ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-05-2023, 08:59 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts
Default 10/5 indystar

Colts mailbag: Does Chris Ballard regret trading Stephon Gilmore?
Nate Atkins
Indianapolis Star

It's been a busy week on West 56th Street.

The Colts are fresh off a second straight overtime game, healing up with a walkthrough on Wednesday. They're figuring out the fall-out at cornerback with Dallis Flowers' season-ending Achilles tear. And they're working in an All-Pro running back who is finally practicing with the team again.

It creates a giant unknown for just what this Colts team can be. Through a quarter of the season, they are 2-2 and in a four-way tie in the AFC South.

It also leads to questions from you all, which lets us talk through it together.

(To participate in future mailbags, email longer questions to me at natkins@indystar.com, and follow me on Twitter to see when I put out the call.)

Let's get to it:

Inside IndyStar: Talking Colts football with reporters Nate and Joel

Rookie cornerback Jaylon Jones will factor into the Indianapolis Colts' plans at the position after the loss of Dallis Flowers.
Question: "Is there a plan you’re aware of at CB following the Flowers injury?" -- @boileralum1 via Twitter

Answer: The loss of Dallis Flowers for the season took a problem position on the Colts roster and sprung a leak in it. It's fair to not only wonder where they go from here but also how we got here.

Colts news:Colts will choose between inexperienced CB options to replace injured starter

Let's start with where they're at: With Flowers out for the season, the Colts will start JuJu Brents in a full-time role as their No. 1 cornerback. He's played just two games in the NFL, after the team made him a healthy scratch the first two weeks because he missed so much of the spring and summer with wrist and hamstring injuries. He's had one stellar game against the Ravens, when he forced a fumble to spark a win; and one rough one against the Rams, when he gave up the game-winning touchdown to Puke Nacua in an overtime loss to the Rams.

They'll split the other outside cornerback spot between Darrell Baker Jr. and seventh-round Texas A&M product Jaylon Jones. Baker was the original starter in that spot ahead of Brents, but a rough pair of games against Calvin Ridley and Tank Dell took him out of the circle of trust, and he was inactive for two games. Jones has played seven snaps in the NFL and has been focused heavily on his gunner role on special teams.

The Colts have Kenny Moore II at the nickel spot to help communicate like an extra safety on the field. When the Colts are in base, they can play him at outside cornerback opposite Brents, limiting the exposure of that depth a little.

I wonder if they might play Moore outside even more by trusting either Julian Blackmon or Nick Cross at his nickel spot, as the other plays strong safety. That's like a secondary's version of how basketball teams get the five best players on the court in this situation.

The Colts built this season as a trial by fire on the back end, and that's exactly what they are getting.

The Indianapolis Colts traded Pro Bowl cornerback Stephon Gilmore to the Dallas Cowboys this spring.
Question: "Does Chris Ballard regret trading Stephon Gilmore for a 5th round pick yet?" -- John Paul Jackson via Twitter

Answer: This spring, the Colts rolled back general manager Chris Ballard but brought in a first-time coach in Shane Steichen to develop a rookie quarterback with the No. 4 pick, which became Anthony Richardson. The message to a veteran like Stephon Gilmore was that this was going to take a bit, as it almost always does with a rookie. A five-time Pro Bowler turning 33 years old at cornerback didn't have that time, so he asked for a trade to a contender, and off he went to the Cowboys for a fifth-round pick.

Ballard leaned into that longer timeline by drafting a 21-year-old quarterback and then three cornerbacks. When he lost Isaiah Rodgers Sr. to a gambling suspension, he just used it to widen the runway for these young players. That's why he's called the Gilmore trade mutually beneficial. I imagine he'd stick to that agreement rather than invite a second situation with a player who doesn't want to be here.

I just wonder if he wishes he'd seen Richardson's ascension happening earlier on. (I'll admit that I didn't either. Not this quickly.) Richardson already looks dynamic as a runner and passer and is not afraid of the stage. His coach looks like a fantastic fit, with Richardson and a locker room empowered by his bold, strategic edge. You could argue that with Jonathan Taylor, they could be a playoff team with one outside cornerback. There were a number available this spring, such as bringing back Rock Ya-Sin for one year and $4 million.

The main focus of this season is the development of Richardson, of course, but I think a playoff game would be an invaluable test for a 21-year-old. It'd make next year's stage not so bright, which can accelerate the timeline. Jalen Hurts got a playoff start in his first season starting for Steichen, and he ascended the next year to the Super Bowl and the MVP runner-up.

Perhaps the Colts can still get him that, but even then, you'll just be wondering what more they could have been.

Indianapolis Colts All-Pro running back Jonathan Taylor could return for Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans.
Question: "Will Jonathan Taylor play this week? And if so what do you think his reps will look like?" -- Karson Thorpe via Twitter

Answer: We will find out more on Thursday, when we will see Taylor on the practice field for the first time since Week 13 of last season. He had an estimated full practice in Wednesday's walkthrough, and the Colts have been talking as if we could see him Sunday. The main challenge is building up to football shape when he's had a 10-month layoff, and he'll only get two real practices to do it in.

That's why I would bet on a pitch count if he plays this week. The presence and trust with Zack Moss allows the Colts to ease Taylor in this way.

If Taylor is indeed back, he will likely welcome fewer carries; after all, as he can focus on staying healthy and low-mileage for the free agent market. The Colts could see Moss as the better option in short yardage and on third downs to do just that. It would keep Taylor efficient and doing what he does best, which is to be the most explosive runner in football.

FOR SUBSCRIBERS: What does adding Jonathan Taylor to Anthony Richardson mean for the Colts?

That explosiveness could be what the Colts need to influence defenses and unleash Richardson some more.

"We’ve got to be more efficient in the run game and that’s including myself," Richardson said. "Whenever there are designed QB runs, I have to hit the hole and make sure it works. That’s developing the run game a little bit more and being more firm and strong. That’ll get us the deep shots.”

I could see a 20-10 carries split between Taylor and Moss once they're both humming. The two complement each other well and can let Steichen be even more choosy on when to run Richardson, whose health is so important.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:37 AM

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,557 Posts

In hindsight, trading Gilmore for a 5th round pick was a mistake, even though he was never a good as advertised while he was a Colt!
Old 10-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CletusPyle View Post
In hindsight, trading Gilmore for a 5th round pick was a mistake, even though he was never a good as advertised while he was a Colt!
I read it somewhere, Gilmore wanted to be on a contender, a better chance to play for a super bowl. Whats the mantra, better to have volunteers than hostages?

Last edited by JAFF; 10-05-2023 at 11:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
CletusPyle (10-06-2023)