ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum   ColtFreaks.com Home Page

Go Back   ColtFreaks.com - Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum > Indianapolis Colts Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-06-2023, 09:53 AM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Session View Post
If he’s still hitting on all cylinders then I think they have to work hard to negotiate but if they can’t get him what he needs I think they’ll need to let him go.

I hate that but I do feel like the one thing this franchise can typically get right is identifying RB talent. The only major whiff, in my 30 years, was Richardson. I have faith they’d address the gap there with competence.
Donald Brown, Vick Ballard?
Old 02-06-2023, 11:23 AM
Post whore

Thanked 3,661 Times in 2,046 Posts

If we don’t pay him, what are we replacing his production with? I know you don’t get better getting rid of talent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chromeburn For This Useful Post:
Oldcolt (02-06-2023), Racehorse (02-06-2023), YDFL Commish (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,647 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YDFL Commish View Post
Yeah, maybe Donald Brown because he was a 1st Rounder. He was a decent complimentary RB and could hit the occasional homerun, but that's not what you want to spend a 1st on.

Vick Ballard, though, was a pretty good pick in the 5th round. He looked like he could be our starter going forward until he blew his ACL in 2013 and then his Achilles in 2014. Never could make it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
If we don’t pay him, what are we replacing his production with? I know you don’t get better getting rid of talent.
That's the balancing act and gamble. RB is the easiest position to replace and we've had a pretty good run bringing in guys. None of them measure up to Taylor, but they also combine for less than what Taylor costs.

Hypothetically... does Zack Moss + Deon Jackson + a rookie + the cap benefit of all three together being 1/4 the potential cost of Jonathan Taylor outweigh the monster production we've seen JT can have + huge cap hit + the risk RB's have of falling off a cliff.

I love JT, but other dudes get paid to do that math (which I butchered above).
The Following User Says Thank You to ChaosTheory For This Useful Post:
YDFL Commish (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 01:20 PM

Almost every team has a running back on their roster, that you think is "ok". They are easy to find, i suspect you could almost take 32 RB's out of this draft alone and they could all be productive given a free shot at the starting role. But the special ones are harder to find, but then cost a lot more. RB's that can be on the field for all 3 downs are getting rarer and rarer.
Old 02-06-2023, 03:11 PM

Thanked 2,253 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFF View Post
Getting yardage on each carry. Rookie E James got positive yardage most carries. No 2nd and 15 to go.
I think that you underestimate pass blocking by a RB. Edge may have been the best to ever do it, with due respect to Walter Payton.

JT was very underwhelming as a pass blocker last season...and that's being kind. In his previous seasons he was merely adequate.

There is also the fact that JT gets pulled in passing situations. If he wants to get paid he needs to become a complete back.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:21 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
I think that you underestimate pass blocking by a RB. Edge may have been the best to ever do it, with due respect to Walter Payton.

JT was very underwhelming as a pass blocker last season...and that's being kind. In his previous seasons he was merely adequate.

There is also the fact that JT gets pulled in passing situations. If he wants to get paid he needs to become a complete back.
The pass blocking is secondary. Taylor and a “good” O-line can get a team 3-4 yd/carry. Short yardage 3rd down situations. Taylor can break one long at any time, bigger threat than pass protection.

I love the Edge, from pass blocking to taking a cab to preseason camp in Terra Haute. Taylor is a different guy and he helps the Colts more by carrying the ball
F
The Following User Says Thank You to JAFF For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:21 PM

Thanked 1,324 Times in 748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTheory View Post
Yeah, maybe Donald Brown because he was a 1st Rounder. He was a decent complimentary RB and could hit the occasional homerun, but that's not what you want to spend a 1st on.

Vick Ballard, though, was a pretty good pick in the 5th round. He looked like he could be our starter going forward until he blew his ACL in 2013 and then his Achilles in 2014. Never could make it back.
You beat me to it. Ballard was actually pretty good until he got hurt, especially for a 5th rounder. If he had stayed healthy then Grigs may not have wasted a 1st rounder on Richardson. Although as incompetent as Grigs he probably still would have (or wasted the 1st rounder in the draft).

Last edited by IndyNorm; 02-06-2023 at 08:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IndyNorm For This Useful Post:
Racehorse (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I find it hard to view Brown objectively because I have a lot of respect for how he finished for us vs how he started. I hated that pick, admittedly, but I felt like the way he finished here was likely what Polian saw when he made that move. I’ll concede my emotions probably okay too much within that context.

I don’t think Ballard had a talent issue. A better argument is a guy like Duron Carter, but for everyone like him - there’s a Mike Hart who I felt probably could have done more in the right situation.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:23 PM

Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromeburn View Post
But we can't keep putting big money in less valuable positions like guard and LB. He is great, but we can get 80% of his production for 10% of the money of his next contract likely.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:56 PM
Post whore

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
But we can't keep putting big money in less valuable positions like guard and LB. He is great, but we can get 80% of his production for 10% of the money of his next contract likely.
Sounds a lot like Polian. Spend money on the edges, find value at the interior. Find guys who played 3+ years in college, guys who will or did graduate, guys who were team captains. Try to keep them if possible.

I still keep Nelson. He is a great player. He is the best Colts guard, Ive seen. Dumping talent doesn't make sense. He rebounds and has a great season, it will benefit the team. Get him healthy, and the Colts will run left all day long. Let Raimann learn from the best.

Get Nelson healthy and lean on his Leadership. What he can do, when healthy, cant be measured by analytics. Its football, where 11 guys working together make it happen. Its not baseball, were one guy has a big impact