 yard field goal in that game ???

o

No.

These are all of the Colts' possessions for that game.

1st HALF

PUNT

TOUCHDOWN

PUNT

FIELD GOAL

END OF FIRST HALF

2nd HALF

TURNOVER ON DOWNS

TOUCHDOWN

PUNT

PUNT

PUNT

END OF 2nd HALF

OVERTIME

The Colts did not possess the ball at all in the Overtime period.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0901030sdg.htm

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 10-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

No doubt, whatsoever.

Even though I thought that the decision to go for it was not prudent, I will still take Frank Reich over Chuck Pagano any day of the week.

In fact, even before a single snap was played this season, I pointed out that Frank Reich (as a player) engineered 2 of the most historic comebacks in football history.

In 1984, his Maryland Terrapins were losing to Miami, Fla. by a score of 31-0 at halftime. Maryland came back to win by a score of 42-40.

8 years later, his Buffalo Bills were losing to the Oilers by a score of 35-3 early in the 3rd quarter of the 1992 AFC Wildcard Playoff game. Reich and company came back to win by a score of 41-38, in overtime.

I like the notion of having a guy with that kind of resolve at the helm.

o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racehorse View Post

I hope that he engineers a season comeback to steal the division. It is ripe for the taking.

o

Warren Moon and the 1993 Oilers started that season out at 1-4, then won their next 11 games to finish at 12-4.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/re...Teams/1993-hou

Let's start with the Jets today.

o

Bert Jones, Johnny Unitas, Earl Morrall ))))))))).lll) Jim Harbaugh, Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck
Old 10-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts And Orioles View Post
o

Warren Moon and the 1993 Oilers started that season out at 1-4, then won their next 11 games to finish at 12-4.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/re...Teams/1993-hou

Let's start with the Jets today.

o
o

Next time, just shut up and watch the game.

o